WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My (new) RZR build

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I had to modify the spare tire mount I got to fit my aftermarket cage and 32-33” tires. Got that all done today with my neighbor. The diagonal bars going to the rear harness bar landed right where the spare tire rack mounts needed to go.
DBD4C41B-BA20-4566-A2A0-1D105F1A4A21.jpeg
62FA8D44-F65E-49E7-B49C-D9E9626939AF.jpeg
96A9CBBD-E12C-489B-B8F9-6EDC96C487E5.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Yesterday I put on a set of Shock Therapy tie rods I got on their Black Friday sale. These guys make nice parts and pieces.

Some of these machines have quite a bit of toe change through suspension travel. Eliminating the bump steer makes the car a lot more consistent, stable, and less fatiguing to drive.

Their outer tie rod pins are adjustable to eliminate bump steer. I made up a little setup to measure the bump steer with my laser level attached to the brake caliper. The laser level shined a light onto my cabinet where I stood up some cardboard. I then just cycled the suspension and made marks on the cardboard at full compression, full droop and ride height. I then played with the outer tie rod shim stack that came with the kit and did that several times until I got the tightest measurement, and there is almost no toe change now.

View attachment 1177821
View attachment 1177822
View attachment 1177826
View attachment 1177827
Nice box 😉

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I think I am going to have to do some something like that on my spare tire mount....for some reason the guy that built my cage made the spare tire mount only carry up to 30" tire...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think I am going to have to do some something like that on my spare tire mount....for some reason the guy that built my cage made the spare tire mount only carry up to 30" tire...

Why do people do this lol?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This addresses the other glaring weak point in the Polaris XP 1000/Turbo series of cars and that is the rear sway bar mount. It can rip off the frame when you put on bigger sway bars or when you drive the car really hard. The braces are bolt on and easy to install. Great way to prevent more expensive problems down the road.

I did get a pair of Eibach front and rear sway bars on sale just to tinker with. I will try those later after the shock work is completed. But with the upgraded endlinks and rear sway bar mount brace, this car is good to go.

8AB43061-8D88-45B6-804B-58EBEDE18EA0.jpeg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Can the Talon run a 32" without major transmission work? I know the YXZ requires a swap of the first 3 gears in the trans

Reactions: DLC

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
man I would’ve thought I’d block you for the speed thread but I might have too because of the upgrades I’m going to make because of this one!

Reactions: DWC

DLC

Reaction score
a friend runs 32 tensors DS on his 2 seater no problems! He upgraded the stock fuel tank to an aftermarket 11 gallon and they get upwards of 14 mpg

this car works really well with weight added to the rear of the car.
Can the Talon run a 32" without major transmission work? I know the YXZ requires a swap of the first 3 gears in the trans
D774FC3E-8C6A-4A84-B42C-040F449EB226.jpeg

Socalx09

Reaction score
I’m

Thank you! Are you the one selling or just found it on Craigslist? I think we have the sway bar mounts, but not the end links with the rod cage, so I may check if one of our friends want the mounts and get that deal.

Sorry @LargeOrangeFont if this is thread jacking.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Thank you! Are you the one selling or just found it on Craigslist? I think we have the sway bar mounts, but not the end links with the rod cage, so I may check if one of our friends want the mounts and get that deal.

I’m not selling just found them the other day when looking for RZR upgrades on the cheap.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

No worries. That looks like a great deal for that stuff!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I forgot to update…

The car is in Havasu on Bluetooth shocks until tomorrow afternoon.

Had a nice dinner at El Parasio before heading home

00DD144C-26A4-4DB2-96B3-80C4ACC5EAE3.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Car did well on the Havasu Poker run. Nothing fell off :) I was not able to get the shocks done in time so we ran it with the stock valving and had the shocks done after the poker run.

So yesterday I got the shocks back from DC Shock services. They were very fair with their revalve pricing and I am excited to try these out. That is the finished rear shock with the 2 way adjuster installed. There is a special tool needed to install them.
CB0C1769-B0C5-4EBF-B64D-F039C3A650B9.jpeg

However I did hit one snag. The 2.5” upgraded front shocks I got have a short course setup on them and are 2 inches too short. I should have measured them, but they looked fine and so just assumed they were good. It was obvious they were too short when I went to install the shocks last night. It appears I will have to get the standard length front shock shafts for them and swap those out. I will find out what that will take and how long it will take to get them next week. DC is helping me figure out what differences there are between the 2 shocks. Luckily the shock bodies appear to be the standard length, so this should not be too expensive of an ordeal.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ok front shocks are off getting new front shafts installed.

