WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2024 Stock market thread

CLdrinker

Reaction score
It’s been a hell of a run. Time for a pull back.

Rumors of interest rates being cut should keep the rally going.

I pulled most of the kids money out. Going to wait and see.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

I’ve got some t-bills for 2 years paying 5%, but most of my money is in the stock market, or a paid off house and cabin.

I went from rags to riches since walking through the valley of debt in 2008 and survived.

It’s not until everything is paid off, you realize how broke you are. 😉

Flatsix66

Reaction score
The Fed set it up now that any hint of NOT cutting rates will pull the market back fast. Same with the AI hype, any negative here will pull back those stocks. Rates will come down somewhat at some point, but probably not as much as anyone hopes. Mid-cap value and maybe financials could benefit in 2024, housing should boom again. Long term, no reason to waiver from a diversified low cost portfolio.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
You really watched the whole thing?

I got drawn into the PowerPoint, block diagrams, and flow chart. The time line also helps as well as demographics.

Good to know if you have stock investments using some of the fancy derivatives like options.

Jon Stewart kept me awake. 😛

Last edited:

Wolverines!

Reaction score

Why? If the Fed cuts 3x (or 6x like the market expects), this bull market is good for another 10% in 2024.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Why? If the Fed cuts 3x (or 6x like the market expects), this bull market is good for another 10% in 2024.

Commercial real estate is still a concern for some.
I don’t think the Federal Reserve wants to get in the way of those negotiations, in regards to pricing commercial real estate loans.

Stocks should be ok in 2024.

People are employed, and making a livable wage, And if they can work two jobs, they can live a solid middle class life style. 😁

PaPaG

Reaction score
HUGE money was made this last two weeks by a lot of investors that did not run scared, there was a decent amount of loss as well, hope most on RDs were on the winning side. BIG money to be made again the next few trading days, hope this rally continues to the 29th....

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The last 2 weeks did help our IRA portfolio. But, we remain down about 9% over the last 2 years.

Wolverines!

Reaction score
The last 2 weeks did help our IRA portfolio. But, we remain down about 9% over the last 2 years.
What are you in? I’m in SP500 index funds with about 2/3 and 2035 target date fund with the remaining third. We kept maxing out 401ks and IRAs while the market was down. Now our original investments have rebounded to within a percent or two of the high and we’ve added $150k of stock purchased at a nice discount. Probably gonna retire next year if Powell sticks the landing on this.

farmo83

Reaction score
HUGE money was made this last two weeks by a lot of investors that did not run scared, there was a decent amount of loss as well, hope most on RDs were on the winning side. BIG money to be made again the next few trading days, hope this rally continues to the 29th....
I've taken it in the ass all year buying companies I like that are ir sensitive. Went from down 20ish% to up 50% in a month ish time frame, well see what 2024 holds. Def had some misses and still have some laggards too though.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I've taken it in the ass all year buying companies I like that are ir sensitive. Went from down 20ish% to up 50% in a month ish time frame, well see what 2024 holds. Def had some misses and still have some laggards too though.
Glad you made some back, I think this next few weeks is going to be a nice rally then we may get into some turbulent profit taking and adjustments, just be careful and don't stay long on anything that has had some huge swings in this rollercoaster time frame. Just my opinion. I hope you get all your investments dollars doubled....then run til the dip. And get back in...

PaPaG

Reaction score
100% out of the market as of this morning. Going to wait and see what the trend is for January and buy some of my 2023 winners on the dips if it happens like I think it will.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Picked up some SQQQ this AM at 13.28 and will see how it goes into the new year. Will pull the trigger fast to lock in profits here.

Selling a few others today as I will need the tax write off for them as losers vs winners this past year.

DC-88

Reaction score
Bought some SQQQ earlier today. Holding long term all blue chips/ good companies

CLdrinker

Reaction score
100% out of the market as of this morning. Going to wait and see what the trend is for January and buy some of my 2023 winners on the dips if it happens like I think it will.
I have taken all of the kids money out except what they have profited. Playing with free money and hoping for a pull back and then we will get back in again. I would like to see Visa, Apple and VUG to crash

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Ok so my options I bought banking on the Spirit Airlines merger going through were a bust, hopefully the rest of the year gets better.
Did you buy SAVE on the dip?
I started buying in blocks of 500 shares from $7.50 down to $6.00
During the pandemic—I bought at $8.00 and sold at $24.00 in about 6-8 months.
I think stock will bounce back to around $20 within a year

farmo83

Reaction score
No I bought short term calls on spirit banking if the merger went through it would pop. It was a lotto play and I sized the position accordingly.

My legit plays this year are I'm very bullish anything suffering from high rates. As rates come off this year I thi k they will do well.

Also very bullish on metals and oils. Both these sectors have been under invested in supply for a while. As the global economy picks up this will squeeze supply.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
No I bought short term calls on spirit banking if the merger went through it would pop. It was a lotto play and I sized the position accordingly.

