WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DOD Delete?

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I have the EchoTec3 5.3 motor in my 14 silverado, it runs great, never an issue, has about 94k miles on it. I know earlier generation AFM 5.3 had lifter or cam issues as they reached higher mileage. Thinking about keeping it and was considering a DOD (displacement on demand) delete. I have a programmer already and have not used the active fuel management v8/v4 since About 10k miles, but I have not actually deleted afm. Was thinking about a delete,cam, long tubes , and tune. Anyone done this and regret it or had issues. Looking for good or bad advise

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
They are bound to fail! Swap it now. Cam headers 3000 stall and let it rip

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A cam really wakes these motors up. Delete AFM for sure you if you do a cam swap.

The Gen V LT motors (which you have, as do I) have revised/improved AFM.
If you aren’t doing a cam I wouldn’t remove it unless it’s failed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Any good reasonable mechanics recommended, I’m in chino hills

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Has Anyone done a swap on a gen V L83 5.3? Any recommended shops or mechanics? Also anyone have a connect to get long tubes, you can pm me that. any recommendations on aftermarket ported heads or should I just have mine done. One guy I’ve been talking to is suggesting i do CNC work with a competition multi angle valve job on my heads, but would add a week in down time without my truck. He also wanted to do a cammotion custom cam.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Has Anyone done a swap on a gen V L83 5.3? Any recommended shops or mechanics? Also anyone have a connect to get long tubes, you can pm me that. any recommendations on aftermarket ported heads or should I just have mine done. One guy I’ve been talking to is suggesting i do CNC work with a competition multi angle valve job on my heads, but would add a week in down time without my truck. He also wanted to do a cammotion custom cam.
What are your goals for the truck? The newer DOD stuff is more reliable than the 2013-prior motors. Any camshaft gains are mostly going to move the torque curve further up the power range and add RPM, which is great for drag racing, but not really a benefit for towing / pulling hills. Biggest bang for the buck is doing long tube headers / CAI / tune and running E85 if available. If you really want big gains, slap a blower on it and keep the camshaft mild, get all the power and drivability, while keeping the low end off-idle torque to move a heavy truck around with stock gears and stall.
FYI - anyone telling you to port the stock heads and recommending a “multi angle valve job” for a 5.3 Gen V motor is gonna take your wallet for a ride with minimal gains

Last edited:

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
What are your goals for the truck? The newer DOD stuff is more reliable than the 2013-prior motors. Any camshaft gains are mostly going to move the torque curve further up the power range and add RPM, which is great for drag racing, but not really a benefit for towing / pulling hills. Biggest bang for the buck is doing long tube headers / CAI / tune and running E85 if available. If you really want big gains, slap a blower on it and keep the camshaft mild, get all the power and drivability, while keeping the low end off-idle torque to move a heavy truck around with stock gears and stall.
FYI - anyone telling you to port the stock heads and recommending a “multi angle valve job” for a 5.3 Gen V motor is gonna take your wallet for a ride with minimal gains
honestly, just some extra pep and fun to drive. I rarely tow more than 5 miles to the launch ramp. Just trying to prevent any of those issue if I plan on keeping truck a few more years. The extra pep will help me want to drive it everyday rather than buying a new 70k truck, lol

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on replacing my intake w the l86 intake and throttle body, headers, CAI, and a tune. I’ve read the intake helps w responsiveness and a few more ponies and a relatively cheap bolt on

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If you’re gonna do all that work and swap the cam, you’d best invest in a higher stall speed torque converter.

It’ll be a total dog otherwise.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If you’re gonna do all that work and swap the cam, you’d best invest in a higher stall speed torque converter.

It’ll be a total dog otherwise.

I'd leave the stock cam alone, throw some gears in it and maybe a 2800-3000 Yank or Circle D converter if you really want to break the tires loos and get sideways, and tune it for E85. Leave it smog legal. It will feel like a whole different truck when you stomp on it

rrrr

Reaction score
Spending $5K or more to pep up a six year old truck seems a bit misguided, but that's just me.