WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much do you spend at the grocery store?

McKay

Reaction score
Wife does all the shopping but at least $2500 a month. We eat well and love meat. We eat a lot of game also, I butchered 6 deer in the last 3 weeks and we eat 300-350 ducks a year as well. She likes Costco. Usually one booze run a year around $4-5k. But we do have a lot of guests come once or twice a week that put a dent in the alcohol.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call it a boutique store. It's a Raley's. I don't know if you guys have those.

I miss Raley's.

I spend about $200/week for two of us and we eat out about 3-4 times a week including breakfasts and dinners. About once every 2 weeks I go to the local butcher (when we are in Montana) and spend about $100-$150 on beef and the local health food store to buy $50 grassfed/organic cheese and some local veggies. So I guess that totals about $1250/mo. Just the two of us, but we have a lot of guests when we are at home. Keep in mind, I am picky about food and buy all organic veggies and many organic and/or nonGMO products. I also do not purchase very much processed food. I skip the frozen aisle completely.

In Montana, I hit Costco about once a month for $300-$400, but we don't go out to eat as often as we do in Havasu. So it's a wash.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
500-800+ a week easy with no booze. Mostly Costco with traders and staters mixed in.

2 adults 2 kids plus a constant stream of grandparents and whatever kids my kids bring home.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Grads you need to dump Raleys.
Wife handles the shopping and is extremely aware of prices. There is a Raleys in our area and it is the most expensive chain place in town to shop, per her. She hits two or 3 different stores for products priced best and or that we like. She says we spend about 800 per month, almost no booze of any kind. We buy or beef and pork from private sources and save a few bucks but get product that is far and away better than any chain store meat counter.
Get that electric hoopty of yours charged up all the way and go try some other stores, or pay for the short trip.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Would it really matter? You know as well as I do.
He will always come back. Like herpes. 🤣

This reminded me of a cartoon I saw many years ago at Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation in the late 80s.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Used to spend around $100 per week for basics, ground beef, chicken, maybe some bacon. Now it’s about $140.00🤨. Husband buys the beer & tequila ☺️. We go to Costco maybe every 2-3 months for cleaning products, maybe some snack stuff & spend under $150. Definitely costs more now than 2-3 years ago😡

78Southwind

Reaction score
Since I use Apple Pay I was able to go back and add up the year. I averaged it out for 12 months and it came to $2845 a month. Looking back and seeing what other people are spending, that is ludicrous.
We (the two of us) mostly eat out, but during covid (2021) we tried one of those box deals for 4 dinners and 4 lunches a week (16 meals). It was around $111 a week for the both of us. That's about $500 a month but that was with a 15% discount they gave us through my health insurance company. We probably spent another $500 a month on breakfast, snacks and drinks from Sprouts, Albertsons, Sam's Club, Costco and Walmart. The other three days a week we ate out.

For a short period of time (2023), I re-started the program but just for one person, me. I got meals for three days a week for two meals a day. It was around $61 a week for just me. I still got the 15% discount. So it was basically $265 a month and $500 for a month for the other stores. But that is less one person and less one day so to compare on a meal basis for just the box deals it would be $6.94 a meal in 2021 and $10.17 a meal in 2023. FJB...

With Joe Biden in office and my chick living at my river house finishing up her degree, I decided to just throw out the budget and eat out every night... did I mention FJB.

I think I might try Green Chef, or find something a little more healthy.

Last edited:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
We (the two of us) mostly eat out, but during covid (2021) we tried one of those box deals for 4 dinners and 4 lunches a week (16 meals). It was around $111 a week for the both of us. That's about $500 a month but that was with a 15% discount they gave us through my health insurance company. We probably spent another $500 a month on breakfast, snacks and drinks from Sprouts, Albertsons, Sam's Club, Costco and Walmart. The other three days a week we ate out.

For a short period of time (2023), I re-started the program but just for one person, me. I got meals for three days a week for two meals a day. It was around $61 a week for just me. I still got the 15% discount. So it was basically $265 a month and $500 for a month for the other stores. But that is less one person and less one day so to compare on a meal basis for just the box deals it would be $6.94 a meal in 2021 and $10.17 a meal in 2023. FJB...

With Joe Biden in office and my chick living at my river house finishing up her degree, I decided to just throw out the budget and eat out every night... did I mention FJB.