My legit plays this year are I'm very bullish anything suffering from high rates. As rates come off this year I thi k they will do well.

Also very bullish on metals and oils. Both these sectors have been under invested in supply for a while. As the global economy picks up this will squeeze supply.
Does the fed back pedaling on March and maybe more affect your plan or just move you back some?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Did you buy SAVE on the dip?
I started buying in blocks of 500 shares from $7.50 down to $6.00
During the pandemic—I bought at $8.00 and sold at $24.00 in about 6-8 months.
I think stock will bounce back to around $20 within a year
Dip? It fell off the cliff. Do you know what’s up?

2Driver

Reaction score
My broker said the market could go down after which it will go up, but there is a chance it could continue downward further. Once it bottoms, it will it go up. It will continue to go up unless something unforeseen happens and makes it go back down, but it should eventually go back up but there’s no guarantee.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My broker said the market could go down after which it will go up, but there is a chance it could continue downward further before going back up. Once it bottoms it will it go up, it will continue to go up unless something unforeseen happens and makes it go back down, but it should eventually go back up but there’s no guarantee.
Hopefully…

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My broker said the market could go down after which it will go up, but there is a chance it could continue downward further before going back up. Once it bottoms it will it go up, it will continue to go up unless something unforeseen happens and makes it go back down, but it should eventually go back up but there’s no guarantee.
We have the same guy.

farmo83

Reaction score
Does the fed back pedaling on March and maybe more affect your plan or just move you back some?

I'm fine with the back pedaling, more time to pick up shares at lower prices. The cuts are coming it's just a matter of when at this point.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
lol More or less the guy doesn’t know .
But it makes one feel better and that’s good .

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm betting on SQQQ as the data I have shows a major recession coming in the next 6-9 months. Most likely, we will get the grunt of it after the election. I'm just slowing adding to my position as time goes on. The 10-2 Treasury is really something to keep an eye on.

farmo83

Reaction score
We have any RIVN bulls in the group ?

I'm tempted by them potentially going profitable later this year. As beat up as they are they are an interesting play.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
We have any RIVN bulls in the group ?

I'm tempted by them potentially going profitable later this year. As beat up as they are they are an interesting play.
I have 40 shares at an average of 17$ been holding since they went public. Have played a few contracts over the 2 ish years which i re invested to average down. Looking for a good long call this year!!

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Dip? It fell off the cliff. Do you know what’s up?
Merger denied by two Fed Judges.
Said merger would lead to less competition in low fare sector and harm consumers.
Bounce should come in naturally over 12 month period or if JetBlue can appeal decision or if Frontier steps back in with offer to buy?
All just my opinion--but I have pulled a triple on Save before.

Im DCA at just over $6/share. Bought 3000 shares in total. Close today is $5.70ish
My lowest buy was at $4.25. Looking to sell at $20.00 or if I get greedy $24.00

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Merger denied by two Fed Judges.
Said merger would lead to less competition in low fare sector and harm consumers.
Bounce should come in naturally over 12 month period or if JetBlue can appeal decision or if Frontier steps back in with offer to buy?
All just my opinion--but I have pulled a triple on Save before.

Im DCA at just over $6/share. Bought 3000 shares in total. Close today is $5.70ish
My lowest buy was at $4.25. Looking to sell at $20.00 or if I get greedy $24.00
Nice intel👍

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I'm betting on SQQQ as the data I have shows a major recession coming in the next 6-9 months. Most likely, we will get the grunt of it after the election. I'm just slowing adding to my position as time goes on. The 10-2 Treasury is really something to keep an eye on.
I’ve been watching th Qs and to me there doesn’t seem to be much reaction to anything? But I don’t know shit, just learning how much I really don’t know. Lol!

Wow: SAVE swung about 35% today

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
Looks like its time or very close to investors to jump back in.......never chase the downturn or the boom but it is looking ripe right now, little bits at a time.....

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I’ve been watching th Qs and to me there doesn’t seem to be much reaction to anything? But I don’t know shit, just learning how much I really don’t know. Lol!

Wow: SAVE swung about 35% today
I don't believe it will be instantaneous. It will be a slower downward progression in my estimation.

Attachments

• 10-2 Inverted.jpg
    10-2 Inverted.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 22

Flatsix66

Reaction score
TSMC reported better than expected rev and guidance..which means they are booking orders from the other US chip companies that use them. I like the opposite of NVDA, AMD and AVGO...but I'm biased.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
SMCI for any one today! Man options went well over 1000% percent today !

Socalx09

Reaction score

PaPaG

Reaction score
I am thankful that my timing was dead on this AM premarket. What a great day so far. My # 1 suggestion...never get greedy, jump out if you made a decent % today and will walk away with a hefty profit....then get ready to jump back. I hope everyone made some dough.