WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help, My Tuna Salad is Tired

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Big fan of tuna salad sandwiches . . . but my concoction is kinda boring & needs an upgrade.
Here's what I do . . .

- 1 large can of Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna (Drained)
- Mix / Break up chunks in medium size bowl.
-Spinkle in a few dashes of pepper.
-Add 3-4 stalks of finely chopped celery
-Mix in a couple big tablespoons of mayo (not too much to avoid mushy-ness)
- Add in a few 'fork-fulls' of relish (to taste)
- Lastly I hard boil 2 eggs, chop them up and stir them in last.

I cover the bowl & in the fridge to chill & call it good.

It's fine . . . but doesn't really do all that much for me. The celery adds a nice crunch, but outside of that it's kinda boring.

Anyone here willing to share any ingredients, techniques etc. that kind puts a little oomph in their tuna salad?

Thanks.

badgas

Reaction score
Try it once without the celery and eggs.

My go to is Good albacore drainded/ pressed really well. Mayo you your liking. Fresh chopped good dill pickes ( better than jarred relish ) and some pickle juice, lemon juice to taste , fresh cracked black pepper & salt to taste, little bit of dijon mustard.

If you like onions some fresh diced green onions not too many

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks you guys, I'm gonna try that next time . . . I just made this one for my Dad.

My same recipe w/ a light skim of mayo on the bread, then some lettuce, thin slices of tomato, then the salad, followed by a 1/2 avocado sliced long ways & embedded in the salad.
It's healthier for him than the Burger, Fries, Coke he'd eat daily if I wasn't around messing-up his program ! LOL

IMG_1882.jpeg

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Yours is similar to mine, I add sweet pickles instead of relish, some diced black olives and some mustard. If I do egg, it's only one.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Hard no on the relish here. I will occasionally add klausen dill thin slice and tomato on the sandwich.
Salt! Don’t have to taste it just add some.
Sometimes just a pinch of cayenne. If you taste it it’s too much.Makes your mouth water.
Lemon!
Garlic, less is more.
Negative on the celery, but doesn’t sound to bad, I’ll try it.
Finely chopped onion, red, yellow , green, I prefer red or green, a must.
And my secret”hmm what’s in this?”, radish😉.
Edit; roll in a flour tortilla with Shredded cheese🤔

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yours is similar to mine, I add sweet pickles instead of relish, some diced black olives and some mustard. If I do egg, it's only one.
Good call on the Olives, 👍 I did chopped carrots once that was a no go . . . tried grading carrots, meh, same.
I just remembered I did chopped green apples once, that was good in an odd way.

I gotta step up to chopped dill / sweet pickles . . . the relish is just me being lazy.

Years ago when I'd come home from working in Alaska, I'd bring home a few cases of sockeye salmon that we canned . . . . if you ever get a chance to make a 'Salmon Salad Sandwich' I highly recommend it.

sintax

Reaction score
I add chopped pepperoncini or jalapenos. Medium fresh salsa if it's on hand. Or even green chilies.

Dan'l

This was going to be my suggestion. I really dig it. Sometimes I’ll just only pour in the pepperoncini juice for a little kick.

So the good quality tuna is key, my grandpa and uncle used to be commercial fisherman out of Morro Bay, so I used to always get cases of freshly jared albacore, so I’m super spoiled, but those days are long gone.

For store bought, the best stuff I can find in a can these days seems to be the Genova albacore in oil, has to be the oil! It’s olive oil and is honestly good for you (so they say!)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sweet pickle relish

Mayo

Sirracha

And buy the GOOD tuna. Not the cheap stuff. This makes the biggest difference and the Sirracha spices it up. 👍🏼

dave29

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious, add dill. onions, a little sweet relish in addition to the dill relish and a touch of miracle whip.

lantz

Reaction score
Jicama will add a little crunch, but not a lot of flavor; pickled ginger; avocado chunks of cucumber instead of celery; bacon, nori, cooked spam, crab meat,...lots of options....save a bag of lays potato chips to put on the sammy just before you eat it.

I'm not actually a fan of tuna salad sandwich but my favorite is to use all or a lot of the stuff mentioned in above posts to make a really good slaw, and then blacken what ever fish I am going to put in the sandwich then just break it up a little when it goes on the bread and slap on the slaw. Not convenient for an easy take to work lunch.

now I am hungry

BajaMike

Reaction score
I never use ”sweet pickle anything”! Putting sweet pickle relish on a hot dog or in tuna salad is like putting chocolate syrup on it.
Use dill pickle relish or cut up some dill pickles (not kosher dills or “bread and butter pickles” GROSS!

Add a teaspoon of mustard and half teaspoon of horseradish.

Kfabe

Reaction score
I’ll sometimes throw a little diced jalapeños and apples in with mayo.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Mustard is a must for me. garlic powder, red onion, black pepper. cut up Famous Daves spicy pickle cut up, green olives cut up and salad supreme seasoning. thats my go to Tuna recipe.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Big fan of tuna salad sandwiches . . . but my concoction is kinda boring & needs an upgrade.
Here's what I do . . .

- 1 large can of Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna (Drained)
- Mix / Break up chunks in medium size bowl.
-Spinkle in a few dashes of pepper.
-Add 3-4 stalks of finely chopped celery
-Mix in a couple big tablespoons of mayo (not too much to avoid mushy-ness)
- Add in a few 'fork-fulls' of relish (to taste)
- Lastly I hard boil 2 eggs, chop them up and stir them in last.

I cover the bowl & in the fridge to chill & call it good.

It's fine . . . but doesn't really do all that much for me. The celery adds a nice crunch, but outside of that it's kinda boring.

Anyone here willing to share any ingredients, techniques etc. that kind puts a little oomph in their tuna salad?

Thanks.
Kimchi, make your tuna like you do, top with some kimchi. Adds a little kick, a little crunch and fermented foods like that are great for digestion and gut health.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Of you're ever in the lake forest area by the auto center go to a little place called Peanuts. Spicy tuna is the bomb!!

ltbaney1

Reaction score
ill check that out as well. i tried MR pickle by the Hat a while ago. i was hoping for similair to Lil pickle in costa mesa and was bummed. it was good, just not Lil pickle good.
Of you're ever in the lake forest area by the auto center go to a little place called Peanuts. Spicy tuna is the bomb!!

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I always add some seranos, jalapeños or habaneros with the regular stuff.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
@Desert Whaler Try the tarragon that was mentioned. It is great. The Old Bay sounds good, but has a lot of salt.

You could also try mixing things up with canned salmon, and I also use the tarragon with canned chicken. The chicken will be similar, but with a different taste.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Mustard, red onions and sliced Clauson (sp) dill pickles sliced thin as well and don't forget the lettuce. Extra sharp cheddar cheese. I also buy the thins sliced in bags. Then on top until the bread is close to being soggy Italian dressing.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Jicama will add a little crunch, but not a lot of flavor; pickled ginger; avocado chunks of cucumber instead of celery; bacon, nori, cooked spam, crab meat,...lots of options....save a bag of lays potato chips to put on the sammy just before you eat it.

I'm not actually a fan of tuna salad sandwich but my favorite is to use all or a lot of the stuff mentioned in above posts to make a really good slaw, and then blacken what ever fish I am going to put in the sandwich then just break it up a little when it goes on the bread and slap on the slaw. Not convenient for an easy take to work lunch.

now I am hungry
I added a little fresh ginger. When I taste tested it, I didn't really notice. Then when I had the sandwich, I was thinking, "what is different about this?". It was perfect.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I gotta say, I never thought we'd get so much play outta a tuna salad thread.... must be winter.

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
Here is how I make it at the fire dept.
Costco albacore in water
red onion
sweet pickles
hot pepperoncini and some juice
celery
black olives
mayo
just a quick squirt of mustard