WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Americas Great loop - Anyone on here completed it?

BigQ

Reaction score
I learned about this boating loop (6000 miles trip) from a guy at work and have been looking into it since. Thinking it may be a great adventure for a first year retirement. I believe a lot more training would be involved before attempting it though. I'm curious if anyone on the forum has done it and how it went and would you advise for or against.

Tank

Reaction score
There was a thread on here of a couple that did the other loop. Down the west coast the through Panama Canal and up to Florida. The thread was EPIC great photos and stories.

I’ve talked about doing it someday. I think it would be awesome! Takes like 6 months I believe right? Would be hella cool. But I’d wanna boat with twins and something pretty freakin roomy.

****edit*** found the thread. Carve out some time to read this thread. Great read. Not the same loop but same concept. I’m sure @stoker could provide some invaluable info. I believe he was going to do the American great loop as well.

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Haven't done the great loop YET.
We did the entire 1000 miles of the Ohio River from the Mississippi River to Pittsburgh PA in our 25 Daytona. If you have an opportunity to do anything like that MAKE IT HAPPEN. It's life changing

stoker

Reaction score
There was a thread on here of a couple that did the other loop. Down the west coast the through Panama Canal and up to Florida. The thread was EPIC great photos and stories.

I’ve talked about doing it someday. I think it would be awesome! Takes like 6 months I believe right? Would be hella cool. But I’d wanna boat with twins and something pretty freakin roomy.

****edit*** found the thread. Carve out some time to read this thread. Great read. Not the same loop but same concept. I’m sure @stoker could provide some invaluable info. I believe he was going to do the American great loop as well.

That was me and the wife. Left from San Diego, through the canal and up as far as Long Island. Ended up back down in Miami where we sold the boat, bought a car and drove back home to California. The whole trip took 3 years. We probably covered 15,000 plus miles at 6-7 miles an hour.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
That was me and the wife. Left from San Diego, through the canal and up as far as Long Island. Ended up back down in Miami where we sold the boat, bought a car and drove back home to California. The whole trip took 3 years. We probably covered 15,000 plus miles at 6-7 miles an hour.
BADASS

4Waters

Reaction score

Just read that thread again, it was an epic story and trip

4Waters

Reaction score
So did you ever get another boat?

stoker

Reaction score
So did you ever get another boat?
Just a couple of small boats that I used on our lake. During our travels we really liked Florida so we ended up in Palm Coast just below Jacksonville. We are on the water close to the ICW so we see loopers every time we are out. Just met this guy a couple of weeks ago.

BigQ

Reaction score

That west coast loop is a crazy trip, not sure I would tackle that. From what i read some take a year to do the eastern loop depending on the speed and duration spent exploring.

BigQ

Reaction score
That was a good read, you must be a very calm guy to deal with some of that.

Roosky01

Reaction score
This exact topic has consumed a lot of my valuable alone time while sitting on the throne over the past 6 months or so... ;)

gqchris

Reaction score
Its a dream of mine. Probably will never happen anytime soon now with my daughter. But I always think about it and hope!

Tank

Reaction score
Just a couple of small boats that I used on our lake. During our travels we really liked Florida so we ended up in Palm Coast just below Jacksonville. We are on the water close to the ICW so we see loopers every time we are out. Just met this guy a couple of weeks ago.
Seems like an interesting guy. I like his urban exploring. Dig that stuff. Old abandoned places and their history have fascinated me since I was a child. What happened? Where’d they go? What did it look like new? Where are the old owners now?

NIKAL

Reaction score
You met Brenton Netz? Cool! What was your opinion of him? I’ve been following his channel for a few years, since he did his first “Shanty boat” trip from Minnesota to Florida. Now he’s doing the full Loop on his new “Shanty Boat” he built over the past couple years. Brenton & I have talked via email a few times and he seems like a nice guy. Interesting simple life style, and seems genuine.

Here is the first episode of his Great Loop trip. He’s been on it for 6-7 months now and releases a new episode about once a week. It’s probably my favorite adventure that I’m following. I’d love to try it, just don’t know if my lifestyle pace could slow down enough to do it and enjoy it.

For those interested Brenton does all this on a very minimal budget.