WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HE washers and clogged drains

Justfishing

Reaction score
Does anyone experience clogged washing machine drains with an HE washer. I have had a second clogged/slow drain since getting an HE washer 3 years ago. Didnt have a clogged drain in nearly 30 years before. I am talking dedicated drain for washer not the main. I was thinking maybe the low water doesnt adequately flush the lint.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Check the internal screen, if it has one. It could be restricted, slowing down the flow.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Does anyone experience clogged washing machine drains with an HE washer. I have had a second clogged/slow drain since getting an HE washer 3 years ago. Didnt have a clogged drain in nearly 30 years before. I am talking dedicated drain for washer not the main. I was thinking maybe the low water doesnt adequately flush the lint.
From my understanding the drain pumps love to fail on these... Our washer in Havasu (2.5 yo Maytag just shit the bed...working on getting a tech out to fix it.

Justfishing

Reaction score
From my understanding the drain pumps love to fail on these... Our washer in Havasu (2.5 yo Maytag just shit the bed...working on getting a tech out to fix it.
I am talking about water on the floor from a slow/clogged drain pipe. The washer is not leaking but the house drain is over flowing.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I am talking about water on the floor from a slow/clogged drain pipe. The washer is not leaking but the house drain is over flowing.
ahh gotcha ours failed with a half tub of water...if yours is actual drain pipe then a different issue..

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you've done, but I fought a slow drain on a washer for a few years, the main problem was, I was getting a lot of lint out, but not anything the like the ball the plumber found.;)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I think I've cleaned off the equivalent of an entire German Shepard dog:

1711375824092.jpeg
1711375851083.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The wife cleans out the drain every week and we have never had an issue. We don’t have any pets though.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the point, his house drains are clogging up, and backfilling, not his washing machine.
The clogged filter might be causing this by not letting enough water pressure when the washer drains to keep the line clear. Maybe??

Bear Down

Reaction score
had this happen...

had to snake the whole main line. I snaked about 60 ft with the snake i had but had to go to Home Depot and get a commercial snake that went to the street and that did it for me..

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
The clogged filter might be causing this by not letting enough water pressure when the washer drains to keep the line clear. Maybe??
This was my thought, reduced flow causing build-up down stream. The powder type soaps are horrible, and turn into some grout substance in the pipes. The HE machines are designed to flow a minimal amount of water as well, so it won't flush as much "gunk" in general, be it soap, pet hair or whatever.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Most people use way too much soap in HE washers. Soap can build up. Run an empty load with no soap and see how much bubbles it produces in your washer.

Just an fyi