WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So I bought a Honda Talon...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Wife wanted a full windshield at the end of the year. We were concerned about dust build up as EVERYONE expressed this is the biggest drawback. Well things snowballed and after a substantial amount of $$$$ she got the windshield. We went with a custom unit with laminated glass. We went out last weekend for a couple of rides. First was with 6-7 cars. We were in the middle of the pack. After 6 hours in the dirt the vision was not affected one biT. I did clean it th enext morning before our ride to the Bunker Bar. That was a solo run to and from the North side of town. Again not much build up on the glass. I did bring micro fibers incase there is a need to clean in the middle of a ride. It did cut a bit of the cold and dust in the eyes. The wife still wore googles as she was a bit concerned with dust in her eyes.

The wife is happy so the money was well spent. 👍

View attachment 1308114 View attachment 1308115

Yes! Awesome. Don’t believe the myths.

Dust does not stick to the glass windshield of your car. Why would it stick to the glass windshield on your UTV?

DLC

Reaction score
I had 20 acres off Split mountain road, we rode mostly on the south side of the highway 78, ran out to superstition / San Dam A lot

there are some cool mini dunes and washes to explore

try to do some exploring so your not on all of the busy trails - people are idiots!

Be careful with beer in the car! On holidays they look for and go out of their way to get DUI’s

The off road park is heavily patrolled by the rangers, not so much on the south side.

What an awesome thread. Learning things I didn't really need to know and that's a good thing.
I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers but my take...
Ocotillo Wells / Ocotillo a few bits of my 30+ years jeeping and riding that place. Anza used to be open riding back in the day. :(

I have learned some of this the hard way.:rolleyes:;)

1. You have State Park and Federal Land. Kind of good to know where your at. East of the 86 and S. of the 78 is Feds. Stay away from homesteads.
2. Seems fun to ride through water especially in the washes. Its like riding in the salt water at Pismo except 10x more corrosive. We bring a 100 gal water tank and a pressure wash and clean that shit immediately which may be against the rules. Do so when you get home 1st thing. "Its just mud" oh OK.
3. If you have a slow moving Jeep (me) don't go cruise a 3:00 pm. As it turns out there are 10,000 Robby Gordons all in a line waiting to educate you of their distaste. They seem to wake up around 3 pm. LOL.
4. If your on the 4x4 Proving grounds side and want the Pumpkin Patch or Shell Hill learn the path around the top and avoid the cluster fuck, cant see shit, congestion.

Lastly....Riding down to the Sea's Edge....
5. Do it except...Park on hard pack and walk down and when you cant walk anymore its to late. Everywhere you step is likely false. Getting pulled out can turn into an all night affair so beware. The corrosive disaster that will ensue will be endless. Learned the hard way maybe 20 years ago.
6. Pole Line is extremely dangerous when dusted out. Some top 60+ on the road in the dust soup. The Rangers will often sit in washes and bust you so be aware of it.
Shell Hill route can be even worse especially riding into the setting sun.

Ride early morning on big weekends until about noon. Then we ride west and pick up a trail that takes us up and over S2 into Truckhaven. Likely nobody over there.
Spend the evenings enjoying the Proving grounds. Some think its stupid but I like it over there.

PlanB

Reaction score
Glass windshield on the Can Am and it's great. Left the bottom open to get a little airflow and like stated above, the dust does not really stick to it. I have glass cleaner that I use when I am getting gas but really never feel the need to constantly clean it.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Took my one shock back to SDI to get the cap replaced, the guy that built my shocks, Jason, no longer works there...the girl in front said she was off last week and when she got back this week she was told that Jason and one of the other suspension techs were no longer there....she didnt know what happened or where they went...she said their only tech now is the owner of the company and they are buried with work...they are telling me that there are no notes in their system on what the set-up on my shocks are....I am thinking they left to a competitor or maybe their own thing?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Took my one shock back to SDI to get the cap replaced, the guy that built my shocks, Jason, no longer works there...the girl in front said she was off last week and when she got back this week she was told that Jason and one of the other suspension techs were no longer there....she didnt know what happened or where they went...she said their only tech now is the owner of the company and they are buried with work...they are telling me that there are no notes in their system on what the set-up on my shocks are....I am thinking they left to a competitor or maybe their own thing?

Can you find the guy on social media, if he wend somewhere else maybe he can finish it up.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Do you have your suspension where you like it yet?

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Do you have your suspension where you like it yet?