I was installing my clutch kit this afternoon and noticed I had a broken clutch button in the secondary. These are a plastic material that the helix in the secondary clutch slides on. These are wear items but it is not uncommon for these to break. But it is a little surprising with how few miles were on the car. I ordered a beefier aftermarket set, and went down the street and bought a OE replacement button to keep the car mobile and test out the clutch and ECU tuning.

Glad I pulled it apart, I have no idea how long it was broken, but the car seemed to have been driving normally and not doing anything weird. Aside from the missing piece there was no other wear on the hard parts which is a good thing.

9544DB5B-CEE9-445F-B2F0-9B279C7EC095.jpeg

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Finished installing the new AA clutch kit, installed and flashed the car with their Stage 2 tune that runs 91 octane fuel. The car has stock front shocks in it right now, but the revalved rears.

Took the car out yesterday for a 30 mile run with my daughter. Very happy with all the changes. This is what I was hoping to achieve. The car is more responsive and faster. It spins the tires a bit on the street out of the hole in 2wd. Throttle response is much more crisp, and the car puts power down much better. The AA recommended clutch weight setup was right on the money. This was my first time using them, and I will use them going forward.

The rear shocks are working awesome, there is big difference in compliance and ride quality with just the revalved rears. The fronts will be done hopefully in the next week or so.

I can really feel the difference of the front bouncing through stuff and the rear absorbing bumps and dropping into ruts like it should. The 2 ends of the car are fighting themselves a bit now, but it is still a huge improvement over stock.

DC Shock Services was great to work with and did a great job for me. Excited to get the front shocks to complete this thing.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Finished installing the new AA clutch kit, installed and flashed the car with their Stage 2 tune that runs 91 octane fuel. The car has stock front shocks in it right now, but the revalved rears.

Took the car out yesterday for a 30 mile run with my daughter. Very happy with all the changes. This is what I was hoping to achieve. The car is more responsive and faster. It spins the tires a bit on the street out of the hole in 2wd. Throttle response is much more crisp, and the car puts power down much better. The AA recommended clutch weight setup was right on the money. This was my first time using them, and I will use them going forward.

The rear shocks are working awesome, there is big difference in compliance and ride quality with just the revalved rears. The fronts will be done hopefully in the next week or so.

I can really feel the difference of the front bouncing through stuff and the rear absorbing bumps and dropping into ruts like it should. The 2 ends of the car are fighting themselves a bit now, but it is still a huge improvement over stock.

DC Shock Services was great to work with and did a great job for me. Excited to get the front shocks to complete this thing.
Good to hear about the AA clutch and tune, my R needs a Clutch for the dunes, and they were at the top of my list.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont i already did exhaust and clutch kit I want to do the tuner did you upgrade any of the intake or charge tubes I heard it’s recommended to do them if doing a tuner what do you think?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont i already did exhaust and clutch kit I want to do the tuner did you upgrade any of the intake or charge tubes I heard it’s recommended to do them if doing a tuner what do you think?

I just did stage 2 which is only a couple pounds more boost than stock. They say you don’t need them for Stage 2 but you do for Stage 3. I don’t want to run octane booster for Stage 3 so I am going to stay with Stage 2.

I did not do the charge pipe and recirc valve yet. I may end up doing those. The stock intake looks pretty good, I don’t see a need to mess with that but I do see a benefit from the aftermarket charge tube and billet vs. plastic stock diverter valve.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
This looks like the UTV kings spare tire rack, I am about to buy the thing but curious, I have an aftermarket cage and my crossbar, where the harnesses strap on, is about 3/14 inches from the bodywork to the centerline of the tube. The pics look loke yours is a bit higher, I can fab some new stand offs for the pivot points...if necessary. How high is your crossbar?

Attachments

• Turbo S 3.jpg
    Turbo S 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This looks like the UTV kings spare tire rack, I am about to buy the thing but curious, I have an aftermarket cage and my crossbar, where the harnesses strap on, is about 3/14 inches from the bodywork to the centerline of the tube. The pics look loke yours is a bit higher, I can fab some new stand offs for the pivot points...if necessary. How high is your crossbar?
That is the UTV Kingz unit. I have my rear seat backs lowered on the frame for the kids so my rear harness bar is a similar height to yours. The mounts can be adjusted for the height of that crossbar anyway if you wanted more bed clearance for instance.

