WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV

cxr

Reaction score
Anybody know the laws for setting up a 5th wheel RV on private property ( back yard, off alley, gate)
for a sick relative to live in for a long period of time in so californa, SFV.

i have tried googling and cant find the answer and tried posting the question on a RV forum and did not get a clear answer and i dont even know where to start trying to call the city :(

if it turns into a dont ask dont tell , how often is it enforced?

wondering if any of the inmates here have looked into it?

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Only worry is Municipal Codes. Some cities specifically prohibit it and a pissed off code enforcement officer can make your life hell.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It probably depends on the city you are in. City of LA may be more or less hassle than say, Northridge? The don't ask don't tell part works until a neighbor throws you under the bus, and then you may need to do emergency moves and such.

You may look into the state laws and how they are worded as far as being changed for the "housing shortage". That may help you. Those are relatively new laws, and I don't know much about them. Also look into variants for disabilities, as temporary disability still counts.

Mostly, good luck. I hope things go well with both housing and illness.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Before you spill it to your city, look up codes online.. I know my city prohibits occupying rv's on private property..

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol.. So Cal is specifically not looking into things like this. In fact, they do not want police "hassling" anyone living in an RV on the street. If you are in the L.A. County area you are probably good to go, unless you have a H.O.A. or something. I can't imagine SFV is any different.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Anybody know the laws for setting up a 5th wheel RV on private property ( back yard, off alley, gate)
for a sick relative to live in for a long period of time in so californa, SFV.

i have tried googling and cant find the answer and tried posting the question on a RV forum and did not get a clear answer and i dont even know where to start trying to call the city :(

if it turns into a dont ask dont tell , how often is it enforced?

wondering if any of the inmates here have looked into it?
Just call it an accessory dwelling unit the state allows them now and the state regs will trump any city ordinance. However i would just have them stay there and only use that if you have too. You likely won’t have an issue unless a neighbor were to complain.

cxr

Reaction score
Before you spill it to your city, look up codes online.. I know my city prohibits occupying rv's on private property..
do you know where online to look? yes Northridge, Lake Balboa area
No HOA

yz450mm

Reaction score
Keep the TV antenna down, close the blinds, use the reflective bubble inserts in the windows, and use foil tape to seal around the edges. No light in, no light out. Don't hook it up to sewer, and don't advertise that it is being lived in. You can run a 15 amp extension cord to "keep the battery charged".

Don't let them set up some hillbilly wooden staircase, dont advertise it, and you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Lol.. So Cal is specifically not looking into things like this. In fact, they do not want police "hassling" anyone living in an RV on the street. If you are in the L.A. County area you are probably good to go, unless you have a H.O.A. or something. I can't imagine SFV is any different.
Burbank sure still is. They have loosened their RV storage codes, but the street is still a big No-No. They did approve secondary residences (such as tiny houses) on lots recently so that may be a way to get around the code. Typically as long as a trailer doesn't have storage tanks anymore, most municipalities I know of won't consider it a RV for storage purposes.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

BajaMike

Reaction score
It seems like the new law in California allows anyone to add one or two living units on a property without adding parking and the city cannot outlaw it or use code enforcement. Stupid law (every property owner can add a “duplex” unit) and not adding parking is a nightmare for your neighbors. I think the new law went into effect Jan 1, 2020.

cxr

Reaction score
Just call it an accessory dwelling unit the state allows them now and the state regs will trump any city ordinance. However i would just have them stay there and only use that if you have too. You likely won’t have an issue unless a neighbor were to complain.
guess its a no no google search for accessory dwelling unit

Unless otherwise stated in Chapter 17.47 (Temporary Use Types) of this Code, the occupancy of vehicles, including recreational vehicles, trailers, or vessels, as a residence, temporary or permanent, is prohibited in all zones

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
do you know where online to look? yes Northridge, Lake Balboa area
No HOA

We will give you all the answers to your questions if you show up to the RDP get together at the Springbok on Saturday at 3 pm.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you don't have the RV already, could you use something like a "Tuffshed" and just insulate it well? It wouldn't have plumbing though. It may fall under the new Ca law, and be quick to get going.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Unless otherwise stated in Chapter 17.47 (Temporary Use Types) of this Code, the occupancy of vehicles, including recreational vehicles, trailers, or vessels, as a residence, temporary or permanent, is prohibited in all zones
I would look up what the definition of RV is for your municipality. Like I said before, sometimes it's just the holding tanks that make it such. Could be easy to get around that.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Put it on Jack Stands and take the tires off...then it's no longer a trailer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@cxr If it's on your property and you keep it low-key i don't think you'll have any issues. I live in Lake Balboa, they have no resources or ability to control RV's of any kind! Takes months for them to even get them moved out of the street. I don't think you'll have any problems on your property

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Just tell them yore relative is here illegally, poor and is very sick.

Not only will they get free healthcare but also they can stay in the free RV provided by the state

;):D:confused:

JK. Look up your local city ordinance. My city prohibits them but it is strictly a local city law. YMMV

I was going to do this in another county. The county prohibits it but it’s not enforced so don’t ask don’t tell.

Last edited: