WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1911 45* Has always been my favorite , check this out

sintax

Reaction score
For thoses of you with a Sig 1911 how do you like them?

I am in the market for a threaded 1911 and the sigs with a factory threaded barrel have peaked my interest.
Looking forward to hearing as always considered getting a SIG 1911.

Not sure if things have changed, but they used to use quite a few non-standard 1911 parts, that are specific only to their guns.

Which some folks found as a downside.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Not sure if things have changed, but they used to use quite a few non-standard 1911 parts, that are specific only to their guns.

Which some folks found as a downside.

Yeah that still applies, external extractors being the most obvious one. Additionally, their railed frames are slightly different from factor than the standardized Springfield "operator" frame so holsters may be a challenge.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

I am in the market for a threaded 1911 and the sigs with a factory threaded barrel have peaked my interest.

A potentially outside the box option would be to take a 1911 that you already have and send it to Nighthawk for them to fit one of their threaded barrels. While they have it, they could do a slide to frame fit, trigger job, reliability upgrade, magwell etc etc

That's where the fun starts :) https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/custom-shop

SLT Kota

Reaction score
A potentially outside the box option would be to take a 1911 that you already have and send it to Nighthawk for them to fit one of their threaded barrels. While they have it, they could do a slide to frame fit, trigger job, reliability upgrade, magwell etc etc

That's where the fun starts :) https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/custom-shop

I am looking for my first, my buddy has a collection of 1911's so I've always shot his but he doesn't have a threaded one. I'm tempted to buy one to build but I know I would end up going down another rabbit hole

Last edited:

Romans9

Reaction score

Sig Quality in a proven, ultra reliable platform. You literally cannot go wrong.

I have shot several and they are 90% of what my Super Custom Carry Kimber from the Custom shop is, right out of the box.
I don’t like the looks o the extractor as much but the function is not any problem at all and some argue that it is better.

Again you can’t go wrong. Do it.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I still have my dads Springfield Trophy Match 1911. One day will either shoot it or someone will buy it.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Sig Quality in a proven, ultra reliable platform. You literally cannot go wrong.

I have shot several and they are 90% of what my Super Custom Carry Kimber from the Custom shop is, right out of the box.
I don’t like the looks o the extractor as much but the function is not any problem at all and some argue that it is better.

Again you can’t go wrong. Do it.

Eh, I think Sig is riding a bit of historical quality reputation. The P320 has been plagued by quite a few issues with it not being drop safe (legitimate recall) and quite a few examples of out of battery detonation causing the gun to go boom. Not saying that any of those issues apply to their 1911, just saying that holistically sig's quality isn't what it once was.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have a P938 and a P238 that I carry. Both are excellent guns. I just bought a P365 that I put 500 rounds through the other day with zero issues. It will be one of my new carry guns, and hopefully as good as the above mentions 1911 style Sig’s.

I also have a Kimber TLE and a Colt Series 70. Not a huge 1911 guy, but they are fun to shoot.

IMG_1525.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg

Romans9

Reaction score
Eh, I think Sig is riding a bit of historical quality reputation. The P320 has been plagued by quite a few issues with it not being drop safe (legitimate recall) and quite a few examples of out of battery detonation causing the gun to go boom. Not saying that any of those issues apply to their 1911, just saying that holistically sig's quality isn't what it once was.

The 1911’s I shot were very nice quality for production guns.
I have several 365’s, 226’s and a 220 Ernie Langdon, all great quality.

Never touched a P320.

