WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fire suppression

69hondo

Reaction score
Bringing this up as it has been on my list but gets put off. Seeing what happened to that pour guy in RZR at glamis has got me thinking about it again.

Any of you guys have systems in your offroad toy? If so what system do you have?

Dunerking

Reaction score
Our group was talking about this last weekend at Glamis. One guy said he’s got one on his boat…I’m sure there are kits available that can be installed onto almost anything. Definitely going to install one on our XX.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
I'd recently saw an advertisement for a product that helps suppresses small fires is a "fire blanket" that you can find either on Amazon or elsewhere if searched. Seems like a good idea to have on hand for added safety for small fires that say might be just starting to flare up, etc.. House, car, boat, camping, etc..

yz450mm

Reaction score
I don't have this system, but it's a good example of what's out there.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I don't have this system, but it's a good example of what's out there.

So I was thinking with 3 nozzles where would you place them? Do you want to put out the fire or just minimize and give the occupants a few more seconds to get out? Can you breathe with them going off?
1. on the Firewall or over Engine
2. driver/passenger compartment
3. At the gas tank or added driver/passenger compartment

DLC

Reaction score
My buddy has one on his Rzr turbo s, haven’t paid that much attention to see how many nozzles it has

DWC

Reaction score
My buddy has one on his Rzr turbo s, haven’t paid that much attention to see how many nozzles it has
Hmmmn, anyone we know🤔

Reactions: DLC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So I was thinking with 3 nozzles where would you place them? Do you want to put out the fire or just minimize and give the occupants a few more seconds to get out? Can you breathe with them going off?

Fire suppression is to give occupants time to get out. The car will be a mess after that stuff deploys.

I’d do engine area behind the firewall, one in the rear passenger area and one in the front passenger area.

If it’s got a temp bulb, I’d put that on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

Dunerking

Reaction score
I noticed the different bulbs…what degree would be best in the engine compartment?

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I noticed the different bulbs…what degree would be best in the engine compartment?
It’s gonna depend on where you want to mount the bulb.

If you want it in the exhaust/turbo adjacent area, the 200 or even 286 may be what you want.

If you were going to mount it higher up, the stock bulb would be fine.

In a play car with a bed I might run the car around and check temps with a temp gun to get an idea of average temps and radiant heat so you don’t activate the system going up a hill or something 😂.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We have this. Anyone that wants to check it, just let me know, I'll be happy to meet you somewhere in Havasu, or out on a trail ride.

We need to add a handheld extinguisher.

We have this. Anyone that wants to check it, just let me know, I'll be happy to meet you somewhere in Havasu, or out on a trail ride.

We need to add a handheld extinguisher.

Is yours an auto or manual activation?

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Fire suppression is to give occupants time to get out. The car will be a mess after that stuff deploys.

I’d do engine area behind the firewall, one in the rear passenger area and one in the front passenger area.

If it’s got a temp bulb, I’d put that on the firewall in the engine compartment.
This raises a question for me that I need to solve. How fast can my wife get out of the car. Fully belted in, with helmet, comms and pumper.

When I raced, we had a rule that you had to get out in the time your suit rating provided for fire safety. We had rules about synthetic clothing, but in a pleasure craft, I've ignored that strategy. I think we need to revisit some of those rules.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This raises a question for me that I need to solve. How fast can my wife get out of the car. Fully belted in, with helmet, comms and pumper.

When I raced, we had a rule that you had to get out in the time your suit rating provided for fire safety. We had rules about synthetic clothing, but in a pleasure craft, I've ignored that strategy. I think we need to revisit some of those rules.

Yes. We had similar drills for racing. It is tough balancing play car ease of use with race car safety, in a toy that can attain race like speeds.

Now throw in 2 kids that are closer to the source of the fire than I am..

Ugh.

yz450mm

Reaction score

Yes. We had similar drills for racing. It is tough balancing play car ease of use with race car safety, in a toy that can attain race like speeds.

Now throw in 2 kids that are closer to the source of the fire than I am..

Ugh.
I put mag locks on our helmets and really like them vs the regular push on fresh air hose connection. In an emergency egress, it's one less thing to worry about when seconds count.

yz450mm

Reaction score
"The system utilizes 4Fire Universal as the suppression agent. 4Fire presents as an AFFF(aqueous film forming foam), which blankets everything it touches."