I would say, I am 90% there....its wayyyyyyy better then the stock springs....but I think it could use a little adjustments, mainly just some fine tuning...shitty part is I specifically chose SDI because they are local and they have a booth in Ocotillo where I ride 90% of the time..and if you had their suspension they would do free adjustments, and even said they would do ride alongs to see what its doing themselves....WELL since I had my suspension done, they havent had a booth out there all season....lol, my luck...was out this weekend with just my son and I, I played around with the clickers on the shocks and got it pretty good....honestly I think its probably the best it might be for the X suspension

427816901_18420769567040913_2433207990015048311_n.jpg

pixrthis

Reaction score
I would say, I am 90% there....its wayyyyyyy better then the stock springs....but I think it could use a little adjustments, mainly just some fine tuning...shitty part is I specifically chose SDI because they are local and they have a booth in Ocotillo where I ride 90% of the time..and if you had their suspension they would do free adjustments, and even said they would do ride alongs to see what its doing themselves....WELL since I had my suspension done, they havent had a booth out there all season....lol, my luck...was out this weekend with just my son and I, I played around with the clickers on the shocks and got it pretty good....honestly I think its probably the best it might be for the X suspension

View attachment 1337125
Did they mess with valving and springs? Mine only had valving done and now I need help with springs in the rear.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
@pixrthis I forget, did you have an exhaust and tuning on your Talon? I have been a bit hesitant about doing it, just cause I dont want an obnoxiously loud car, but I ran into a guy last weekend in the desert that had a 2 seater R with the full Trinity set up and it sounded clean...so I am just now starting my research and pricing

pixrthis

Reaction score
@pixrthis I forget, did you have an exhaust and tuning on your Talon? I have been a bit hesitant about doing it, just cause I dont want an obnoxiously loud car, but I ran into a guy last weekend in the desert that had a 2 seater R with the full Trinity set up and it sounded clean...so I am just now starting my research and pricing
I haven’t done any performance mods yet. I wouldn’t mind it sounding a better but don’t want obnoxious either. Did you like the way the Trinity sounded? My daughter’s boyfriend did the tuner and said it helped in the sand. For the riding that we’re doing we don’t need a faster car but I wouldn’t mind a quicker car.
A sheriff in Mammoth stopped me because he had a Talon also and wanted to compare mods but I couldn’t offer much. He had done a turbo and was really happy with it. I like it being bullet proof so I’m dragging my feet on this stuff.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I haven’t done any performance mods yet. I wouldn’t mind it sounding a better but don’t want obnoxious either. Did you like the way the Trinity sounded? My daughter’s boyfriend did the tuner and said it helped in the sand. For the riding that we’re doing we don’t need a faster car but I wouldn’t mind a quicker car.
A sheriff in Mammoth stopped me because he had a Talon also and wanted to compare mods but I couldn’t offer much. He had done a turbo and was really happy with it. I like it being bullet proof so I’m dragging my feet on this stuff.

Yeah a turbo is not in the cards for me on this, and honestly for most of the riding (driving) I do, the power is fine...but in the sand, it could use a little more, hoping a tuner and exhaust just give it that little more it needs....I would like the rev limit raised a bit, I feel like in auto it shifts way too early, and in manual I hit the rev limit before I feel its actually ready to shift...

The Trinity sounded really good, he started up and rev'd it up some for me, and it seemed throaty but not obnoxious....

pixrthis

Reaction score
Yeah a turbo is not in the cards for me on this, and honestly for most of the riding (driving) I do, the power is fine...but in the sand, it could use a little more, hoping a tuner and exhaust just give it that little more it needs....I would like the rev limit raised a bit, I feel like in auto it shifts way too early, and in manual I hit the rev limit before I feel its actually ready to shift...

The Trinity sounded really good, he started up and rev'd it up some for me, and it seemed throaty but not obnoxious....
The Trinity seems to be the exhaust of choice for the Talon groups I read on Facebook. Will you do a full exhaust or just the silencer?

Badchoices03

Reaction score
The Trinity seems to be the exhaust of choice for the Talon groups I read on Facebook. Will you do a full exhaust or just the silencer?

I reached to PPEI yesterday about set ups, they seem to base all their tunes around the Trinity exhaust, I explained what I was hoping to achieve and asked which set up would be best...but the difference between the slip-on and full exhaust is only $250 so I am kinda leaning that way....

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I talked to PPEI yesterday, and they are right around $1900, full Trinity exhaust and PV3 Tuner with their tune. In my research I also ran across the deal below, Same exhaust, Same Tuner, comes with their tune and the larger intake tube for $1200, going to see if I can find some reviews on this setup.

exh.jpg

pixrthis

Reaction score
@Badchoices03 I took our Talon to the dealer because it popped out of reverse gear twice last weekend and found out that shift linkage/cable adjustment is normal maintenance. We’re at 1700 miles and he said we should have done it three times already so I’ll be learning to do it myself. Just passing this on because I never saw this as part of routine maintenance.