WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

22 shockwave 400R Deck

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
What's up everyone... First time posting on the forum.

I decided to go with a new build from shockwave. I had a Placecraft and really liked the hull, but always wanted more power.
Order date was 7/2021 and Greg sent me these pictures 8/2022, the boat is still in rigging.

I knew I wanted Outboard power, mainly for more room inside the boat, but also just wanted Modern outboard HP, efficiency, and low operating costs.
It will have a ski pylon, #2 for shockwave on the 22 deck
Livorsi Tabs
6 inch Bobs machine jackplate
Biggest "stock" stereo
Full length bow rail #1 for the 22 deck

B4A2AD9A-FEA2-4C41-9438-4DFCCF07533F.jpeg
1CD435EE-654C-4B9A-A39B-D57326A7C5E5.jpeg
7FB499D7-6D25-45BA-B78C-1223008079EF.jpeg
5B6F6167-09CE-4B18-A717-DFABF1F83626.jpeg
5CDBFD80-AAD5-437F-91A7-0BD1AB48ED17.jpeg

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
The 22 Deck Shockwave is my next boat! I will check yours out next time I go by there!

attitude

Reaction score
Nice choice, love the colors! Are you doing a sport master lower? I don’t think anyone has really gone after a top speed number, I’m cuties to see what it will run in perfect conditions.

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Nice choice, love the colors! Are you doing a sport master lower? I don’t think anyone has really gone after a top speed number, I’m cuties to see what it will run in perfect conditions.
Sport Master with a 20" shaft. My boat should have the highest engine height Shockwave has done on a 400R. My boat will be Hull #4, each one has been different so far. I plan on reporting speeds here after taking delivery.

Hull #2 has a Sport master with a 25" shaft. 12" setback Bobs plate. The owner is reporting 70 with a 22 pitch bravo 1 FS

IMG_1691.jpg

Hull #3 has a HD offshore gearcase with a 20" shaft. 6" setback Bobs plate. Shockwave reported 76 before the engine ran out of water pressure. Unknown Prop pitch.
IMG_1692.jpg

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
The first time I saw the boat was during the Wood working Phase. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the Bottom/Top lamination.

You can see how far the rear bench moved back. I went back and forth a bunch on seating layout, I almost did a "L" in the back with a rear facing lounge. I settled on a conventional layout with the bench moved way back.

IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
The 22 Deck Shockwave is my next boat! I will check yours out next time I go by there!
Nice, Congrats. Bob builds a great boat. Compared to my 08 Placecraft this thing is way solid. Maybe you could snap some pictures for me. I'm going on a business trip and will miss the final rigging, and interior install.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Congrats on the new float. She’s going to be a real beauty when finished.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
That little bit of retool on the nose to create the, "sponson tip" look, makes a huge difference IMO, love the OB choice!

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
That little bit of retool on the nose to create the, "sponson tip" look, makes a huge difference IMO, love the OB choice!
I agree, huge difference. The bow looked like a big Duckbill before. here's a pic of my old Placrcaft. The retool also pushed the seating forward got rid of the round access holes, these were used to laminate the bow together.

Bob and the crew at shockwave also retooled the transom, they got rid of some angles that swept forward and prevented the modern catalyzed engines from fitting.

They also straightened the keel and took some "rocker" out to correct some porpoise tendencies.

Attachments

• 20200727_120650.JPG
    20200727_120650.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 81

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Shockwave's 22 Deck tool is three pieces. Bottom, Top, and a floor.
They have two floors, IO / Jet or outboard.

The front walkoff and bow seating are part of the top tool, here is a good look at the connection between the top and floor.

tempImageC1LjQo.jpg

The Laminators tape the joint and lay fiberglass on the inside first using the ski locker for access.

Then they come from the outside with more glass and shape the little nonskid section.
tempImage3pW1ot.jpg

You can't even tell when its finished.
tempImageiB78Im.jpg

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
LOVED my 22 shockwave. If I was strictly river I would have never good rid of her. Congrats!!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I was the 2nd owner of hull#1 22 deck, built with a 400r. We had a 25" shaft with 12" setback and ended up going to the 6" setback. The 25" shaft with 12" setback is the wrong setup for this boat.

I questioned why they did a 20" without a sport master lower on the latest one because we would run out of water pressure on our sport master all the time with the longer shaft. I saw 76 on my set up with a 27 bravo 1FS. We tried a max 5 but too much transom lift and boat ran wet.

Derek (hull #2) is a skier and doesn't really have his set up for speed.

I was the first one to try different props and set backs on this boat to get speed out of it. Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat about it.

