WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

540 Rebuild Thread. Step by step

Teague_JR

Reaction score
I currently sit around 650hp. Hoping with a bit more compression I can get it up including torque.

You could get away with 43 lb/hr’s or 60’s.. keep in mind an injector change means a retune, you go to 60’s you will likely not be able to take enough fuel pressure out of it to get close.

wet hull

Reaction score
You could get away with 43 lb/hr’s or 60’s.. keep in mind an injector change means a retune, you go to 60’s you will likely not be able to take enough fuel pressure out of it to get close.
I need to see what's in there now. Brian in Havasu tuned it and he can hop back in and adjust. Any benefit in going 60 over the 43?

wet hull

Reaction score
Where is best place to buy injectors? Seems the ones recommended cant ship to CA due to CARB. I can always ship to Havasu and have mailed to me.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So far everything I’ve seen and bought from Deatsch Werx has been top quality.
And worse case ship here and I’ll get shipped to you.

John Taylor

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the stainless gen 3 . I had to enlarge the cut outs to 5 inches As the pipes are 4.5. I can’t recommend that company enough. Initially I didn’t think I had enough hatch clearance. Stainless offered to send me one side to check for fitment and if it did they would just send the other. If not , just send it back. At no charge .. The pipes took 2 weeks to fabricate and they fit perfectly. No trimming required. I am not affiliated with them in any way . I think imco makes a similar product as well. I bought my lower from them and they were great to deal with as well. My point to this post is to point out that all the hard earned money you are spending on your engine may be going to waste if you cork it with an inadequate exhaust. Again , I am not bashing emi. I ran it on my 502 mag mpi and it was a great replacement piece. I think the value is tremendous for what you get. I just don’t think it is made for an engine of the caliber you are putting together.

Attachments

• 408FEECD-2529-4F0B-9F9A-D9497D7E7069.jpeg
    408FEECD-2529-4F0B-9F9A-D9497D7E7069.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 114
  • B1A2D403-9639-464D-9A6A-AE5068653984.jpeg
    B1A2D403-9639-464D-9A6A-AE5068653984.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 103

wet hull

Reaction score
Finally have a update. Got motor back from machine shop Friday. It was confirmed we had a cracked valve and most likely where my oil was lost. Everything else checked out great. Had heads gone through. Valve job and new seals. Some touch up welding on water jackets from corrosion. Honed the block, polished crank and cam. I had them put crank and cam in along with new bearings, timing chain and harmonic balancer.

For my part of the job I have done following so far.

- Gapped the new rings at .026 per Bob Teague himself.
- Installed pistons and stretched the rod bolts. What a time consuming scary thing to do. It was 20ft lb higher then stated tourque to get proper stretch but confident it will hold together. Seems to be very common.
- New oil pump
- Oil pan
- Test fit heads and gaskets, will start tourque sequence tomorrow.

So excited to have it look like a motor again. I also got the new injectors from Deutchawork. Went with 80lb and damn they are nice.
20220321_184048.jpg
20220321_184056.jpg
20220321_184042.jpg
Question on pic with the tray between heads. I cleaned it up best I can. Does it really matter if it isnt perfect? Should I buy new?

Teague_JR

Reaction score
You actually dont NEED to run that tray with your intake... but I would bead blast it if you are going to run it.....

bocco

Reaction score
You actually dont NEED to run that tray with your intake... but I would bead blast it if you are going to run it.....
What is the actual purpose of that tray? There was one in my 500HP and I just put it back in. I do have a similar intake.

wet hull

Reaction score
What is the actual purpose of that tray? There was one in my 500HP and I just put it back in. I do have a similar intake.
They say its to keep heat off intake, keep lifters in place if something fails to maintain oil pressure and hopefully avoid full grenade of motor. I am keeping mine in. I wire brushed it. Sanded it then ran in parts washer for a few hours. Looks ugly but confident any contaminants are gone. Just left over pitting of metal.

wet hull

Reaction score
Getting close. Just dropped engine back in boat. If I worked by the hour on assembly I would be rich! All in I am at $6000, but I added a Imco -2 lower I scored a huge deal on. Building my 1st high HP motor was very nerve racking and still need to fire it up and hope all is well. Taking my time I am confident every bolt is clean, lubed and tourqed to exact spec. Every gasket was carefully installed. Probably rotated engine 200 times checking for scratching, knocking, rattles every step of the way. Big item I am not sure is right until fired is my rocker arm tension. I followed alot of youtube guys and seemed best way was to finger tighten rocker nuts so push rods were not having up/ down movement, rotate motor 1/4 turn, retightten and do that for 2 full rotations, then 1 half turn to seat the rod and tight allen bolt to 45 ft lb. Fingers crossed. The rest was just simple bolt on items. I did need to sand down edge of valve cover on 1 side to sit properly on gasket do to intake manifold. It must have been this way last year as I has this weird oil mist on my engine bay upholstery I could never trace and that was in this exact location of issue.
On exterior motor parts I had to realign all my pulleys. The new harmonic balancer was 1/8" narrower. Not to hard. Clamped square tube across crank pulley and then used micrometer to measure to 2nd pulley groove and shimmed appropriately. Didnt use 1st groove as leading inside edge of each pulley was slightly different.
Next up is final rigging of fuel lines, cpu, water and electrical. Few hours tops. Lastly add fluids, program ECM for new injector size amd fire it up. I am hoping in learn mode/ closed loop it will get me to run smooth enough for water test with Brian in Havasu for final tuning adjustments. 1st trip is Easter weekend amd really hoping to not be a row boat😁
20220329_141315.jpg

