WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for input

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
After the trip this weekend as a "proof of concept" that going to the lake with our infant can still be fun, I think the wife and I are finally closing in on getting a new boat within a year or so and looking for some input.

My plan is to narrow down a list of a few boats that meet our needs to allow me to be a more discerning buyer on condition, instead of saying we have to have ______ boat with ______ powerplant where we feel like we have to buy the first example that we find. Does this strategy make sense? To be clear, this is not a WTB thread in the lounge, we are very early in this process and I want to start doing my due diligence to figure out what is out there, what pricing is realistic etc etc. I over-analyze the hell out of my purchases :)

We would be looking for something in the 23'-25' range, $40-$50k, open bow, rough water capable, turn key reliable engine/drive package so probably mercury big block of some sort with bravo drive. Are there any of those engine packages that I should steer away from? I feel like I've read on here that older HP500 blue motors have relatively short maintenance cycles for valve adjustments?

With the open bow requirement, does anyone have insight on ballpark costs of what it would take to convert a closed bow to open or should I not even consider that path?

Here's the boats that are currently on the short list, any that shouldn't be on the list? This list prioritizes practicality of usage and rough water capability instead of outright performance, I understand that I won't set any speed records here.
  • Hallett 240
  • Shockwave Tremor
  • Lavey 24 Nuera
  • Howard 22 Offshore
  • Ultimate/Warlock 23
Other's that are a "maybe" in my head below:
  • Nordic Rage - Not sure about the build quality of the late 90's/early 2000's examples that are in my budget.
  • Cole 250s - Potentially hard to find, read a thread that they aren't the best in rough water? Love the looks/style of these so would love to add it to the list
  • Eliminator eagle 230/236/250 - don't know enough about these hulls
  • Cobra Razor 230
  • Cobra Razor 260 - on paper longer than I want, but I think Cobra includes swimstep in measurement so this may be about the same size as Lavey 24?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not much to add, as your list has anything I'd suggest (but I really don't know squat about boats). Having had little ones on boats ranging from all different types, I think you should also think about how long you'll keep the boat. The layout that is perfect right now, may not feel the same when the youngster is older. There is also the occasion that another comes along:oops:...and stuff gets real, real quick🤣

Also, according to my wife, an increase in children is not a linear increase in space or prep...somehow it goes exponential on kid 3...

NicPaus

Reaction score
Cobra 260 is 26'11" if I recall. Bigger than a lavey 24. Bigger than a eliminator 26'.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Cobra 260 is 26'11" if I recall. Bigger than a lavey 24. Bigger than a eliminator 26'.

Yes.

@ArizonaKevin you and your wife are both tall, but ingress and egress off the front of a Cobra 260 open bow will be extra work and a stool/ladder will be needed. Also the swimstep is about a foot off the water.

Just a couple details to be aware of.

I think you have a good list going.

Food for thought -

A guy I just talked to 3 weeks ago just had his 24’ Lavey converted from
MCOB to walkthrough. That was his first trip with it. Martinez did the work in So Cal. It was under $7k for the conversion.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Yes.

@ArizonaKevin you and your wife are both tall, but ingress and egress off the front of a Cobra 260 open bow will be extra work and a stool/ladder will be needed. Also the swimstep is about a foot off the water.

Just a couple details to be aware of.

I think you have a good list going.

Food for thought -

A guy I just talked to 3 weeks ago just had his 24’ Lavey converted from
MCOB to walkthrough. That was his first trip with it. Martinez did the work in So Cal. It was under $7k for the conversion.

Good callout, the 260 Razor is bigger than I thought and probably off the list for now.

Did that MCOB to walkthrough conversion for $7k also include new interior? More than I expected to just cut the top out of a mid cabin.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
We had an Eliminator Eagle 230 for a few years, it’s a great boat for your needs if you can find an open bow walk through.

Does decent in the rough (we used it on Arrowhead). The great part we liked was it was a real nice open layout, easy to get to everything and the boat was small enough that it wasn’t a lot to maintain and it was easy to get in and out of.

I have a 26 Eagle open bow walk through which is better in every way except it’s a bigger boat to maintain, trailer, etc. I did wind up putting an addition swim platform off the back to get people away from the I/O when going in or out of the water.

