WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Silverado #2 😎

Backlash

Reaction score
Well, as luck would have it, I picked up a new "Used" truck to add to our fleet.

PXL_20231107_231322778.jpg

I was hooked the moment I saw the color. 🥰

And no, the SS is not going up for sale unless someone offers a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Here is a short story to bring you up to speed with "What" and "Why."

This is a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD. The truck is 4WD and has the 6.0 LS with the 4L80E transmission that has reportedly been rebuilt. From what I can tell, the only thing that isn't factory in the engine bay is the intake. Other than that, it's essentially stock. The truck sounds and runs pretty damn good with the addition of a Magnaflow muffler. It isn't lifted but does have the aftermarket wheels and tires (285's). Overall, for what it is and what I want to use the truck for, it should fit the bill.

I have to say, this Silverado is NOWHERE near as clean as my SS. My Silverado SS has been babied and stored indoors majority of its life and I haven't "Abused the truck." The interior and exterior of that vehicle are in superb condition, and I've become spoiled by that.

This 1500HD has not been treated quite as nicely, but it's not in terrible condition either. There are a lot of silly things that need to be fixed or addressed, that I'll work on as I get the time.

Backlash

Reaction score
Why "This" truck?

My wife and I picked up a bumper pull trailer a few months ago, and we brought the trailer home using the Silverado SS. That truck has PLENTY of power and torque, and handled the weight of the trailer just fine. But, that is not what I want to do with that truck. That's not what it was designed to do, so that's when the hunt started.

Our two youngest boys are growing like weeds, and stuffing them in the back of an extra cab truck wasn't going to work much longer. We needed something with some more space for them, so a four door was in order.

The tow rating on my SS is around 7,500 pounds. The trailer we purchased is around 4,000 pounds dry, which is probably a very conservative estimate. That leaves us with about 3,000-3,500 pounds of "Wiggle room." Add in fuel in the truck, four people, two dogs, and all the crap folks drag with them to go camping, and we aren't left with much.

I've had diesels and they are fantastic if all you're going to do is haul heavy loads. They are loud, they shake the house on startup, they smell awesome and they let people know you mean business. They are also a lot more expensive, and to be honest, more truck than we really needed. I looked at a few Silverado 2500HD's with the Duramax, but the pricing was ridiculous. I wasn't going to pay $25K+ for a used truck with 200K miles on it. Anything with less miles was much more expensive. We are also in L.A. County and with added registration fees, excessive diesel fuel costs, it just didn't pencil out for us. So for those reasons, I dismissed the 2500HD and the Duramax option.

That led me to the 1500HD. They are somewhat of a limited truck as they were only produced for a few years (2001-2007). Not saying this new truck is a collector's item, but it isn't all that common either. The tow rating on the 1500HD is right at 10K pounds, which is a lot better than our SS. So it should safely tow whatever we could afford to buy.

The 1500HD is gas and not diesel. That suits our needs and I'm fairly familiar with the LS platform. It has the larger 4L80E transmission and the larger 14 bolt semi-float rear axle with eight lug wheels. Many of the same components you would find on the 2500HD. 😉

Did I mention the color? Sorry, I like red and the GM Victory Red is tough to beat. Not everyone likes this color, but I do. 😉

So, I told my wife when I looked at this particular truck, there was a good chance I was going to pull the trigger. If it was as clean as it appeared in the photos, and ran as well as the owner claimed, I would buy it.

It did, so I did. 🤣

We completed the transaction at his AAA office, I paid my DMV fees and I paid the man what we both agreed upon. It was a seamless transaction and I think we both walked away satisfied. I thanked him, hopped in and drove to the nearest gas station to top off the tank. I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of that. LMAO!!

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Congrats! I will say add a tru cool 40k cooler and enjoy!

My plan was to eventually improve cooling capabilities for both engine and trans. I will definitely look into the Tru Cool. Thank you!! 👍

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
When the previous owner and I were driving the truck, as luck would have it, a "Check engine" light came on. He was aware and said the engine had previously thrown a code for the knock sensor. I was a little curious about this, but the way the truck was running, there was no loss of power, no reduced acceleration, no weird smells, nothing. He told me he had "Cleaned" the engine prior to my arrival, so it would look good. He thought there was a chance moisture either got down into the valley tray where the sensors are, or maybe the "Cleaning" caused moisture to seep into the connector for the sensor.

We discussed a few options, and he offered to reduce the asking price a bit to offset the cost of repairs. Another option he offered was to replace the knock sensors, but would then request his full asking price for the truck. If that option was agreed upon, I would have to leave the truck with him for a few days. I'm not afraid to tear into things, so I agreed to take the truck "As is." I did that for a few reasons which I'll get into later.

