WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tony Stewart to drive Leahs car

Nordie

Reaction score
Screenshot_20231207_075109_Instagram.jpg

I think we all suspect that she's probably pregnant. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…He should have no problem… given his inate driving skills… plus his comeupance was a season in an…A Fuel injected nitro car last season.,.

Last edited:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
whoopie ding for the nhra......just another ploy to charge more at the gate. I was hoping the "big announcement" would be fuel cars going back to one mag, less blower, less nitro, full 1/4 mile and no FRIGGIN computers tuning the cars - make the crew chiefs think again

pixrthis

Reaction score
whoopie ding for the nhra......just another ploy to charge more at the gate. I was hoping the "big announcement" would be fuel cars going back to one mag, less blower, less nitro, full 1/4 mile and no FRIGGIN computers tuning the cars - make the crew chiefs think again
If you don’t think they’re working hard to get cars down the track you need to ask Cruz how easy it is. I expected to miss the last 320’ but I have to say I don’t and it has allowed the underfunded teams be more competitive because they don’t tear up as many parts. If you haven’t been in years you should give them a shot, it’s great racing.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
If you don’t think they’re working hard to get cars down the track you need to ask Cruz how easy it is. I expected to miss the last 320’ but I have to say I don’t and it has allowed the underfunded teams be more competitive because they don’t tear up as many parts. If you haven’t been in years you should give them a shot, it’s great racing.
… I survived 1000 foot race when it first started… Couldn’t do it anymore🤷🏽‍♀️

pixrthis

Reaction score
Your loss, this years NHRA Top fuel and FC racing was as good if not better than any I’ve seen since early 80’s, my dad agrees and he’s been racing and watching since the late 50’s. He goes to every drag race in Bakersfield and Pamona. Different strokes for different folks.

boatpi

Reaction score
Fyi, Phoenix is back and they won a little old-school and renamed the park Firebird motorsports park. You have to wonder if they’re gonna expand the track for more uses in the future which is good.

76sanger

Reaction score
Times have changed my friend! It's time for people to stop saying this and enjoy the pure speed that these missiles have achieved. Less NITRO? they already are at a maximum of 90%, and most teams only run 85 to 87%. And for tuning, do you really think that these tuners are sitting in the trailers and twittling their thumbs? These turners are trying to harness 11,000hp and make them stick to the track. We're talking about making changes to the clutch by literally "grams" of weight added or subtracted to make it stay on the edge of making a complete pass. It's incredible!
Seems to me the ones that don't like the sport anymore are the ones that can't turn their heads fast enough to watch a run!
The other thing is if you want everything that you're asking for, then go watch the heritage series! "I love the heritage series", but even that is not "pure" tuner.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Times have changed my friend! It's time for people to stop saying this and enjoy the pure speed that these missiles have achieved. Less NITRO? they already are at a maximum of 90%, and most teams only run 85 to 87%. And for tuning, do you really think that these tuners are sitting in the trailers and twittling their thumbs? These turners are trying to harness 11,000hp and make them stick to the track. We're talking about making changes to the clutch by literally "grams" of weight added or subtracted to make it stay on the edge of making a complete pass. It's incredible!
Seems to me the ones that don't like the sport anymore are the ones that can't turn their heads fast enough to watch a run!
The other thing is if you want everything that you're asking for, then go watch the heritage series! "I love the heritage series", but even that is not "pure" tuner.
Grumps could walk into an empty costco and say it's too crowded for his liking...lol:D

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
what are the odds of having full 16 car fields for top fuel and funny car at all of the national events next year

4Waters

Reaction score
I miss the last 320'. 1320' is drag racing not 1000'👎

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
She is far from.stupid.
And that's all I'll say about that!

Do you know why NHRA drivers are smarter than NASCAR drivers ?

Nascar drivers drive around for 3 hours looking for the finish line.

Drag racers head straight to in in under 4 seconds
That and their attention span for the weekend is less than 30 seconds.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I miss the last 320'. 1320' is drag racing not 1000'👎
I went to an 1/8 mile bracket race in St Louis this summer which I expected to be boring but it was great racing. Five days of racing, a new race every day, $1,000,000 combined purse for all 5 days, and $250,000to win the big night. 874 cars showed up, and you had to be great to win is an understatement. It was very exciting.
I went to Farmosa the following week and Pamona a couple weeks later, none of them were boring.

