WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bent Prop Shaft

phdover

Reaction score
At the end of last season. I bent the prop and shaft on my boat. I was able to pull the prop with no issues and have had if repaired. I pulled the bolts from the collar that joins the shaft to the v-drive and was able to separate them about in inch. But now I cannot get the prop shaft to budge any farther. It acts like it is bound up in the strut. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the shaft pulled from the boat? Do I remove the whole strut or what? I am fairly mechanical and have been trying to do as much service to the boat myself. I have been in three or four area shops and no one seems interested in helping or even looking at it for me. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Are you saying that the shaft is completely out of the coupler or is just an inch away from the V drive shaft ? Do you have a picture of your coupler ?

santos4racing

Reaction score
Go on the safe side, pull everything, inspect/ replace and reinstall.. Good luck, Kent

scott4878

Reaction score
If it's a 1" prop shaft a dumbbell weight will fit over the shaft ( if 1 1/8" you may need to bore the hole bigger) drop the rutter out put the dumbbell on the shaft with a washer and nut use the the dumbbell as a slide hammer to remove the shaft make sure to replace prop bearings in the strut.

This method can also be used to remove a prop that's stuck on the shaft prop and shaft remover together dumbbell installed over v drive end with spacer prop end of shaft on a block of wood on the ground slide hammer prop off shaft

Scott

scott4878

Reaction score
I used the term dumbell weight it should be barbell weight. Scott

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Based on your notes it doesn't seem likely you have a bent shaft because it only moves an inch out of the collar; most shafts bend either mid-length (impact) or aft of the strut from twist. This is a guess however I've seen it before; rust/debris build-up inside the strut MAY be hampering the shaft removal. That said depending on what shaft diameter you have, take a steel split collar or two (the thicker the better) and secure it to the shaft about an inch or so BEFORE the strut. You will use this as a mallet strike point to drive the shaft out of the strut. If you have fiber strut bushings they will easily come out with the shaft. If you have the rubber/bronze bushings they'll stay in the strut unless moderate heat is applied. Either way, strut bushing replacement will be mandatory anyway so this removal method should yield some sort of results or findings. Once things start to move use plenty of lubricant and take your time. Once out, be sure to measure the shaft diameter where it has been contacting the bushings; if it's been in the boat for a significant amount of time, shaft replacement may be necessary.
hope it helps, G'luk.

Denny

Flyman

Reaction score
At the end of last season. I bent the prop and shaft on my boat. I was able to pull the prop with no issues and have had if repaired. I pulled the bolts from the collar that joins the shaft to the v-drive and was able to separate them about in inch. But now I cannot get the prop shaft to budge any farther. It acts like it is bound up in the strut. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the shaft pulled from the boat? Do I remove the whole strut or what? I am fairly mechanical and have been trying to do as much service to the boat myself. I have been in three or four area shops and no one seems interested in helping or even looking at it for me. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
My 1" shaft has a collar just in front of the rear racing strut, has to be loosened and the shaft slides out with the rudder removed. If your boat is a 1958 Rocket mars model that I see in your pic, I have the same boat.

Flyman

Reaction score
My 1" shaft has a collar just in front of the rear racing strut, has to be loosened and the shaft slides out with the rudder removed. If your boat is a 1958 Rocket mars model that I see in your pic, I have the same boat.

Attachments

• 20200302_140536.jpg
    20200302_140536.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 224