I drove the truck home and it didn't skip a beat. The engine ran cool, accelerated normally and didn't give off any weird smells like burning oil or coolant. I got home and ran the truck over to a local shop to double check the code. Knock sensor. So I picked up both sensors and a set of intake manifold gaskets. 👍

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
I shuffled a few things around in front of our garage and made a little space to squeeze this truck in. My wife and I had other prior engagements, so the truck sat for a few days before I could mess around with it.

PXL_20231113_192430907.jpg

And we're off!! 🤣

PXL_20231113_215747936.jpg

Does this engine look like it was recently "Cleaned up?" 😲

LMAO!! Yeah, I know. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
I got everything pulled off the top of the motor and spent the afternoon scraping, wiping, brushing, rubbing and cleaning. Not rubbing in a good way either. 🤣

Like I said in a prior post, this thing runs really well. So the intention is not to change anything out at this point. Other than the sensors.

Did I mention I frigging hate dirty engines. 🤬

PXL_20231113_220100569.jpg

This mess took some work to get it close to being clean. Oil, grease and crud was caked on like icing on a cake. After about an hour, I started to make some headway.

PXL_20231114_010731209.jpg

While this does look a helluva lot better, there is still a LOT left to do before I start putting anything back. I'll pick up where I left off sometime tomorrow. Good times! 🤣

As always, thank you for following along!

mattyc

Reaction score
I got everything pulled off the top of the motor and spent the afternoon scraping, wiping, brushing, rubbing and cleaning. Not rubbing in a good way either. 🤣

Like I said in a prior post, this thing runs really well. So the intention is not to change anything out at this point. Other than the sensors.

Did I mention I frigging hate dirty engines. 🤬

View attachment 1302347

This mess took some work to get it close to being clean. Oil, grease and crud was caked on like icing on a cake. After about an hour, I started to make some headway.

View attachment 1302348

While this does look a helluva lot better, there is still a LOT left to do before I start putting anything back. I'll pick up where I left off sometime tomorrow. Good times! 🤣

As always, thank you for following along!
Cool truck! They definitely ride nicer than a 2500 too. I have the same thing, 05 sierra white. Been great. Where did you find the 10k tow rating? I've always known mine to be 7800lbs according to the owners manual. Anyway, 10k would kill that truck in my opinion. When I tow my mach 26 (6k-6200lbs) across the desert I definitely have to make accommodations, especially on grades or into headwinds.

A little heads up as well, knock sensors for those have been terrible lately. OE sensors, aftermarket from all the brands, seems like 1 out of 10 actually work. I've been testing all of them after install and before the intake goes back in to avoid pulling it off again.

Backlash

Reaction score
I believe I snagged this screen shot off of Edmunds site.

Screenshot_20231109-134914.png

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

Today was another productive day. I got a lot more accomplished and am really happy with the progress.

PXL_20231114_185256247.jpg

Today was a day spent scrubbing. And when I finished scrubbing, I continued with more scrubbing. And after I finished that, I decided scrubbing was the best way to finish off the day. It seems like that's all I did the whole afternoon.

I finally made enough of a dent in the cleaning that I pulled the caps for the sensors. Here is the culprit of all this work. The wiring wasn't even connected to the sensor. 🙄

PXL_20231114_203224296.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Once I cleaned out the dimples in the valley plate, I replaced both sensors.

PXL_20231114_205450022.jpg

PXL_20231114_210600212.jpg

After that, it was off to do some more scrubbing. This time on the intake. It was as dirty as everything else in this engine bay.

Backlash

Reaction score
After about an hour, and a bucket of rags and Simple Green, I was happy with the end result. I scrubbed this sucker inside and out, and got rid of a ton of caked on crud. I feel like I got this intake more clean than it's been in quite some time.

PXL_20231114_235209870.jpg

Once that was all done I clipped on a new set of gaskets and set it back on top of the motor. I torqued it down and dropped the injectors back into place. I know that @LargeOrangeFont suggested I get the fuel injectors cleaned out, but I hadn't planned on dealing with them at this point. I've got some other things I want to get accomplished first, so I'll address the fuel injector cleaning later on. Thank you for the reminder LOF. 👍

I got everything back together, connected and tightened down. I need to pick up one new hose fitting and a few other things before I completely button this up. So far, so good!

PXL_20231115_011915353.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I didn't fire it up yet, I have to pick up a little rubber hose connector that I managed to break. So hopefully I can do that tomorrow and see what happens with the light on the dash.