The Eliminator 236 is I believe the same boat as the 26 but without the Euro swim platform stern (just flat like the old school boats, you need your own swim step). This depends what you like, but with the 236 the exhaust and drive are right there off the back.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My ultra 23xs does great for a family boat (same mold as the cobra) with trim tabs it will do great even on the busiest weekends. I have a 496 but wouldn’t hesitate with a small block too. Cruise at 40-50 mph easy to get on and off shore and floating.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We had an Eliminator Eagle 230 for a few years, it’s a great boat for your needs if you can find an open bow walk through.

Does decent in the rough (we used it on Arrowhead). The great part we liked was it was a real nice open layout, easy to get to everything and the boat was small enough that it wasn’t a lot to maintain and it was easy to get in and out of.

I have a 26 Eagle open bow walk through which is better in every way except it’s a bigger boat to maintain, trailer, etc. I did wind up putting an addition swim platform off the back to get people away from the I/O when going in or out of the water.

The Eliminator 236 is I believe the same boat as the 26 but without the Euro swim platform stern (just flat like the old school boats, you need your own swim step). This depends what you like, but with the 236 the exhaust and drive are right there off the back.
Not to be picky, but a 236 has the same bottom as the 25', 26 is a little bigger with a different helm design.

240Hallett

Reaction score
You mentioned the 240Hallett which brings up another aspect of your criteria. How old are you willing to go in regards to hull design and technology? Carburetors?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Yep, ok. I wasn’t sure whether it was the 25 or 26, so I guessed. thanks for confirming the 25.
Isn't your 26 the one with big Teague power?

You mentioned the 240Hallett which brings up another aspect of your criteria. How old are you willing to go in regards to hull design and technology? Carburetors?
I would say ideally not older than me (1994) and okay with carbs, would prefer injection because we try to do a powell trip every year

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good callout, the 260 Razor is bigger than I thought and probably off the list for now.

Did that MCOB to walkthrough conversion for $7k also include new interior? More than I expected to just cut the top out of a mid cabin.

This conversion was just an interior match, not a redo. They did a excellent job with the match. I would not have guessed it was not a factory walk through.

That said.. $7k on top of a new to you boat is a lot to chew on.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
After the trip this weekend as a "proof of concept" that going to the lake with our infant can still be fun, I think the wife and I are finally closing in on getting a new boat within a year or so and looking for some input.

My plan is to narrow down a list of a few boats that meet our needs to allow me to be a more discerning buyer on condition, instead of saying we have to have ______ boat with ______ powerplant where we feel like we have to buy the first example that we find. Does this strategy make sense? To be clear, this is not a WTB thread in the lounge, we are very early in this process and I want to start doing my due diligence to figure out what is out there, what pricing is realistic etc etc. I over-analyze the hell out of my purchases :)

We would be looking for something in the 23'-25' range, $40-$50k, open bow, rough water capable, turn key reliable engine/drive package so probably mercury big block of some sort with bravo drive. Are there any of those engine packages that I should steer away from? I feel like I've read on here that older HP500 blue motors have relatively short maintenance cycles for valve adjustments?

With the open bow requirement, does anyone have insight on ballpark costs of what it would take to convert a closed bow to open or should I not even consider that path?

Here's the boats that are currently on the short list, any that shouldn't be on the list? This list prioritizes practicality of usage and rough water capability instead of outright performance, I understand that I won't set any speed records here.
  • Hallett 240
  • Shockwave Tremor
  • Lavey 24 Nuera
  • Howard 22 Offshore
  • Ultimate/Warlock 23
  • Nordic Rage - Not sure about the build quality of the late 90's/early 2000's examples that are in my budget.
  • Cole 250s - Potentially hard to find, read a thread that they aren't the best in rough water? Love the looks/style of these so would love to add it to the list
  • Cobra Razor 230
  • Cobra Razor 260 - on paper longer than I want, but I think Cobra includes swimstep in measurement so this may be about the same size as Lavey 24?
Just got back from 4 days on the lake with our 4 month old and 2.5 YO. Was a lot of fun but a lot of work too. Smaller boat would be easier on everyone so I think you’re on the right track with your size range and selection.

IMG_3971.jpeg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Isn't your 26 the one with big Teague power?

