WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

18 days into our Baja camping/Scuba/Whales and wine tasting!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Randos while I have wifi
IMG_9665.jpeg
IMG_9658.jpeg
IMG_9657.jpeg
IMG_9647.jpeg
IMG_9646.jpeg
IMG_9645.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Made the trip from La Paz to La Ventana via the hwy. Then we off roaded the dirt road that follows the coast from Ventana to Los Barillas. We stop along the way for some amazing snorkeling coves. These snorkel spots have rivaled our first four tanks dives.

The blue spotted box fish were amazing!

View attachment 1341542 View attachment 1341543 View attachment 1341544 View attachment 1341545 View attachment 1341546
Bahia La Ventana brought back memories of the late 1980's, when my wife and I flew in a 1940's Cessna T-50, landing on a dirt road in a cow pasture behind the old Las Arenas Resort and spent a week fishing and diving. 👍 👍 👍

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
We drove through San Jose del Cabo and then to Cabo San Lucas. We spent about an hour at the Cabo Wabo and had two shitty margaritas and a shrimp appetizer. 70 bucks, as bad as Vegas, but we wanted to check it off the list.

We ended up on a beach with a Palapa all to ourselves south of Todas Santos. TS is a cool town and we had lunch there at a brewery. First Hazy IPA and burger in a month. Excellent!

IMG_9776.jpeg
IMG_9775.jpeg
IMG_9760.jpeg
IMG_9810.jpeg
IMG_9809.jpeg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We drove through San Jose del Cabo and then to Cabo San Lucas. We spent about an hour at the Cabo Wabo and had two shitty margaritas and a shrimp appetizer. 70 bucks, as bad as Vegas, but we wanted to check it off the list.

We ended up on a beach with a Palapa all to ourselves south of Todas Santos. TS is a cool town and we had lunch there at a brewery. First Hazy IPA and burger in a month. Excellent!

View attachment 1343961 View attachment 1343963 View attachment 1343964 View attachment 1343967 View attachment 1343968

Epic!! My favorite town in Baja is Todos Santos. It’s a rad vibe with all the colonial architecture influence and paver streets it just has that cool small beach town feel. It’s the most likely place I’ll retire to. Love the food there too.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 1343961 View attachment 1343963 View attachment 1343964 View attachment 1343967 View attachment 1343968
If its not too late drop a PIN so I can see where ya are. Great spots you are finding.....

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Never had much desire for Mexico, but I had a good friend that would stay at Todos Santos all the time and raved about it. All the pictures from their looks like yours, like having your own private beach. I could probably do that for a week or so.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
We are in Valle de Guadalupe wine tasting and getting ready to cross back into California at the tecate border.

I am blown away with the thousands of high dollar sprinter vans, unimog things and brand new flatbed slide in truck camper stuff. There are more 150k plus rigs down here than you would ever imagine!

Been a crazy trip but we throughly enjoyed it! Kinda hard to even get your head around it for having done it our first time.

cofooter

Reaction score
We are in Valle de Guadalupe wine tasting and getting ready to cross back into California at the tecate border.

I am blown away with the thousands of high dollar sprinter vans, unimog things and brand new flatbed slide in truck camper stuff. There are more 150k plus rigs down here than you would ever imagine!

Been a crazy trip but we throughly enjoyed it! Kinda hard to even get your head around it for having done it our first time.
All those big rigs winter down there and head up before Easter. Look like you had a wonderful trip, Cheers!!!! Headed down in May!!!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
FYI… I am trying to eat every last thing we can’t take north across the border AND drink 20+ plus beers because the wife has a full load of wine to declare to the customs officials. Wish me luck at 3 beers in to a long night!
IMG_1730.jpeg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek Bumping thread cause it went dead after crossing 3 weeks ago into what sounded like the Cali border.... if you get in mood to do a trip wrap up I'd enjoy learning about the pros vs cons of that long drive and what spots you'd recommend to visit as well as avoid. Hope to hear....

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Damn. Sorry I’m so late to seeing this.
This is just an awesome ride along.
THANK YOU!!!!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Trip looks incredible!
5 days in La Paz is coming to an end tommarrow morning. We did a deep clean and re-org of the camping truck. We sent all the laundry, including pillow cases and mattress sheets to the Mexican woman across the road. 90 pesos for clean dry and fold! ($5.30 US dollars)…. Last night of margaritas and seafood.

La Paz has the best food. Big portions, lots of foodie fusion.

Favorite so far was the bacon wrapped stuffed with cheese shrimp along with conch el gratin via Texas toast. $16 US dollars!

Somewhere south next… probably Los Barrilas!

View attachment 1340393
That Camarones Costa Azul looks awesome! One of my favorite Mexican sea food dishes.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek Bumping thread cause it went dead after crossing 3 weeks ago into what sounded like the Cali border.... if you get in mood to do a trip wrap up I'd enjoy learning about the pros vs cons of that long drive and what spots you'd recommend to visit as well as avoid. Hope to hear....
Day 32: that’s a wrap Mexico!!
2817 miles traveled.
31 nights.
23 truck camping.
8 staying in rooms of various shapes and sizes.
dodged 24,894 potholes.
a few field repairs needed with a little creativity and duck tape (of course!)
one blown out flip flop.
more beers and margaritas than we should count and met new friends along the way!

Great trip! Wonderful memories and so many laughs! For those that followed along, we enjoyed having you with us!

We had zero issue with police but I traveled about 50-55 mph the whole trip. Gas was expensive at 5-5.25 a gallon, but at 50 mph I did 12.5 mpg.

Favorite spots were all along the east coast from Mulegé to Cabo Pulmo.

I don’t have much negative to say. But we didn’t do any planning and just figured it out as we drove, I decided along the way I am more of a planner and wish we would have had reservations at Loreto and LaPaz… but it turned out great regardless.