AFFF is mostly used on fuel/oil fires, and in a perfect scenario forms a film on top of the burning material to exclude O2 from the fire. When we put one of these systems in the race car, there will be (2) nozzles pointed at the fuel cell and engine area (behind cockpit) and (2) nozzles on the dash pointing towards the driver and co driver. A fuel fire in the race car is our biggest nightmare, but I think the majority of SxS fires seem to come from belts catching on fire?

With a (3) nozzle system for a SxS, I would probably put 2 facing rearward into the engine compartment, and one facing forward into the cab. For a (4) seater, I would do (2) into engine and (1) each in to the front and rear seat areas, and go with the 10 pound bottle.

Deckin Around

Reaction score

I've done that with my kids but not with the car on it's side then upside down. Being suspended upside down in a race harness makes it 10x harder to unlatch on any style clip and being on your side requires the driver and passenger to coordinate who unlatches and goes out first if you cant get out the windshield. (Always the top guy). I'm totally tempted to drain all the fluids on a 2 seat car and do it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Auto activation. I have no idea where the nozzles are pointed it was on the car when I bought it and I have not looked it. I will next time I pull the car out.

Please let us know how yours is set up after you get a closer look.

Our friends Turbo S is the same way.. it has it but no idea how it is set up 🤣

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I've done that with my kids but not with the car on it's side then upside down. Being suspended upside down in a race harness makes it 10x harder to unlatch on any style clip and being on your side requires the driver and passenger to coordinate who unlatches and goes out first if you cant get out the windshield. (Always the top guy). I'm totally tempted to drain all the fluids on a 2 seat car and do it.
Just go rock crawling; you'll likely get the chance. :)

Angie was in an offroad crash with my ex-business partner years ago. He was knocked out, and it was a rude awakening for her about knowing how stuff works like the radio and kill switch. It might be a good idea to speak to these things with passengers as well.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Just go rock crawling; you'll likely get the chance. :)

Angie was in an offroad crash with my ex-business partner years ago. He was knocked out, and it was a rude awakening for her about knowing how stuff works like the radio and kill switch. It might be a good idea to speak to these things with passengers as well.
Now that you mention it, the kill switch in the race car is on the left side of the steering wheel. It should actually be in the middle where the co driver can reach it as well, or at least have another in-line switch for him that also kills the car/battery.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, the kill switch in the race car is on the left side of the steering wheel. It should actually be in the middle where the co driver can reach it as well, or at least have another in-line switch for him that also kills the car/battery.
Balancing act, because it should also be accessible from outside the vehicle.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm aware of at least (2) fires in ocotillo wells this weekend and at least (1) in glamis, think everyone should take note of this conversation, you never know if it will happen to you.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Well I am very paranoid and now will be trying to add a fire suppression system into the RZR. I’ll ask for it for Christmas now. We have the AGM auxiliary tanks so we carry a lot of fuel. I hated when we used the rotopaks before we added the tanks. But, I can usually justify any safety additions to the RZR.

2019 RZR turbo s 4 seater. Did any of you figure out what system you were going with and the nozzle placement?

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Well I am very paranoid and now will be trying to add a fire suppression system into the RZR. I’ll ask for it for Christmas now. We have the AGM auxiliary tanks so we carry a lot of fuel. I hated when we used the rotopaks before we added the tanks. But, I can usually justify any safety additions to the RZR.

2019 RZR turbo s 4 seater. Did any of you figure out what system you were going with and the nozzle placement?
I carry the ROTo packs in the buggy for my kids bikes on long rides. We were just fueling them up last weekend and one was leaking at the mold seam. SCARY shit when you think about it.

I have not decided on what system yet.

Socalx09

Reaction score
I carry the ROTo packs in the buggy for my kids bikes on long rides. We were just fueling them up last weekend and one was leaking at the mold seam. SCARY shit when you think about it.

I have not decided on what system yet.
That has always scared me. We still have the roto paks in the garage, but need to leak test them if they are ever to be used again. I’m glad you were able to catch that on the full up.

Just ordered the safe craft system. It is the two nozzle version since the RZR is a turbo.

69hondo

Reaction score
That has always scared me. We still have the roto paks in the garage, but need to leak test them if they are ever to be used again. I’m glad you were able to catch that on the full up.