wet hull

Reaction score
Yesterday was it. I fired motor on Monday. Idle was good but timing was off and put her away until yesterday. Spent the morning getting timing dialed in and now she crackles like a bad bitch! All RPM ranges sounded great and all my critical parameters such as oil pressure, temp, water and so on were right were they should be. Final test will be next Friday in Havasu with motor under load for 1st time. I spoke with Brian McKay who did my tuning last year about my new injectors. He said he shouldn't need to re tune. I have the ability on my sniper dash to adjust injector size and I did that before 1st fite up. I run in closed loop and he said ECM will adjust as necessary. Fingers crossed.

In closing. Very nerve racking building a high HP motor. Kept thinking it would come apart on me on 1st fire up. Luckily time was on my side and was in no rush to get through every step before I moved on to next. My shoulders finally relaxed yesterday for 1st time.

lenmann

Reaction score
Congrats and thanks for taking us along. Post up a video of the Havasu test run.

Are you sticking around for Desert Storm or just a weekend to run her in?

wet hull

Reaction score
Congrats and thanks for taking us along. Post up a video of the Havasu test run.

Are you sticking around for Desert Storm or just a weekend to run her in?
Staying all the way through. Get my -2 lower put on Fri morning then hit the water.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yesterday was it. I fired motor on Monday. Idle was good but timing was off and put her away until yesterday. Spent the morning getting timing dialed in and now she crackles like a bad bitch! All RPM ranges sounded great and all my critical parameters such as oil pressure, temp, water and so on were right were they should be. Final test will be next Friday in Havasu with motor under load for 1st time. I spoke with Brian McKay who did my tuning last year about my new injectors. He said he shouldn't need to re tune. I have the ability on my sniper dash to adjust injector size and I did that before 1st fite up. I run in closed loop and he said ECM will adjust as necessary. Fingers crossed.

In closing. Very nerve racking building a high HP motor. Kept thinking it would come apart on me on 1st fire up. Luckily time was on my side and was in no rush to get through every step before I moved on to next. My shoulders finally relaxed yesterday for 1st time.
View attachment 1105184
View attachment 1105185
Well done

I am both envious and jealous. Wish I had that talent

wet hull

Reaction score
Soooo, how did it run??
Its been rouph. Engine is running great. During break in my dumb ass put full synthetic oil in. Ran great but ate some oil. After 1 hour of running I realized mistake and swapped to Kendal 20w50 standard oil. Immediately started smoking like a 2 stroke. Equal out of both pipes. Ok, rings not set yet. Needs more break in time and wash cylinder walls of synthetic oil. I then lose my high end aeromotive fuel pump. Get that fixed to continue break in. Lose my 2nd aeromotive fuel pump. Me and Nyanga have compared our shitty situation with these garbage pumps. Got a temp pump in and ran for a bit. Still eating oil but improving. My new Weldon pump just arrived. Goes in Jun 7th and will run it long and hard. Hopefully rings will bite. If not, she comes home. Will tear down and re ring. Such a crappy situation and really afraid motor is jacked. Motor does run amazing but very worried its a rebuild. Fingers crossed!!

OC Mike

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all these aeromotive pump issues.
With the thousands of Blue motors running them, mine being one of them, has me concerned.

wet hull

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all these aeromotive pump issues.
With the thousands of Blue motors running them, mine being one of them, has me concerned.
Its been very frustrating. Not supposed to idle a motor on break in and yet had no choice with fuel pump issues to get back to trailer. Really hoping I can set the rings. The Aeromotive pump is very concerning. I am going to pull the 1st apart today and see if it matches Nyanga same issues internally. With mine, when working right they have a very distinct sound when they prime. On both failures you heard a change and went from 45psi down to 2psi.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Just an FYI. Way, way back in the day I bought a new 280z, rings didn't seat, burned a quart every 6-800 miles.
Dealer wanted to try something. Put in Kendall GT1, 20/50. Rings seated.
Used the Kendall from then on, drove it for 80k+ miles.
My Blue motor lists Kendall GT1 as the oil of preference.