I had to grab the latch with channel locks and bend it slightly to latch and unlatch smoothly. The latch had a couple degree incline to it relative to the lock bar bolted to the bed. It works great now.

0 complaints with this thing, even after the modifications. I did purchase some shorter lift struts so the spare tire would not hit the roll cage at full extension.

VHT Chassis and Roll Bar black is a perfect match to cover up any fab work you need to do to it. Moving the rear most tie downs lower on the tube make it fit a 32” tire a bit better, but it will work as is.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We did a couples weekend trip from Havasu to Laughlin and back a couple weeks ago. One day up there, a day ride and then one day back to Havasu. It was about 300 miles total, and we stayed at the Tropicana.

I made this rear seat rack storage a couple years ago for my old RZR and it also fits this car. Just pop the rear seats out and pop this in. I had a different bin before, but it did not work with the aftermarket cage.

This is a Plano 108 qt Sportsman’s Trunk. They are available at Home Depot for about $50. I added a strip of 1/4” foam rubber into the channel in the lid making it 100% dust and weatherproof. The lid of this trunk is also reinforced so you could mount other stuff to it for longer trips if needed. We threw our clothes bag, some extra tools and snacks in the trunk. It worked great. We are doing an AZ peace trail ride soon and I’ll be mounting my extra gas cans to the lid of the trunk. At least that is my current plan.

The trunk is just bolted to the storage rack.

F1DD6CA2-CFA8-4378-867D-81CF9113A2D7.jpeg
E6FA78D0-C856-46F6-9683-7E0D487323E1.jpeg

A couple pics of the trip
43B76E7C-CEB3-4921-9124-6EE6E3EE374C.jpeg
468C09CF-890A-4ACA-9A53-0A3099B57A9D.jpeg
7638F8CD-962E-4828-AE30-4DAFE1431C27.jpeg
460F70E8-9058-4AC8-8419-71031797F765.jpeg
6680DEAB-89FB-4C80-91B9-B1E23C67E4B7.jpeg

Car is really working well. I’m very pleased with the build and the results. I don’t know that there is anything I’d change at this point.

Had the car at Sand Hollow yesterday.

DBC04608-8978-41CF-8EF0-06501620C281.jpeg

899BCB2E-BF76-455C-B789-5129F473F5D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have the same rack storage and trunk, however I didn’t do the 1/4” weather strip and mine was dust free. I am also doing the peace trail in a few weeks. I will not be mounting gas to my lid tho :)

This whole setup is less than 100)

DWC

Reaction score
We did a couples weekend trip from Havasu to Laughlin and back a couple weeks ago. One day up there, a day ride and then one day back to Havasu. It was about 300 miles total, and we stayed at the Tropicana.

I made this rear seat rack storage a couple years ago for my old RZR and it also fits this car. Just pop the rear seats out and pop this in. I had a different bin before, but it did not work with the aftermarket cage.

This is a Plano 108 qt Sportsman’s Trunk. They are available at Home Depot for about $50. I added a strip of 1/4” foam rubber into the channel in the lid making it 100% dust and weatherproof. The lid of this trunk is also reinforced so you could mount other stuff to it for longer trips if needed. We threw our clothes bag, some extra tools and snacks in the trunk. It worked great. We are doing an AZ peace trail ride soon and I’ll be mounting my extra gas cans to the lid of the trunk. At least that is my current plan.

The trunk is just bolted to the storage rack.

View attachment 1196772 View attachment 1196773

A couple pics of the trip
View attachment 1196777 View attachment 1196778 View attachment 1196776 View attachment 1196775 View attachment 1196774

Car is really working well. I’m very pleased with the build and the results. I don’t know that there is anything I’d change at this point.

Had the car at Sand Hollow yesterday.

View attachment 1196782
View attachment 1196781
Who the hell was wearing shorts out there? How did you convince your wife to go?😬

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Who the hell was wearing shorts out there? How did you convince your wife to go?😬

Jeff runs warmer than I do. We got a little lucky with the weather. It was 3 days after rain. Cold but no dust on Friday. Sat and Sun were a little cool but windy. Very low dust all 3 days because of the moisture still in the ground.

