WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pontoon Pimpin'

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Well, since we decided to store the new boat in AZ, my wife felt that we needed a boat to keep at the house for local lake trips. Obviously, we needed to keep the budget within reason. Since we are new grandparents, we decided on an older pontoon. This allows us to break the baby in on something quiet and chill before getting her on the fun boat. LOL! Not going to lie though, I don't know crap about pontoons, nor do I know much about outboards. This should be interesting. Here's our 1988 Godfrey 2422 we picked up.

IMG_6147.JPG

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I bought a beater pontoon for local lakes. Don't go to the river anymore! Hate to say it, but I don't miss the 4-5 hour drive, crazy hot weather, always cleaning when you get there, unloading, etc. Now, we are at the lakes in about 20 minutes, no lines to launch, stay all day, home in 20 minutes and because it's a beater I don't worry about unloading or cleaning until the next day.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I bought a beater pontoon for local lakes. Don't go to the river anymore! Hate to say it, but I don't miss the 4-5 hour drive, crazy hot weather, always cleaning when you get there, unloading, etc. Now, we are at the lakes in about 20 minutes, no lines to launch, stay all day, home in 20 minutes and because it's a beater I don't worry about unloading or cleaning until the next day.
This was my reluctancy for getting another boat. We have a beautiful boat that is stored out there, good friends bought a house there a few months back, so we have a nice place to stay. I was thinking, no reason not to go to the river a couple of times a month at this point....
We live 1 mile from the local launch ramp. No way my daughter is bringing her new baby to the river for the weekend this summer. I'm a little worried that we will spend more time on the beater than the new boat.

RichL

Reaction score
Years ago we bought a beater pontoon since we live on a very small lake where we can't use the big boat. Jokingly refer to it as the Monday to Thursday boat. On the weekend we go to the boat club on a larger lake and use the big boat while staying at the camper. Works for us.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well, since we decided to store the new boat in AZ, my wife felt that we needed a boat to keep at the house for local lake trips. Obviously, we needed to keep the budget within reason. Since we are new grandparents, we decided on an older pontoon. This allows us to break the baby in on something quiet and chill before getting her on the fun boat. LOL! Not going to lie though, I don't know crap about pontoons, nor do I know much about outboards. This should be interesting. Here's our 1988 Godfrey 2422 we picked up.

View attachment 1354495

Looks like you got yourself a big Johnson! 😁

I'm guessing it's a 2 smoke?

Throw an impeller in it and a set of plugs and run it. Should be dependable as hell. 👍🏼

Havasu blue label

Reaction score

View attachment 1354495
Perfect toon enjoy it

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Looks like you got yourself a big Johnson! 😁

I'm guessing it's a 2 smoke?

Throw an impeller in it and a set of plugs and run it. Should be dependable as hell. 👍🏼
1998 Big Johnson 150! Oil injected 2 smoker baby.
Pervious owner just did new plugs, wires, impeller, and a few other maintenance things including lower gear oil. Should be ready to hit the water. I read in a few forums that this engine is pretty reliable. Owner claims around 300 hours on it according to a recent scan.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I bought an older pontoon for Havasu. Had some motor issues out of the gate last summer. Outboards fairly easy to work on. Seems to be running good now. No regrets, and the dogs think it’s great.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
This was my reluctancy for getting another boat. We have a beautiful boat that is stored out there, good friends bought a house there a few months back, so we have a nice place to stay. I was thinking, no reason not to go to the river a couple of times a month at this point....
We live 1 mile from the local launch ramp. No way my daughter is bringing her new baby to the river for the weekend this summer. I'm a little worried that we will spend more time on the beater than the new boat.
It's not so bad! I like sleeping in my trusty bed and being in my home though. Someday I'll move out of state and be able to have a home with a dock in the backyard. Never heard anyone say they regretted having that setup.