I laughed when I saw that spacer too, but figured "Why not." It's got a CARB sticker and everything! 🤣 I'm telling you, this sucker runs pretty damn good just the way it sits. Whoever put this motor together, took a few extra minutes on the assembly line. 👍

Cooter01

Reaction score
Looks way better!

Don't ask me why, yet I watched this last night. Mainly to see how far trucks have come. A lot of good info

I buy coolers from these guys as a lot of cheap knock offs on amazon and ebay

Brackets-

Bracket info-

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening! I spent some time this afternoon wrapping up this part of this project. My OCD kicked in, so I took a few steps backwards. Why? Because, that's why. 🤣

I went back and pulled the plug wires and unbolted each of the coil packs. I pulled the coil packs and the rails that hold the coil packs on to the tops of the valve covers. All of this was caked with oil, grease and dirt. It was disgusting. It bugged me that I had spent so much time and energy cleaning everything else on top of the motor....that I figured I'd do the same here.

I scrubbed every. Single. Thing.

PXL_20231121_000700043.jpg

Once I had it all cleaned up, I reinstalled everything and found myself right back where I was three hours earlier. 🤷🤣

I double-checked each of the fasteners and made sure things were ready to go. Since I had run out of daylight, I snapped one last picture and closed the hood. I'll triple check everything tomorrow morning, then fire it up and see where we're at.

PXL_20231121_003112226.jpg

Last edited:

mattyc

Reaction score
Good evening! I spent some time this afternoon wrapping up this part of this project. My OCD kicked in, so I took a few steps backwards. Why? Because, that's why. 🤣

I went back and pulled the plug wires and unbolted each of the coil packs. I pulled the coil packs and the rails that hold the coil packs on to the tops of the valve covers. All of this was caked with oil, grease and dirt. It was disgusting. It bugged me that I had spent so much time and energy cleaning everything else on top of the motor....that I figured I'd do the same here.

I scrubbed every. Single. Thing.

View attachment 1305021

Once I had it all cleaned up, I reinstalled everything and found myself right back where I was three hours earlier. 🤷🤣

I double-checked each of the fasteners and made sure things were ready to go. Since I had run out of daylight, I snapped one last picture and closed the hood. I'll triple check everything tomorrow morning, then fire it up and see where we're at.

View attachment 1305024
Looking good, cleanest lq4 out there. Your ocd didnt turn its attention to the gates sticker hanging off the heater hose? 🧐

CLdrinker

Reaction score
All that cleaning plus the intake spacer. Shoot that thing is got to have gained atleast 20hp.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Looking good, cleanest lq4 out there. Your ocd didnt turn its attention to the gates sticker hanging off the heater hose? 🧐

What do you mean? That is evidence of recent restoration.

Backlash

Reaction score

Thank you!! Man I couldn't believe how filthy it was! But like I said, it runs great so I didn't want to change anything. The previous owner said he replaced some stuff on the AC system, including the hoses. I believe that to be true due to the hose clamps and the fact I froze my ass off when I drove it home. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Did you use a thin layer of Ultra black to prevent future water intrusion?

You act like this truck is going to get wet from muddin'! 🤣 Child please!! The only water she'll see will be from the car wash!!

No Sir, I didn't put anything on the caps. I probably could have, but didn't think I'd need it. The next time I'm in the same position, I'll try to remember to put some on them. 👍

hman442

Reaction score
It'll make you a great truck. I've had an '03 1500HD for 18 years, it's been pretty much bulletproof for me. I think I've replaced a window regulator and the carrier bearing (the rubber failed and the truck shook like the world was coming to an end). Mine gets about 10 empty, 10 loaded, 10 towing (unless it's a heavy tow, then it gets less). A few years ago I got a mid teens 1500 Sierra, that will actually pass a gas station, but can't seem to want to sell this one, because it's such a good truck. Years ago, I "tuned" it with one of those plug in tuners & it really did wake it up. I'm told that you can get considerably more, if you send your ECM out to one of those guys (somebody in Idaho with Bear in their name has a good rep). I bought it from several states away, as I thought the 1500HD would ride a bit better than a 2500, and, with 3.73 gears would get a little better gas mileage. It might ride better, but I can't imagine the 2500 getting any worse mileage. Enjoy your new ride, it'll make you a good one!
20210330_184958.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Looks so much better! How does it run?

Thanks for asking! Started up the first turn of the key this morning and ran exactly as it did before I cleaned it up and replaced the sensors. I haven't driven it as it's buried down the driveway at the moment. It still has the check engine light on the dash, but if I'm not mistaken, I'll either need to drive it a bit so the computer can reset......or I'll have to take it to a shop and have them clear the code. Either way it isn't going anywhere just yet. 👍

Backlash

Reaction score
It'll make you a great truck. I've had an '03 1500HD for 18 years, it's been pretty much bulletproof for me. I think I've replaced a window regulator and the carrier bearing (the rubber failed and the truck shook like the world was coming to an end). Mine gets about 10 empty, 10 loaded, 10 towing (unless it's a heavy tow, then it gets less). A few years ago I got a mid teens 1500 Sierra, that will actually pass a gas station, but can't seem to want to sell this one, because it's such a good truck. Years ago, I "tuned" it with one of those plug in tuners & it really did wake it up. I'm told that you can get considerably more, if you send your ECM out to one of those guys (somebody in Idaho with Bear in their name has a good rep). I bought it from several states away, as I thought the 1500HD would ride a bit better than a 2500, and, with 3.73 gears would get a little better gas mileage. It might ride better, but I can't imagine the 2500 getting any worse mileage. Enjoy your new ride, it'll make you a good one!
View attachment 1305283
Hman, that's a beautiful truck and obviously well taken care of!! It looks fantastic and I would have a hard time letting it go if I was in your shoes.

I knew in advance this truck wasn't going to get great mileage. That's OK, I'm somewhat used to it as my other truck has essentially the same motor. Like I tell folks who ask. I'm not interested in mileage as I didn't buy a Prius. (No offense to that notorious member rocking the Prius!) 🤘

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

What a fun day tinkering on this thing. After running some errands, I came home and did a quick oil change. Everyone has their favorite brands of filters and fluids, but I went with Mobil 1 fully synthetic and a K&N filter. I've used both in may past vehicles and don't have any complaints. I like the history with K&N and their origins in the off-road community and the simple fact that they incorporate a 1" nut onto the bottoms of their filters. I don't crank mine down overly tight, but it's SOOOOO much easier getting it off with a socket if needed. And yes, I prefill my filters. Always have and always will.

While underneath this thing, I was once again reminded of how clean my Silverado SS is. The bottom of this truck is just as filthy as the top of the motor was!! I've got my work cut out! 🤘

I dropped the skid plate from underneath the motor "Just because." It isn't necessary, as you can access the filter and drain with it left in place. I realized how much crap was sitting on the top side, so I wanted to clean it all out.

PXL_20231121_224512735.jpg

It doesn't look "That bad," but the gunk was about 1/4" deep in places. 😲

PXL_20231121_230156313.jpg

It took soaking this crap in Simple Green, then getting after it with a putty knife. LMAO! What a mess!

It's now a lot cleaner and grease-free. Probably picked up another 20hp just getting all this grease off the bottom of the truck! 🤣

mattyc

Reaction score
Good evening!

What a fun day tinkering on this thing. After running some errands, I came home and did a quick oil change. Everyone has their favorite brands of filters and fluids, but I went with Mobil 1 fully synthetic and a K&N filter. I've used both in may past vehicles and don't have any complaints. I like the history with K&N and their origins in the off-road community and the simple fact that they incorporate a 1" nut onto the bottoms of their filters. I don't crank mine down overly tight, but it's SOOOOO much easier getting it off with a socket if needed. And yes, I prefill my filters. Always have and always will.

While underneath this thing, I was once again reminded of how clean my Silverado SS is. The bottom of this truck is just as filthy as the top of the motor was!! I've got my work cut out! 🤘

I dropped the skid plate from underneath the motor "Just because." It isn't necessary, as you can access the filter and drain with it left in place. I realized how much crap was sitting on the top side, so I wanted to clean it all out.

View attachment 1305364

It doesn't look "That bad," but the gunk was about 1/4" deep in places. 😲

View attachment 1305365

It took soaking this crap in Simple Green, then getting after it with a putty knife. LMAO! What a mess!

It's now a lot cleaner and grease-free. Probably picked up another 20hp just getting all this grease off the bottom of the truck! 🤣
Hold on, you said "what a fun day tinkering". Did I miss something? Looks like you did an oil change and scraped a bunch of goo! You need to get out more, that isnt fun 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Hold on, you said "what a fun day tinkering". Did I miss something? Looks like you did an oil change and scraped a bunch of goo! You need to get out more, that isnt fun 🤣

I definitely have an illness! I honestly enjoy this type of stuff. I'm a home-body and love just messing around with crap in the garage. I think I inherited this gene as my Grandfather was the same way. 👍

Cooter01

Reaction score
I give it another month and this thing will be fully restored! Keep up the great work! I am with you on tinkering and cleaning, beats dealing with people.

