WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electric Fireplace

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Anyone here have an electric fireplace and what are your thoughts. I know absolutely nothing about them and am considering on adding it to my list. Anyone here have your wall framed out to add an electric fireplace with a tv and mantle. How much am I looking at for just the construction. Looking at doing in havasu. Something like this

Attachments

• IMG_3013.png
    IMG_3013.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2898.png
    IMG_2898.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2897.png
    IMG_2897.png
    933.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2895.png
    IMG_2895.png
    2 MB · Views: 118

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
One of the guys at Big Bend framed one into his mobil. He also framed the TV in right above it.

Looks Very cool and puts out a ton of heat!

The one he has has a ton of different display options. All remote control controlled.

I thought it was pretty slick. 👍🏼

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have one in the Toy Hauler. It’s been getting down in the 20’s F at night and it keeps the TH at 65f.

When running it, the Predator 3500 burns a tank of gas from midnight to 6 am at that outside temp.

Gasoline in the generator is easier than hassling propane.

I like it a lot, the kids think me liking it is like the dad liking that leg lamp in Christmas Story.

IMG_3313.jpeg

Last edited:

yz450mm

Reaction score
We have one in the Toy Hauler. It’s been getting down in the 20’s F at night and it keeps the TH at 65f.

When running it, the Predator 3500 burns a tank of gas from midnight to 6 am at that outside temp.

Gasoline in the generator is easier than hassling propane.

I like it a lot, the kids think me liking it is like the dad liking that leg lamp in Christmas Story.

View attachment 1307245
Yup, this weekend in Johnson Valley the propane furnace in the toy hauler couldn't keep up worth a shit.

The third AC in the garage is also a heat pump, so between that, the electric fireplace, and the furnace we were able to keep it warm in the whole trailer (running the 5500).

The anemic and poorly ducted furnaces they put in these humongous toy haulers are ridiculous, maybe good down to 45 if that. This last weekend reminded me to throw the 3000 watt inverter gen and another electric heater in the trailer, and then just run those and the fireplace on low all night.

Reactions: TPC

JayBreww

Reaction score
About $1250 in supplies to build this out in Kentucky at my buddies. We recessed the TV in the wall for a flush look. He did a dark stain on the mantel.

Attachments

• IMG_5810.png
    IMG_5810.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5809.png
    IMG_5809.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 107

Husqy510

Reaction score
Recently did one in my master bedroom and did all the work myself. I probably have 12-1500 into the whole project. I got the fireplace and mantle from Amazon.

Has multiple display options and puts out plenty of heat, but not as cool as the real thing

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't know how good they work in a house. I have one in my RV, and it works killer in there.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our 40' fifth wheel came with one. Had thoughts of removing it. 2nd night, with everything finally put away, sitting in a recliner, watching the wide screen tv, enjoying a class of wine, dog laying at my feet, I turned on the faux electric fire place with the remote, dog looked up and immediately walked over and layed down in front of that phony fire. Told the wife, I just changed my mind. Let's keep the fire place. In cold weather the heater was just enough to take the chill off. When we bought our home in LHC, we bought a TV unit that has one. We do use it. And it's also enough to take the chill off.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have installed a couple of these. One we opened the wall and put in a header over it, the other we built out a false wall to provide a mantel.

It just needs an outlet or electrical supply in the back, otherwise it is just drywall work. Not too pricey.

They come with a remote and can make lots of fun colors to fit your mood or decor.

We are going to be installing another one on a current project in a couple weeks.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Any brands/models to look at or avoid. Thank you for all the input, appreciate it

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Any brands/models to look at or avoid. Thank you for all the input, appreciate it

Awhile back, I was asking about outdoor heaters, and someone gave me a link to a place that sold Every kind of heater you can imagine.

These were included.

Maybe someone remembers what website it was??

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I don't know if gas is an option. I put one in close to 25 years ago and use it as the primary source of heat in the house. We like a cold sleeping environment, but warm when we are watching TV or hanging out. Our main room is 25 x 32 and it does a fantastic job. The new ones have battery valves and remotes, ours is manual, but power outages don't affect us from being warm.

2Driver

Reaction score
Serious question. So its a video of a fire with some electric heat module and a low flow fan or something.

traquer

Reaction score
Serious question. So its a video of a fire with some electric heat module and a low flow fan or something.
I think so. The good thing is you don't need a mantel and can put a TV right above it since the fan directs the heat outward through some slots, so heat is not rising directly into your new $3k OLED TV like with a natural gas or real fireplace.

I will be adding one when I do my upgrades. Sucks not having a fireplace, but at least I can get the cool look and feel of fire. I'd add a modern real wood stove but that takes up room that I don't have, and the cost to run a chimney would add a few grand I imagine since I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself.

traquer

Reaction score
And I don't think it's a "video" like it doesn't use LEDs, rather I think it's some sort of holographic effect where they put heat on a crystal lattice of some sorts and it heats up and changes color. Not sure how they control it, the "flame" probably follows a prebuilt template

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We like ours a lot. Doesn’t put out tremendous heat but it is nice to stand in front of if you want a quick warm on the butt. It does help keep the chill off.
Pretty cool ambiance too.
IMG_5050.jpeg
IMG_5058.jpeg

boat527

Reaction score
An oil painting of a pretty fire with a cheap 2500w electric heater would work better..and you'd have more money for boat gas!

Electric and " fireplace" have zero reason to ever be grouped together...

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Not a fan of a fake fire. Our last home had 5 fireplaces . . . only ones I used were the wood burning.

Wood burning are no longer allowed when building in Riverside County {sure to be all Cali} unless it’s your only source of heat, so if you’re taking out a real one to put in fake, I wouldn’t.

I’d load all the lumber from the job and stack it just to have a real, crackling fire 🔥 every night.

I’ll 2nd the Dimplex brand which is what Larry puts in. Have no working experience but haven’t had any complaints from customers.

Got a guy if you need one.

“Mrs.”

DLC

Reaction score
We converted our wood to gas, so much easier and we use it a lot more In San Diego - push a button and Boom !

Different home than listed above.
image.jpg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We converted our wood to gas, so much easier and we use it a lot more In San Diego - push a button and Boom !

Different home than listed above. View attachment 1307652
I just can’t do that yet for our main fireplace. There’s just something about real wood The smell some lite smoke effect for us.
Maybe in the future. 🤷

LuauLounge

Reaction score
The new gas inserts are super efficient, whereas wood sucks the warm air along with the smoke. The vent for the insert, which is 3” aluminum dryer vent, runs up the chimney and has a vented cap on it.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
We have a small one in our bedroom similar to this one, it does it job, puts out a little heat and ambiance. We have a real one in the living room, but the wife doesn't like the smell of smoke from real wood in the house so we only burn Duraflame firelogs, I would love to switch it over to gas, but where we live we dont have gas its an electric only so its not that easy.

1701185014590.png

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
We have one in Havasu and love it. Use it all the time without the heat.

IMG_0015.jpeg

Morehart

Reaction score
Wife insisted I get one. Not a fan of it but it gets turned on for the visual effect every once in a while. If the heater goes out I guess it would help. A couple of years ago ca banned Woodburning fireplaces or stoves. I really wanted a small wood burning stove installed in our den as part of out addition. Nothing beats the fireplace or wood burning 🔥