WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F**K RTIC Coolers!

brgrcru

Reaction score
Ever think that maybe you or a buddy opened it and overextended it and didn’t realize it ?

Kinda obvious it didn’t break by itself

These coolers are not any better than a cheap one if you going to be in and out of it all day.
These high end coolers shine on long camping trips or hunting trips when ice isn’t readily available or you need long term storage without constant access to contents.

If anyone buys these for a day on the lake you are a ding dong IMO.

Besides they are heavy ass f*ck

so they pretty much suck. for the price.
I have been called a lots of things
never been called a ding dong before lol :D
but at times that name fits.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
so they pretty much suck. for the price.
I have been called a lots of things
never been called a ding dong before lol :D
but at times that name fits.
They work great when used for intended purpose.
When I bring elk back from Colorado. I have a small fortune in that meat. It ensures it stays cold for the 11hr drive.

When we go camping my beers are cold all week without chasing ice.

rivergames

Reaction score
Aimee sounds like a level 1 customer service agent. Her response sounds like a typical deflection. I'd imagine that if you follow up and assure her that no such over-extension happened, and escalate to her manager you will get some results.
I have a call into the manager that was not available... left my contact and waiting to hear back

Motor Boater

Reaction score
They should have a limiting strap on it then. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!!!! If it’s a known problem/design flaw it should have a limiting strap. The design allows for the lid to be over extended. For the money you shouldn’t have to be gentle when opening. For the money those hinges should be made out of something other than plastic.

GrizzlyBryan

Reaction score
Can you say for sure that it wasn't like that out of the box? It wouldn't have gotten worse, you should have been able to tell right away when you first opened the lid.

By looking at this picture that lid had to be pushed well past 90 degrees to cause the deflection between lobes of the lid, bend the hinge pins and tear the plastic. You would have known if you caused the damage, no way to do that during normal use. I've seen a lot of rotomolded coolers, and tested many to failure.

60148832_456320801805256_4077220026120142848_n-jpg.753745

rivergames

Reaction score
Can you say for sure that it wasn't like that out of the box? It wouldn't have gotten worse, you should have been able to tell right away when you first opened the lid.

By looking at this picture that lid had to be pushed well past 90 degrees to cause the deflection between lobes of the lid, bend the hinge pins and tear the plastic. You would have known if you caused the damage, no way to do that during normal use. I've seen a lot of rotomolded coolers, and tested many to failure.

60148832_456320801805256_4077220026120142848_n-jpg.753745
Problem is, we do not know if that is how it came out of the box. I cleaned everything out of the cooler and was getting ready to put the cover on it when I finally noticed the cracks. It still functions fine, but it appears to be hanging on by a thread.

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
Sure someone didn't fuck that lid up when u wernt looking... then just closed it and quietly walked away.. only to open it 20 min later and say... "Dude... what happened here????" LMAO.

Boatracer36

Reaction score
Is the cooler air tight? Could this be caused by pressure building inside forcing the hings to break like that?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
This might be a perfect opportunity for RDP to initiate a "RDP ON YOUR SIDE" consumer rights section...

RDP has "all those Politicians and judges that he carries in his pockets like nickels and dimes"

An offer they can't refuse!

rivergames

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, Stay Tuned. Things are getting interesting!

Pam (RTIC Coolers)

May 15, 4:03 PM CDT

Hello Andrew,

I can send the information to our quality control and have them look at the pictures if you like. From my experience with the company and the coolers the only time we see the creaking in the back of the cooler like that is when the lid is overextended when oping . But I can see what they say. I will get back with you.

Thank You
Pam

rivergames

Reaction score
My Resonse:

Afternoon Pam,

Thank you for reaching back to me. That is much appreciated.

Like I said in my original post, I have been a long time boater and adventurer.

I have had many coolers over my lifetime. I have had my RTIC soft cooler for years with 0 issues! I have a Yeti 110 with 0 issues. My family has had Igloo’s and AO Coolers with 0 issues.

