WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Good snowpack end of season

caribbean20

Reaction score
Flew home over the Rockies yesterday. It was a beautiful sight. Just checked to see if the “official” figures aligned with a Birds Eye view. They do.
IMG_6751.png

Sharky

Reaction score
Its not as good as it looks.

Colorado Headwaters, a lot of it does not head west.

It actually heads east. Gunnison, where our family ranch is that feeds the lower part of the Colorado is low.

Arkansas ends up in the gulf of Mexico.

But, we are in the middle of our snowiest season now so it will improve.

prorider

Reaction score
Dolores shows 100% but midrange country is where most the acres are is almost bare. This time last year we had 5-6 feet in same area. Hopefully April is wet.

playdeep

Reaction score
262 inches of snow this winter at Santa fe ski area so far this year.
Rio Grande will be overflowing which is great news because it feeds into Elephant Butte lake...

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'm in southwest Utah...woke up this morning to about 6" of wet snow.....throughout the day it melted due to .63"of rain this afternoon.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The upper Colorado basin is definitely not as good as last year, but overall, the Bureau of Rec says 110% of the median and 105% of the average, and hopefully more to come.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Its not as good as it looks.

Colorado Headwaters, a lot of it does not head west.

It actually heads east. Gunnison, where our family ranch is that feeds the lower part of the Colorado is low.

Arkansas ends up in the gulf of Mexico.

But, we are in the middle of our snowiest season now so it will improve.
Not trying to thread the needle here, but I’m pretty sure ANY snow melt west of the Continental Divide, heads WEST, not east.

Sharky

Reaction score
Not trying to thread the needle here, but I’m pretty sure ANY snow melt west of the Continental Divide, heads WEST, not east.
For the Colorado, look up the Grand Ditch and the Never Summer Mountains.

Also Dillon Reservoir, that is on the west, pumps most of its water through tunnels back east to Denver. Its Denvers water supply. And several other cities that use Denver water as their supplier. Roberts Tunnel.

caribbean20

Reaction score
OK, granted, we’ve got a couple of tunnels (so I guess we are going to split hairs here), but the Colorado River, for which most here are concerned, starts at Shadow Mountain Reservoir, below Grand Lake. Most people consider that to be the Colorado River HEADWATERS, and that water most definitely heads west and south. However, did learn something new, I was unaware of those tunnels.

No matter what, it’s a good snowpack year for Powell, Mead and the River.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Nope, everything on that map heads east. The Colorado will be nothing more than a trickle this summer. Sorry fellas, i know it sucks. Dont fear however i will do my best to keep you posted on the Powell conditions and let y'all know if things improve. 😁

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Nope, everything on that map heads east. The Colorado will be nothing more than a trickle this summer. Sorry fellas, i know it sucks. Dont fear however i will do my best to keep you posted on the Powell conditions and let y'all know if things improve. 😁
Haven't you heard, they're emptying Powell into Mead this year. So sorry.😄

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
That is great!

We are only at about 75% of the average pack here in the Flathead drainage. :(

rrrr

Reaction score
262 inches of snow this winter at Santa fe ski area so far this year.
Rio Grande will be overflowing which is great news because it feeds into Elephant Butte lake...
Finally a good year. Nice.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
OK, granted, we’ve got a couple of tunnels (so I guess we are going to split hairs here), but the Colorado River, for which most here are concerned, starts at Shadow Mountain Reservoir, below Grand Lake. Most people consider that to be the Colorado River HEADWATERS, and that water most definitely heads west and south. However, did learn something new, I was unaware of those tunnels.

No matter what, it’s a good snowpack year for Powell, Mead and the River.

And if you've never been to those lakes up there, you're missing out!

It's an amazing part of the country.

It's kinna like the Florida Keys. It's a must see for anyone that's a boater.

👍🏼👍🏼