Seems like every manufacturer has up’s and down’s.
Every single firearm I buy comes home and immediately gets many rounds put down the pipe. If I like the way it shots and feels I keep it, if not I immediately sell it.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I also have a Llama , made in Spanish made , other than it being "magazine picky" its a decent piece

Attachments

• image_123650291 (10).JPG
    image_123650291 (10).JPG
    393 KB · Views: 22

Clank123

Reaction score
I’m more of a cowboy gun guy, but I got this Springfield and find it to be very smooth. Naturally I put grips on it, if Matt Dillon had to carry one of these…it would have Stag grips😂

69F1842E-3ED2-48B0-9C52-96147356E555.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Sig unfortunately went through some growing pains with the 365 when it was released. As stated above, they recalled it because of the trigger grouping. But that was like 8 years ago. They addressed the issues with the 365 and never looked back. I’ve heard the problem with sig is they kinda R&D their stuff via the public when they release something new. I have do have a 365 that I Have put, I dont know, few thousand rounds through it easily, never issue 1. And such a. Nice shooting gun. Drives nails. I have a 226 that’s basically like a pump 870. It just always works, easy to use, fuckin work horse. I also bought a 320 recently and it’s been a great gun. Probably put 2k rounds through it.

I’ve had my sig 1911 for about 10 years and absolutely love it. Again, a nail driver. Never one issue never. Matter of fact, reason I own a handful of sigs is because I’ve put a shit ton of rounds through em and have never had a failure with any of them. Only issue i ever had was training with off hand shooting with my 226 and I was limp writing it, causing a stove pipe. Tighten the wrist. Trained more. Problem solve.

I would say I’d take an sig over most other production 1911’s. But that’s just me.

Speaking of 1911’s. Finally got my paperwork back from Colt on my 1911 manufactures in 1912. Pretty cool framable document.

IMG_6095.jpeg

Last edited:

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Been meaning to contribute to this thread. this is my/was Step Grandfathers. It was in a shoebox stored in a closet for the longest time in a shoe box and the shipping box shown. It still resides in the box, just now it gets covered by a Crown Royal bag. LOL
I thought the box and paperwork were cool. One of these days I should probably get it appraised as I have no idea value on something like this or the year of Manufacture.
1911-1.jpg

1911-2.jpg

1911-3.jpg

1911-4.jpg

1911-5.jpg

1911-6.jpg

1911-7.jpg

1911-8.jpg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
the s/n comes from 1945 for a Remington Rand gun......the paperwork in your third picture says springfield.......... anyway you look at it VERY cool gun

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
the s/n comes from 1945 for a Remington Rand gun......the paperwork in your third picture says springfield.......... anyway you look at it VERY cool gun
I noticed that as well on the paperwork. But like you say, cool piece. And the box of shells...$12.96 for 50. LOL

Tank

Reaction score
Been meaning to contribute to this thread. this is my/was Step Grandfathers. It was in a shoebox stored in a closet for the longest time in a shoe box and the shipping box shown. It still resides in the box, just now it gets covered by a Crown Royal bag. LOL
I thought the box and paperwork were cool. One of these days I should probably get it appraised as I have no idea value on something like this or the year of Manufacture.
View attachment 1359670
View attachment 1359671
View attachment 1359672
View attachment 1359673
View attachment 1359674
View attachment 1359675
View attachment 1359676
View attachment 1359677
That’s a great piece.

Do you know what year it is? Post 1923 as it’s the 1911a1 frame style.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
That’s a great piece.

Do you know what year it is? Post 1923 as it’s the 1911a1 frame style.
Thanks, Best I can find based on the Serial Number is a 1945. I should probably take it to Cabela's or somewhere.

Cooter01

Reaction score
Thanks, Best I can find based on the Serial Number is a 1945. I should probably take it to Cabela's or somewhere.

For what, information?

Post up over here

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
For what, information?

Post up over here

Awesome, thank you. Just info I guess, and maybe insure it 🤷‍♂️. Best I can see (I haven’t pulled it apart) it’s Original and hasn’t been updated or customized like many I‘ve see on the limited searches I’ve done. Is it a $300, 800, ??? gun, I don’t know. Is it worth worrying about. Again don’t know.
Then again, learning the history would be cool.