I’m not sure if this cooler was already broken when I pulled it out of the box. All I know is that this past Saturday was it’s 1st Day of use and when I went to clean drain the cooler, I noticed it was broken. I fully understand that the lid can be aggressively opened to hurt the cooler, but I promise on everything that this did NOT happen with this cooler since it came out of the box. We barely opened it all day.

Hopefully this can be switched out for another new 110 without this issue. I want to continue using RTIC.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Thanks,

Andrew Games

rivergames

Reaction score
So Here's where we are at.

Either RTIC makes it right and swaps out the coolers. If they go down this route and their new cooler holds up, I will retract my F**K RTIC Statement and give them props on a Solid Customer Service!

Or...

They Tell me to F off and do NOT fix their cooler. At that rate, I WILL DO MY BEST TO DESTROY RTIC COOLERS!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So Here's where we are at.

Either RTIC makes it right and swaps out the coolers. If they go down this route and their new cooler holds up, I will retract my F**K RTIC Statement and give them props on a Solid Customer Service!

Or...

They Tell me to F off and do NOT fix their cooler. At that rate, I WILL DO MY BEST TO DESTROY RTIC COOLERS!
Dude, it's a fricken cooler.
Go get something "better" and be done with it.
No reason to pop a vessel :confused:

rivergames

Reaction score
Dude, it's a fricken cooler.
Go get something "better" and be done with it.
No reason to pop a vessel :confused:
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] [emoji378][emoji95]

It's their response that made me want to play the game!

Mike K

Reaction score
it took less than 1 minute to go on their corporate customer service email to blast them about how they treated you and their defective “I’ll never buy ur product ever” etc etc . I love when the little guy can get even.

rivergames

Reaction score
FUCK RTIC COOLERS!!!!!!!!

Pam (RTIC Coolers)

May 17, 4:10 PM CDT

Hello Andrew,

I did have our quality control take view the pictures . They did pull some coolers and tried many different way to see how this would happen to a cooler. Unfortunately the results were overextending the lid. Unfortunately this is something that is not covered under our warranty . I am sorry.

Thank You
Pam

rivergames

Reaction score
This is complete Bullshit! How can a company sell a cooler that breaks it's 1st day out, with barely being used. I'd take full responsibility if the top was slammed open, but it wasn't!

RCDave

Reaction score
Though some mackerel in the cooler and let it rot for a week or two outside in the heat. Them ship it back to them....lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Took my RTIC cooler out this weekend. Filled with ice Friday morning sat in the sun most of the weekend still has ice in it this morning.
Kids did there best to beat the crap out of it all weekend. Still in one piece.

What a piece of shit.

rivergames

Reaction score
Took my RTIC cooler out this weekend. Filled with ice Friday morning sat in the sun most of the weekend still has ice in it this morning.
Kids did there best to beat the crap out of it all weekend. Still in one piece.

What a piece of shit.

That's how they should be!

I'm betting we were sold a cooler that was already broken and we did not notice the crack until I was cleaning the cooler.

RTIC won't make it right and replace the cooler.

I just want to relay my message of FUCK RTIC to all!

hallett21

Reaction score
No chance you bought it with an AMEX?

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

I'm betting we were sold a cooler that was already broken and we did not notice the crack until I was cleaning the cooler.

Have you sent them a copy of the thread yet? I cant imagine they would risk the loss of potential sales rather than just fixing your cooler.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

I think that’s what happened as well.

That’s why I was saying you should have worded your complaint differently.

Hey RTIC how come I open my new cooler and the first thing I see is a broken hinge?

How does that happen?

They counter with you must of broke it..

Um well you see It’s been out of the box about as long as it took to write this email so I’m thinking you shipped a broken cooler by accident.

rivergames

Reaction score
I think that’s what happened as well.

That’s why I was saying you should have worded your complaint differently.

Hey RTIC how come I open my new cooler and the first thing I see is a broken hinge?

How does that happen?

They counter with you must of broke it..

Um well you see It’s been out of the box about as long as it took to write this email so I’m thinking you shipped a broken cooler by accident.