Convincing the wife wasn’t bad. Other wives were going, so there was peer pressure and other women to talk to. We planned quite a few stops, not a rigorous ride schedule. Goal was to be at the hotel by dusk each night.

Hot shower and warm hotel room every night. Brunch at Topock on Friday, Steak dinner at SaltGrass (really good meal) Friday night and Guy Fieri’s Mexican restaurant on Sat night (very good as well). A couple cocktails and some slot machines… it was a pretty easy sell.

Honestly it was a way easier trip than Alamo, and you’ve done that one.

The wives won a combined total of $1600 on penny slots 😳.

We paid the valet guys at the hotel to self park in the valet lot for security.

This trip was a home run all around. We will be doing more of them, wife was sold and wants to do another one. We can get you on the next one :)

DWC

Reaction score
Jeff runs warmer than I do. We got a little lucky with the weather. It was 3 days after rain. Cold but no dust on Friday. Sat and Sun were a little cool but windy. Very low dust all 3 days because of the moisture still in the ground.

Convincing the wife wasn’t bad. Other wives were going, so there was peer pressure and other women to talk to. We planned quite a few stops, not a rigorous ride schedule. Goal was to be at the hotel by dusk each night.

Hot shower and warm hotel room every night. Brunch at Topock on Friday, Steak dinner at SaltGrass (really good meal) Friday night and Guy Fieri’s Mexican restaurant on Sat night (very good as well). A couple cocktails and some slot machines… it was a pretty easy sell.

Honestly it was a way easier trip than Alamo, and you’ve done that one.

The wives won a combined total of $1600 on penny slots 😳.

We paid the valet guys at the hotel to self park in the valet lot for security.

This trip was a home run all around. We will be doing more of them, wife was sold and wants to do another one. We can get you on the next one :)
We’re absolutely in. Steph would go anytime in any weather. I’m the wimp that hates to be freezing. (I’m more of a warm pool fan).
Bummed we didn’t get an Alamo trip in this year.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
yep my wife was already asking about the next trip :) and she never likes to put serious miles in. Sunday ride home was a bit brutal but not horrible

DLC

Reaction score
We missed a few stops and have more to see out in that Laughlin area!

Had some great sections of good rallies and new trails. It was great weekend

only issue was wind / breeze was chilly but not Arctic cold

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Well.

The rack showed up today and I, being unable to sit around, decided to go after it, you know...just test fit, etc.
Opened the box.
I have a pattern on stuff like this, I find the packing sheet/instructions and lay out all the hardware.
No packing sheet. No destructions.
OK. Can't be that tough to figure out, let me see what I got here...

Waitaminute...what the heck...
See anything wrong here?

20230211_135452.jpg

Yep. They didn't finish the machining process.
If you flip the one with no holes over you'll see it is drilled halfway through, and threaded...like it would be set up to weld onto the hinge side of the clamp

Some feller overseas was having a bad day. I am not sure if the same feller was bagging the hardware packs, but he appears to have shorted me about 10 1/4=20 lock nuts too.
SMH.
I called the number, sorry only way to speak to us is via the email, so I sent them an email, and I will endeavor to persevere, and move forward.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well.

The rack showed up today and I, being unable to sit around, decided to go after it, you know...just test fit, etc.
Opened the box.
I have a pattern on stuff like this, I find the packing sheet/instructions and lay out all the hardware.
No packing sheet. No destructions.
OK. Can't be that tough to figure out, let me see what I got here...

Waitaminute...what the heck...
See anything wrong here?

View attachment 1198314

Yep. They didn't finish the machining process.
If you flip the one with no holes over you'll see it is drilled halfway through, and threaded...like it would be set up to weld onto the hinge side of the clamp

Some feller overseas was having a bad day. I am not sure if the same feller was bagging the hardware packs, but he appears to have shorted me about 10 1/4=20 lock nuts too.
SMH.
I called the number, sorry only way to speak to us is via the email, so I sent them an email, and I will endeavor to persevere, and move forward.
Well that is crappy!

They did respond via email pretty quick to me.

If you have any assembly questions let me know, I’ve done a few of them.