SoCalZero

Reaction score

Here is my Sig. I really like it. Never jams. Using Wilson Combat mags.
IMG_5830.jpeg

The Chicken

Reaction score
I had always wanted a 1911 since the very first time I shot one. What a contrast to the only handgun I had owned at the time-a first gen Glock 9mm. The Glock was, well-a Glock. Utilitarian, ugly, with a sharp and rapid recoil typical of a light framed 9mm. All business.
The 1911 though-from the moment I picked it up, I was hooked. It felt heavy, solid. When I wrapped both my hands around it and pointed it down range, there was just something warm and reassuring about it. Snapping the safety off with my right thumb even had a satisfying feel. That strange, huge solid trigger felt just right, and even though this particular 1911 was nothing special and had a fairly heavy trigger-it was buttery smooth compared to my Glock. (then again, what trigger isn't better than a first gen Glock-LOL.) And that slow, heavy recoil-I swear I could actually SEE the slide cycle rearward and then back into battery-There was just something so overwhelmingly satisfying about shooting that gun...

However, I was a broke-ass kid slinging food at the local chicken restaurant and trying to buy a house, so there was no 1911, or any other gun for that matter, in my immediate future. I always thought it would be cool to own an old beat up decommissioned military 1911-like if that gun with it's history could talk. And I figured a 1911 like that would be affordable due to it's being used. Ha! little did I know how sought after such guns are!

Fast-forward a decade or so to around 2012-ish, IIRC. I see an article about how the Marines are about to accept a new version of the 1911 for special units. The article dubbed it "The Marine" and it was friggin sexy! Unlike classic blued or stainless 1911's, this updated gun was a tan Cerakote, had a built-in rail, and amazing looking aggressive grips. That's it-I want one! The only problem was, you couldn't have one unless you were a bad-ass Marine Special Ops member-and with a nickname like Chicken I certainly wasn't, LOL. The gun, whose official designation was a Colt M45A1, was expected to release a civilian version at some point, but it looked to be expensive and who knows when that would actually happen.

Now, here's the part where I get lucky. I happened to show my wife the article and how cool I thought the gun was. As it turns out, she's into most things that I am, and she likes guns too. She agrees that's it's a cool piece. It so happens that she occasionally shops at gun stores on her own, and one day she sees a gun that bears a resemblance to that Marine. She immediately fell in love with it, bought it on the spot and that's how a very surprised me acquired the Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 you see here!
IMG_4225.JPEG

IMG_4226.JPEG

Anyway, I love this gun! It's great to shoot, and it's never given me any issues-although admittedly I haven't put a whole lotta rounds through it. And it's special to me because my wife got it for me.

And the story of my 1911 gets just a tad bit longer. A few years ago, I got to go on a wild hog hunt, and chose this to tag along on my hip as a backup gun. My main weapon was a pretty cool AR in 300 Blackout with subs and a hush-a-boom attached. Just after dark, a pretty nice hog showed up, and I sent him a very quiet round behind his shoulder. That gun is so quiet, you can hear the rather loud thud of the bullet impacting. The hog grunted, started to go down, than jumped up with a burst of energy and disappeared into the brush. Crap! So into the brush I went with my Sig and my trusty Fenix flashlight. That's exciting.:oops: Anyway, I find a wounded hog and with the help of my flashlight and the glow in the dark sights (boy are those handy!) dispatch the wounded pig with a round to the back of the head. Now, I won't lie to you-I'm no great shot, and this pig wasn't charging me or anything crazy like that-and probably just as well-but it was still pretty intense, at least for me, to do. Well, it turns out the pig I shot with the 1911 WASN'T the pig I shot with the AR, but another pig wounded by some other hunter earlier! We found the one I had shot dead under a tree a short distance away! So I got to have a pretty amazing night with a couple of pretty amazing guns, and I love my 1911 all the more for it.

Anyway-that's my overly long 1911 story, LOL. Hope you all enjoyed.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I’m told by my LGS that the Israeli made Bul, subsidiary of Magnum Research, 1911s, are very good. Have opinions anyone?

