WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CPO vs Extended Warranty vs...?

samsah33

Reaction score
Looking at buying the kid a car, she may take it out of town next year for school, so some type of warranty would be nice. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties since I've heard some horror stories on those and plus the warranty companies bug the crap out of me if I even inquire about rates and coverage...

How about CPO's, are they worth the extra cash, should I hunt specifically for CPO's or just get whatever and then spring for an aftermarket warranty? What say the braintrust?

wallnutz

Reaction score
Do yourself a big favor and go to where she is going to go to school and search out a good mechanic. One of the best things I did for my piece of mind when mine went away for school.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
CPO is the way to go, it works like the original warranty and any dealer from that brand can pull the info from the vin. Extended warranties usually have an 800# to call for approval, pain in the ass for the servicing dealer and less likely for them to be able to give good service. As long as there is a dealer for the brand where she is going.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
CPO....but get the car looked at by a 3rd party..... A certain BMW dealer in a state bordering AZ took one in on trade from me (aprox 2014, MY of car Was 2012). The car had been hit HARD in the front right...repaired by a top tier body shop then all the mechanical/suspension done by a BMW dealership.....there was obviously a record of it. The car was mint, and repaired well but should NEVER have been a CPO.....I took a bath on trade 25% of that.... I was pissed when I saw it online a week later with a CPO certification, and a CPO sticker.... Car dealers aren't exactly known to be honest.. Would still chose CPO over an extended or aftermarket warranty.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
CPO on a low mileage car is the way to go. Kicks in after the factory warranty. Also, sometimes there is really good financing that goes along with this.
Haven’t been shopping, but I never saw a line item for an up charge for CPO.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
CPO....but get the car looked at by a 3rd party..... A certain BMW dealer in a state bordering AZ took one in on trade from me (aprox 2014, MY of car Was 2012). The car had been hit HARD in the front right...repaired by a top tier body shop then all the mechanical/suspension done by a BMW dealership.....there was obviously a record of it. The car was mint, and repaired well but should NEVER have been a CPO.....I took a bath on trade 25% of that.... I was pissed when I saw it online a week later with a CPO certification, and a CPO sticker.... Car dealers aren't exactly known to be honest.. Would still chose CPO over an extended or aftermarket warranty.
The accident was most likely not on the Carfax and whatever work that was done at the dealer didn't stop it from being Certified. The vin has to be approved by the OEM to be sold as Certified. Carfax reports are not up to date a lot of times, I've taken cars in trade then resold, carfax's pulled at both times, and the had the customer contact me 2 years later when trading it in with the accident on the report. Of course it's my fault in their eye's, but how can we know if it's minor damage repaired correctly.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
CPO on a low mileage car is the way to go. Kicks in after the factory warranty. Also, sometimes there is really good financing that goes along with this.
Haven’t been shopping, but I never saw a line item for an up charge for CPO.
It's built in to the sales price, usually adds 1500-2000 to the dealers cost on a normal car, maybe up to5-6k on a highline car. CPO on a low mileage used is a great way to go, but it's free by any means.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looking at buying the kid a car, she may take it out of town next year for school, so some type of warranty would be nice. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties since I've heard some horror stories on those and plus the warranty companies bug the crap out of me if I even inquire about rates and coverage...

How about CPO's, are they worth the extra cash, should I hunt specifically for CPO's or just get whatever and then spring for an aftermarket warranty? What say the braintrust?

The brain trust appears to be asleep at the wheel...

What brand of vehicle are you thinking about?

Gonna be a BIG difference between a GM and a Lexus CPO car. And some CPO cars don't even have factory backed CPO warranties. 😱

Hopefully your considering a Toyota/Lexus product?

clark

Reaction score

if you are buying a new/used vehicle from a major manufacture dealership look into their xtended warranty/service contract which can be rolled into the sales contract and is transferable or refundable the unused portion should you trade vehicle in. Look strong at a new/previously owned toyota

samsah33

Reaction score
The brain trust appears to be asleep at the wheel...