4Waters

Reaction score
I went to an 1/8 mile bracket race in St Louis this summer which I expected to be boring but it was great racing. Five days of racing, a new race every day, $1,000,000 combined purse for all 5 days, and $250,000to win the big night. 874 cars showed up, and you had to be great to win is an understatement. It was very exciting.
I went to Farmosa the following week and Pamona a couple weeks later, none of them were boring.
I went ta a PSCA 1/8 mile event, yawn. I'm a purest, 1320

Nordie

Reaction score

I've always enjoyed bracket racing, I grew up being my dad's pit guy. He's won a couple Wallys, and some division 7 championships.

One year there was a ton of people that showed up in Vegas, and they requested to do 1/8th brackets to speed things up. He won that weekend too. I miss being at the track, but life gets in the way sometimes.

I have a picture of me as a little kid hanging on the fence watching pops do a burnout at the old las vegas drag strip

86Howard

Reaction score
Wow,!!! Tony Stewart...
I was involved with USAC.
After watching Wards death, no respect.
Money can do wonders.
He wants to start a family?
When somebody else's family's son was killed, rapped up in the right rear nerf bar of a Sprint Car, and about every bone in his body broken, and killed, while his family watched.
Live with that every day TS.
Wow!!! Tony Stewart....

Nordie

Reaction score
Wow,!!! Tony Stewart...
Money can do wonders.
When somebody else's family's son was killed, rapped up in the right rear nerf bar of a Sprint Car, and about every bone in his body broken, and killed, while his family watched.
Wow!!! Tony Stewart....

Or don't get out of your car and try to act like you're in Nascar...dude got out of his race car, if he stays in his car he'd still be alive.

86Howard

Reaction score
Or don't get out of your car and act like Tony Stewart and throw your helmet etc, I've been there from super modified, sprints, midgets, champ cars and nascar.
TS didn't like getting a taste of his own.
All he had to do is shut it off and pull down to the infield.
Ward would be alive today.
No clue bro, say what you want.

playdeep

Reaction score
Wow,!!! Tony Stewart...
Money can do wonders.
Wow!!! Tony Stewart....
Stupid phucker got out of his car and ran across a dimly lit track.
#1 rule under caution...NEVER get out of your car.
Kid was a pothead.

Play stupid games.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Kid was a pothead.

Play stupid games.

This.

Or don't get out of your car and act like Tony Stewart and throw your helmet etc, I've been there from super modified, sprints, midgets, champ cars and nascar.

Exactly. Stay in the car and stay alive instead of trying to give someone “their own” on a hot race track.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you don’t like 1000’ racing, then you probably never liked 1320’ racing either. You know who likes 1000’ racing? The drivers.

Nordie

Reaction score

It still blows my mind that people think Tony intentionally killed a kid that walked down a track towards a winged sprint car on staggered tires with an in n out box. The only way you can steer a car like that is with throttle.

Just like you I've been around racing my entire life. The math is simple, stay in your car.

Either way, Tony jumping into NHRA TF is great for the sport.

86Howard

Reaction score
It still blows my mind that people think Tony intentionally killed a kid that walked down a track towards a winged sprint car on staggered tires with an in n out box. The only way you can steer a car like that is with throttle.

Just like you I've been around racing my entire life. The math is simple, stay in your car.

Either way, Tony jumping into NHRA TF is great for the sport.
I don't think it was intentional, it was an accident that caused Wards death.
Tony didn't have to hit the throttle to mess with Ward, all he had to do was go to the infield IMO, and defuse the situation.
There is a reason why some people have had to go to anger management classes.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I don't think it was intentional, it was an accident that caused Wards death.
Tony didn't have to hit the throttle to mess with Ward, all he had to do was go to the infield IMO, and defuse the situation.
There is a reason why some people have had to go to anger management classes.
As stated above, with the tire offset stabbing the throttle turns the car left. He was trying to avoid him at the last second when he saw him after the car in front got past. Why would he go to the infield he was following all the other cars on a caution lap.

oldschool

Reaction score
Uhh, I liked 1320 and am not a fan of 1000. You know who else liked 1320?
View attachment 1310725
I’m sure Wally never thought fuel cars would be going 330+. They wouldn’t be able to run fuel cars at half the current tracks if it was still 1320’. The real travesty is that they keep that stutter box Pedregon in the booth. And having guys like Tony Stewart in the sport is big.

svlperry

Reaction score
Wow,!!! Tony Stewart...
Money can do wonders.
Wow!!! Tony Stewart....
And smoking marijuana

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I’m sure Wally never thought fuel cars would be going 330+. They wouldn’t be able to run fuel cars at half the current tracks if it was still 1320’.
I am a "purist" when it comes to door slammers. I have never owned or driven anything near a fuel car. I can understand the relative need to "slow" them down. At the inception of NHRA, the "big guns" were supercharged Olds or Caddy motors...early 1950s. By 59, 140mph was still about tops. The pioneers were WWII vets! The ideas of 10,000hp, and 330mph, were impossibilities.

