WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barron 290

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Started another one this past weekend.

London Fog running surface and pinstripes.
64CCA838-EE79-4F14-B850-4DF3C24DBED3.jpeg

Masked and ready for more color the green exposed area will be Flame Orange with HOK gold Ice Pearl.
80224602-675B-4E85-911F-7836D68A8EC9.jpeg

After the orange this area will be silver metallic.
1E57189A-D345-4324-86F1-E51FC094F02A.jpeg

And after that this last area is charcoal with some white HOK Ice.
2EB73943-7784-4034-803B-661CB4E2AA92.jpeg

Will be doing the deck this coming weekend, I’ll post more pics next week.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
thank you for the specific detail on the steps, and the names of the pearls and House of Kolor gels going on. Photos will never do them justice, but helps understand all the complexity that goes into it, which I love so much.

lenmann

Reaction score
@Gelcoater what's the magic formula for knowing when to pull the tape? If you pull too soon the just sprayed color droops and bleeds into the unmasked area, if you pull too late after the gel starts to kick the tape tears and peels the just sprayed color. I tried shooting some stripes on a little project recently and spent more time sanding off gelcoat screw ups than spraying. Finally gave up and sent it to a pro.

I know, I know, it's probably a trade secret, but I had to ask.

Thanks for posting up the technical stuff, I always dig seeing how it's done.

Backlash

Reaction score
^^^^

@lenmann I'm only laughing because after seeing your Schiada restoration, I'm shocked you had any trouble whatsoever!!! With every post you added in that build thread, I kept saying "Damn! This guy's good!" 👍

lenmann

Reaction score
^^^^

@lenmann I'm only laughing because after seeing your Schiada restoration, I'm shocked you had any trouble whatsoever!!! With every post you added in that build thread, I kept saying "Damn! This guy's good!" 👍
Yeah, well gelcoat humbled me. I have two toned, striped, and flamed a dozen cars with paint and no problemo.

Fuck gelcoat.

IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3257.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
Yeah, well gelcoat humbled me. I have two toned, striped, and flamed a dozen cars with paint and no problemo.

Fuck gelcoat.

View attachment 1329072 View attachment 1329073

Looks like a hatch for your bitchen boat. 👍

Gelcoat is definitely an art and I'm sure it takes years to learn and to be proficient. I see these guys doing repairs out of the mold and I'm blown away with how they're able to blend the colors and clear to perfection. It's amazing what they're capable of. Masters of their craft for sure!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
@Gelcoater what's the magic formula for knowing when to pull the tape? If you pull too soon the just sprayed color droops and bleeds into the unmasked area, if you pull too late after the gel starts to kick the tape tears and peels the just sprayed color. I tried shooting some stripes on a little project recently and spent more time sanding off gelcoat screw ups than spraying. Finally gave up and sent it to a pro.

I know, I know, it's probably a trade secret, but I had to ask.

Thanks for posting up the technical stuff, I always dig seeing how it's done.

Fuck gelcoat.

View attachment 1329072 View attachment 1329073
Lol!!!!
I’m going to make a couple of assumptions here.
It was hot outside when you did this.
And you either had a can of gel without gel rimes printed, or didn’t read the fine print.
I pulled this pic from my library.
32C8B863-809B-4331-A68A-83DC762F7161.jpeg

Is labeled as 18.5 minutes geltime.
The fine print above the Jet Black name tells us that at 77 degrees you have 18 minutes.
As the temps rise that time frame shrinks.

Now, this is the slow stuff.
If it doesn’t call out a gel time, in big bold print like this can, that fine print will read basically the same, but state do not mix more than you can apply in 8 minutes at the same 77 degrees.
Hotter temps and that 8 minute window shrinks.
I’m going to assume you had 8 minute shit😂

Gelcoater

Reaction score
62B0B3B2-B4C8-42B7-9316-FAD7768025A5.jpeg

Frost on the propane bottle.
I used most of that 5.

Jerry’s Booth is rad in it has doors.
After shooting color
I can close the doors, turn on the heater and let the warm build up.

