WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Heading to Paso Robles...winery input

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Taking my lady friend and heading to Paso Robles for some winery tours, and maybe see Hearst Castle. I read through some of the older threads, any dont miss suggestions winery wise? We will be there Sun through Wed if that makes a difference. Neither of us have been, so I am thinking Daou and Justin, but also looking for others that might no be on my radar. THX.

schrader23

Reaction score
Taking my lady friend and heading to Paso Robles for some winery tours, and maybe see Hearst Castle. I read through some of the older threads, any dont miss suggestions winery wise? We will be there Sun through Wed if that makes a difference. Neither of us have been, so I am thinking Daou and Justin, but also looking for others that might no be on my radar. THX.
Try Halter Ranch and Tablas Creek

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Austin Hope

636332E4-ABBD-43DF-AC76-1BA3D9DE47DE.jpeg

charred1

Reaction score
We went last year. Had a great time and we aren’t wine people. Justin was really nice. Just make sure you say Paso Robles right! For some reason I had a hard time with it until they wrote it out for me.
Sounds like Pass-o Row-bulls. Lol!!

DLC

Reaction score
Down town Paso park area lots of restaurants & bars, ice cream / candy store etc

harvest time / Fall is a great time to be up there

DLC

Reaction score
Hearst castle make reservations / buy tickets before you go. You want to pick your time Slot. They have a few different tour options

you park at the bottom of the hill and buss you up to the casa

Meaney77

Reaction score
Opolo winery is super cool, the grounds are pretty amazing and they have food.

Tin city is cool to check out but I believe its all beer.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i enjoyed the smaller wineries the best. check out Whalebone was the biggest of the small places. Tolo, was just one room when we went and it was awesome. the big winerys felt too stuffy. @beerrun is spot on with the olive oil tasting, not sure if that was the place we went, but it was really interesting. we used a company to drive us around. i would highly recommend these guys. we had a blast with our driver. they had some sort of agreement that allowed him to cruise through a couple of the wineries on their access roads through the hills and stuff that was awesome. we paid extra so we were the only ones in the jeep, and i would recommend the same, it could get a little tight with a few more people.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Peachy Canyon and Castoro, both on the west side of 46. Great little wineries with excellent wines

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peachy Canyon and Castoro, both on the west side of 46. Great little wineries with excellent wines
And then just west on the other side of the road, Grey Wolf.

framer1

Reaction score
Those two are tourist traps. Do some research and find some of the smaller winery's. A lot more fun. I live in Paso Robles and when anybody comes out to visit they never want to go to those two wineries.

framer1

Reaction score
Tin City.... winery's and best brewery around( barrel house)//. all in one.. really cool atmosphere and usually has live music on weekends..

That is a fun place to go....Lot of stuff to do.

seanroberts

Reaction score
Justin Winery, been there since they were small. Enjoy your trip.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We went last year. Had a great time and we aren’t wine people. Justin was really nice. Just make sure you say Paso Robles right! For some reason I had a hard time with it until they wrote it out for me.
Sounds like Pass-o Row-bulls. Lol!!
Thats just some uppity peeps.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Dark Star used to be awesome…small and personal but its been a while

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Peachy Canyon is good. Went to a wedding there a couple of years ago.

f12517

Reaction score
Hearst Ranch winery. Their tasting room is right on the beach. Epic views

Cdog

Reaction score
I’ve hit up Robert Hall a couple of times. It’s the closest to the track in Buttonwillow. I don’t know if it’s better than any other but it s always a good time

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
My wife and I like the smaller wineries but some of the bigger ones are cool and/or wine is too good to pass up. My wife chooses her favorite based on the presence of cats.

Bigger Wineries:
Justin
Daou

Smaller Wineries:
Whalebone - Cats and big ol' English bulldog, mellow barn style building
Hammersky - Awesome rolling vineyard
Brecon - Semi modern building, love dogs, good wine
Law - French style wines, crazy concrete/glass building on hilltop, 2 cats
Halter Ranch - Good view and really cool tasting room

Wineries we didn't care for:
Eberle - Tasting room wasn't much of anything, didn't do the cave tour
J Lohr - Good wine, too commercial, building and outdoor weren't anything special
Opolo - Didn't allow dogs even though it's outdoors
Rangeland - Cool property, wine wasn't great
Calcareous - Hilltop but nothing else special
Adelaida - It was pretty good, a little too commercial

We want to try Austin Hope

Do yourself a favor and take your lady friend to Fish Gaucho. There's a couple of speakeasys in town as well.

Iron Oaks Winery - It's in town and I've never been. A buddy went and said that I need to check it out. They have a cool space with law enforcement patches and they have live music and grass fed burgers some nights.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Eberly, Opolo, Daou, and Justin Wineries all day long. Lots of quaint food joints around the center of town square with great food. Enjoy, as this will be our next trip very soon.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If it's your first time going hit what I call (others may too, not sure) "The West Side Loop" go up lake nacimiento drive to Adelaide, take that to Vineyard Dr. Over to 46 West. Hit any of the wineries along there. Many were already noted here. Everybody has different tastes so who cares what people suggest for good wine. Smaller wineries are really cool cause you will typically be talking to someone that truly knows the wine. Possibly the owner and/or wine maker.

If you're lucky at Walebone they will have their tri tip sliders. Absolutely KILLER!!!

Daou has gorgeous views and tasting room, but expensive. Law is in a fantastic location also. Denner is a beautiful facility with great wines and expensive. Several have changed names and ownership over the years, but you cannot go wrong with any of them. I have never been able to find at least 1 wine at each winery that I liked.

BTW, the east side of the 101 has tons of GREAT wineries that aren't quiet as well known but just as good (my favorite is Cinquain) but the scenery isn't quiet as fantastic. I'd suggest that side for the 2nd trip up.

