WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell Water Level

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Lets keep this thread going then, I will be out there for the first time in my life from June 10th-June 16th... Staying at the Wahweap Marina. Bringing my 30' Hallett
I can't believe that I'm leaving the day before your first ever trip to Powell. I'll be in Wahweap on HB in slip from June 1-9. Leaving the day before you get there. Let's grab some lunch in the next couple weeks and talk Powell before you/we go.

Singleton

Reaction score
Still doesn't mean they aren't considering mid lake fuel and ice. Im going to be optimistic and say the lake is half full and they are designing a new dangling rope. 😁
The problem at DR was not the stuff you saw in water.
The facility up on land had major issues and was not being maintained (huge dispute between Aramark and government).

Best summer job I had in college was working the houseboat docks at Powell in the mid 90’s.
Some insane stories from living in the employee housing

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
The problem at DR was not the stuff you saw in water.
The facility up on land had major issues and was not being maintained (huge dispute between Aramark and government).

Best summer job I had in college was working the houseboat docks at Powell in the mid 90’s.
Some insane stories from living in the employee housing
Probably a lot like phantom ranch in the grand canyon. Haha which also is run by aramark.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Soooo, will we be able to go to Temple Bar - Lake Mead this summer?

dave29

Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned rafting on the Animas is a great experience. I bet it's cooking on the upper elevations right now.
The rafting companies are loving it. We're below Bakers Bridge in white water country. We raft at about 3500cfps so right now we're staying out. River is muddy and a few trees have floated down. The sound is great!!

Hammer

Reaction score
I can't believe that I'm leaving the day before your first ever trip to Powell. I'll be in Wahweap on HB in slip from June 1-9. Leaving the day before you get there. Let's grab some lunch in the next couple weeks and talk Powell before you/we go.
That’s a bummer! Sounds good… shoot me a text and we will set it up.

77charger

Reaction score
The website says 3,700 but my friend at Bureau of Reclamation says they do not want it above 3,660 ever again. 1983/84 was scary!
I’ve been there when it was it’s highest and at it’s lowest. 3620-3650 is where I like it. Certain features at levels in between. A couple I know need to be within 5 ft to access and have a beach. Any more you access it but no beach any less no access to get back into cove

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Stupid question, but...

Wouldn't Mead have water flowing into it same as Powell does?

Or is Meed's Only source the co river?

🤷‍♂️

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Stupid question, but...

🤷‍♂️
Yes, Mead has water flowing into it from other sources, however not the same as the snowpack above Lake Powell. Here is an un educated viewpoint of Mead’s main water source’s; the Colorado River, Virgin River and the Muddy River.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@rivermobster this past March we were in Zion and we usually hike the Narrow’s. We we unable to during that trip, the amount of water flowing had closed the Narrow’s indefinitely. The Virgin River was raging thru the canyon and down thru Springdale.

That's awesome. I camped right on the river one time. Was awesome just to chill in the pools.

It must be raging right now!!!

Did you guys take any pics you can share??

Sharky

Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned rafting on the Animas is a great experience. I bet it's cooking on the upper elevations right now.

Its hardly even started at the higher elevations. We have property that goes up to 10,500. Its just getting started. Our ranch is near Gunnison.

Old family friend owns mining property that includes 3) 14,000 foot peaks. Near Alma CO. Back side of Breckenridge/Copper Mountain. He still has 20 feet of snow and it has hardly began melting yet.

And, we have been getting rain & snow for the last 7 days. Its raining now in the metro area. Again. Has been since last week.

rrrr

Reaction score
Yes, Mead has water flowing into it from other sources, however not the same as the snowpack above Lake Powell. Here is an un educated viewpoint of Mead’s main water source’s; the Colorado River, Virgin River and the Muddy River.
The Little Colorado River joins the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. During years of significant snowpack, it contributes a good amount of water to Mead.

When I lived in Holbrook, my buddy Greg and I would hike across the desert down to the Little Colorado, it flowed from east to west a couple of miles from my house. We did this one spring morning when I was eight or nine years old.

The river was a torrent of muddy water. It wasn't deep at this location, and I decided to try and walk across. I got about ten feet from the riverbank, and the water was about to knock me over. Although young, I wasn't stupid. I turned around and went back to shore.

😁

Sharky

Reaction score
LP.JPG

Loveland Pass on US 6 at the continential divide. Looking west. An hour ago.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Stupid question, but...

🤷‍♂️
outflows from Powell have been 17,500 cfs and inflows to Mead have been around 21,500 cfs so Mead is getting around 4K cfs from other sources (rain, other rivers, etc) 👍

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
According to the chart… Wahweep main launch ramp could open this weekend. No idea if that’s the plan but hopefully before memorial weekend to keep the masses off my north ramp.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
I’m going to ride up there soon, been years since I’ve seen Powell.😎

MooreMoney

Reaction score
And increasing daily. I think up river inflow should peak around 90k cfs. About 2 feet per day
I was curious if it will get to 100k like it did in 1983. I think a hot weekend hit in 1883 and everything was melting at once.

I googled how much water is 100k flow. Interesting fact at 100k flow it would fill the superdome in 21 seconds.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Its hardly even started at the higher elevations. We have property that goes up to 10,500. Its just getting started. Our ranch is near Gunnison.

Old family friend owns mining property that includes 3) 14,000 foot peaks. Near Alma CO. Back side of Breckenridge/Copper Mountain. He still has 20 feet of snow and it has hardly began melting yet.

And, we have been getting rain & snow for the last 7 days. Its raining now in the metro area. Again. Has been since last week.
My business partner has a house in Durango up near Purgatory. He can still walk off his roof into the snow. He has had that house about 25 years. Most snow ever.

Swain

Reaction score
I was there last June and Wahweap launch ramp was around 15' before the water. I would like to see where it is now.
We had a great time still.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
My guess is 4ft, oh wait that is for Parker.
Speaking of Parker. The water is flowing there for sure. The level was the highest I have seen in some time this morning.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Oak Canyon is my go-to location.
Great access to the rest of the lake and fewer people.
Last year being the lowest level ever was tough. There was only 2 feasible spots to anchor up.

Even where I set up I had to double, end to end, the stern anchor lines to get any grip. You can see it in this pic.

It's not going to be much easier this season but there will be more choices for spots.

I have 2 large fuel tanks on the top deck that I can use to run the little boat for a week or so and then drain the rest down into the house boat tanks to get back to Wahweap.

Without Dangling Rope, it takes pretty much all the fuel I have to do it. View attachment 1231151
I love Oak Canyon! Dangling Rope is closed?