The heater is a little small to warm this booth, it’s over 40 foot long and has high ceilings.
It managed to get me to almost 70.

lenmann

Reaction score
Lol!!!!
I’m going to make a couple of assumptions here.
It was hot outside when you did this.
And you either had a can of gel without gel rimes printed, or didn’t read the fine print.
I pulled this pic from my library.
View attachment 1338170

Is labeled as 18.5 minutes geltime.
The fine print above the Jet Black name tells us that at 77 degrees you have 18 minutes.
As the temps rise that time frame shrinks.

Now, this is the slow stuff.
If it doesn’t call out a gel time, in big bold print like this can, that fine print will read basically the same, but state do not mix more than you can apply in 8 minutes at the same 77 degrees.
Hotter temps and that 8 minute window shrinks.
I’m going to assume you had 8 minute shit😂

Some more info:

Temp in the shop was right at 65 degrees, parts and materials were 65 as well. I did roll the hatch outside to spray as I don't have a booth and it was 60 degrees outside. The hatch was outside only as long as it took to get to 20-25 mils of thickness, 12 ish minutes tops. First coat was light, a couple of minutes to flash off, and then full coats. I used 3m fine line tape, double masked, and scuffed the tape with scotch bright before shooting.

I used only Dura-kote Marine gelcoat and catalyst at 2%. I don't have any pics of the cans as they went with the hatch to the gelcoat shop so I cant say specifically what the gel times are. If I recall correctly they ranged from 16-18 minutes depending on color. I also added 25% Duratec Clear additive to improve spreadability, get air inhibition and full cure. The materials were all purchased in December of last year.

Admittedly I didn't pay close attention to the gel time after I sprayed as I expected with the lower temps in the shop I would have a little extra time. I was using a "finger test" to determine if the gel was ready: if it stuck to my finger and was wet or created "strings" it was too soon. Once it didn't string I started pulling tape.

As seen in the pics when I pulled the tape the gel slid off the tape and fell into the 1/4" pin that was supposed to be sprayed next.

So did I pull the tape too late?

I appreciate any feedback you can give.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Some more info:

Temp in the shop was right at 65 degrees, parts and materials were 65 as well. I did roll the hatch outside to spray as I don't have a booth and it was 60 degrees outside. The hatch was outside only as long as it took to get to 20-25 mils of thickness, 12 ish minutes tops. First coat was light, a couple of minutes to flash off, and then full coats. I used 3m fine line tape, double masked, and scuffed the tape with scotch bright before shooting.

I used only Dura-kote Marine gelcoat and catalyst at 2%. I don't have any pics of the cans as they went with the hatch to the gelcoat shop so I cant say specifically what the gel times are. If I recall correctly they ranged from 16-18 minutes depending on color. I also added 25% Duratec Clear additive to improve spreadability, get air inhibition and full cure. The materials were all purchased in December of last year.

Admittedly I didn't pay close attention to the gel time after I sprayed as I expected with the lower temps in the shop I would have a little extra time. I was using a "finger test" to determine if the gel was ready: if it stuck to my finger and was wet or created "strings" it was too soon. Once it didn't string I started pulling tape.

As seen in the pics when I pulled the tape the gel slid off the tape and fell into the 1/4" pin that was supposed to be sprayed next.

So did I pull the tape too late?

I appreciate any feedback you can give.
You pulled it too late

The string test👍
If I touch it and see strings I need my tape off, pronto.
Those strings tell me it’s crosslinking and ina few minutes it will be solid.

I do the tweezer test, especially on vertical surface.

Here, it’s too soon.
42D8DD6E-89BE-41CF-9DCB-5B7F2F2F3FD2.jpeg

Dragging the tweezer along the tape the gel sagged back into itself.

A minute later
C10B2B92-A91D-4782-BDCA-70F1B594051F.jpeg

It hung.
And I pulled the tape.

The tweezer pulls a 1/32 or less line, if that doesn’t sag your line is safe to pull.

lenmann

Reaction score
You pulled it too late

The string test👍
If I touch it and see strings I need my tape off, pronto.
Those strings tell me it’s crosslinking and ina few minutes it will be solid.

I do the tweezer test, especially on vertical surface.

Here, it’s too soon.
View attachment 1338784
Dragging the tweezer along the tape the gel sagged back into itself.

A minute later
View attachment 1338785
It hung.
And I pulled the tape.