What brand of vehicle are you thinking about?

Gonna be a BIG difference between a GM and a Lexus CPO car. And some CPO cars don't even have factory backed CPO warranties. 😱

Hopefully your considering a Toyota/Lexus product?

Looking at Nissan or Hyundai, but I'm sketchy on the insurance issues with the Hyundai... Shopping more on price, looking at the $18-20k range, so that puts me in the market for a lot of different makes and models. Figure if I can get a CPO, then I'll be a bit more forgiving on the brand.

Ya, noticed that some GM dealers sell CPOs with warranties thru a 3rd party, so they're not factory backed.

Wife has a Lexus, this is her 2nd, but they haven't been quite as reliable as I remember my Toyotas...

samsah33

Reaction score
You all are awesome, thanks for the advice, sounds like CPO for the win.

Will absolutely have towing and roadside assistance no matter what I get, either thru AAA or our insurance or CPO. That's a given...!

Solid advice on the mechanic where she goes, will likely be San Diego and we have family there and I'm sure they know some people who know some people...

Ironically, she'll be a freshman and I'm finding out that most universities require freshman to live in the dorms and they don't allow cars, but her younger sister just got her license last month :eek:, so either way we need another car, whether it goes to school with her or not.

Now, off to the RDP classifieds, I need to post up a gently used CPO kidney so that I can afford all this college shit... Hopefully the classifieds are still free...?

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score

Feel free to call me anytime or text me if you need help on a Carfax or some advice…

Dave
951-259-4404

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Having 50K + CPO , Extended warranty Factory warranty and Mechanical insurance claims inspections (since 86') I have loads of "stories" and personal experience .FWIW CPOs can be administrated by 3rd party companies who also admin Service contracts as well , anyone with questions about a specific plan feel free to DM me

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looking at Nissan or Hyundai, but I'm sketchy on the insurance issues with the Hyundai... Shopping more on price, looking at the $18-20k range, so that puts me in the market for a lot of different makes and models. Figure if I can get a CPO, then I'll be a bit more forgiving on the brand.

Ya, noticed that some GM dealers sell CPOs with warranties thru a 3rd party, so they're not factory backed.

Wife has a Lexus, this is her 2nd, but they haven't been quite as reliable as I remember my Toyotas...

Ugh. Do NOT buy your kid a Korean car. I have friends that worked for them. Just no.

Nothing wrong with Nissan at all...

I can't speak to who honors their CPO warranties though? Maybe someone else has the answer to that? Hopefully it's a factory CPO like Toyota/Lexus offers. If so, you're golden. 👍🏼

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Ugh. Do NOT buy your kid a Korean car. I have friends that worked for them. Just no.

I can't speak to who honors their CPO warranties though? Maybe someone else has the answer to that? Hopefully it's a factory CPO like Toyota/Lexus offers. If so, you're golden. 👍🏼
I'm sure he Happiest day In the Nissan companies world was when a ship sank off shore with 3500 Nissans on board , The CVT transmission are very problematic , We look at a couple a week, Toyata and Mazdas have the best Japanese track records from my standpoint

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure he Happiest day In the Nissan companies world was when a ship sank off shore with 3500 Nissans on board , The CVT transmission are very problematic , We look at a couple a week Toyata and Mazdas have the best Japanese track records from my standpoint

CVT's suck no matter what car they are in. The mini cooper is just Awful to drive! 🤣

Probably why I dislike rubber band SxS's so much...