Joe
661-993-9192

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
I was the 2nd owner of hull#1 22 deck, built with a 400r. We had a 25" shaft with 12" setback and ended up going to the 6" setback. The 25" shaft with 12" setback is the wrong setup for this boat.

I questioned why they did a 20" without a sport master lower on the latest one because we would run out of water pressure on our sport master all the time with the longer shaft. I saw 76 on my set up with a 27 bravo 1FS. We tried a max 5 but too much transom lift and boat ran wet.

Derek (hull #2) is a skier and doesn't really have his set up for speed.

I was the first one to try different props and set backs on this boat to get speed out of it. Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat about it.

Joe
661-993-9192
Thanks for all the info Joe.
I reached out to you already on messenger a while back.

What was your load and RPM with the 27FS

The 20" with the HD gear case was a customer request. He contacted merc and they recommended it. Bob did end up lowering the whole engine down to compensate, you can see the jack plate is lower on the transom in the photo I posted before. Greg was still able to get 76 out of it though.

I thought my setup would be similar, but with a sport master. However my jack plate is mounted in the same spot as Derek's and your old boat. Turns out my boat will be a 25 also. I'm still waiting for my motor to be delivered.

Here's a sneak peek of the transom.
tempImagepCWfrh.jpg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Joe.
I reached out to you already on messenger a while back.

What was your load and RPM with the 27FS

The 20" with the HD gear case was a customer request. He contacted merc and they recommended it. Bob did end up lowering the whole engine down to compensate, you can see the jack plate is lower on the transom in the photo I posted before. Greg was still able to get 76 out of it though.

I thought my setup would be similar, but with a sport master. However my jack plate is mounted in the same spot as Derek's and your old boat. Turns out my boat will be a 25 also. I'm still waiting for my motor to be delivered.

Here's a sneak peek of the transom.
View attachment 1177393

I never got the boat over 6500 RPM. When I hit 76 I was going up river with 4 guys, coolers and half tanks. It was perfect conditions, but we ran out of river as a group of sea doos were up ahead.

I had an issue with the steering on mine and since you are still in rigging, you may want to look into having them put an access point in to get to the high pressure fittings. Mine came loose and I lost steering on the Lower River. It was puking the merc power steering fluid out of the fitting and into the sponsor. Once we got the boat back, there was no way to get to it unless we removed the back seat completely. The line runs along the starboard side and rests on the tank. I was looking at your pics and you have your amp rack on the starboard side?? Not saying it will happen to you like it did us, but if it does, it will be a bitch to get to with the amps in the way.

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
I never got the boat over 6500 RPM. When I hit 76 I was going up river with 4 guys, coolers and half tanks. It was perfect conditions, but we ran out of river as a group of sea doos were up ahead.

I had an issue with the steering on mine and since you are still in rigging, you may want to look into having them put an access point in to get to the high pressure fittings. Mine came loose and I lost steering on the Lower River. It was puking the merc power steering fluid out of the fitting and into the sponsor. Once we got the boat back, there was no way to get to it unless we removed the back seat completely. The line runs along the starboard side and rests on the tank. I was looking at your pics and you have your amp rack on the starboard side?? Not saying it will happen to you like it did us, but if it does, it will be a bitch to get to with the amps in the way.
Didn't you have a problem with corrosion on your swim steps? Did you ever nail down what the cause was?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Didn't you have a problem with corrosion on your swim steps? Did you ever nail down what the cause was?

Nope never could figure it out. Mine wasn't the only one that had the issue either. They ended up redoing all the hardware on the transom when we switched to the 6" setback and they did the transom reinforcements. Not sure if it is still an issue anymore with the new owner.

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Here's some pieces of the interior. I took a risk with the blue stitching in the Dimond pattern, it's a little more vibrant in person and pops better. I'm a little worried about doing the base grey vinyl. I mostly boat in needles and the topock gorge, it might get hot.

I think it turned out great overall.

tempImageTWWRuV.jpg
tempImage4JIqH4.jpg
tempImageuCW8HM.jpg
tempImageaaeOoK.jpg
tempImageHBjo2k.jpg

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Here's some pieces of the interior. I took a risk with the blue stitching in the Dimond pattern, it's a little more vibrant in person and pops better. I'm a little worried about doing the base grey vinyl. I mostly boat in needles and the topock gorge, it might get hot.

View attachment 1177724 View attachment 1177726 View attachment 1177727 View attachment 1177728 View attachment 1177730
That is my only regret, I did not put enough "flavor" in our intrior
Looking Great!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

View attachment 1177724 View attachment 1177726 View attachment 1177727 View attachment 1177728 View attachment 1177730

Surprised that they don't push more customers to do the low back seats. I think the lines of the boat with the low backs and flat hatch, make the boat look so good.

