WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Music apps, what do you use?

Romans9

Reaction score
So I have Amazon Music and Apple Music and they both suck aids infested donkey cock.

Anything I select they seem to go into repeat after and hour or two.

Is there a way to customize any of them to set preferences differently?

Amazons Idea of classic rock or outlaw country is not the same as mine…….
I know I am missing out on listening to a lot of good music because these two apps always play the same 25-30 songs it seems.
I like a lot of different music and would like to hear different songs from the boring ass same shit over and over.
There is some great newer outlaw music I have heard on other peoples apps but I never get it.

BabyRay

Reaction score
I’ve used Apple, Amazon, Napster and Spotify. They all suck (but Amazon is the worst!).

I’m using Spotify currently, because it sucks less than the others.

With the old Napster app, they used to show artists who influenced the chosen artist, as well as those influenced by the chosen artist. That was a fun option that led down many musical rabbit holes, but they dropped it. Now, I find it difficult to find new music that I like, aside from the few the streaming services push at me.

Not much help, eh.

Icky

Reaction score
I’ve used Apple, Amazon, Napster and Spotify. They all suck (but Amazon is the worst!).

I’m using Spotify currently, because it sucks less than the others.

With the old Napster app, they used to show artists who influenced the chosen artist, as well as those influenced by the chosen artist. That was a fun option that led down many musical rabbit holes, but they dropped it. Now, I find it difficult to find new music that I like, aside from the few the streaming services push at me.

Not much help, eh.
Have you tried running the "DJ" in Spotify? He typically suggests music based on your likes and history.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I use one called Deezer because they use the full audio file and it sounds better on my home stereo.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Spotify today but they need to stop teasing hifi and roll it out. I add 2-5 songs to my playlist each week using their discover weekly and release radar playlists. My liked songs total is over 2k today because of this. This isn't the only reason why I haven't dropped it for tidal.

BabyRay

Reaction score
Have you tried running the "DJ" in Spotify? He typically suggests music based on your likes and history.
I wasn’t aware of the DJ. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
So I have Amazon Music and Apple Music and they both suck aids infested donkey cock.

Anything I select they seem to go into repeat after and hour or two.

Is there a way to customize any of them to set preferences differently?

Amazons Idea of classic rock or outlaw country is not the same as mine…….
I know I am missing out on listening to a lot of good music because these two apps always play the same 25-30 songs it seems.
I like a lot of different music and would like to hear different songs from the boring ass same shit over and over.
There is some great newer outlaw music I have heard on other peoples apps but I never get it.
I do Spotify and pandora.
Like oldboatsrule said, There is a drop down tab on pandora, “my station” at the top and it gives you different options. I like deep cuts and discovery has introduced me to a lot of new bands. I know the “only artist” you have to be a paying member for that option.
Pandora.. after 10 years or so of "teaching" it what I like, it's pretty good.

As you thumb up or down it starts to learn your choices. You have several selections from "crowd faves" to "deep cuts" and a few in between.
IMG_2969.png

Icky

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of the DJ. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.
Sometimes it sucks a few skips and he'll change it up. Or try the daily mixes

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Spotify. Only complaint is that it sometimes does not like me using one device over another Without logging on and off.

BabyRay

Reaction score
I do use Pandora occasionally, so I thought I’d try their ad-free version. Then I saw that they offer three gender choices. Somehow, I’ve always thought there were only two, but what do I know? 🙄

1712638549309.png

eand28

Reaction score
Sirius ends up repeating the same songs after a while. I had Spotify for a brief time and wasn’t a fan. I’ve been using Apple Music since it came out in 2015 and it did a good job showing you new music until apple updated how it works a few years ago

C-2

Reaction score
Tidal and Spotify.

I use Tidal because of its streaming quality i stream to my home system in HiFi, lossless quality using an iZen DAC.

"Lossless" quality means the music is not compressed to save music file size. It's the equivalent of CD quality sound, instead of MP3, which is kind of like the floppy disk of technology - it is outdated.

Apple also offers quality, lossless streaming using their FLAC format, but I don't like their interface. Same as Amazon. Both don't feel like an "app" to me.

Spotify has been promising higher quality streaming, but thus far they have not done it.

Spotify also offers audiobooks, which is a really cool feature considering Kindle is like 15 per month.

Romans9

Reaction score
Great comments in here.

Anyway to keep some of these apps from using remastered songs.

Well I guess I should ask first what exactly is a remastered song?

I don’t like it when they take out any of the original sounds from songs that I know well. Maybe there is more to it?

white tortilla

Reaction score
Spotify Premium is the best I have found. You can play by artist, by genre, by “artist radio”, there is a million curated playlists by users you can play. Make your own playlist, and save music offline easily to play when you don’t have service. All the podcasts, comedy albums, audiobooks are on there, the search function works great. Also I have the family plan so multiple devices including my TV and wives phone are all logged in. Some of the media has video included.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spotify Premium is the best I have found. You can play by artist, by genre, by “artist radio”, there is a million curated playlists by users you can play. Make your own playlist, and save music offline easily to play when you don’t have service. All the podcasts, comedy albums, audiobooks are on there, the search function works great. Also I have the family plan so multiple devices including my TV and wives phone are all logged in. Some of the media has video included.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Spotify. And don't forget to "like" your favorite songs.

Once Spotify gets a feel for what you like, it will build custom playlists for you.

Screenshot_20240409_101845_Spotify.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I use Amazon and just build playlists then after while i just listen to my playlist on shuffle. I download it to for when I don't have service.

When i grow weary and need to hear something new i go searching and adding to my playlist.

Also on Amazon i have found some good stuff by listening to the suggested playlists of other people.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Amazon I have multiple playlists that I have made plus I use the My Soundtrack feature and use the 👍👎 feature so it has learned what to play. Long drives I'll go with a podcast, usually Mike Rowe.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The best app to use if you “want to hear other similar music” is Pandora. They own that segment, and they’re very good at it. But their streaming quality isn’t great.

As mentioned, lossless will always be the best quality, and most of the services have some form of this…Pandora and Spotify being two exceptions here.

Consider also your streaming drcice, like your phone or tablet. For the best quality, go to the settings and select the highest quality option offered. Default is never highest quality, it’s usually mid-tier or lower so you have to manually do this.

And if you have an Android phone, go to the Bluetooth settings for each device you connect to, and select LDAC if offered…this is currently the highest quality BT streaming you can get.

And if you must listen to SiriusXM, fer chrissakes stream it from the app - this is the best quality they offer. Listening direct from the satellite thru your head unit is literally the worst audio quality you can get.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Sirius $6. in wife's car.

Amazon Prime music when I'm in the garage, radio mostly off when I'm driving.

C-2

Reaction score
The cool deal with music apps is that unless you are playing full albums, they will play different songs by your favorite artists. Radio stations only play singles that are released or promoted by the record labels. That's why Jim Ladd and a few other DJ's were cool - they played whatever they liked.

My 20-year old daughter has turned me on to countless Floyds songs, and tracks from bands I've listened to for years - yet I never heard the songs because they were never played on the radio.

Fearless by Floyd is a great example.

For that reason alone, I think most of the apps are great. Playlist are where it's at.

LB247XS

Reaction score
SPOTIFY
I created so many playlists and I pay the $10.00 monthly no ads so I can download all music and even play offline works great with Android Auto in the truck going to the lake

C-2

Reaction score
I'm lazy, I like to latch on to other people's playlists lol lol :D