WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

572 Project

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Long Story but I discovered a broken valve spring. Pulled the heads and found a bad roller lifter. So pulling this apart for a complete rebuild. So my question is I have heard a cam can be reground. I assume that makes the cam smaller? The cam has one lobe with a tiny shiny spot on the lobe. The lifter looks much worse.

Attachments

• output (6).jpg
    output (6).jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 41

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You just have to know if it went through the hardening. Buildup from a wiped lifter can stick to the cam lobe. If it's pitted into the cam lobe, then it needs replacement.

Get a new cam IMO, I personally don't believe in the quality of regrinds.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
If it is a steel billet roller it can be reground and be as good as it was new also without loosing lift (you remove material from base circle)

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
They basically do an "offset grind", so the base circle becomes smaller in order to maintain the same lift. I have a guy who has been doing regrinds for me for years, no issues., but he does tell me if a cam is "done".

Kbach

Reaction score
They basically do an "offset grind", so the base circle becomes smaller in order to maintain the same lift. I have a guy who has been doing regrinds for me for years, no issues., but he does tell me if a cam is "done".
Would you mind passing paling his info? I picked up some used heads and cam/top end for my SBC street car and the .632” lift is a little big for what I wanted to run. It’s a good billet solid roller so was thinking about having it reground a little smaller and less aggressive if possible.