Lumpy

Reaction score
If it's your first time going hit what I call (others may too, not sure) "The West Side Loop" go up lake nacimiento drive to Adelaide, take that to Vineyard Dr. Over to 46 West. Hit any of the wineries along there. Many were already noted here. Everybody has different tastes so who cares what people suggest for good wine. Smaller wineries are really cool cause you will typically be talking to someone that truly knows the wine. Possibly the owner and/or wine maker.

If you're lucky at Walebone they will have their tri tip sliders. Absolutely KILLER!!!

Daou has gorgeous views and tasting room, but expensive. Law is in a fantastic location also. Denner is a beautiful facility with great wines and expensive. Several have changed names and ownership over the years, but you cannot go wrong with any of them. I have never been able to find at least 1 wine at each winery that I liked.

BTW, the east side of the 101 has tons of GREAT wineries that aren't quiet as well known but just as good (my favorite is Cinquain) but the scenery isn't quiet as fantastic. I'd suggest that side for the 2nd trip up.
What he said!

Definitely go to the “Speak Easy”!!!!! Ask and you shall find!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Chronic Cellars is a small winery back of the 46 and its kind of cool to check out.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Wines (not wineries) we enjoy:
  • Daou
  • Justin
  • Austin Hope
  • Eberle
Each winery makes good everyday drinking wine but Justin, Daou and Austin Hope have very good reserve wines. Still not in the league of Napa or Italy but very good nonetheless IMO.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Justin has great tasting wine but they’ve gone boujie AF for what the wine is. Everyone there is trying to show off their latest Coach bag purchase lol
That's why you roll up in a big ass diesel truck with a wild pig leg in a game bag sticking out of your cooler. Make sure they understand that it's still Central CA 😂

True story but it was at Law Estates Winery and it was a 2004 straight piped F350 diesel... wife was super embarrassed.

Since then, I've changed a lot. I bought a bigger cooler to hide my redneckery from the pinky out wine drinkers 🤣

Going in November for wine and ram/pig hunting. It's the anniversary trade off 👍

WYRD

Reaction score
Tobin James if you like reds, try the fatboy👍

Dunerking

Reaction score
Headed up next weekend with the wife and BIL and his wife…taking notes on all the great info! Looking forward to some. Ice weather and good times! Hope to stop in at my pops place in Nipomo. Really like to hit the speakeasy as that sounds most appealing!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That's why you roll up in a big ass diesel truck with a wild pig leg in a game bag sticking out of your cooler. Make sure they understand that it's still Central CA 😂

True story but it was at Law Estates Winery and it was a 2004 straight piped F350 diesel... wife was super embarrassed.

Since then, I've changed a lot. I bought a bigger cooler to hide my redneckery from the pinky out wine drinkers 🤣

Going in November for wine and ram/pig hunting. It's the anniversary trade off 👍
We rolled up to Cronic Cellars once in my uncle's '98 1500 Silverado with an old fridge laying down in the bed. Parked right next to a brand new Ferrari. Went in and did some tasting then came out and had a colorado pallet cleanser before going to the next place.

We may or may not have been asked to leave a winery or 2 for cleansing our pallets in the parking lot before going to the next place.

Last edited:

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
And if no one mentioned it, Joes for breakfast.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Regarding the Hearst Castle tour I don't think this time of year if would be too busy. It's totally worth it. I've taken a couple of tours and my favorite is the Bedroom tour up top, I found it very interesting. As far as wine tasting goes, there are so many great ones. I would stop at Harmony Winery on the way up, they have an incredible wine but I forget the name. I love Justin Isosceles, it's my favorite, their property is really nice but it's pretty far out of Paso proper. Last time I was up in Paso we went to some small family owned wineries just off the road and they were incredible.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Justin Isosceles
This is also my favorite wine of all times.

Just a reminder for everyone, if you ever go up to Paso Robles on the 4th of July, they have a really cool tractor parade around the town square. A really good, all American parade. In the center of the town square the firemen set of a huge vat of outstanding chili, but you need to bring your own bowl, bucket, or plate for them to serve it to ya. A really unique experience.

Last edited:

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that commented, one last question....if you Uber to a winery, how hard is it to get another Uber back or to another winery? I have looked at some of the tours but we want to do our own time table and not feel rushed. Limo is kind of cost prohibitive with just 2 of us.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that commented, one last question....if you Uber to a winery, how hard is it to get another Uber back or to another winery? I have looked at some of the tours but we want to do our own time table and not feel rushed. Limo is kind of cost prohibitive with just 2 of us.

I didn’t have any issues at the main wineries but cell service can be spotty at some of the remote wineries although most had WiFi I could rob.

Chevy5150

Reaction score

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
After the fact I know. But here are some of our favorites
We are members at Eberly & Vina Robles across the Highway. So those are pluses for us.
Smaller ones like Midnight. And others on that road are just nice to visit.
I’m not a fan of Tobin James wine but the atmosphere is super fun. But that’s why they there is a 1000 wineries
We found Summerwood and Niner to be nice.
We now try to hit a smaller winery on every trip.
As others have said. Make the trip up on the backroads toward the lake and just stop at wherever. Most are always very pleasant and just a fun time.
Wish I could remember the olive tasting house back up there. Awesome
Another is Bassetti almost to Cambria on 46. Off the path but very family friendly and not cheap but some awesome olive oils.

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Make a reservation and eat here. Its our favorite restaurant in Paso.

Before dinner go to the "The Piccolo" Roof top bar

Going to have to do this next time.
We are there for Carly Pearce at Vina Robles amphitheater first of November
Thanks for the heads up👍

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Justin is a long freaking drive out to their winery. Gas up!