WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stereo Head Unit Advice Needed

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Boat manufacturer originally installed this head unit protector which required an 8.5” x 3.5” hole. I’d like to replace it with something more modern without having to replace the interior or using a basic single din head unit, any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Boat manufacturer originally installed this head unit protector which required an 8.5” x 3.5” hole. I’d like to replace it with something more modern without having to replace the interior or using a basic single din head unit, any thoughts?
I’ve seen some billet aluminum ones that are nice. No idea where they are sold though.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
You could have a plate made and powder coat it. Then cut out for your new head unit. Not sure what unit you are putting in but I have been very happy with the Fusion RA210.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You could have a plate made and powder coat it. Then cut out for your new head unit. Not sure what unit you are putting in but I have been very happy with the Fusion RA210.
This is the direction I would go. If you dont want to powder coat it, you could just paint it as well. Its not a part that will get a lot of wear or anything so the paint should hold up just fine.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
I resized some speaker holes in my interior with starboard. It’s basically plastic plywood for boats. Maybe not the most attractive way to do it but it’s clean enough with countersunk stainless fasteners, and I didn’t have to redo the interior panels.
92593926-6C06-438C-9479-7215F7B9F255.jpeg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
A Fusion Marine Head Unit will cover that hole without needing an adapter plate. you may or may not have to use some backing blocks for the screws to have something to grab but I've been lucky with not needing them on most

edit: this one is the one that will cover a single din bubble cover hole. AV755. depending on where your screw holes were on the old bubble cover fusion also offers an off the shelf adapter to cover holes. i believe they offer them for the smaller head units too. sorry for my memory being fuzzy with continued edits lol
20240213_094933.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_100120_Chrome.jpg

this one is the one in the posts below
Screenshot_20240212_204031_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240212_204007_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

fishing fool

Reaction score
Wired4sound does this all the time. They have plates to cover everything out there. Wrap in vinyl or powder coat, just depends on how $$$ you want to spend.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Wired for sound made me a custom upholstered blank for mine and also had some aftermarket ones in stock. I had a really big retractable marine cover on the original stereo and the aftermarket one wouldn’t fit my opening.
IMG_0228.jpeg

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Put a RA210 in the resin bucket a couple of years back. Boats so old I've changed our the unit several times. 😁 Did have a wide single DIN opening so a plate had to be made. Used a sheet of 1/4" PVC (cutting board) and milled the features.
Similar to @Dannyo
20230601_134642.jpg

Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score
A Fusion Marine Head Unit will cover that hole without needing an adapter plate. you may or may not have to use some backing blocks for the screws to have something to grab but I've been lucky with not needing them on most
Will this withstand exposure to direct Havasu sun and weather without a cover?... Ive got the OG style smoke plastic bubble cover which I cant stand looking at .. Frankly I hate having the headunit in the dash...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You know, if you guys want an acrylic adapter plate, I can cut one on our laser. The edges wouldn't be rounded or chamfered, but the corners would be rounded. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Will this withstand exposure to direct Havasu sun and weather without a cover?... Ive got the OG style smoke plastic bubble cover which I cant stand looking at .. Frankly I hate having the headunit in the dash...
Mine does. After a season or two I did buy a molded rubber cover that snaps over the head unit. But it doesn’t shut off or lag after being in direct sunlight. Maybe they should make cellphones. 😂

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

I wouldnt claim that any electronic can withstand direct sun in a desert climate, but they are very water resistant. I've seen them get splashed with more than a couple drops and not be phased at all. They are also nmea2000 compatible if you desire connectivity to other electronics.

please see edit above for correct part number. accidently posted the smaller unit initially

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Mine is simply a piece of aluminum, like 14g and has a piece also in the back to sandwich the headunit in with no exposed hardware. Highly recommend the Fusion source units, great quality and theres a lot of super bad ass features, my favorite is simply the Fusion-Link app on the phone which makes running every function via my phone vs source unit. It’s open to the elements as well under the canopy which depending upon time of day will magnify the sun, and it’s never overheated nor shut off etc. i have the screen time set however to shut off when you haven’t touched after 30 seconds, touch it however and it’ll open right up
IMG_6439.jpeg

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Lots of great feedback on the adapter plate, thank you everyone.