I would say ideally not older than me (1994) and okay with carbs, would prefer injection because we try to do a powell trip every year
I wouldn’t call a TCM 985 big power today (it’s now a 10 year old boat). It’s overkill for Arrowhead but I’m hoping to put it back on Havasu some day (which was the original use for it). It handled Havasu pretty well but Havasu can produce some washing machine conditions it can struggle with (if you had to be out in it). We have a 30 Eagle in Havasu now and that is honestly the perfect boat for any conditions.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’d add Howard Bullet 25/28. Not sure if you’d find one in the price range but hey why not lol.

Just be ready for 5-10k worth of issues in year one with whatever you buy.

Edit. I wouldn’t leave a 210 open bow Hallett out. Especially if moms dealing with kids and you need to move the boat around on your own.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
List looks pretty good.

As you narrow your list down, I would hold out for what you want, and not settle.

FB seems to have most of the listings nowadays- CL/ OfferUp a distant second.

You will see the same overpriced stuff listed over and over. The well priced stuff moves quickly- so be ready to jump, and expect to travel to SoCal or Havasu for the best selection of boats.

I would consider Merc power mandatory for resale purposes, and to reduce maintenance headaches. The 454/502 Mag motors are a bit simpler/ easier to work on than the 496 platform. Many Merc Black motors will go 1000 hours+ if taken care of and not abused.

I would not shy away from Blue engines but expect them to need a top end at 300ish hours if not done and documented.

I would not buy a closed bow with the intent of opening it up, you will usually end up spending more than just buying the open bow in the first place.

Halletts hold their value well and are easy to sell compared to some others.

I have a 24 Lavey MCOB with 454 Mag MPI. it is also available in walk through but I wanted the mid-cabin. For a larger guy, getting in and out of the mid cabin will be a little tight. I don’t mind it but I’m a short guy. I wanted somewhere to go in the shade and to hide from inclement weather. I can check the engine codes with a paper clip and LED light, and the EFI is a simple old school Chevy based setup that is easy to diagnose and repair.

Don’t be afraid of something that needs some love- that’s where the deals are- but I would avoid a basket case that needs motor work or interior replacement. That being said, some elbow grease can make a huge difference.

I would start shopping end of summer, and the best deals usually start to show up after Christmas.

Hold out for what you and the family really want and don’t settle, if you (or the Mrs.) don’t really like the boat you will just end up selling it and starting the process all over again, been there done that- twice.

I am in the Valley if you ever want to meet at Pleasant to get a feel for the size, ride, etc.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
@ArizonaKevin

Something else to look for in your search. Open bows that are designed with a specific open bow mold are more desirable than the closed bow models that a builder simply saws open and drops in a floor and furniture.

For example, open bow models built with an open bow mold have fiberglass molded floors and bulkhead sides and typically molded in benches for the open bow seating. This is far more desirable than a builder converting a closed bow model to open bow because they typically use epoxy coated marine plywood to construct a floor, bulkheads and other structure for the furniture. This can be a source of wood rot, soft floors, and other issues to be aware of.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
The Hallett 210, 240, 255 I think would be perfect for what your needing. They offer so much more room than any other boat in its class. The problem with any of boats on your list is finding one in the price range your wanting with maybe the exception of the warlock or the 210.
Good luck on your search

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I would love a 210, but the wife saw a couple in the water over the weekend and said they were too low to the water

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
25' for Powell is great. I have a eliminator eagle 250, and i boat exclusively there. 454 carbed motor honestly it could be tuned but really your adjustment threshold is at 4000' so what ever your tune for the river it should ok for Powell.

Father in law has a 22' advantage citation and thats a great boat as well with 496 h.o. he gets jostled though in the maytag straights but he doesn't have trim tabs.

Trim tabs at Powell are a must especially now with the cut being gone they really help stabilize the boat in rough water.

Another other package to consider is the mercruiser 525 sc blue motor. It was a 454 blower motor only using about 2-3 #s of boost 5#s max. Putting out 525 hp. It was carbureted motor though. Super low maintenance supposedly for a blower motor.

I had to look at that motor again and change it to 525. Bummer is its a 92 octane motor. I swore read up on one mercruiser had back in the day (mid 90s) that was 425 sc black motor. Ran on pump gas and ran for ever without needing top end work. Idk anyway best of luck.

You're list is awesome, just giving you my real world reviews for boats ive been in at Powell.