Backlash

Reaction score
Cooter,

I wish that were the case! This thing needs a lot of new parts and a lot of TLC everywhere you look. I'm going to have to slow down a bit on this project due to work and the fast-approaching holidays. My wife is already giving me the stink-eye for spending so much time on this thing. LMAO!! 🤷🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I took a break from this project and spent the day running around L.A. with the little lady. While there, we stopped and grabbed lunch at decent little spot. If you know, you know. 😎

PXL_20231122_211557711.jpg

She is doing a local run in the morning so after lunch, we went to pick up her bib. We've got a movie date planned with the kids this afternoon, so not much of an update on this sled.

Backlash

Reaction score
We have some neighbors who enjoy music to the fullest, with multiple garage bands cranking out noise day and night throughout the week. They usually only play for short periods of time. They aren't very talented, but they are loud. So, last night, I took advantage of them and their noise to drown out the sounds of my sander and buffer. 🤣

PXL_20231122_034144987.jpg

I couldn't help myself and figured "Why not?" It's one of those pieces you really won't see, so the effort is COMPLETELY pointless. I don't care! 🤣

After about an hours time, this was the result. Getting closer!

PXL_20231122_174328047.jpg

I can hear my wife now.

"That goes on the bottom of the truck?? That's so lame! Nobody's ever going to see it anyways! Just hurry up and stop messing around with it!"

🤣👍

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Well, as luck would have it, I picked up a new "Used" truck to add to our fleet.

View attachment 1301990

I was hooked the moment I saw the color. 🥰

And no, the SS is not going up for sale unless someone offers a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Here is a short story to bring you up to speed with "What" and "Why."

This is a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD. The truck is 4WD and has the 6.0 LS with the 4L80E transmission that has reportedly been rebuilt. From what I can tell, the only thing that isn't factory in the engine bay is the intake. Other than that, it's essentially stock. The truck sounds and runs pretty damn good with the addition of a Magnaflow muffler. It isn't lifted but does have the aftermarket wheels and tires (285's). Overall, for what it is and what I want to use the truck for, it should fit the bill.

I have to say, this Silverado is NOWHERE near as clean as my SS. My Silverado SS has been babied and stored indoors majority of its life and I haven't "Abused the truck." The interior and exterior of that vehicle are in superb condition, and I've become spoiled by that.

This 1500HD has not been treated quite as nicely, but it's not in terrible condition either. There are a lot of silly things that need to be fixed or addressed, that I'll work on as I get the time.
Beautiful truck. That a keeper. I love the 6.0 engine.

Backlash

Reaction score
Beautiful truck. That a keeper. I love the 6.0 engine.
Thank you Sir!! I'm also a huge fan and I think GM nailed it with the overall designs. I hope to keep this one for quite awhile, hence the emphasis on bringing it back to it's former glory. There is a LONG list of things to do. I'll do my best to keep plugging away at it, bit by bit. Thank you for the positive vibes! 👍

hman442

Reaction score
Damn, I'm gonna have to get busy on mine. It just never occurred to me to polish my skid plates....!

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

Today was another fun-filled day messing around on this truck. I wrapped up the skid plate project and am thrilled with the end result. It turned out better than I expected and looks better than it has any right to! Before I stick that piece of artwork back up underneath the truck, I found myself cleaning more caked-on crap off this truck.

Here is a picture of how it looked before I pulled the skid plate and plastic cover below the front bumper.

PXL_20231121_210717311.jpg

The picture below is looking up towards the front cross member where the sway bar is attached to the frame. There is oil and grease everywhere. 🙄

PXL_20231127_231335533.jpg

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me! I'm going to get this undercarriage as clean as possible before I move on to other parts of the truck.

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

I messed around on this truck again this afternoon and made a little more progress. I cleaned up the plastic cover that goes below the radiator and scrubbed the bottom half of the fan shroud. I cleaned the inside frame rails in front of the motor and two of the crossmembers from the front bumper back towards the engine.

PXL_20231127_231320380.jpg

PXL_20231128_202401634.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I degreased this area and wiped everything down as best I could. I taped some areas off to try and minimize over spray then laid down a couple coats of primer.

PXL_20231128_210150958.jpg

Once those coats of primer dried, I sanded down a few runs then threw some color on the crossmembers and a short portion of the frame rails.

PXL_20231128_232519225~2.jpg

I need to touch up a few places tomorrow morning, but so far so good! Like I always say......baby steps! 🤓

Backlash

Reaction score
Everything was nice and dry this morning so I reinstalled the plastic shield with all new hardware. What a difference! It just makes the rest of the chassis look even worse! 🤣

Man I've got a LOT of work left to do on this thing!!! 😢

PXL_20231129_200847182.jpg

PXL_20231129_201013172.jpg