WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I might burn down my house...insurance question.

3.Slow

Reaction score
And finding new insurance with 2 water claims within 16 months will cost you.
Reason I have StateFarm - 3 water claims in 18 months when we purchased current house and pay less today in homeowners then when I purchased the house. One of my policies dates back to 1985, so I have guaranteed renewal with SF on all policies, no matter the claim history.
I second State Farm, out house flooded due to a broken toilet line back in 2012, pretty sure it cost them close to 100k and my rates didnt change at all, they also went after the builder and what little they did recoup, they refunded my deductible first thing. My agent on the other hand, sucks ass. One of those family friend deals, didnt come out once over the 18 month process. Also had a claim on my 5th wheel and that didnt change my rate either.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Contractor is here now definitely a nail from the crown molding install. Now to see how many walls need to come down.

DC-88

Reaction score
Good call, wasn't grads asking about a reroof of too long ago?

That’s true, pics he posted of his tile roof look like like one of the palapas we did at our river house [emoji23]
IMG_2106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Many years ago,unfriendly home owners and homes were identified at the curb or entrance to the property,some sort of symbol,forget what it was.For sure Grads your property should be identified to Contractors & others
“STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THIS PROPERTY”. Insurance will handle this situation,hopefully this highly talented finish carpenter has a signed contract with fine print protecting him from you and your ilk.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
And the crown molding guy stepped up without being asked and is paying for everything. Pretty stand up dude if you ask me.
Is he paying it or handimg it over too his insurance? The reason i ask is whe. Properly installed there is zero chance of a 2" brad hitting a water line. His insuramce may deny you saying improperly installed.

About 7 years ago i ran a screw into a water line. I hit the cut for the spikes on a nail plate. That was not thr reason for them tellung me to pound sand, it was that the pipe was only 1/4" away from side of the stud. They claimed improper plumbing when the house was built ( mid 2ks) lucky the damage was only a few hundred bucks in materials as i handled the labor.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yeah unless he was using 2 1/2 nails it should of been plated. See what his insurance says.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Yeah unless he was using 2 1/2 nails it should of been plated. See what his insurance says.
Then that begs the question why uae 2.5" nails when you could use as short as 1.5"? From the other thread it appeared to be small and mdf. With that stuff a brad is more than enough. I meam maybe if you have turned your pressure way up it might happen with a 2".

GRADS

Reaction score
Is he paying it or handimg it over too his insurance? The reason i ask is whe. Properly installed there is zero chance of a 2" brad hitting a water line. His insuramce may deny you saying improperly installed.

About 7 years ago i ran a screw into a water line. I hit the cut for the spikes on a nail plate. That was not thr reason for them tellung me to pound sand, it was that the pipe was only 1/4" away from side of the stud. They claimed improper plumbing when the house was built ( mid 2ks) lucky the damage was only a few hundred bucks in materials as i handled the labor.
My house is 45 years old.

hallett21

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how a finish nail could penetrate through the crown, I assume 5/8ths drywall, framing and then a pipe. Even if the pipe was a 1/2” from the face of framing that seems like a 1 in 1,000,000 shot.

braindead

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how a finish nail could penetrate through the crown, I assume 5/8ths drywall, framing and then a pipe. Even if the pipe was a 1/2” from the face of framing that seems like a 1 in 1,000,000 shot.

More like 1 in a thousand

Happens a lot more than u think. We caught one where (dumbass#2) the tile guy screwed his cement board dead nuts into the pipe., the shower was stripped down to the studs so he could see the pipes location before installing the cement board, didn't help that dumbass #1 (the plumber) ran the water line vertically in a notched out stud about 6" without a nail plate on top.

And I'll admit I almost nailed a piece of trim into a pipe about 10 mins after I watched the plumber solder it all up. If he didn't say something I would of hit a hole in one

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score
Mo

Happens a lot more than u think. We caught one where (dumbass#2) the tile guy screwed his cement board dead nuts into the pipe., the shower was stripped down to the studs so he could see the pipes location before installing the cement board, didn't help that dumbass #1 (the plumber) ran the water line vertically in a notched out stud about 6" without a nail plate on top.