170928880_10223688889557643_6113848846931453585_n.jpg

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
My boats been sitting idle on the rigging line for about a month... Just waiting on the motor to show up. Here's some pictures of the carpet.

tempImageL6VxEP.jpg
tempImage49HuzR.jpg
tempImagePcTpcL.jpg
tempImageSfYpLA.jpg

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Pushing the seat back is a great thing for space inside the boat. However all the previous 22 decks have had the same length Bimini top. I stressed to shockwave that having shade over the bench was a priority to me. I settled on a 24" rear hatch length, this pushes the hatch forward compared to hull #2 by six inches. I wanted to get the Bimini top away from the ski pylon, and be able to cover the rear bench. The Bimini top will also be all steel.

Here is hull #2. Good looking boat but the lack of shade in Havasu and Needles is a big no go for me.
bimini and hatch 400R.JPG

Kenboat

Reaction score
Your re-design of the top is very good, having a shaded area makes the boat so comfortable.
Have you been on a 22 deck in rough water and how does this hull do in 1-2 ft chop on a big lake?

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Your re-design of the top is very good, having a shaded area makes the boat so comfortable.
Have you been on a 22 deck in rough water and how does this hull do in 1-2 ft chop on a big lake?
I owned a 23 Placecraft Deck before this boat. It's the same 22ft bottom tool, except the 23 has integrated swim steps. I don't have a direct comparison because Placecraft was a different builder. 1-2 ft chop is fine but any bigger is uncomfortable. My old boat could handle holiday Havasu water, but i'd rather not be in it.

It really does best as a river boat or off weekend lake boat.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Interior colors are about exact same as mine, and we boat the same area and no issues at all with seat temps. Only derogatory i see is like mine with green thread, your blue thread will fade fast. Otherwise she’s a beaut and i hope to see it this summer.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I bugged Bob at Marine Industries West for quite a while then he built me, as well still has more of the billet bezels for the JL Audio remotes.

gordon

Reaction score
Those colors are timeless and you nailed interior very nice I luv those style size boats

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
The finish line is close...
Im out of town and have been getting updates slowly.
First time seeing the bow rail. I'm glad I asked about doing it, 1st 22 deck with a long rail.
Still haven't seen the Bimini, but at least the hardware is there.
The helm and steering wheel are a surprise upgrade, no idea they were gonna do that. Thanks Shockwave.
I really wanted OffShore controls, but to my knowledge nobody offers side mount DTS.
The ski pylon setup is a little different from the last boat one they did.
I think I'll be happy I did the Billet Tabs. The current owner of Hull #2 says it's really hard to keep settled down at low speeds. They were supposed to be Livorsi, but looks like Dana tabs are on it. 16" vs the 12" Bennet ones on all the other 22's

Shockwave should be finishing up the details today or tomorrow.
My boat will be featured in the Bart Hall Boat show this weekend in Pomona Ca.

With a possible Magazine eval to come later.

tempImageXSdTVK.jpg
tempImagesqCWSg.jpg
tempImagegiK4K6.jpg
tempImageJvP9fC.jpg
tempImagePUYc8b.jpg
tempImageHc75OH.jpg
tempImage6DtdIX.jpg
tempImagelpxNKI.jpg
tempImagePdnPP7.jpg

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Very Nive build. Looking forward to seeing it on the water.
I chose the full bow rail on my 28 as well.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
The finish line is close...
Im out of town and have been getting updates slowly.
First time seeing the bow rail. I'm glad I asked about doing it, 1st 22 deck with a long rail.
Still haven't seen the Bimini, but at least the hardware is there.
The helm and steering wheel are a surprise upgrade, no idea they were gonna do that. Thanks Shockwave.
I really wanted OffShore controls, but to my knowledge nobody offers side mount DTS.
The ski pylon setup is a little different from the last boat one they did.
I think I'll be happy I did the Billet Tabs. The current owner of Hull #2 says it's really hard to keep settled down at low speeds. They were supposed to be Livorsi, but looks like Dana tabs are on it. 16" vs the 12" Bennet ones on all the other 22's

Shockwave should be finishing up the details today or tomorrow.
My boat will be featured in the Bart Hall Boat show this weekend in Pomona Ca.

With a possible Magazine eval to come later.

View attachment 1189959 View attachment 1189960 View attachment 1189961 View attachment 1189962 View attachment 1189963 View attachment 1189964 View attachment 1189965 View attachment 1189966 View attachment 1189967
I will make sure I eat some cheese puffs before I come check it out at boat show