I'll let the fuel cars short change me. The "hit" at the lights and the roar is still able to send a shiver up my spine.

I wouldn't mind a "sportsman" fuel class...maybe 50% nitro, single mag and no computer? Like an entry level fuel class to get more guys in the game. It would be cool to see gooseneck haulers and duallies in the fuel pits again, and not just pro teams.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I liked full 1/4 mile digs too. Still do. But given the choice of losing tracks, losing teams, and perhaps losing drivers, I will enjoy 1000 ft runs pro class blown nitro cars while we still can. I think those of us who lived through what we feel like was the golden age of all cool things need to continue to revere the memories we have of those times/places/events, but we need to do everything we can to support what we have left, because we sure as heck ain't going back in time, folks.
Lions isn't coming back anytime soon, neither is OCIR, LACR, Riverside, OMS, etc....

Regarding Tony stepping in for Leah, my gut tells me it may put more asses in seats, and put more people watching the TV coverage. It won't be forever, but those who actually go see him run the car will have that forever...and the Tee Shirts...and he won't drive it forever, you can be dang sure of that.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I will never forget… It may have been 1957 or 1958, but watching the first dragster go 150 miles an hour at San Fernando… it was a big deal to all who were there… the guy who did its name was Pancho Gonzalez… I always wondered if it was the famous tennis player… still don’t know???… it was a really pretty light bluish front motored dragster… I don’t even remember if was a fueler or gasoline powered… that was 66 years ago…yikes😳

rrrr

Reaction score
Kid was a pothead.

Play stupid games.
We could replay the facts about running a huge right rear, the field at 55 MPH under yellow, throttle steering, wing panels, the poor track lighting, etc., but all that is dismissed by those that don't know what they're talking about and/or hate Stewart.

But as you point out, exiting a sprint car and standing on a hot race track is one of the stupidest things that can be done.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I am a "purist" when it comes to door slammers. I have never owned or driven anything near a fuel car. I can understand the relative need to "slow" them down. At the inception of NHRA, the "big guns" were supercharged Olds or Caddy motors...early 1950s. By 59, 140mph was still about tops. The pioneers were WWII vets! The ideas of 10,000hp, and 330mph, were impossibilities.

I'll let the fuel cars short change me. The "hit" at the lights and the roar is still able to send a shiver up my spine.

I wouldn't mind a "sportsman" fuel class...maybe 50% nitro, single mag and no computer? Like an entry level fuel class to get more guys in the game. It would be cool to see gooseneck haulers and duallies in the fuel pits again, and not just pro teams.
You’d love the nostalgia drags. I saw a small block front engine dragster and a bunch of big block Chevy fuel cars and they put on a wild show.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So all those times Tony got of his car and gave a piece of his mind to the people who crashed him he never got ran over. But if he did would you be pissed off at the person who ran him over?

Also if you going to get behind the wheel while being high bad things can happen especially when you start running around an active race track.

Kid was a dumb shit.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Top Sportsman and Top Dragster. Independent teams bracket racing at over 200mph full 1/4 mile. Stands are empty.
CIFCA funny cars. Index racing at 200mph. 1/4 mile. No computers and most don't have data loggers. Stands are empty

I can go on, but you get my point. About the only event where you can see "old school grass roots" racing is Famoso for the Hot Rod Reunion and March Meet. However there are plenty of other times these cars run, but the fans don't come out. Top Sportsman and dragster run at national events, but everyone will be in the pits gawking at the "pros" instead of watching some of the tightest racing you will ever see.

Want to see more independent guys run? Go to a local track and spend the $10-20 to go watch. Take a friend or date. Buy a beer or burger and support them cause the tracks are closing and soon you won't be able to complain about 660', 1000 or 1320',,,, Or put your daily in the beams and run sportsman. Hell, my son placed 6th in points in his slammed Honda CR-V last season. Ya'll gonna let a 18yr old kid in a Honda beat your old ass in a Hellcat? 🤣

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I highly recommend that everyone go to Famoso…30 miles north of Bakersfield,…for the California Hot Rod Reunion in October or the March meet obviously in March… It’s as close to old school as you can get… I went every year from whenever to when I just simply couldn’t do it anymore…🤷🏽‍♀️

dread Pirate

Reaction score
… I highly recommend that everyone go to Famoso…30 miles north of Bakersfield,…for the California Hot Rod Reunion in October or the March meet obviously in March… It’s as close to old school as you can get… I went every year from whenever to when I just simply couldn’t do it anymore…🤷🏽‍♀️

Yep! Swing by the pit and give my son crap. He's the kid on the right,,,, ;)

IMG_5976.jpg