WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2015 GMC Duramax P205B Code

X Hoser

Reaction score
“Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance”. Dealer says needs def Tank /heater replacement. As this is the third one in 107,000 miles, they also said that something else must be wrong to cause tt to go out that much? (About every 31000 miles) Any one else experience this? Any suggestions? TIA

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I ran into one last year that was the same type of deal. In that particular case it was something in the ecu programming that was causing the DEF heater to come on. There is a preset temp it should be programed for...about freezing maybe? You could watch thins one on the scantool cycling when it was 60+. Factory reflash fixed it. I would hope yours being at the dealer they've already looked into that stuff.

counterpart7

Reaction score
I ran into one last year that was the same type of deal. In that particular case it was something in the ecu programming that was causing the DEF heater to come on. There is a preset temp it should be programed for...about freezing maybe? You could watch thins one on the scantool cycling when it was 60+. Factory reflash fixed it. I would hope yours being at the dealer they've already looked into that stuff.
My 2012 did it a few times. Last time it happened I eliminated the issue… and lost some weight 🙂

Last edited:

mattyc

Reaction score
“Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance”. Dealer says needs def Tank /heater replacement. As this is the third one in 107,000 miles, they also said that something else must be wrong to cause tt to go out that much? (About every 31000 miles) Any one else experience this? Any suggestions? TIA
Temp sensor is part of the reductant reservoir.
When you say third one in 100k, has it been a temp sensor problem each time? Keep in mind, the reductant reservoir contains the temp sensor, three level switches and the heater element. A fault with any of those components requires a reservoir replacement.

X Hoser

Reaction score
When you say third one in 100k, has it been a temp sensor problem each time? Keep in mind, the reductant reservoir contains the temp sensor, three level switches and the heater element. A fault with any of those components requires a reservoir replacement.
Same code all three times I believe. I also believe they replaced the reservoir each time also. The service writer said this is the 3rd time with the same problem and they are going to look into what may be causing it as he said it was not normal for it to happen this often. The only problems I’ve had with this truck are def related! All have been covered by warranty, as he said this time is too!

mattyc

Reaction score
Same code all three times I believe. I also believe they replaced the reservoir each time also. The service writer said this is the 3rd time with the same problem and they are going to look into what may be causing it as he said it was not normal for it to happen this often. The only problems I’ve had with this truck are def related! All have been covered by warranty, as he said this time is too!
All of my run-ins with 205b have been a failed temp sensor, except one ford that had a bad pcm. Strange to have the same failure that many times, but I think it's more strange that it is resolved for 30k miles after a reservoir replacement, assuming there is an underlying problem. Hard to say without being there for the diag.

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
All of my run-ins with 205b have been a failed temp sensor, except one ford that had a bad pcm. Strange to have the same failure that many times, but I think it's more strange that it is resolved for 30k miles after a reservoir replacement, assuming there is an underlying problem. Hard to say without being there for the diag.
They believe it is strange also and hopefully will find the underlying cause? If they don’t I may just trade it in and get a gas model. I’m tired of this DEF BS! :mad: Thank You for all of the input!

mattyc

Reaction score
They believe it is strange also and hopefully will find the underlying cause? If they don’t I may just trade it in and get a gas model. I’m tired of this DEF BS! :mad: Thank You for all of the input!
My father in laws 2013 has less than 80k and has had the reservoir replaced twice. Both times for a failed heater element. 🤷‍♂️

X Hoser

Reaction score
My father in laws 2013 has less than 80k and has had the reservoir replaced twice. Both times for a failed heater element. 🤷‍♂️
By chance, once the check engine light comes on will it eventually give a warning as to “x” miles before limp mode? From what I’ve read on it it sounds like it will drop to 65 MPH for 75 miles and then 55 MPH for 72 miles then 4MPH?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That’s how our neighbor cured it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ram trucks some recent years suffer the same issue.

mattyc

Reaction score
By chance, once the check engine light comes on will it eventually give a warning as to “x” miles before limp mode? From what I’ve read on it it sounds like it will drop to 65 MPH for 75 miles and then 55 MPH for 72 miles then 4MPH?
Yes, if left unresolved it will eventually go into speed control. I dont know off the top of my head when that takes place but it will give you a heads up. It's also related to ignition cycles.