And I'll admit I almost nailed a piece of trim into a pipe about 10 mins after I watched the plumber solder it all up. If he didn't say something I would of hit a hole in one

Did that back in about 2000, and never leaked untill we were ripping it out to install an ada shower for the mil. I took took the shower enclosure out and started to remove the greenboard under it and took a screw out and got sprayed. Funny thing it never leaked a bit in almost 15 years!:eek::cool:

hallett21

Reaction score

I’m just the dummy running wires [emoji41]. And occasionally subbing out the trades. All with COI [emoji1303]

NicPaus

Reaction score
Then that begs the question why uae 2.5" nails when you could use as short as 1.5"? From the other thread it appeared to be small and mdf. With that stuff a brad is more than enough. I meam maybe if you have turned your pressure way up it might happen with a 2".
Was thinking maybe that's why he stepped up to repair so easily. Knew he fucked up. Now if there is a 1 1/2" clearance or less he would be claiming no nail plate. Just a assumption. He might be handling and not even to blame as no nail plate.

4Waters

Reaction score
Was thinking maybe that's why he stepped up to repair so easily. Knew he fucked up. Now if there is a 1 1/2" clearance or less he would be claiming no nail plate. Just a assumption. He might be handling and not even to blame as no nail plate.
Nail plates haven't always been code, my house is 47 years old and no nail plates, my parents current house is 30 years old and no nail plates either, however when we did an addition on my parents last house in 1995 we had to put nail plates on. Sometime between '89 and '95 nail plates became code here in Simi.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
This thread.Just opinion.Punctured pipe not discovered,but the contractor ready to cut a check.Who’s the contractor “ Newsom Woodwworks” ?

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
What with all your antics and not reading through all the previous posts I can see it being hard getting a serious response.

That said I’d be surprised if you aren’t covered but rates might go up.

84miller

Reaction score
Good call, wasn't grads asking about a reroof of too long ago?
What I did not state...the bedroom was on the first floor...no leaks or water issues second floor, just flooding downstairs bedroom floor. YOU never really know with water leaks even with experts. FYI I have another story even much much worse, but to much typing, but a water leak that completely ruined my new flooring, fault was the flooring installer, took 6 months to discover.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
No, but it might have had the crown molding guy nailed into wood...err...what the builder’s plumber left of the wood.

I’m happy with my shitty outdated 80 year old house built with the plumbing underneath it...where it belongs, and the only holes in structural lumber being 1/2” to feed a piece of Romex through....WITH nail plates.

After having done this a few times, aside from doorframe molding, every other type of molding in old houses should just be glued on I think. The objective is to hit wood with your nails, but there usually isn’t any...and as we see here...sometimes there’s a pipe.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I don't know much, but it looks like a nail plate wouldn't have helped anything there.
no but using thr correct size nail would have not even been close to hiiting that

I sure hope the plumber replaces that sticl with a proper clamp.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Everyone is so fucking sue happy.. and you wonder why legit contractors are hard to find! Ready to sue before you even give them the chance to correct there mistake. How was he to know there was a pipe right there. The only shit I can give is he missed the stud! Even if he used shorter nails the shit would have come loose in a small wind and again look at being sued.. FFS.. most legit contractors will own up to there mistakes and resolve the issue if given a chance! On a single level home I wouldnt expect supply lines to be coming from the attic..

Seas

Reaction score
Well,that’s proof enough.Consider in future turning water off when traveling.Inside house at least.

Excellent suggestion.

Fairly simple and inexpensive job for your plumber to add shutoff valves that separately isolate your inside plumbing from your landscape sprinklers so when you leave on vacation you can shot off the water going into your house but leave the sprinklers on. Just make sure you also turn off your refrigerator or bar ice makers. Also a good idea to open an inside faucet for a few seconds to relieve the pressure inside the pipes. Won't help if a pipe leaks when you are out for the day but excellent insurance when gone overnight or longer.