Last edited:

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I have nothing to add regarding your choice in boats but I did see this Howard the other day while working in Upland. I believe it’s a 22 Offshore.
Unsure if it’s still available

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 142

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have nothing to add regarding your choice in boats but I did see this Howard the other day while working in Upland. I believe it’s a 22 Offshore.
Unsure if it’s still available

Interesting find, at the very least gives me hope that there's something out there in our budget.

I know this sounds super picky, but exhausts above the swimstep with our intended use with young kids doesn't sound like the best idea.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
25' for Powell is great. I have a eliminator eagle 250, and i boat exclusively there. 454 carbed motor honestly it could be tuned but really your adjustment threshold is at 4000' so what ever your tune for the river it should ok for Powell.

Father in law has a 22' advantage citation and thats a great boat as well with 496 h.o. he gets jostled though in the maytag straights but he doesn't have trim tabs.

Trim tabs at Powell are a must especially now with the cut being gone they really help stabilize the boat in rough water.

Another other package to consider is the mercruiser 425 sc non blue motor. It was a 454 blower motor only using about 2-3 #s of boost. Putting out 425 hp. It was carbureted motor though. Super low maintenance supposedly for a blower motor.

You're list is awesome, just giving you my real world reviews for boats ive been in at Powell.
I was going to say tabs are great to help with ride. We have them on our 210. Last weekend i showed our son how using them will improve the ride. it was a little choppy and changing up the tabs made a big improvement.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
When we were looking for our boat, Hallett, Howard, and Lavey were the brands we wanted. I think the Hallett will be harder to find in your price range.

We ended up with a MCOB 24’ Lavey and it has been a great boat. Our son was 4 when we bought it and the cabin was a great place for him to nap out of the sun. It is a little hard to get through for taller people because we have the 80 gallon belly tank.

We have the 496 HO and it has been incredibly reliable. I never have to worry if it’s going to start like I do with our 2 stroke outboard lol.

The Lavey has some aggressive steps and rides more on top of the water versus plowing through it like a Hallett.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I would add the Lavey XCS or XTSki, one with the stepped hull, even though its marketed as a 21, its measures about 23'....great boat, handles well, and could definitely get a clean one in your price range..

Jay Dub

Reaction score

• Hallett 240
  • Shockwave Tremor
  • Lavey 24 Nuera
  • Howard 22 Offshore
  • Ultimate/Warlock 23
  • Cobra Razor 230

I would add the Hallett 210. We have one plus a 255. The 210 is very roomy for its size. Would be perfect for a young family. Plus you will be w/in you budget. good performance with a small block as well.

Shane54

Reaction score
I was browsing Coast Motor Groups' website this morning and found this 2008 Shockwave Tremor.

2Driver

Reaction score
My ultra 23xs does great for a family boat (same mold as the cobra) with trim tabs it will do great even on the busiest weekends. I have a 496 but wouldn’t hesitate with a small block too. Cruise at 40-50 mph easy to get on and off shore and floating.

There’s one in Havasu for sale on Facebook marketplace. Looked pretty good at first pass.

My Ultra Stealth was one of my favorite boats

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but if a name of a boat is gelled in to the transom, can a shop like saleen delete that and put a new name on?

Or are names usually painted on instead of gelled in?

gqchris

Reaction score
I know its not the popular opinion, but being a brand new Dad with a toddler, I absolutely love my Larsen 25' Deck Boat. It can be compared to the Monterrey, Sea Ray, and Ebtide deck boats.

The reasons this works for us right now is that its so roomy, walk off the front, fresh water rinse with tank, sink up top, removable tables, enclosed bathroom with porta putty and a gob of storage. Cruises at 40mph, top of 55mph, and I don't have a coronary if a kid dumps chips out in it.

Yes I know its slightly 🌈, but its hard for me to justify a bad ass performance boat right now!

IMG_5606.JPG

Foscheck

Reaction score
I only seen the painted names. Similar to CF numbers. I've heard Easy Off Oven Cleaner is your friend, but I've never tried it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but if a name of a boat is gelled in to the transom, can a shop like saleen delete that and put a new name on?

They are painted, easy off and go to town. Just re wax area once removed

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I know its not the popular opinion, but being a brand new Dad with a toddler, I absolutely love my Larsen 25' Deck Boat. It can be compared to the Monterrey, Sea Ray, and Ebtide deck boats.

The reasons this works for us right now is that its so roomy, walk off the front, fresh water rinse with tank, sink up top, removable tables, enclosed bathroom with porta putty and a gob of storage. Cruises at 40mph, top of 55mph, and I don't have a coronary if a kid dumps chips out in it.