Albert

Reaction score
I would lemon law that thing

hman442

Reaction score
Yes, if left unresolved it will eventually go into speed control. I dont know off the top of my head when that takes place but it will give you a heads up. It's also related to ignition cycles.
That'd be real handy if you were about 400 miles from anywhere. Limp mode in bumfuked egypt

X Hoser

Reaction score
I would lemon law that thing
Was actually planning on leaving Monday from Tennessee to Idaho. So this complicated things a little. When I get back in Idaho I will definitely explore this option!

X Hoser

Reaction score
That'd be real handy if you were about 400 miles from anywhere. Limp mode in bumfuked egypt
We had planned on leaving Tennessee for Idaho on Monday! Guess I should be glad it happened now instead somewhere in the middle of Wyoming of Montana! A lot of BFE out that way.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Was actually planning on leaving Monday from Tennessee to Idaho. So this complicated things a little. When I get back in Idaho I will definitely explore this option!

Do you live somewhere that does smog testing? If not just delete all that shit, save $50k and enjoy your truck again.

450grip

Reaction score
I had a 2015 duramax with def issues.
GM initiated the buyback when I continually took it to the dealership for service.
It had 51k miles when they took it back.
The whole process took about 3mo if I remember correctly.
I’d absolutely explore this option. Those are notorious for being a pain in the ass.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I had a 2015 duramax with def issues.
GM initiated the buyback when I continually took it to the dealership for service.
It had 51k miles when they took it back.
The whole process took about 3mo if I remember correctly.
I’d absolutely explore this option. Those are notorious for being a pain in the ass.
Was there a complaint you had to file? Everytime I call GM Customer Service I seem to get nowhere. Haven’t called on this issue though. I was thinking about hiring one of those Lemon Law Attorneys. I hired one back in 2006(?) on a Ford with transmission issues and Ford offered a cash settlement to go away!

450grip

Reaction score
Was there a complaint you had to file? Everytime I call GM Customer Service I seem to get nowhere. Haven’t called on this issue though. I was thinking about hiring one of those Lemon Law Attorneys. I hired one back in 2006(?) on a Ford with transmission issues and Ford offered a cash settlement to go away!
I didn’t do anything to initiate the buyback. The service manager at connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa contacted me and told me that GM would be contacting me for a buyback.
I didn’t threaten them, get shitty, or do anything other than take it in every time the service lights came on.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Well guess what? 2400 miles cross country and BINGO…another check engine light! Message said “Service Emissions System, 179 miles to 65MPH limit”. At least it happened 15 minutes from home. Could have been much worse if it happened in BFE, where we were quite a bid on our way from Tennessee to Idaho! Off to the dealer tomorrow :mad: Anyone on here a Lemon Law Attorney!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I don't think you can lemon law a vehicle that is out of the new vehicle warranty period?

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Just delete that shit!
This is the best, though not quite legal, option. I absolutely love the new trucks, the power and how efficient they are...
I absolutely hate that the emissions systems are what cause the vast majority of modern powertrain issues. It's not just one manufacturer either. They know what they're doing, the crap they have to saddle their equipment with is the problem.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
This is the best, though not quite legal, option. I absolutely love the new trucks, the power and how efficient they are...
I absolutely hate that the emissions systems are what cause the vast majority of modern powertrain issues. It's not just one manufacturer either. They know what they're doing, the crap they have to saddle their equipment with is the problem.

You know you're doing it right when the box the stuff comes in has a shipping address of some obscure island in the South Pacific! 🤣