I’m also told by same LGS that Kimber and Colt have gone down the toilet for initial quality and operation

Cooter01

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you. Just info I guess, and maybe insure it 🤷‍♂️. Best I can see (I haven’t pulled it apart) it’s Original and hasn’t been updated or customized like many I‘ve see on the limited searches I’ve done. Is it a $300, 800, ??? gun, I don’t know. Is it worth worrying about. Again don’t know.
Then again, learning the history would be cool.

The least I can do is take it off your hands for $100 🤣. I kid, usually Remington Rand, especially original ones like that go for around a few grand

I’m told by my LGS that the Israeli made Bul, subsidiary of Magnum Research, 1911s, are very good. Have opinions anyone?

I’m also told by same LGS that Kimber and Colt have gone down the toilet for initial quality and operation

Bul are very good for the monies! Depends what you want out of it though, a carry gun to shoot for fun. I would not hesitate to buy one, they are reliable, good quality, take care of it and it will take care of you.

PlanB

Reaction score

Most of the problems with Kimbers seem to be magazine related. Kimber mags are shit. I have always run Wilson Combat mags and have not had any issues.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Don't have any time with bul armory stuff, I will say that 1911s are something where you get what you pay for. At the end of the day, it's a 115 year old design that requires certain things to be fit by a gunsmith. If your budget allows it, I'd look at Dan Wesson as a great option.

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
View attachment 1359670
View attachment 1359671
View attachment 1359672
View attachment 1359673
View attachment 1359674
View attachment 1359675
View attachment 1359676
View attachment 1359677
very cool ... i have the same kind but mine says ITHACA GUN CO.INC on it

thetub

Reaction score
Dude… buy one right fucking now.. Do not wait..

No joking… cause the price on the good US Gov Issued ones has gone thru the roof over the last 10 years.

They are collectors items and are the new “Colt Single Action Army”… what do i mean by that…
In the 60’s and 70s, go to a pawn shop and you could pick up a first generation Colt SAA for next to nothing…
90s - 2000’s, find a piece of shit one that didnt even function was $2000, a decent one $3500, good one $10,000…

I have a second generation in the box, thats only been fired twice… that was done at the factory. This made me slobbering idiot when I first saw it… had to have it. Its not a first gen… but show me a better second gen.

View attachment 1353380
ok Xring you just cost me some money... went out and put a deposit on a 1975 357 Colt Python

😬

Xring01

Reaction score
ok Xring you just cost me some money... went out and put a deposit on a 1975 357 Colt Python

😬
Your stupid, because you are listening to a self professed gun addict.. LOL..😂
Never trust an addict. o_OJust messing around.

When the right gun shows up at the right price, if you dont jump on it, someone else will.

BTW… I had Colt Python 357 mag, when I was about 17 years old. So 1989 ish…
I painted cars on the week ends / summers at my BIL shop…
Dude literally walks up to me in the back of shop, hard up on cash, needed $$$, told him I had $200 on me… bought that gun.
About 2 weeks later… my dad talked me out of it for the $200 I had into it.. LOL.

Back in the day in Texas, when peeps needed $$$ the first thing they sold was the tools, second was the guns… Bought lots of guns back in the day, especially when oil industry went bust…

Xring01

Reaction score
View attachment 1359670
View attachment 1359671
View attachment 1359672
View attachment 1359673
View attachment 1359674
View attachment 1359675
View attachment 1359676
View attachment 1359677

Just google the serial number… Remington Rand ######### and the link will pop up showing you…
Pretty sure mine is also starting at 243… Its probably a 1944 or 45…
However yours is in outstanding condition compared to mine, and you have all the paper work..

There are a few stamps that would make it more valueable…

At a minimum its worth $3k could easily be worth double that.. Regardless it will only go up in value.

Let me know if you ever decide to sell it.

Looked it up for you.

IMG_0908.png

Last edited:

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
looks like mine was built in 1943 and 1 of 30000 in that SN# range

Romans9

Reaction score
Most of the problems with Kimbers seem to be magazine related. Kimber mags are shit. I have always run Wilson Combat mags and have not had any issues.
Wilson Combat mags for the win. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through them wit no trouble.