Just ordered the safe craft system. It is the two nozzle version since the RZR is a turbo.
Awesome keep mu/us posted on the install.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Awesome keep mu/us posted on the install.
Will do. Ontrac says it’ll be delivered here today, but still shows it’s in Utah. So hoping it will be here today or tomorrow for a Sunday install. The RV steps also aren’t working so a new unit will be installed Sunday too. It’s already a $$$ season and we haven’t been to Glamis yet.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Will do. Ontrac says it’ll be delivered here today, but still shows it’s in Utah. So hoping it will be here today or tomorrow for a Sunday install. The RV steps also aren’t working so a new unit will be installed Sunday too. It’s already a $$$ season and we haven’t been to Glamis yet.
Pretty standard with this toy stuff…always something. Lol
Look forward to hearing about you install as my neighbor and I both want to install fire suppression systems.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Pretty standard with this toy stuff…always something. Lol
Look forward to hearing about you install as my neighbor and I both want to install fire suppression systems.

Can you be the guinea pig for XX so I can copy your homework?

Dunerking

Reaction score
I’m hoping to pull the trigger in the next week or 2.
I’m thinking of a 2 nozzle system,one in the engine compartment and one in the passenger area.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Well it was just delivered and unfortunately it only came with one nozzle. Just sent an email to customer service. I’m sure they will just send the two nozzle lines in the mail, but don’t want to install it all until confirmation that we don’t have to return the whole kit.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Update-

After talking to Rocky Mountain atv who was helpful, but couldn’t provide more direction on the second nozzle system.. I ended up emailing safecraft. This was safe craft response. So some of you might want to wait for the new design.

“Unfortunately, we do not advise adding the second line on after purchasing as everything is leak-proof & secured here. You would have to undo & replace a fitting to add the second line. However, with that said, I do not have the second line available for purchase right now. We are currently redesigning our entire UT line & do not have the redesign ready (there is nothing wrong with the unit you currently have)”

I am reaching out to Rocky Mountain again to see if I can return it and hoping there’s no restocking fee. If there’s a restocking fee, I guess we will have a one nozzle system and I misunderstood their video on the website regarding the turbo cars.

69hondo

Reaction score
Update-

After talking to Rocky Mountain atv who was helpful, but couldn’t provide more direction on the second nozzle system.. I ended up emailing safecraft. This was safe craft response. So some of you might want to wait for the new design.

“Unfortunately, we do not advise adding the second line on after purchasing as everything is leak-proof & secured here. You would have to undo & replace a fitting to add the second line. However, with that said, I do not have the second line available for purchase right now. We are currently redesigning our entire UT line & do not have the redesign ready (there is nothing wrong with the unit you currently have)”

I am reaching out to Rocky Mountain again to see if I can return it and hoping there’s no restocking fee. If there’s a restocking fee, I guess we will have a one nozzle system and I misunderstood their video on the website regarding the turbo cars.
oh man thats a bummer but thanks for being our Genny pig ;)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Rolled up on this unfortunate scene tonight, we got there about 30 seconds before PD did and they immediately started turning people away, hope everyone got out. We have a 2.5lb safecraft bottle on a quick release mount on the passenger seat of my truck, but were unfortunately in my wife's car tonight.

IMG_20231210_191736.jpg

yz450mm

Reaction score
Well, shit

Don't beat yourself up, 2.5 would not have touched that fire. 5 lb with experience might have given them a few extra seconds to get out (or get pulled out), 10 lb could make a pretty good dent (for rescue purposes).

The problem with vehicle fires is that the metal holds onto the heat and will keep reigniting, so an extinguisher only works briefly.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up, 2.5 would not have touched that fire. 5 lb with experience might have given them a few extra seconds to get out (or get pulled out), 10 lb could make a pretty good dent (for rescue purposes).

The problem with vehicle fires is that the metal holds onto the heat and will keep reigniting, so an extinguisher only works briefly.

Car was fully involved by, they were gone by the time we got there IMO

Socalx09

Reaction score
Update #2- It was not the correct kit for the turbo version after all. It only had one sensor, instead of 2. It is being returned back to Rocky Mountain.

Safecraft is going to email me when their new turbo line comes out in mid January and I will get that kit. The Glamis trip for New Years will hopefully be the last trip without the suppression system.