I probably should have. Only issue is that it was 1.5 months after the cooler was purchased. I figure I'd be as strait up as possible with them

Have you sent them a copy of the thread yet? I cant imagine they would risk the loss of potential sales rather than just fixing your cooler.

Not yet. I'm going to go one more higher up and then drop my secret weapon!

No chance you bought it with an AMEX?

Nope

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Blow their shit up on twitter, you'd be surprised how well that works.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
FUCK RTIC COOLERS!!!!!!!!

Pam (RTIC Coolers)

May 17, 4:10 PM CDT

Hello Andrew,

I did have our quality control take view the pictures . They did pull some coolers and tried many different way to see how this would happen to a cooler. Unfortunately the results were overextending the lid. Unfortunately this is something that is not covered under our warranty . I am sorry.

Thank You
Pam
Ask them to do another recreation, except this time do it with a defective cooler like the one you bought.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
RG is on a mission. :D
I look forward to more posts with CAPS on:p:D:D

lbhsbz

Reaction score
This should be your next reply:

“Over built, not Over Priced”

“A cooler you swear by, not at”

These are the 2 manners in which you describe your products. My experience with RTIC has been somewhat different than the 2 above descriptions. During its first use, the cooler lid broke around the hinge area. This does not seem very “over built” to me.

Your claim is that I “opened it too hard”, and that they shouldn’t be opened that far. Does this sound like operating instructions one would expect to see when they purchase a product that claims to be “over built”? I don’t think so, which is why I’m now swearing at it.

You see, I’ve been outdoors for many years and used many coolers. Usually something inexpensive like an Igloo or similar…and I’ve never managed to break one of those by opening it too hard. Sure, they eventually wear out after years, but that’s to be expected of a flexible hinge on a $20 cooler…not a $350+ cooler. I didn’t abuse the cooler, I simply opened it and closed it a few times, much like I’ve done thousands of times before with other coolers that I didn’t break. The cooler I have definitely does not fit the description of “overbuilt”, which is why I believe this cooler was defective, and why I’m seeking a replacement.

Is it the statement of RTIC that your coolers, which are described to be “overbuilt”, must be handled much more gently than a cheap Walmart cooler or else it will break, which will result in a leak, which will make the ice melt just as fast or faster than a cheap Walmart cooler?

If this is the case…what reason would anyone have to ever choose an RTIC cooler? I certainly regret my decision to do so, and will be sharing this experience with the boating and fishing communities that I’m involved with so they can avoid wasting money on inferior product from your company.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
It does look like the hinge was stiff and the plastic started getting fatigue and cracked. Like was said why is there not a strap so that one does not open to far and break the hinge.

Nordie

Reaction score
What are they going to do with those test over extended lid coolers, from QC?

Wonder if they're going to box them up and send em out, and tell the next guy to fuck off as well...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rivergames

Reaction score
This should be your next reply:

“Over built, not Over Priced”

“A cooler you swear by, not at”

These are the 2 manners in which you describe your products. My experience with RTIC has been somewhat different than the 2 above descriptions. During its first use, the cooler lid broke around the hinge area. This does not seem very “over built” to me.

Your claim is that I “opened it too hard”, and that they shouldn’t be opened that far. Does this sound like operating instructions one would expect to see when they purchase a product that claims to be “over built”? I don’t think so, which is why I’m now swearing at it.

You see, I’ve been outdoors for many years and used many coolers. Usually something inexpensive like an Igloo or similar…and I’ve never managed to break one of those by opening it too hard. Sure, they eventually wear out after years, but that’s to be expected of a flexible hinge on a $20 cooler…not a $350+ cooler. I didn’t abuse the cooler, I simply opened it and closed it a few times, much like I’ve done thousands of times before with other coolers that I didn’t break. The cooler I have definitely does not fit the description of “overbuilt”, which is why I believe this cooler was defective, and why I’m seeking a replacement.

Is it the statement of RTIC that your coolers, which are described to be “overbuilt”, must be handled much more gently than a cheap Walmart cooler or else it will break, which will result in a leak, which will make the ice melt just as fast or faster than a cheap Walmart cooler?

