WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Icon Leveling Kit

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
Does anyone here on the boards have an icon leveling kit on their GM 2500 Duramax? Mine is a '19 so the 2011 and newer crown would help the most.....
I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out if I want a lift or a level.
The cheap key replacement and shock extension kits are not what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering if anyone has the icon kit specifically and if you can give any feedback as to how it rides compared to stock and what tire and wheel setup you are running and all of that.

It will either be an icon level with some tie rod and other steering goodies, or it will be a CST or BDS 4" lift.
I'm just not looking to lift it very high and a level kit is where I'd like to be IF the feedback is good. Some shops have told me they don't care how pricey the kit is or what kind of shock is under the wheel well, a level kit is not the way to go.......so idk

Thanks

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Icon has great stuff. Have never heard of a complaint about them and the vehicles I've ridden with them have been awesome.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I run Icon DeltaJoint UCA’s and am very happy with them [emoji106]

Icon wants a premium for their shocks, and they won’t even service their own shocks.

IMHO your money is better spent on King or Fox shocks. They’re both proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score

Icon wants a premium for their shocks, and they won’t even service their own shocks.

I did have a shop tell me that their customer service can be difficult. That is sort of a bummer to hear.
I appreciate the input........keep it coming if anyone else has any experience with them.
Thanks!

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
DO NOT do the Bilstein 5100 series “leveling” shock (if it even applies for your application). It pretty much ruined how nice my truck use to ride (F 150) and made it feel like a 79 straight axel.

Bummed I spent the money and didn’t just go with something nicer.

I did have a shop tell me that their customer service can be difficult. That is sort of a bummer to hear.
I appreciate the input........keep it coming if anyone else has any experience with them.
Thanks!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Keys, Cognito or Kryptonite Uca's with Bilstein 5100's or Fox 2.0's if you see more trail duty.

Depending on mileage all new steering components as well.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
DO NOT do the Bilstein 5100 series “leveling” shock (if it even applies for your application). It pretty much ruined how nice my truck use to ride (F 150) and made it feel like a 79 straight axel.

Coil over shock 5100's ride crappy because of the spring pre-load. I like to run them at stock height with a top or under spacer. Achieves leveled stance and ride is great.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Icon has great stuff. Have never heard of a complaint about them and the vehicles I've ridden with them have been awesome.

I will echo the combination of these. I've never heard a complain about ICON regarding the quality or performance, only about the post sale support.

Honestly, that was likely do to the control arms being too close to the drop stops. You have to have so much droop for the ride to be comfortable at all. The Bilstein 5100 series shock is actually a very nice replacement shock

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I will echo the combination of these. I've never heard a complain about ICON regarding the quality or performance, only about the post sale support.Honestly, that was likely do to the control arms being too close to the drop stops. You have to have so much droop for the ride to be comfortable at all. The Bilstein 5100 series shock is actually a very nice replacement shock

He is talking about in a coil over shock application. When you run them on the highest setting 1.8 inches for Ford or Chevy the ride is very harsh. Plenty of room between the service perch and uca.

Flippindough

Reaction score
I did the 4-6 in cognito lift set at 4in with 22's on 35s. Rides better than stock and never replaced a front end part in 55k miles. A "leveling kit" will not truly level a 2011-2019 duramax.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Here’s my experience with shock vs. ride quality in a 3/4 ton Ram CTD...I had all of them, on Carli soft-ride progressive Springs/Deaver full leaf pack, and replaced them in the order shown...in search of a better ride.

Bilstein 5100
Bilstein 7100
King 2.0” Commuter King’s w/Carli valving
King 2.5” w/Carli valving
King 3.0” w/Carli valving (these were in a buddy’s identical truck, not on mine)

The difference between 2.5 and 3.0 King’s was smaller than the difference between any of the others. The 2.5 Kings were MILES better than any of the lesser shocks.

My truck was a guinea pig for Carli’s commuter King valving.

On the Bilsteins and commuter Kings, I cooked the seals on high-speed fire roads. These shocks are for light off-roading only.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Screw the leveling kit!
IMG_7634.jpg

Dalton

Reaction score
Honestly, that was likely do to the control arms being too close to the drop stops. You have to have so much droop for the ride to be comfortable at all. The Bilstein 5100 series shock is actually a very nice replacement shock

ive put 5100's on 2 different trundras, great shock, I run mine on the second to highest perch for my 4 door tundra and rides perfect.

450grip

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 duramax with the ICON stage 2 kit(front and rear). i'm very happy with it, it took out the body roll, and leveled the truck perfectly. I'd do it again in an instant.

Last edited:

c_land

Reaction score
We have a 2015 2500HD with the 2" Stage 2 Icon Kit. 17" wheels and 33" tires. It rides awesome and much better than stock. Would buy the kit again in a second.

hawgty55

Reaction score
nice kit, but that's a completely different front end
IMG_7635.jpg
guess it wasnt good enough.
Yes as i didn't right. This is obviously a Ford. I have the upper control arms from icon on my SuperCrew and that Raptor pictured had the leveling kit or adjustments on it before it's getting its overhaul great company. I know it has nothing to do with your current truck but they do work and ride great on the Fords
IMG956383(1).jpg

Billygoat

Reaction score
Thanks!
I purchased a level kit for my truck. Upon arriving one shock had a bad seal and needed to be replaced. Took almost three weeks of going back and forth with Icon before they would mail a replacement shock. IMO that’s ridiculous.

c_land

Reaction score
Do you happen to have any pictures of the truck without a trailer and load on the rear end? just to get an idea of how it sits....

No i don't. We did a drop shackle and it sits perfectly level when unloaded.