WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just wrapping things up… RangerCrew xp1000 Northstar Ultimate

Dr Rob

Reaction score
View attachment 1113351
We got this one about a year ago it does pretty good in the desert. I was actually surprised. We have sand cars and can am x3 and it’s not as good as the can ams but it does good. It’s nice that you don’t get dusty and it has ac.
20220715_173524.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I keep showing pictures of your build to my neighbor to piss him off 🤣. He’s got a ‘22 Trail Boss Ranger. Car looks great.

How are you liking the GMRS radio? Did you hack it to “unlock” it? I have their waterproof unit and hacked mine to run all the “regular” off-road channels.

Thank you! Ha, thats funny... you may recall the Trail Boss edition is what I was originally shopping for. Have not used the radio yet, and not familiar with what I am gonna need to do with it yet.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Thank you! Ha, thats funny... you may recall the Trail Boss edition is what I was originally shopping for. Have not used the radio yet, and not familiar with what I am gonna need to do with it yet.

The Trail Boss is a nice starter kit. He just needs doors, windsheild and roof. He wants to do the front arms and 32”s as well.

We will probably do a radio and intercom in his in the next couple months.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Cool build and my bro in law discussed him buying one his Taos NM house and we both agreed that when you get to the north star price but a Jeep wrangler instead.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So how do they compare to RZR/Can Am for Havasu/Parker terrain?

My wife loves the idea of fully enclosed, heater, and AC.

PaPaG

Reaction score

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So how do they compare to RZR/Can Am for Havasu/Parker terrain?

My wife loves the idea of fully enclosed, heater, and AC.

I have no shame, honestly, I can not mob it thru the dezert as fast as the rzr. You gotta slow down. I upgraded the suspension for strength and durability, however it can still not be compared to my rzr, it is still a utility vehicle (pig with lipstick). Pros and cons with everything... I will add, I don't feel that I have missed a beat going this route, its very functional.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Great Job Cam, I made the mistake of showing the wife your new toy and she said AIR? Heat? Low or No Dust? OK I hope this is our next toy.......Thanks lol...yours came out awesome, love the wrap and all the add-ons.

Thank you! Don't tell her about the power windows. 🤣

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The Trail Boss is a nice starter kit. He just needs doors, windsheild and roof. He wants to do the front arms and 32”s as well.

We will probably do a radio and intercom in his in the next couple months.
It never ends. I still have another trick up my sleeve next week. Not letting the cat outta the bag yet. ;)

PaPaG

Reaction score
Thank you! Don't tell her about the power windows. 🤣
I already made that mistake, she just asked again, did you look on their website yet to see what they have available? :eek: I told her I have way too many projects going on right now. She said bullshit, when has that ever stopped you from buying something...crap I knew it would catch up too me someday. 😓

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I have no shame, honestly, I can not mob it thru the dezert as fast as the rzr. You gotta slow down. I upgraded the suspension for strength and durability, however it can still not be compared to my rzr, it is still a utility vehicle (pig with lipstick). Pros and cons with everything... I will add, I don't feel that I have missed a beat going this route, its very functional.
Are we talking 50mph in a Rzr on a rutted out trail vs 10mph… or 50 vs 25?

I’m more accepting of the latter 😁

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Are we talking 50mph in a Rzr on a rutted out trail vs 10mph… or 50 vs 25?

I’m more accepting of the latter 😁

I have never been one to beat the snot outta my toys, I like to get back without incidents.

Very rare for me to even think I hit 50 in the rzr thru the havasu desert (too many rocks in the washes). On a good dirt trail, no problem. I think the RangerCrew might hit 50 on the street (but I might not know for sure since most city streets are posted as 35 ;)). Still no reason for me to mob it that fast in the havasu washes. On a good dirt road / trail it holds up fine at 30-40. On a "rutted out trail" that you mention or on what we have been dealing with in havasu after all these recent storms has been rutted and washed out rocky wash roads going over and around boulders. It slows us down to 10-20 for sure, sometimes even crawling. Our true test comes next month with a trip to Utah.

DLC

Reaction score
@throttle your rides always turn out Bitchen ! Way to much to see with a quick glance…

@the Sand Show they had quite a few of these all built up w/ portal axles running bigger tires they look AWESOME!

B7FC2084-C55C-4791-AAFE-297A65F690F6.jpeg

2Driver

Reaction score
Why would you put portals on a SXS and cluster fuck it up. You arent eliminating a center diff or anything. Simply gear for reduction for the tires, geez that’s a lot of new break points.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Why would you put portals on a SXS and cluster fuck it up. You arent eliminating a center diff or anything.Simlly gear reduction for the tires, geez that’s a lot of new break points.

Because LAM.
That is the setup for the southeast.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Why would you put portals on a SXS and cluster fuck it up. You arent eliminating a center diff or anything.Simlly gear reduction for the tires, geez that’s a lot of new break points.
I agree. In my mind, I think the portals are popular for the mud baths that they play in to the eastern states. Obviously gaining popularity here now. Surprisingly, the gear reductions actually are not that bad, however not what I was interested in.

I have followed some other builds that have used portals, they do look cool, maximizing ground clearance and accepting a tire up to a 37” (maybe bigger now). That also allows them to just cruise right over obstacles.

For industry leaders, these things seem to be show stunners. The one Rockford Fosgate built is off the hook. It’s a massive Bluetooth speaker box on wheels (Partyable). Check out another one built by HCR, it has a bbq grill that slides out onto the tailgate. Last year, I saw XTC had a nice set up at the Sand Show too. A couple more that come to mind, one from UTV Source (can am) and Rugged Radio did a build earlier this year that was very functional (no portals).

Cool Camp Cruisers or even another option as a chase type vehicle.

As manufacturers have been adding cool features and upgrading these units, they are gaining popularity without a doubt. Industry leaders in my opinion are catching on with mods now too. I wish ST would do some shocks for it.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
@throttle your rides always turn out Bitchen ! Way to much to see with a quick glance…

@the Sand Show they had quite a few of these all built up w/ portal axles running bigger tires they look AWESOME!

View attachment 1157838

Thank you!

All those builds have lots of time invested. But that’s true with everything at the show I think. Bummed I missed it.

Reactions: DLC

NicPaus

Reaction score
Thank you!

All those builds have lots of time invested. But that’s true with everything at the show I think. Bummed I missed it.
We made good use of the tickets. Thanks again!

There were the same over the top Ranger crews from last year. Few new Defenders that were built for the show. One I was told 70K invested and that was with 10k off unit and getting hooked up with majority of the stuff to show off at the show.

My Lady picked out a set of whips She wanted for our defender. Got the last set for $350 as show closed. I put a deposit on a RZR but ended up passing on it as She wants a 85k toyhauler if we get one.

DLC

Reaction score
I gotta tell you, I f****** hate mud. I don't mind the dust so much because we have AC and a closed cab but I hate cleaning up mud. I guess this comes with age lol.
Dust is easy to deal with !

MUD F’n sucks!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I loved my ranger crew.. mine mobbed with normal stock rzr’s, but when the can ams and newer rzr’s showed up I was getting left behind.

Granted mine had kings and was setup by a guy that builds off road race trucks etc.. it was comfortable AF though

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I loved my ranger crew.. mine mobbed with normal stock rzr’s, but when the can ams and newer rzr’s showed up I was getting left behind.

Granted mine had kings and was setup by a guy that builds off road race trucks etc.. it was comfortable AF though

You should get another one 😜

2Driver

Reaction score
Saw this yesterday. I like it. My guess hes into it about as much as my Gladiator.

E3991F70-9D20-405E-9824-4312D4FC5AAD.jpeg