Yes I know its slightly 🌈, but its hard for me to justify a bad ass performance boat right now!

View attachment 1239360

My parents have a chaparral 232 and have had chaparral deck boats my whole life. Not sure about the other manufacturers, but we get beat to death in rough water in the chaparral. I think it only has 12* dead rise in the hull.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

View attachment 1239360
The above is the most useful boat mentioned so far, for someone with an infant.

I was going to mention several boats along these lines.

Small cabin, head, fresh water, etc.

What I would ad is a double Bimini, since you must have as much shade a possible.

I would also look for enough space for a portable crib to be used, under the shade.

I would then ad a powerpole for easy anchoring. I would ad the easiest boarding ladder on the market, regardless of what it looked like.

Getting a tritoon with outboard opens up deck space. But a boat with head and fresh water, trumps tritoon.

A mist system wouldn’t be out of question either.

I would prioritize function over looks.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My parents have a chaparral 232 and have had chaparral deck boats my whole life. Not sure about the other manufacturers, but we get beat to death in rough water in the chaparral. I think it only has 12* dead rise in the hull.

Got a friend with a Monterey in the size you are looking for. it is a tank and rides pretty nice. It also has trim tabs.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

Like everyone else has said, Easy-Off, but I'd only use the blue can stuff, not the yellow. Also if you remove the name or change it, there's a ceremony you need to perform or it might be bad luck.o_O

gqchris

Reaction score
I dont get that same effect with this boat. But not sure what your definition is of rough vs mine? I used to get beat up in my 25’ cat on the bad days and had no recourse. On this boat I can bow up and let the front take the beating. Lol

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I dont get that same effect with this boat. But not sure what your definition is of rough vs mine? I used to get beat up in my 25’ cat on the bad days and had no recourse. On this boat I can bow up and let the front take the beating. Lol

Yeah we can bow up and plow through stuff in the Chaparral, it just feels like we have to do that in water that other people in the boats that are listed above on my "list" can cut through while staying on plane. My father-in-law has an Ultimate 23' that's on my list, the first time I took a ride in it I was bracing myself for huge impacts from wakes that we were crossing, and it was all very comfortable.

The above is the most useful boat mentioned so far, for someone with an infant.

I was going to mention several boats along these lines.

Small cabin, head, fresh water, etc.

What I would ad is a double Bimini, since you must have as much shade a possible.

I would also look for enough space for a portable crib to be used, under the shade.

I would then ad a powerpole for easy anchoring. I would ad the easiest boarding ladder on the market, regardless of what it looked like.

Getting a tritoon with outboard opens up deck space. But a boat with head and fresh water, trumps tritoon.

A mist system wouldn’t be out of question either.

I would prioritize function over looks.

I certainly don't doubt the practicality of these kinds of boats, but for a few different reasons I'm not looking to purchase them. Firstly, my plan is to have whatever boat we purchase for a while, I try to avoid purchasing something with the intention of selling it a few years later. Secondly, while I do prioritize function over outright performance, there is something to be said for buying something that makes you smile. My perception is that a toon or something similar is like a minivan, they are practical and useful as all hell, but I'm not buying a boat purely on practicality.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yeah we can bow up and plow through stuff in the Chaparral, it just feels like we have to do that in water that other people in the boats that are listed above on my "list" can cut through while staying on plane. My father-in-law has an Ultimate 23' that's on my list, the first time I took a ride in it I was bracing myself for huge impacts from wakes that we were crossing, and it was all very comfortable.

I certainly don't doubt the practicality of these kinds of boats, but for a few different reasons I'm not looking to purchase them. Firstly, my plan is to have whatever boat we purchase for a while, I try to avoid purchasing something with the intention of selling it a few years later. Secondly, while I do prioritize function over outright performance, there is something to be said for buying something that makes you smile. My perception is that a toon or something similar is like a minivan, they are practical and useful as all hell, but I'm not buying a boat purely on practicality.
I totally agree! There is nothing fun about this Mini Van on the water I have. I miss my performance boats every day.😁

My Hallett 240 open bow was the ultimate machine. Miss it every day.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

I’ve seen one gelled on. But it was a mid 80’s eliminators.

All the others were painted on, and a little hand work and rubbing compound takes it off in an hour or two.