Scuba Diving is better when it gets warmer… May to October. We are going to hit Guyamas this fall to validate that! We found some secret spots for snorkeling that were better than some dives we did.

Only other negative is that there is no secrets in Baja. We were always around people doing the same thing. YouTube and the internet has ruined every thing! lol

What YouTube hasn’t ruined, Starlink is ruining the rest of it.

cofooter

Reaction score
2817 miles traveled.
31 nights.
23 truck camping.
dodged 24,894 potholes.
one blown out flip flop.
more beers and margaritas than we should count and met new friends along the way!

Great trip! Wonderful memories and so many laughs! For those that followed along, we enjoyed having you with us!

We had zero issue with police but I traveled about 50-55 mph the whole trip. Gas was expensive at 5-5.25 a gallon, but at 50 mph I did 12.5 mpg.

I don’t have much negative to say. But we didn’t do any planning and just figured it out as we drove, I decided along the way I am more of a planner and wish we would have had reservations at Loreto and LaPaz… but it turned out great regardless.

Scuba Diving is better when it gets warmer… May to October. We are going to hit Guyamas this fall to validate that! We found some secret spots for snorkeling that were better than some dives we did.

Only other negative is that there is no secrets in Baja. We were always around people doing the same thing. YouTube and the internet has ruined every thing! lol

It ain't as good as it once was, but it's as good once as it ever was! Keeps me coming back, leaving Sunday for my 30 day trip down the Pacific side!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
It ain't as good as it once was, but it's as good once as it ever was! Keeps me coming back, leaving Sunday for my 30 day trip down the Pacific side!

There are pluses and minuses to everything… having lots of people around makes you feel safe at times so it is what it is…. I am just selfish and want things all to myself! Haha.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@Nanu/Nanu We are heading to the “Tah” next week to get ready for Powell season!

The Vanlife and roof top tent invasion starts in South Utah as soon as we see 70 degrees next week!

RichL

Reaction score
2817 miles traveled.
31 nights.
23 truck camping.
dodged 24,894 potholes.
one blown out flip flop.

Thanks for taking us along and for all the great pics. My one night in Mexico back in the day was nothing like your trip. Yours looks way better.
👍

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Again. Thanks for the ride.
It was an amazing trip for you all.
Jealous in many ways. 👍👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Be sure to take us along if you are a documentary type. Following.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
2817 miles traveled.
31 nights.
23 truck camping.
dodged 24,894 potholes.
one blown out flip flop.

Thanks. I'm in touch with Nathan who kinda runs Mulege' .... he tells me it gets too hot in summer there so they come up my way to enjoy cooler temps in Ensenada. I'm driving down from Rosarito 5 hours to San Quintin [Pacific side] soon just to check things out and escape my town a bit. Heard nice things about that town. Happy to hear ya missed some pot holes!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
@Nanu/Nanu We are heading to the “Tah” next week to get ready for Powell season!

The Vanlife and roof top tent invasion starts in South Utah as soon as we see 70 degrees next week!
I have been busy with projects on the boat. I should be able to get everything done before may 1. Then its smooth sailing for our season start memorial day.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in touch with Nathan who kinda runs Mulege' .... he tells me it gets too hot in summer there so they come up my way to enjoy cooler temps in Ensenada. I'm driving down from Rosarito 5 hours to San Quintin [Pacific side] soon just to check things out and escape my town a bit. Heard nice things about that town. Happy to hear ya missed some pot holes!

San Quintin is nice. It just gets warm in the summer months. Pacific side of Baja always seems cooler than Sea of Cortez side.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
San Quintin is nice. It just gets warm in the summer months. Pacific side of Baja always seems cooler than Sea of Cortez side.
Thats exactly what I'm hearing from those that know down Peninsula.... San Felipe on Cortez side not as nice as San Quintin and definitely hotter over there in summer months.

cofooter

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I'm hearing from those that know down Peninsula.... San Felipe on Cortez side not as nice as San Quintin and definitely hotter over there in summer months.
Old Mill is a cool old school place to stay and has a resturant.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

From San Quintin to TJ is pretty well populated. I found it to be pretty much the same down the Pacific side. It’s nice and cooler but not much different. I am definitely an east coast person because it’s more tropical feeling with warm water. Towns are way smaller on the east. It’s too hot for me anywhere in Baja in the summer.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I’ve stood on the beach in San Felipe last year and it was 104*. The pacific side was 20* cooler.

Summer months I would stick to the Pacific side. The Cortez side is all desert so it’s much warmer.

I think you’ll like San Quintin. It’s a relaxed town. I like a little lower south where it gets more tropical climate but each town has its own character.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Really enjoyed your posts. Thanks for taking us along. Marlin - took me years to finally realize it can be very good. We were in the mid Pacific, plenty of good food, but after a few weeks, nothing fresh. Guys caught a small marlin and decided to grill some. It was excellent. Plus, the guy cooking it knew what he was doing. Can only imagine where all those Cabo caught Marlin thru the years, most all given to the 'orphanage', may have truly ended up.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
From San Quintin to TJ is pretty well populated. I found it to be pretty much the same down the Pacific side. It’s nice and cooler but not much different. I am definitely an east coast person because it’s more tropical feeling with warm water. Towns are way smaller on the east. It’s too hot for me anywhere in Baja in the summer.
Good tip right there cause ole Fernando only runs on one of the two gas tanks. Thats around 15 gallons at maybe 10 mpg so fuel availabilities always on my mind as that drive is 165 miles for me. Looking like I can make that run on a solid tank.
San Felipe will be where I go when I need to escape our colder weather next winter for a bit. Its same distance for me as San Quintin. I agree with comments regarding temp differences from east side to west side.