The idling with the bad pump certainly didn't help things.
Just a note to throw this out and confuse things, there are break in oils out there.
Royal Purple is one..https://www.royalpurple.com/product/engine-break-in-oil/

Keep us informed....

wet hull

Reaction score
Just an FYI. Way, way back in the day I bought a new 280z, rings didn't seat, burned a quart every 6-800 miles.
Dealer wanted to try something. Put in Kendall GT1, 20/50. Rings seated.
Used the Kendall from then on, drove it for 80k+ miles.
My Blue motor lists Kendall GT1 as the oil of preference.

The idling with the bad pump certainly didn't help things.
Just a note to throw this out and confuse things, there are break in oils out there.
Royal Purple is one..https://www.royalpurple.com/product/engine-break-in-oil/

Keep us informed....
Will definitely update. After the full synthetic which was a 5w20. I now have the Kendall 20w50 in there and thats when the bad smoking started. I am going to pull it out and run break in oil. Its a SAE 30 mineral oil by Lucas. I checked Total Seal rings website and thats what they recommend. Wish I had looked prior to synthetic. Feel like a surgeon who did everything perfectly and then left my tools in the patient. Total defeat. Fingers crossed with variations of RPM, creating heat and backpressure on the pistons I can wear them in. Some research said to also pull spark plugs. Put about 5ml of injector cleaner in and let soak over night to help wash oil off walls. Then rotate it over a few turns to blow it out, reinstall spark plugs and give it a go. I will try any and everything.

wet hull

Reaction score
Any updates?
Not a ton but it wasnt good. Full story on my smoking issue in other thread. For a update to that thread, Todds machine in Havasu found on inspection of my block that original machine shop never cleaned my block properly and debris were found which scratched my new bearings and they somehow cracked both sides of my #4 main on block. Block is trash. My mechanic had another block that is at Todds machine getting ready for my rebuild. Now just need to figure out how to approach original machine shop. I have no more then a few hours on this rebuild and it was all troubleshooting the smoking issue. I never overheated motor during troubleshooting, never ran it hard. Just a shit situation all around. Really want a whacker boat now.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Im
Not a ton but it wasnt good. Full story on my smoking issue in other thread. For a update to that thread, Todds machine in Havasu found on inspection of my block that original machine shop never cleaned my block properly and debris were found which scratched my new bearings and they somehow cracked both sides of my #4 main on block. Block is trash. My mechanic had another block that is at Todds machine getting ready for my rebuild. Now just need to figure out how to approach original machine shop. I have no more then a few hours on this rebuild and it was all troubleshooting the smoking issue. I never overheated motor during troubleshooting, never ran it hard. Just a shit situation all around. Really want a whacker boat now.
I’m getting Merlin blocks from bill Mitchell if you need anything
My cost is your cost

Todd

wet hull

Reaction score
Im

I’m getting Merlin blocks from bill Mitchell if you need anything
My cost is your cost

Todd
Thats great. I will hopefully know if this block my mechanic had is good to go by tomorrow. What is your typical cost on a Gen IV standard deck with 4.5 bore?

Goodtime$

Reaction score
I got a Gen 6 Merlin 111 coming $2500 delivered - for a 509 build

Goodtime$

Reaction score
You like the Merlin over the Dart Big M?
Merlin is for a customer
Good value vs a Gm performance block
Building a basic 509 single carb for dude

Dart big m is the big dog. I got one that needed a sleeve. Heavy iron block

wet hull

Reaction score
Update: My nightmare is now over. Major thanks to FlatTops Marine, Brian Mkcay for final tune yesterday.

My engine is done and back in the boat. I cant thank the team at FlatTops enough. He knew how bad of a spot I was in. I have been a loyal customer for 16 years and will always be. He handled everything from figuring out what went wrong to full rebuild and lake test, break in.

Big thanks to Brian McKay. He originally tuned my engine last year, helped troubleshoot my issue prior to rebuild this year and ultimately final tune on rebuild yesterday.

Unfortunately they didnt get me any video of it running. I do know that it was still pulling hard at 5300 rpm and sounded very strong. I am so happy right now. Cant wait to get out in next few weeks and run it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Update: My nightmare is now over. Major thanks to FlatTops Marine, Brian Mkcay for final tune yesterday.

My engine is done and back in the boat. I cant thank the team at FlatTops enough. He knew how bad of a spot I was in. I have been a loyal customer for 16 years and will always be. He handled everything from figuring out what went wrong to full rebuild and lake test, break in.

Big thanks to Brian McKay. He originally tuned my engine last year, helped troubleshoot my issue prior to rebuild this year and ultimately final tune on rebuild yesterday.

Unfortunately they didnt get me any video of it running. I do know that it was still pulling hard at 5300 rpm and sounded very strong. I am so happy right now. Cant wait to get out in next few weeks and run it.
Awesome. Kris is a good guy.