I think I might try Green Chef, or find something a little more healthy.
Got a link for this box deal? Definitely peeked my curiosity.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
$100-150 weekly, depends on household goods(toilet paper,soap).
Definitely see a cost increase...FJB

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I have absolutely no remorse or concern for some idiot who includes the purchase of rather fine wines in their cost of groceries. He's either bragging, fishing or maybe both. I think about the young family with a couple of kids. The cost of the very basic items - peanut butter, bread, breakfast cereals etc have increased considerably. Those are the people I worry about. Not some idiot talking about fine wines and expensive cuts of meat. I really don't care where or how he shops for groceries and wine.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Grads you need to dump Raleys.
Wife handles the shopping and is extremely aware of prices. There is a Raleys in our area and it is the most expensive chain place in town to shop, per her. She hits two or 3 different stores for products priced best and or that we like. She says we spend about 800 per month, almost no booze of any kind. We buy or beef and pork from private sources and save a few bucks but get product that is far and away better than any chain store meat counter.
Get that electric hoopty of yours charged up all the way and go try some other stores, or pay for the short trip.

No clue what Raleys is, but I saved a shit ton of money NOT shopping at Vons or Albertsons anymore. Their prices are ridiculous!!!

Stator Brothers for most everything now. I'll hamburger and meatloaf mix here, but that's it.

Costco for a lot of other stuff, but I Always end up buying shit I don't Really need. I also buy all of my alcohol here.

The local butcher shop for Good cuts of meat. Yum.

And then Whole Foods for specialty stuff. It's Very expensive, but I get a solid discount with my Amazon Prime CC.

I also did Hello Fresh for awhile. It gets you in the rhythm of Actually cooking, and not just eating store bought fast food!

Once you get in that habit...

Get a membership to a Real place to learn how to cook:

Best money I've ever spent. 👍🏼

dribble

Reaction score
I miss Raley's.

I spend about $200/week for two of us and we eat out about 3-4 times a week including breakfasts and dinners. About once every 2 weeks I go to the local butcher (when we are in Montana) and spend about $100-$150 on beef and the local health food store to buy $50 grassfed/organic cheese and some local veggies. So I guess that totals about $1250/mo. Just the two of us, but we have a lot of guests when we are at home. Keep in mind, I am picky about food and buy all organic veggies and many organic and/or nonGMO products. I also do not purchase very much processed food. I skip the frozen aisle completely.

In Montana, I hit Costco about once a month for $300-$400, but we don't go out to eat as often as we do in Havasu. So it's a wash.
Raleys has surpassed Nugget in pricing. Their meat and produce are sometimes reasonably priced. Everything else is often double what you pay for the same items at Winco or Walmart. I estimate that I save 50 or more dollars in a typical shopping trip by driving five more miles to Winco. Ie. A can of refried beans is $2.79 at Raleys and $1.25 at Winco.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Raleys has surpassed Nugget in pricing. Their meat and produce are sometimes reasonably priced. Everything else is often double what you pay for the same items at Winco or Walmart. I estimate that I save 50 or more dollars in a typical shopping trip by driving five more miles to Winco. Ie. A can of refried beans is $2.79 at Raleys and $1.25 at Winco.

We went and checked out a Winco when in Washington this summer...

I was dumbfounded at their low prices.

The weather tax is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

There’s a lot of Winco’s in So Cal. Closest one to you would probably be Pomona. Yes on their low prices.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I will say the one thing I really like about Raley's is they unload your cart for you, scan the groceries, bag them for you and will help you out to car if you'd like.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Fixed income will do that to you 😁

4Waters

Reaction score
No clue what Raleys is, but I saved a shit ton of money NOT shopping at Vons or Albertsons anymore. Their prices are ridiculous!!!

Stator Brothers for most everything now. I'll hamburger and meatloaf mix here, but that's it.

Costco for a lot of other stuff, but I Always end up buying shit I don't Really need. I also buy all of my alcohol here.

The local butcher shop for Good cuts of meat. Yum.

And then Whole Foods for specialty stuff. It's Very expensive, but I get a solid discount with my Amazon Prime CC.

I also did Hello Fresh for awhile. It gets you in the rhythm of Actually cooking, and not just eating store bought fast food!

Once you get in that habit...

Get a membership to a Real place to learn how to cook:

Best money I've ever spent. 👍🏼
Vons is better than Ralph's in pricing, our only Albertsons is on the other side of town with Stater Bros, Vons is a half mile away. Stater Bros will be opening up the street in the next few months, they just started converting an old Bed, Bath and Beyond store.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
The Winco in Eureka is like going to the shitty neighborhood in a 3rd world country. Makes Wal Mart look like a 5 start establishment.

rules of Eureka Winco
1. Don't take your kids
2. Don't go after dark
3. Don't go alone if you're a woman
4. Don't take a nice vehicle
5. Don't go, It's not worth it,,,

78Southwind

Reaction score
I will say the one thing I really like about Raley's is they unload your cart for you, scan the groceries, bag them for you and will help you out to car if you'd like.

