WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HOLY LS7

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
So I'm doing research on an LS7 crate motor I have in my possesion and came across this from a friend today

Attachments

• IMG-8493.jpg
    IMG-8493.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 440

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
You can ask whatever you want for it. Doesn't mean they will get it. The value would be if it had the correct pad stamp for a chevelle or vette.
Were these ever an option? I thought they scrapped ever installing from factory and it was sold as an "off road only" long block?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

bonesfab

Reaction score
Were these ever an option? I thought they scrapped ever installing from factory and it was sold as an "off road only" long block?
The Ls7 never made it into a car from the factory. That engine would need to be disassembled and all clearances checked. Better off with an all aluminum Dart 540 for half that price.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This is a halfway decent article. It's far from complete, but it clearly lays out how the very first LS1 engine came to be.

I have pretty detailed spreadsheet I put together when I worked at JMS that covers the subtle differences between all the different LS configurations.

I think I quit working on it when I was up to line 43? It's been a minute or two.

Cdog

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Did you know they used LS7 454's to start the SR71's? They have a couple of them on display in the museum in Tucson.

The original design was conceived by two Lockheed Skunk Works engineers who had prior race car engine knowledge. In the mid-1970's, the engines of the start carts was changed to Chevrolet LS-7 454's. The Chevrolet big block engines developed 465 horsepower each. Even so, for many years they were still referred to as the Buick's.

In the '80's the AG-330 Start Carts were mothballed and in there place came a Pneumatic Air starting system for the SR-71's. It is true that the start carts were hard to maneuver around. Logistically, a recovery of a Blackbird at another base could be done easier with Pneumatic Air. Garrett Air Research installed the Pneumatic Air starting system in each of the hangers at Beale AFB to accommodate the SR-71 engine starts. The launches were never quite the same without the Buick's or the 454's.

Credit should be given to those people that maintained the AG-330's in the 9th SRW Aerospace Ground Support Section. Along with maintaining all support equipment, they took great pride in maintaining the Start Carts tuned and in tip top condition. A job well done.

ag330_start_cart.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have a high Nickle notched block from my flat. To bad it was decked. Still worth a chunk. Who built those jet starters?- Arlan Kurtis

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Pretty cool. Did you know they used LS7 454's to start the SR71's? They have a couple of them on display in the museum in Tucson.

The original design was conceived by two Lockheed Skunk Works engineers who had prior race car engine knowledge. In the mid-1970's, the engines of the start carts was changed to Chevrolet LS-7 454's. The Chevrolet big block engines developed 465 horsepower each. Even so, for many years they were still referred to as the Buick's.

In the '80's the AG-330 Start Carts were mothballed and in there place came a Pneumatic Air starting system for the SR-71's. It is true that the start carts were hard to maneuver around. Logistically, a recovery of a Blackbird at another base could be done easier with Pneumatic Air. Garrett Air Research installed the Pneumatic Air starting system in each of the hangers at Beale AFB to accommodate the SR-71 engine starts. The launches were never quite the same without the Buick's or the 454's.

Credit should be given to those people that maintained the AG-330's in the 9th SRW Aerospace Ground Support Section. Along with maintaining all support equipment, they took great pride in maintaining the Start Carts tuned and in tip top condition. A job well done.

ag330_start_cart.jpg
They killed EVERY available Buick block in America for those starter's. The Air Force pillaged every junk yard and parts suppliers across the US before swapping to the 454

Cdog

Reaction score
They killed EVERY available Buick block in America for those starter's. The Air Force pillaged every junk yard and parts suppliers across the US before swapping to the 454
Better off with the Ls7 anyway. The king of rat engines

poncho

Reaction score
I have a high Nickle notched block from my flat. To bad it was decked. Still worth a chunk. Who built those jet starters?- Arlan Kurtis
Thats what's in my flat, the last machinist couldn't understand why I wanted to save it so bad, plus nostalgic reasons.

DUN

Reaction score
I've got one in my flat. Purchased new in the early 80's ran a season or two, sat for a decade in a half, ran for another season or two, sat for another decade or two, and then I bought the boat. Fired it up the first time and antifreeze came out the side of the boat so felt pretty good about it. The thing screams but I feel guilty about every pass. Even more so after seeing this thread..

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

ag330_start_cart.jpg
Awesome trivia , RDPs brain trust never disappoints :cool: