WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Road Collapse Wyoming

sonicss31

Reaction score
A mountain pass road near the popular tourist destination of Jackson, Wyoming, collapsed Saturday after a landslide, adding at least an hour of travel time for those who drive on the roadway.
The roadway at milepost 12.8 on Teton Pass "catastrophically failed," severing a large chunk of the winding road, and will remain closed as officials plan how to repair the damage, the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) said.

IMG_9327.jpeg
IMG_9326.jpeg
IMG_9325.jpeg

traquer

Reaction score
That sucks. Did they build that mound of dirt or was it natural? Looks like it was man-made, no big rocks in it or anything. Gotta build a bridge now.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Looks like they knew something was up.
The grass being scrapped away from the inside of the corner and the pile of broken asphalt look like a repair was started.
I guess they didn't realize the pavement was holding up the highway. :)
The guys working there were l.u.c.k.y.

spectras only

Reaction score
There is a reason no one should buy a house that is perching close to a bluff. For decades we didn't have many landslides on hgwy 97 between Penticton and Peachland in the Okanagan Valley that is a major route to North Okanagan. There are only two rough loggin roads to Kelowna, one from Penticton and one from Summerland.

outboard_256

Reaction score
That sucks. Did they build that mound of dirt or was it natural? Looks like it was man-made, no big rocks in it or anything. Gotta build a bridge now.

That's a good question. I would expect to see sediment layers on a chunk that big if it was natural.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Looks like the asphalt has been patched before. We were there a couple summers ago. Beautiful country. But damn expensive!

sintax

Reaction score
holy shit!

I could only imagine riding my bike and coming around that corner hot only to have no road...

kurtis500

Reaction score
Looksl ike the roadway was built up before paving

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I was on that road last August, wow!
We were just in SE Idaho, and my group of friends were on that road Wednesday night coming back from Jackson! I stayed at camp with the dogs. Apparently there was a crew there “fixing the cracks” in the road when they drove by….i guess they were unsuccessful!!!

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
We were just in SE Idaho, and my group of friends were on that road Thursday night coming back from Jackson! I stayed at camp with the dogs. Apparently there was a crew there “fixing the cracks” in the road when they drove by….i guess they were unsuccessful!!!
Were you guys at St Anthony's? Think I saw a post from Mike with your car.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Were you guys at St Anthony's? Think I saw a post from Mike with your car.
Yes, and yes. Weather was amazing, sand was excellent, and cars ran great without significant issue all week. 500 miles in the sand over 7 days! We had one thunderstorm Friday evening that brought in a wall of rain, i think it was the straw that broke the camels back on this roadway.

Mike has done a phenomenal job with his place, i plan to do a little write up in the offroad section later this week promoting him. The women took the helicopter ride on Thursday with his son and they chased us all the way to devils dune. It was a rad experience.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Yes, and yes. Weather was amazing, sand was excellent, and cars ran great without significant issue all week. 500 miles in the sand over 7 days! We had one thunderstorm Friday evening that brought in a wall of rain, i think it was the straw that broke the camels back on this roadway.

Mike has done a phenomenal job with his place, i plan to do a little write up in the offroad section later this week promoting him. The women took the helicopter ride on Thursday with his son and they chased us all the way to devils dune. It was a rad experience.
I can't wait to go back, Unfortunanly it will be early August. Mike has sent me a few pics and I have someone that has been this year all ready for a week. The heli ride is really cool.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Looks like they knew something was up.
The grass being scrapped away from the inside of the corner and the pile of broken asphalt look like a repair was started.
I guess they didn't realize the pavement was holding up the highway. :)
The guys working there were l.u.c.k.y.

Cracks in the asphalt had developed days prior and they closed the road to survey it and bring engineers in to put a game plan together. Had they not closed it days prior there likely would’ve been loss of life.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Lucky. 👍🏼👍🏼

WYRD

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking that there's not enough dirt there for what would have come out of that Hillside? What happened to all the dirt?

Snorre

Reaction score
oops, I must have drifted too fast through the curve

bonesfab

Reaction score
I guess all the tourists are getting a little fatter.