Did you get your free Hello Fresh or Green Chef box I put in the link? @GRADS

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
IMG_5898.png

samsah33

Reaction score
2 adults, 2 teen daughters. Spend about $250 per week at Walmart for groceries. That's up from about $150 per week pre-covid, but that's not apples to apples since the kids' diets have changed since pre-COVID. One place that I do notice it is at restaurants, but my kids have changed since pre-covid when they were ordering from the kids menu, but now they order from the adult menu - I guess I'll need to start ordering from the senior menu to help control costs...

hallett21

Reaction score
If you have a Trader Joe’s you can keep your costs down. Full cart of groceries for $120-150. The same at Albertsons etc would probably be $200+.

Wife me and toddler are at about $800-$1000 a month including booze.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you have a Trader Joe’s you can keep your costs down. Full cart of groceries for $120-150. The same at Albertsons etc would probably be $200+.

Wife me and toddler are at about $800-$1000 a month including booze.

Fuck me running. 😂 Keep my wife out of TJs. I'm glad there aren't any nearby anymore. It is all too small of portions for a family of 4, so you have to by extra and there goes any savings.

If you can keep it to produce, yea you can save a few bucks for sure.

Meaney77

Reaction score
During Covid, my wife started using the Wall Mart Grocery shopping app/service, which was free of charge she still uses it and swears by it. She can avoid having to walk through the store with kids buying crap you dont need. She updates her list each week and the schedules a time for grocery pick up. You arrive, they load your stuff in your car and your done.

She always compares Albertsons' pricing to Walmart and sees that there is a significant savings.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

I don’t know what Nugget is. But I do know that Walmart and Winco do not carry a lot of the things I like to purchase, specifically organic produce and gourmet items like horseradish mustard, quality Parmesan cheese, or high quality oils and vinegars. Raley’s also has an incredible wine and top shelf liquor selection. Sadly, I struggle with this in Havasu also. Wine is sufficient, but lacking in a lot of other areas. I make due 😊

But yes, I miss Raley’s.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
After nearly 20 years in the grocery industry, I appreciate that also. At Winco I have to unload the cart, bag my stuff, pay, and reload the cart. What do the employees do?? I’m not a fan. At all.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
After nearly 20 years in the grocery industry, I appreciate that also. At Winco I have to unload the cart, bag my stuff, pay, and reload the cart. What do the employees do?? I’m not a fan. At all.

That’s why the prices are higher.. just like full serve vs. self serve gas. You just pay the higher grocery prices if you use the service or not.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
been using Amazon Fresh, prices are competitive, delivered in paper bags to your front door. Any issue, very seldom, refunded.

78Southwind

Reaction score
been using Amazon Fresh, prices are competitive, delivered in paper bags to your front door. Any issue, very seldom, refunded.
I used to use Amazon Fresh back in 2015/2016 after my accident. I liked it but they discontinued service in my area the next year. I have been using Walmart + for the last year. You get paramount + for free. I like Amazon Fresh better.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We are still a small town, and the closest Trader Joes or Winco or otherwise cool place like that is 50 miles down in the city, and frankly...I hate the city.
So does Mrs FBT.
We have had a Sams Club account for 20 yrs ish, there is one about 35 miles down the road. When the boys lived at home we would hit it about 4 times a year, now it is down to a couple, or if we are "off the hill" for some other reason. During the big scamdemic we started using the online Sams and use it almost exclusively now for certain things.
Our younger son has a Costco membership and uses it a few times a year as well, but he is a single father with full custody of 2 little ones, and a more than full time job. He was taught well by Mrs FBT how to shop and make his buck stretch.
As the dollar continues to shrink in value I suspect more people will be hitting the discount grocery stores.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What did you think about the Green Chef compared to the Hello Fresh?

I tried em all...

They are all more or less the same. I think Hello Fresh was the best of the bunch.

America's Test Kitchen beats em all by leaps and bounds.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

As much as I also wanna laugh at this..

Im old enough to remember when this was standard operating procedure at Every grocery store.

Back when every gas station was a full service station, and people were happy to help you.

Yeah, those days are long gone. 😞