WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

..,Anybody Ever Seen One Of These???.,.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…1989 VW Syncro 4x4 Single Cab Pickup…

…A longtime friend dropped by today…Gary Emory…Porsche Parts Obsolete and Emory Motor Sports…
… He said… I got a new car… When he says that you never know what you’re going to get???…
…We caught up for a while…Then I finally got up and said…Lets see what this new vehicle is… I walked out and had to blink a few times… I had no idea what I was looking at…Gary said these were only exported to Sweden… I don’t know whether he meant just the single cab versions or the crew cab versions as well???…
… All I know is it looks like fun🤷🏽‍♀️
0CAE1691-A472-44B8-BD53-C3AED8B42D48.jpeg
94979157-BC85-4E92-952C-7DE215CAFC0B.jpeg
63CCEFEF-41FB-44E0-9866-ED3D4EA4FBE5.jpeg
36405758-11AC-4A5A-BBF1-FBF291AEE856.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very cool! I'd thought they were built and used in Brazil as well. It would be fun to have up here.

4Waters

Reaction score
…1989 VW Syncro 4x4 Single Cab Pickup…

…A longtime friend dropped by today…Gary Emory…Porsche Parts Obsolete and Emory Motor Sports…
… He said… I got a new car… When he says that you never know what you’re going to get???…
…We caught up for a while…Then I finally got up and said…Lets see what this new vehicle is… I walked out and had to blink a few times… I had no idea what I was looking at…Gary said these were only exported to Sweden… I don’t know whether he meant just the single cab versions or the crew cab versions as well???…
… All I know is it looks like fun🤷🏽‍♀️
View attachment 1299512 View attachment 1299513 View attachment 1299514 View attachment 1299515
I've seen one once recently, hell it could have been that one.

Guy in HS had one of these. A VW Rabbit P/U

maxresdefault.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Very cool! I'd thought they were built and used in Brazil as well. It would be fun to have up here.
… I have no idea if they were manufactured in or exported to Brazil also… Gary doesn’t know all that much about them so far either???…It was a gift from what I would call…a pretty good friend😇… The first time he drove it was today from his shop Emory Motorsports to my house may be three or 4 miles…

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I've seen one once recently, hell it could have been that one.

Guy in HS had one of these. A VW Rabbit P/U

View attachment 1299519
… When I lived aboard, Gary Emory would drive one of those from his Porsche Parts Obsolete shop in Costa Mesa up to the LA harbor… are those rare???… I didn’t think too much about it at the time???.., all I remember Gary saying about it was…it wasn’t his it belong to Dwayne???…

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
… When I lived aboard, Gary Emory would drive one of those from his Porsche Parts Obsolete shop in Costa Mesa up to the LA harbor… are those rare???… I didn’t think too much about it at the time???.., all I remember Gary saying about it was…it wasn’t his it belong to Dwayne?!?..,
I don't know if they're rare but I've only seen a few over the years. Same guy had one of these as well.

a3tkofyo25901.jpg

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I feel like I just saw one at Pomona last month. Any chance he was there with it?
I'm going to check my pics.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I feel like I just saw one at Pomona last month. Any chance he was there with it?
I'm going to check my pics.
… If it was at Pomona… It wouldn’t have been with Gary driving it… And I don’t know how long it was at his sons shop before Gary got down here from Oregon🤷🏽‍♀️..,So???.,,

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I don't know if they're rare but I've only seen a few over the years. Same guy had one of these as well.

View attachment 1299520
… Why do I think those Morris Minor pickups were common in the 60s… Maybe I’m wrong???… I know the wagons and two door sedan’s were common… I had a ‘60 convertible.,. I paid $15 for it 😳…The sedans were hippie, chick cars…well hippie chicks, who had a tiny bit of money.💕

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
…Wait a minute???… I think that’s a VW Syncro pick up right next to the black VW convert???… Syncro means it’s a 4x4…I think???…

That IS the Syncro in the background right next to the vert. That's the one I was asking if it was your buddies. I didn't get a direct pic of it, I was too busy trying not to drool on the vert.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
That IS the Syncro in the background right next to the vert. That's the one I was asking if it was your buddies. I didn't get a direct pic of it, I was too busy trying not to drool on the vert.
… Definately not Gary’s synchro… Gary has a tent apparatus that he is going to put on his. I would explain it, but I really didn’t understand how he said it will work…🤷🏽‍♀️
… The black vert is beautiful, right hand drive, kind of rare…Black with red interior… I would’ve done something different with the wheels… But from what Gary has told me those wheels are worth some big bucks???…

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
If these two are not the same vehicle then there's an extremely unlikely coincidence occuring.

Both have identical wheel/tire combos with the front right missing a chrome lug nut and the tire is oriented exactly the same on the wheel of each as it pertains to the missing lug.

Survey says... A match. 😁

Screenshot_20231108-013740.png
Screenshot_20231108-013718.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If these two are not the same vehicle then there's an extremely unlikely coincidence occuring.

Both have identical wheel/tire combos with the front right missing a chrome lug nut and the tire is oriented exactly the same on the wheel of each as it pertains to the missing lug.

Survey says... A match. 😁

View attachment 1299526 View attachment 1299527

Good eye.. lol. I’d guess that is the tent thing on it at the car show.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
… The black vert is beautiful, right hand drive, kind of rare…Black with red interior… I would’ve done something different with the wheels… But from what Gary has told me those wheels are worth some big bucks???…
if those are true 4.5" Porsche Fuchs up front without the "heart" ground down--then yes they are expensive. I bought a set 15 years ago for $2000 and shipped them to HI for my Uncles builds. They have only gotten more expensive since then. Saw someone selling each wheel for $2000 now.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Friend had one that he bought brand new. They were sold by local VW dealers. Oddly enough, you don't see them on the road now a days. I had a 1985 turbo diesel Cherokee Chief manual 5spd with a 2.1 Renault engine. Great unit, delivering excellent MPG, 500 miles on a tank. Sold it to someone taking it to South America, where small diesels were in demand. Maybe these VW trucks ended up down there too, hence there is a rare chance of seeing one.

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The late model single cab transporters went to Canada as well, I guy I used to work for had a few of the OG first gen Transporters (single and double cabs) as well as the later 80's/90's water cooled versions of both single and double.

Really rare for them to be Syncros. Your buddy scored!

Markus

Reaction score
guy I used to work for had a few of the OG first gen Transporters (single and double cabs)
You mean the one based on the Type 1? Like the hippie van, but with a truck bed?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
The hit ticket for the synchros buses is to do a suburu conversion to them, big bucks if you can find one. Never seen a syncro cab over, very cool.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…I could be wrong…but I don’t think this one has had the Suburu conversion???… I asked Gary if it was water, cooled or air cooled… And he said it was water cooled…and in the rear…sounded like a 4 cyl…