DC-88

Reaction score
Being serious, that crown profile is the most common there is. If it is 3-1/4 or 4-1/4 (which I'd guess this is) you typically shoot it with 2" nails up at an angle into the cove at the bottom edge angled into the top plates. Upper nails are often shiners shot at an extreme angle so as to hook the drywall until the caulking dries but not penetrate far enough to hit anything, or into trusses / joists when running across the walls they land on . These guys shot it level at the bottom cove , as you can see from the other shiner showing from the crown in the adjacent room. This basically relies on the power of caulking to keep it held firmly in place as a whole, and adds risk for hitting vents and anything else in the stud bays due to the fact nail plates are at the plate line. Once the size of the crown increases above 4-1/4 or is a built up detail with multiple courses a stud finder and a nailing pattern into studs and trusses/joists is needed because it isn't possible to hit the top plates. It does look like that pipe is close enough to the edge of the top plates that unless it was nail plated a 2" nail shot at the correct angle may have hit it anyway. How much was the labor to install this up in the Bay area? We typically get around 3 dollars a lineal foot for labor for the smaller stuff---

GRADS

Reaction score
Being serious, that crown profile is the most common there is. If it is 3-1/4 or 4-1/4 (which I'd guess this is) you typically shoot it with 2" nails up at an angle into the cove at the bottom edge angled into the top plates. Upper nails are often shiners shot at an extreme angle so as to hook the drywall until the caulking dries but not penetrate far enough to hit anything, or into trusses / joists when running across the walls they land on . These guys shot it level at the bottom cove , as you can see from the other shiner showing from the crown in the adjacent room. This basically relies on the power of caulking to keep it held firmly in place as a whole, and adds risk for hitting vents and anything else in the stud bays due to the fact nail plates are at the plate line. Once the size of the crown increases above 4-1/4 or is a built up detail with multiple courses a stud finder and a nailing pattern into studs and trusses/joists is needed because it isn't possible to hit the top plates. It does look like that pipe is close enough to the edge of the top plates that unless it was nail plated a 2" nail shot at the correct angle may have hit it anyway. How much was the labor to install this up in the Bay area? We typically get around 3 dollars a lineal foot for labor for the smaller stuff---
Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense. The crown is 4 1/4. It was 464 linear feet for $2800

C-2

Reaction score
If the molding contractor does not reimburse you, then you can file against his bond for up to $15K. Hopefully he remains cool.

BTW
The molding contractor is responsible, not the plumber. The molding contractor accepted the job, including the condition of the walls and anything behind them. :)

GRADS

Reaction score
If the molding contractor does not reimburse you, then you can file against his bond for up to $15K. Hopefully he remains cool.
The dude has been amazing. He has lined everything up and has basically told me cost is no issue, just wants to make everything right. While this sucks for us I feel really bad for him as a fellow contractor.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Willie if and when we meet I owe you a drink or 10. For some reason I didn't think of this but when you said it, I was like duh! Thanks again man, I owe you one.
...Grads you don’t owe me Jack...although... thank you very much...now let me tell you why...the truth of the matter is the statement was initially meant to be just a smart ass comment by myself...fortunately it turned out to be an eye-opener???...
... Could’ve just said glad its working out...glad it caused a brain synapse etc...but I have found over the years that it’s much easier to come out with a truism than continue with a fabrication...because it’s much easier to remember the truth later on when you have to repeat the story...(unless of course one is a master bullshitter...lol)...:rolleyes:

Reaction score
This is just completely wrong to me. You hired a guy to install crown molding. Did you expect him to glue it up? It is shitty installation of your plumbing if a finish nail is able to reach a water line. Don’t fuck this guy over for doing a job you hired him to do.

I would think an experienced Carpenter would have an idea where to look for plumbing that is running down the walls.

Today, it's easy to drill a small hole in the wall, and hook up a camera (with a light) to your IPhone and check for wiring and plumbing.
see below:
https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Bor...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207583741829&psc=1

6f7176fc-565b-4982-a2a5-3d3058e94f85.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.png

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Damn, that was a bullseye. Shitty deal. Was this in a single or two story home? If in a single story home, where was that pipe going to? I am no contractor but it just seems odd that in a single story home you would have a pipe that high in a wall.
I’m pretty sure most houses built on slabs using copper run through the attic.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Congress passed legislation for the wall and was funded, too.
Reagan (86), Clinton (96) and Bush Jr (06) Donald has done more, with less.

Riddle? Know your history.

Dan'l
Thank you. Much more helpful then just throwing numbers in a post. ;) :)

GRADS

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure most houses built on slabs using copper run through the attic.
Damn, that was a bullseye. Shitty deal. Was this in a single or two story home? If in a single story home, where was that pipe going to? I am no contractor but it just seems odd that in a single story home you would have a pipe that high in a wall.
Slab floor, one story, all pipes through attic.