WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Poor fuel mileage...Normal?

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 C/C 4x4 with a 6.2 gas motor (E-85 capable) 6 speed, stock engine, no huge tires, factory exhaust, 135k miles...... question...Any ideas what, if any, I can do to help the fuel mileage? I'm only getting about 13 mpg, even worse when I pull my boat...Programmer? Exhaust? If it is what it is, so be it....just wondering if any of you folks have experienced this and or done anything to help it? Thanks in advance

Waterheater

Reaction score
I have a 2010 6.2. Around town it is right at 13.5 to 14. Don't matter how I drive it. When I hook the boat up, it's down to 11. I checked all over when I bought it, but couldn't find anything to help the MPG. Lots of chips and programmers to help with power.
I left it stock. The power is great and I can live with the gas mirage.
Maybe there is something out now that can help. I haven't look for awhile.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I don’t think you are off by much. But like stated above. A tune up with new o2 sensors may be just what ya need. I watched a good video on how O2 sensors performance degrades over time. And how it affects mileage. could be a thing for ya.

btw. My new, early 2000’s Navigator only got 14mpg Stock.

Last edited:

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 6.2. Around town it is right at 13.5 to 14. Don't matter how I drive it. When I hook the boat up, it's down to 11. I checked all over when I bought it, but couldn't find anything to help the MPG. Lots of chips and programmers to help with power.
I left it stock. The power is great and I can live with the gas mirage.
Maybe there is something out now that can help. I haven't look for awhile.
Just about exactly where I'm at...and you are correct, the power is great! Thanks for the response 👍:)

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you are off by much. But like stated above. A tune up with new o2 sensors may be just what ya need. I watched a good video on how O2 sensors performance degrades over time. And how it affects mileage. could be a thing for ya.
Wouldn't that kick on a check engine light? No issues there and runs perfect...

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
No. Even though they are working, they do not act as quickly as a new one. And because they are slow to respond, but still responding, the mph suffers. They had them on an oscilloscope, and there was a big difference between old and new.

ps. They said, most o2 sensors seem to degrade around 100k or so. And recommended they are changed out.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just be happy you dont have an Escalade with that drive train. The wife's car averages about 8 mpg around town and if its not purely highway driving, it doesnt go up much.

Highway cruising we can usually get up around 17 though.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yeah, start with a fresh Lambda Probe.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 C/C 4x4 with a 6.2 gas motor (E-85 capable) 6 speed, stock engine, no huge tires, factory exhaust, 135k miles...... question...Any ideas what, if any, I can do to help the fuel mileage? I'm only getting about 13 mpg, even worse when I pull my boat...Programmer? Exhaust? If it is what it is, so be it....just wondering if any of you folks have experienced this and or done anything to help it? Thanks in advance
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 6.2L V8 4WD Crew Cab

Mototrig

Reaction score
Free up the intake and exhaust and install an 87 octane tune from a reputable tuner company. Then leave it the F### alone.

Example:
• Cold Air intake kit (not just a filter in the OEM airbox, do a full kit to reduce turbulence
• Flowmaster 50 series muffler or an equal muffler from your favorite brand (muffler only don't waste your money on the full cat back system)
• Superchips hand held tuner and only run the 87 octane tune. It adjusts mainly the spark timing along with a few other perameters not worth mentioning.

I had a very similar combination on my Chevy 1500 4.8 back in the day. MPG went from 17 to 20 hwy.

Every smog place said it was the cleanest running truck they'd tested.

At the time Superchips we're CA legal....not sure anymore

Your ad here

Reaction score
On my F250 7.3 I gained 3 mpg when I put the shell on the bed. I gained another 1.5 mpg when I converted it to 4wd. The shell was a temporary thing to protect goods while I helped my brother move 5 years ago... it's still on the truck and it will be a long term temporary thing.

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Free up the intake and exhaust and install an 87 octane tune from a reputable tuner company. Then leave it the F### alone.

Example:
• Cold Air intake kit (not just a filter in the OEM airbox, do a full kit to reduce turbulence
• Flowmaster 50 series muffler or an equal muffler from your favorite brand (muffler only don't waste your money on the full cat back system)
• Superchips hand held tuner and only run the 87 octane tune. It adjusts mainly the spark timing along with a few other perameters not worth mentioning.

I had a very similar combination on my Chevy 1500 4.8 back in the day. MPG went from 17 to 20 hwy.

This...👍👌🍻🍺

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've only owned ONE chebby truck. Besides the terrible ride, the lack of fuel mileage was my biggest complaint!!!

Don't buy a handheld tuner. They usually don't give good results (on gas engines anyway). Take it to a shop that has a dyno and can do a custom tune. It will be pricey, but well worth it IF you're going to keep this truck. 👍

Cat back exhaust system also (probably do this first). Borla seems to get the best reviews, but I can't stand the way that they sound!!! Flowmaster sounds the best to my ear. :cool:

Mototrig

Reaction score
I've only owned ONE chebby truck. Besides the terrible ride, the lack of fuel mileage was my biggest complaint!!!