Blue Oval

Reaction score
If you buy a CPO, make sure the warranty company is the manufacture of the car! Just went thru a nightmare with the local Chevy dealer that we do all their Ford repairs. They sold a used Escape. The rear end was out of it, I offered to send a video of the noise. They would not pay for the repair unless I could show them metal in the oil. It was using anti freeze. I refused to take the engine apart. Sent it back to the Chevy store. They took the engine completely apart. Needed a complete engine. Warranty company said it was a manufacture problem and they would not pay. Their 85 year old customer has a car with no engine setting in their back lot. If it was a Ford warranty, it would of been fixed and back on the road.

dribble

Reaction score
If you buy a CPO, make sure the warranty company is the manufacture of the car! Just went thru a nightmare with the local Chevy dealer that we do all their Ford repairs. They sold a used Escape. The rear end was out of it, I offered to send a video of the noise. They would not pay for the repair unless I could show them metal in the oil. It was using anti freeze. I refused to take the engine apart. Sent it back to the Chevy store. They took the engine completely apart. Needed a complete engine. Warranty company said it was a manufacture problem and they would not pay. Their 85 year old customer has a car with no engine setting in their back lot. If it was a Ford warranty, it would of been fixed and back on the road.

That wouldn’t be a CPO warranty. Only a manufacturer’s dealer can sell a CPO and the car has to be delivered in as new condition with all manuals, keys etc. Most of them also come with free maintenance during the warranty period.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
CPO is a great way to roll, IMO.

I just picked up a Cayenne that is CPO. 18K miles, one year left of the original warranty, the CPO warranty starts at the end of the original warranty and runs for another two years unlimited miles. No brainer.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Big fan of CPO. Last 4 vehicles were CPO. Audi, BMW and Porsche

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That wouldn’t be a CPO warranty. Only a manufacturer’s dealer can sell a CPO and the car has to be delivered in as new condition with all manuals, keys etc. Most of them also come with free maintenance during the warranty period.

Apparently you've been retired too long.

Fucking used car lots advertise CPO vehicles now.

The Rules mean nothing anymore. 🤬

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Nissans are worse pieces of shit than the Korean stuff.

Blue Oval

Reaction score

The sad thing for this nice lady was, she bought a used car from a new dealer using a Mickey Mouse extended warranty. I was just giving my 2 cents to help with this gentleman’s car search.

dribble

Reaction score

I guess. So they call it CPO with some shit house warranty? That’s got to piss off the mfgrs. When I buy a CPO vehicle it’s at the dealer that handles that line.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
In the FWIW department , having worked in the automobile industry for most of my adult career and worked for as many as 30/40 administrators of service contracts and extended warranties etc , To me seeing "both ends" its all about the honesty and integrity of the dealer/seller/sales person AND what both folks believe and want to believe AND how these products are sold and represented . The other aspect is the "buyer" and what they allow themselves to be sold especially in the "heat of passion" known as the F and I box (finalization/culmination) of the deal F and I (finance and insurance) people are salesmen too ! Keep in mind , salespeople are the ones who smooze you into buying a vehicle the F&I go in for the "Kill" selling life and GAP insurances and service contacts etc .... When your told "yeah this policy covers EVERYTHING!" be skeptical don't be pressured and do your homework even if it takes time and a second appointment to culminate "the deal" Tactics used are amazing Nothing has really changed much in my 50 years of being in the industry ..................... Good example , We were "completely approved" for our most recent deal and after an hour and a half of doc signing with a charming little F&I closer lady and at the very END Came the upsells (various insurance and "add ons" ) and and "Oh by the way" we need proof of income .........................

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I guess. So they call it CPO with some shit house warranty? That’s got to piss off the mfgrs. When I buy a CPO vehicle it’s at the dealer that handles that line.
"certified" is a meaningless term that gives people a false perspective of quality. I can create standards and certify anything I want to those standards, and then it will be "certified".

Is it shady?....not really. It's just marketing.

Purchasing a house nameplate used car under the CPO program from a new car dealer should mean that the car meets the manufacturer's standards for the CPO program....but maybe the dealer has their own program too...who knows. Gotta ask and read the fine print.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
A true CPO can only be sold through that brands dealerships and the CPO warranty come from the OEM. Anything else is aftermarket and not the same, not all aftermarket warranties are shit, but read the fine print.