If this is the case…what reason would anyone have to ever choose an RTIC cooler? I certainly regret my decision to do so, and will be sharing this experience with the boating and fishing communities that I’m involved with so they can avoid wasting money on inferior product from your company.

That is a very well written response. At this point, I am going above ole' Pam and talking to a main manager at RTIC. I will use some of the items you described. If they still deny, I will shoot them the link to this thread and tell them that this is just the beginning. All will be good if they just swap out their defected cooler for another that can hold together with lifting the damn lid!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That is a very well written response. At this point, I am going above ole' Pam and talking to a main manager at RTIC. I will use some of the items you described. If they still deny, I will shoot them the link to this thread and tell them that this is just the beginning. All will be good if they just swap out their defected cooler for another that can hold together with lifting the damn lid!
You do realize if they do send you a new one it's gonna be just like your defective one, right?:)

alohajeff

Reaction score
I am a ONE and DONE customer of the RTIC brand. Reading this post just confirms that the terrible service I received is standard with RTIC.

My RTIC customer service was awful. I've got an RTIC soft cooler that had zipper problems since day 1. I was told to USE MORE LUBE! So I used a LOT MORE LUBE and it didn't fix the problem. There's not enough RTIC zipper lube on the planet to keep it working on a hot day. After going round and round with RTIC customer service I was finally told the best fix would be to go find somebody to sew on a new zipper. WTF? RTIC stated they would NOT repair or replace their defective garbage under warranty because (in their words) I had damaged it through use. So I went online and found plenty of other people that had problems with the zippers on their RTIC soft coolers. Apparently when an RTIC product fails the warranty is void because the failure always seems to be caused by use. Don't want your RTIC cooler to fail? Simple... DON'T USE IT.

(f)RTIC

Aloha

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I am a ONE and DONE customer of the RTIC brand. Reading this post just confirms that the terrible service I received is standard with RTIC.

My RTIC customer service was awful. I've got an RTIC soft cooler that had zipper problems since day 1. I was told to USE MORE LUBE! So I used a LOT MORE LUBE and it didn't fix the problem. There's not enough RTIC zipper lube on the planet to keep it working on a hot day. After going round and round with RTIC customer service I was finally told the best fix would be to go find somebody to sew on a new zipper. WTF? RTIC stated they would NOT repair or replace their defective garbage under warranty because (in their words) I had damaged it through use. So I went online and found plenty of other people that had problems with the zippers on their RTIC soft coolers. Apparently when an RTIC product fails the warranty is void because the failure always seems to be caused by use. Don't want your RTIC cooler to fail? Simple... DON'T USE IT.

(f)RTIC

Aloha

My shitty 8 year old igloo works fine. Almost as good as my 15 year old igloo that I replaced the hinges on with pieces of an old tow strap and added some peel and stick weather strip to help it seal. I think I found it on the side of rice road...with a broken hinge from falling out of the truck on the highway. RTIC cooler probably would have exploded under those conditions.

4Waters

Reaction score

(f)RTIC

Aloha

I was going to start researching coolers but after this thread I will just pass on RTIC, research done.

GrizzlyBryan

Reaction score
Get the Made in USA, Lifetime Warranty Grizzly 100 for the same price with the River Dave's discount code RD10.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
image.png
My Buddy just told me about Canyon Coolers the owner is a buddy of his. They are a Flagstaff company and looks like a lifetime unconditional warranty. I think I will be trying them next. I always liked RTIC but after the way they handled Rivergames situation and seeing there tariff charge which means there not made in the USA I'm out!

https://canyoncoolers.com/collections/hard-coolers

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I'm done with RTIC. I argued for years with those who bought Yetis for no reason. Most of them came back telling me they can survive a bear attack so they are worth the money.

I guess they truly are superior. The RTIC can't even survive fishing.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
My Yeti 105 was made in America. Their Tundra line is American made.

My problem with Yeti is they dropped there endorsement for the NRA so they are dead to me also. I know I’m an opinionated old fuck and a proud American so I try to by all American when I can and also from companies that have my same interest in mind when possible. Yah it makes shopping a bitch! Lol!