The tweezer pulls a 1/32 or less line, if that doesn’t sag your line is safe to pull.
Thanks for the feedback. I have to imagine on a full hull you have to haul ass getting the tape off if the window is so short.

This one kicked my ass and I punted it to a pro because I was on a deadline to the upholstery shop. With the info you shared I feel better equipped to give a shot again if the opportunity pops up.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I know this subform is dead, but can somebody post completed pics?
I saw it today.
It’s not a customer build, is for stock.
Pretty sure it is set up for Mercury power.

Some of the wiring and pre rig is in, front and rear cap is done.
Some pics. Hard to get good shots of it as it’s mostly covered in protective plastic.
F650EAFB-1150-48CB-BCFE-26DDA0D3FB70.jpeg

4B3B8719-761C-4093-BAA9-43316EB44F43.jpeg
27DAA90D-5BC8-4A7F-A801-C796F12256BF.jpeg

A9F8A974-BA10-40EB-B26C-69198DF25DE2.jpeg

Before anyone asks? I don’t know how much this boat would cost, but I’d guess about $60K less than one from the big E.

I did ask the question, how long?
If someone strokes the check tomorrow how long before this boat is behind their truck?
5 weeks or less.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I saw it today.
It’s not a customer build, is for stock.
Pretty sure it is set up for Mercury power.

Some of the wiring and pre rig is in, front and rear cap is done.
Some pics. Hard to get good shots of it as it’s mostly covered in protective plastic.
View attachment 1407013
View attachment 1407014 View attachment 1407015
View attachment 1407017

Before anyone asks? I don’t know how much this boat would cost, but I’d guess about $60K less than one from the big E.

I did ask the question, how long?
If someone strokes the check tomorrow how long before this boat is behind their truck?
5 weeks or less.
Any updated info on the CC they where working on?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Any updated info on the CC they where working on?
I didn’t ask.
Od assume you’re asking about the bigger one. There’s a smaller one too, about 20ft, but serious entry. Ocean worthy for sure.

Looks like mostly doing refurbs, service work and repowers.
They did one of their 19 jet boat with a custom 500+ CID/Hp deal.
Beginning of the year they did a Hallett cruiser repower with the Ford Coyote engine package Indmar offers. I’m told it really woke the boat up vs the 460 was in it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I didn’t ask.
Od assume you’re asking about the bigger one. There’s a smaller one too, about 20ft, but serious entry. Ocean worthy for sure.

Looks like mostly doing refurbs, service work and repowers.
They did one of their 19 jet boat with a custom 500+ CID/Hp deal.
Beginning of the year they did a Hallett cruiser repower with the Ford Coyote engine package Indmar offers. I’m told it really woke the boat up vs the 460 was in it.
Yes, it was the bigger one. The lines onthe rendering looked great and I know they started the molds then it died off. I'm sure its about cash flow and need to work on things than make the money...

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yes, it was the bigger one. The lines onthe rendering looked great and I know they started the molds then it died off. I'm sure its about cash flow and need to work on things than make the money...
I’m 100% sure there is a hull in the mold, but the deck molds weren’t complete.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I was really close to pulling the trigger on a 290 with Jerry in 2021. Having had my Hallet 260, I wanted to see what Jerry had to offer. I really like the lines on the boat and Jerry was cool to talk with. I could not find any feedback on how the boat handled since I would have had one of the first few on the water. I got scared and went with Shockwave... Since then, I see they have made some nice improvements on the hardware used and some changes on a few things. Definitely a great looking boat.
IMG_E1422.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

Did you gel these two as well?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I was really close to pulling the trigger on a 290 with Jerry in 2021. Having had my Hallet 260, I wanted to see what Jerry had to offer. I really like the lines on the boat and Jerry was cool to talk with. I could not find any feedback on how the boat handled since I would have had one of the first few on the water. I got scared and went with Shockwave... Since then, I see they have made some nice improvements on the hardware used and some changes on a few things. Definitely a great looking boat.
View attachment 1407047
View attachment 1407050

Did you gel these two as well?
I did👍

I believe I’ve done all but one of the 290s.
The one I didn’t do was done by David Holland, the guy that shot your Shockwave👍
My ankle was the size of a football at the time😂