Did it come with some large fender washers?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Yes...got fender washers. Figured they were for the gas strut pins. I am gonna look closely at your pics to see where you drilled for yours.
I have it mocked up as best I can. I am going to have to open up some of the holes, and will probably go up to 5/16 NC grade 8. Once I hog out the holes there in the latch mount pin deal I think the 1/4 bolts will fall right through.
I am thinking I may make some other mods, too.
I have plenty of time to fiddle with it waiting for the clamp piece, LOL. I could set my little bench top mill up to fix it. but don't want to spend an hour on the setup for this deal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes...got fender washers. Figured they were for the gas strut pins. I am gonna look closely at your pics to see where you drilled for yours.
I have it mocked up as best I can. I am going to have to open up some of the holes, and will probably go up to 5/16 NC grade 8. Once I hog out the holes there in the latch mount pin deal I think the 1/4 bolts will fall right through.
I am thinking I may make some other mods, too.
I have plenty of time to fiddle with it waiting for the clamp piece, LOL. I could set my little bench top mill up to fix it. but don't want to spend an hour on the setup for this deal.

Oh there is nothing you need to drill. But yes may require a little hand fitting here or there.

The little “dogbones” drop into the forward slots on the bed they use a nut and bolt on top, and the ball stud for the lift strut goes on the bottom towards the bed floor.

Fender washers are used to keep everything from pulling out. Ball stud on bottom, bolt on top. Tighten the ball stud until the washer bends as shown :)

7CE7DA7A-C471-46B0-8342-607B2EAEBB5D.jpeg

Latch plate is a simple R&R of existing bolts. Leave striker here a little loose for final adjustment.

DB133810-A88F-473A-8886-A5234E4A32A0.jpeg

If it does not latch and unlatch smoothly, bend this mount slightly until latch is parallel with striker.

F164FA69-5D47-4B4D-BA66-A17B789282D6.jpeg

I can get a couple pics in the bed tomorrow of the “dogbones” and how they drop in the slots in the bed.

I actually left the holes on the tire mount at 5/16 and ran the 1/2” hardware supplied as it allowed me to align everything, and has always held in place when set to a moderate tension to allow the mount to swing up and down.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I really appreciate the pics, will follow your lead there. those dogbones deals are the only pieces I have yet to figure out, so...if it isn't too much trouble, I would love those pics tomorrow.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I really appreciate the pics, will follow your lead there. those dogbones deals are the only pieces I have yet to figure out, so...if it isn't too much trouble, I would love those pics tomorrow.

Crap I’m sorry, I still
Owe you pics. I’ll get them in the morning when I’m prepping for our ride.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Some maintenance today.

We are doing the full AZ Peace Trail ride in a couple weeks so I’m prepping the car.

Got the wheel bearings greased, changed the engine oil and nut and bolted the car. Didn’t find anything out of the ordinary aside from a Rusty nail through a tread block on the shoulder of the tire. It broke trying to get it out. I don’t think it punctured the carcass luckily.
8E4A0FA6-0EC3-4338-9F01-027D918609AD.jpeg
5708CCCC-578E-4E74-9B14-CD955399F756.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well the Peace Trail trip went well. Put 700 miles on the car so I did a full prep and service on it again this weekend.

All new fluids, and filters, cleaned the clutches and went over the car. No real damage to be found which is great. I have a primary clutch that is slightly hanging up at idle so I will need to fix that.

I’ve never seen a filter this full of dirt. This was new when we started the Peace Trail trip 🤣 I run a foam prefilter and it was completely full of fine dirt!
57993182-51E4-41BF-B748-68D1DDA64543.jpeg

Under the prefilters, filter looked really good. You can see the prefilter is doing it job keeping that out of the filter.

AD4E2E1F-4F7F-4D21-9583-E1D49CE90747.jpeg

All freshened up with a new prefilters.

CC909A1C-C111-4E33-8455-4CC5C428E30D.jpeg

Also installed the front and rear adjustable Eibach anti roll bars that have been sitting around from the original build.

91EBDF88-526D-4C9C-B413-72EF3776B519.jpeg

In this softest setting the bar is just slightly stiffer than stock. The front has 2 adjustments as well. I left it in the softest setting to start.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just a report back on the sway bars…

Wow.

I should have done them sooner. I was worried they would negativity affect the ride, but I think the ride actually improved in the rough stuff. It is definitely not any worse, and the car corners harder, even with the bars set up full soft all the way around.

This is based on a ride through the same terrain and trails, just a couple weeks apart before and after.

Badchoices03

Reaction score