WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Am I wrong?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
lol, you're not wrong. But I do like when good students get rewarded for their efforts. This will be an award he will never forget. I like it. Congratulations to your son.

Albert

Reaction score
how old? Then I will decide. Part of that is on the parents. Desert and River trips require multiple Fridays off in our family so that didnt happen.
This is seriously no joke in High School

BabyRay

Reaction score
I skipped in my senior year of high school, until I was told I’d be flunked if I missed one more day (apparently, 12 days was the limit). I ended up in a good place, but I’ve wondered how much more successful I would have been if I’d applied myself and attended college. Instead, my early years of self-employment served as my advanced education. Good on your kid! It is a big deal.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
In a day and age where some parents will sit on he couch, smoking pot with their teenagers, good attendance is worth noting. Missing a Monday or Friday here and there is fine too, as long as it's for a purpose, and not to just sit around.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
They had attendance awards 40 years ago when I was in elementary school and up through high school. This is nothing new. However, in Reno, before I left teaching two years ago, as long as it was an "excused" absence, you could still get a "perfect attendance" award. It was a joke. I was very vocal about it. Kids would miss 2-3 weeks of school and still get perfect attendance for the semester. We couldn't miss a single day for the whole year.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
They had attendance awards 40 years ago when I was in elementary school and up through high school. This is nothing new. However, in Reno, before I left teaching two years ago, as long as it was an "excused" absence, you could still get a "perfect attendance" award. It was a joke. I was very vocal about it. Kids would miss 2-3 weeks of school and still get perfect attendance for the semester. We couldn't miss a single day for the whole year.
Same for me. It's quite the accomplishment to miss 0 days for the whole year.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
After my dad got out of the army in the early 50's he went to work in a machine shop ruining a centerless grinder.........did it for 32 years and never missed one day!!!!! Todays generations are sure different.

cxr

Reaction score
BAh, my son was bummed when he was littel that he never not once had perfect attendance award. Hes a physician now , so its okto miss school sometimes
for familty tips to the river or family vacations.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
My daughter's high school gave away a car last year for perfect attendance for all four years. All the perfect attendance kids (26 of them) were in a raffle and one kid won a donated new Nissan Leaf.

My daughter was sad she missed 6 days in 4 years mostly for family trips.

I was sad I didn't take her out more. Some of my best memories of my dad and brother were hookie days of snow skiing, deep sea fishing, or the river.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I got an attendance award at work one year as I was the only company employee in the whole state not to miss a day. what did I get but a free day off.

Singleton

Reaction score
My kid will never have perfect attendance.
Between river, desert, travel volleyball and family vacations, we get the notice about missing too much school.
Daughter still gets straight A’s, so I always ask what is the issue.

Make sure you celebrate that. Most kids / parents don’t have that dedication

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
In the late 70's I got a prefect attendance award . . . probably the only award I ever got in school. 😆
Mom said the only reason I got the award wasn't for attending class , but more for hanging out with my friends. 😂

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

If it's not excused, then it's fuckin truant...we have let society become a joke 🤣🤣🤣

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I used to be very strict with my son, he didn't miss school for anything, and has multiple perfect attendance school years...then Covid happened, and I saw how quickly and easily the school districts sent kids home and kept them home...after that I was like fck it, if they dont give a shit, why should I...so now, although he still doesnt miss just to sit at home, we will miss school for family trips or outings...

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Kids missed school for trips and certain activities. It got more difficult as they reached high school age.
In Ca, attendance is all about the money.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
That's great news! The only time I received a perfect attendance award was in college.