Don't buy a handheld tuner. They usually don't give good results (on gas engines anyway). Take it to a shop that has a dyno and can do a custom tune. It will be pricey, but well worth it IF you're going to keep this truck. 👍

Cat back exhaust system also (probably do this first). Borla seems to get the best reviews, but I can't stand the way that they sound!!! Flowmaster sounds the best to my ear. :cool:
Ok you were losing my trust until you pulled the Flowmaster trigger, I knew there was SOME good in you 😁😁🍻 kidding. Every time I heard a motor that sounded badass it always had a Flowmaster on it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Example:

Not really a great idea to tune that to run 87 since its 11.5:1 compression in the 6.2. It can do it, yes. But likely not the best idea for a long period of time.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Seems as good a time as any to ask the brain trust how can I get decent mileage out of my 1985 Quadra jet fuel injected 454 crew cab Dooley?

😊

Mototrig

Reaction score
Not really a great idea to tune that to run 87 since its 11.5:1 compression in the 6.2. It can do it, yes. But likely not the best idea for a long period of time.
So........tune it to 91 then. My point is keep the mods simple on those 3 parameters and drive it. And pretty sure if it's 11.5:1 comp any handheld tuner wouldn't give you the ability to tune to 87.....unless they could electronically time the cam to lower the combustion chamber pressure which is just silly

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You are above what it was even rated for as far as mileage, why are you bitching>?

If you were getting 8 MPG I'd understand, but you bought this thing new with the sticker on it..did you think they were lying?

If you get 14 around town, you are way better on the down pedal than most of us lol!

BTW as soon as you tow...there are no real standards for that, numerically you could figure it out, but if you are getting 6-8 towing a boat, I'd say you are fine.

Refreshing your O2 sensors at 100k could possibly get you 1-2 mpg, they do go out of range, like you said, it's already got a new tune etc on it, that's all you can do.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So........tune it to 91 then. My point is keep the mods simple on those 3 parameters and drive it. And pretty sure if it's 11.5:1 comp any handheld tuner wouldn't give you the ability to tune to 87.....unless they could electronically time the cam to lower the combustion chamber pressure which is just silly
Gotcha. I thought you were inferring the 87 tune was a critical component. Completely understand now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Seems as good a time as any to ask the brain trust how can I get decent mileage out of my 1985 Quadra jet fuel injected 454 crew cab Dooley?

😊
Live on top of a big hill and con yourself a free tow up everyday. Lol!

sirbob

Reaction score
My newer Navigator averages 13.5

When towing 8-9

I’m the one thinking I got hood winked with the 20ish they stated.

77charger

Reaction score
A tune like a blackbear tunes ecu will help out as well as increase power in useful rpm range.

I have an 04 with 6.0 I gained noticeable power and also an Improvement in mpg just slight though.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
What were you getting before?
Like at 29k in the odo?

NicPaus

Reaction score

😊
I had a 89 with a 454. I put the Edelbrock Multi port injection kit on it. Went from 5-6 mpg towing to 8 mpg towing and really woke it up.

My newest truck in the fleet is a 2021 Chevy Z71 2500 with a 6.6 gas. It actually gets 15.2 round trip to the river if no traffic. Around town 9-11 mpg depending on how I drive. Borrowing a 30' travel trailer from a friend next week. See how it does.

My 2018 Z71 1500 with 5.3 was 12 mpg around town. 22mpg river trips all highway.

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
You are above what it was even rated for as far as mileage, why are you bitching>?

If you were getting 8 MPG I'd understand, but you bought this thing new with the sticker on it..did you think they were lying?

If you get 14 around town, you are way better on the down pedal than most of us lol!

BTW as soon as you tow...there are no real standards for that, numerically you could figure it out, but if you are getting 6-8 towing a boat, I'd say you are fine.

Refreshing your O2 sensors at 100k could possibly get you 1-2 mpg, they do go out of range, like you said, it's already got a new tune etc on it, that's all you can do.
I'm not bitching....I just asked a simple question is all...

DaveH

Reaction score
along with 02 sensors, MAF sensors can also have an impact especially if you use a KN (or other oiled element) filter.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
A properly tuned Quadrajet is the closest to fuel injection you can obtain ! They were great carbs
That’s why I said fuel injection after Quadra jet, it’s the poor man’s fuel injection and I’m a poor man.😊

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I'm not bitching....I just asked a simple question is all...
If it makes you feel any better I have a 2001 short bed single cab 4 x 4 with a 5.3 L (A lot less HP than you have) that gets around 14 mpg. It’s the newest and most fuel-efficient vehicle in my fleet.😂

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I have a 2001 short bed single cab 4 x 4 with a 5.3 L (A lot less HP than you have) that gets around 14 mpg. It’s the newest and most fuel-efficient vehicle in my fleet.😂
I was just simply asking a question...an opinion of sorts....