WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a LED sign truck from scratch..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The era that those gennies were made used a synthetic rubber hose wrapped with a fabric for the fuel return off the injectors and all the way to the fuel tank. Those generators sat for long periods of time without running (low hours vs age) and the lines break down and leak once you start running them through regular heat cycles. Cheap to replace and much easier now since the panels have to come off around the fuel tank to get it all. Just order some high quality marine rated hose to replace it with. I have three of them and I have set up a couple more for friends and three of them leaked after a few heat and cool cycles.

They are however the best generators of that size I have ever seen and I work on all of them from 10k to 4000K.

Why would the panels have to come off? I’m going to look into replacing it this weekend.

RD

Romans9

Reaction score
Why would the panels have to come off? I’m going to look into replacing it this weekend.

RD

Only one panel has to come off, the one around the filler neck.
The rest is accessible through the door

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Is He working on this truck daily? Or just when he has time.

Romans9

Reaction score
Eric did this the other day so we got that handled. :)

Great! That will save you a headache. They start weeping slowly and you can’t really find it.

I cannot say enough good things about those generators. They are incredible pieces of machinery.

There is nothing in that category (size) for any price that is better.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Love the idea and it is totally workable but it makes me do this .🤔 I've put business signs up all over the country but never in Havasu so do your own due diligence. I cant think of one place that doesn't have a development sign code. In general they cover sign size to lot size to set back to number of signs to who can see it to how high to other structures to letter size to government bullshit hoop jumping. One thing I do know is, for safety, all reader boards will remain static for a giving amount of time. My last place was 15 seconds. You can always get special event approval for a one of. There's always a way. Believe it or not I've been helping with a road sigh on a state highway. It's on private property but is going to be set for people on the highway to see. Whole different set of rules. Been working on it for a year now. Got it down to roll it out and take the wheels off. Then when done that day, put wheels back on and move. We are calling that a win. Move it forward.

Nordie

Reaction score
Love the idea and it is totally workable but it makes me do this .🤔 I've put business signs up all over the country but never in Havasu so do your own due diligence. I cant think of one place that doesn't have a development sign code. In general they cover sign size to lot size to set back to number of signs to who can see it to how high to other structures to letter size to government bullshit hoop jumping. One thing I do know is, for safety, all reader boards will remain static for a giving amount of time. My last place was 15 seconds. You can always get special event approval for a one of. There's always a way. Believe it or not I've been helping with a road sigh on a state highway. It's on private property but is going to be set for people on the highway to see. Whole different set of rules. Been working on it for a year now. Got it down to roll it out and take the wheels off. Then when done that day, put wheels back on and move. We are calling that a win. Move it forward.

Did you have anything to do with this one?

20231020_052516.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I already talked to the city.. basically the only code that applies is that it has to be moved every 48 hours.. it won’t be any spot more than one day anyways..

There’s a million codes regarding signage and billboards.. none of them apply when it’s on a truck. Some apply if it’s a trailer etc

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I already talked to the city.. basically the only code that applies is that it has to be moved every 48 hours.. it won’t be any spot more than one day anyways..

There’s a million codes regarding signage and billboards.. none of them apply when it’s on a truck. Some apply if it’s a trailer etc
They regulate every kind of advertising down to a sandwich board on a Nun, outside of the church on bingo night but, put it on a truck and there is only one rule to follow. You my friend have found a gold mine. My first week of run time would be parking it all around town with rent this sign, call RD.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m They regulate every kind of advertising down to a sandwich board on a Nun, outside of the church on bingo night but, put it on a truck and there is only one rule to follow. You my friend have found a gold mine. My first week of run time would be parking it all around town with rent this sign, call RD.

I haven’t talked to a lot of people about it outside of this website and there is a ton of demand for it..
I have people that want to rent it for their booth at balloon fest.. (I told them 1700 single day 1200 multiple and they didn’t flinch).

Have several companies that were curious about it and called to ask.. seems like everyone wants a piece of it.

On a side note here’s a touch you’d appreciate. Even though we don’t get any rain around here to speak of, the truck might go some place that it rains.. all the cabinets are weather proof but invariably they always leak at the hinges so Eric made these on all the hinges to keep the rain out while driving..

IMG_1307.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg
IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg

zhandfull

Reaction score
Looking good! Thinking those channels/deflectors might look better if capped on the top.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Cool project!
My only thought is I would think the sign would be on the passenger side not the drivers. Especially if you roll down the street with it lit up. Why was your choice for the driver side? Just curious.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Cool project!
My only thought is I would think the sign would be on the passenger side not the drivers. Especially if you roll down the street with it lit up. Why was your choice for the driver side? Just curious.
So when it's parked it can be seen from everyone that drives by?

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
And you won‘t have to buy it beer or smokes

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Cool project!
So when it's parked it can be seen from everyone that drives by?

Pretty much this.. in retrospect I woulda put it on the passenger side so I could back it up in some areas and have it seen in oncoming traffic vs pulling up to the 95 etc..

My vending trailer opens up passenger side and the Rv etc.. so for shows to pull my big trailer it would have made more sense on the passenger.. but it’s on wheels so we can move it where we want it. lol.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I haven’t talked to a lot of people about it outside of this website and there is a ton of demand for it..
I have people that want to rent it for their booth at balloon fest.. (I told them 1700 single day 1200 multiple and they didn’t flinch).

Have several companies that were curious about it and called to ask.. seems like everyone wants a piece of it.

On a side note here’s a touch you’d appreciate. Even though we don’t get any rain around here to speak of, the truck might go some place that it rains.. all the cabinets are weather proof but invariably they always leak at the hinges so Eric made these on all the hinges to keep the rain out while driving..

View attachment 1313778 View attachment 1313779 View attachment 1313780 View attachment 1313781 View attachment 1313782
Your fab guy does nice work. I think this truck is going to be working the day you finish it, maybe before. Directional marketing is a big thing now. The internet has really thinned out the advertising dollar. Local businesses will jump all over this for a one on one interaction with potential customers.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
IMG_1561.jpeg
IMG_1560.jpeg
IMG_1571.jpeg
IMG_1577.jpeg
Truck has come apart and going to paint.. Eric took it all the way apart. lol.

The skirts l, cabinets etc are already over there getting painted.. just the truck sign frame and a few covers need to go next.

Justin at Bodyline is doing all the paint work and I’ll try to get some pics of that as well.

RD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@RiverDave is this bad boy gonna make its debut for some type of epic superbowl party?

Seems like a good way to unveil the beast!

Heylam

Reaction score
RD, did you ever find a camera system that would work for you?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
View attachment 1319719 View attachment 1319720 View attachment 1319721 View attachment 1319722 Truck has come apart and going to paint.. Eric took it all the way apart. lol.

The skirts l, cabinets etc are already over there getting painted.. just the truck sign frame and a few covers need to go next.

Justin at Bodyline is doing all the paint work and I’ll try to get some pics of that as well.

RD

Eric is the man, incredible fabricator, and one of the nicest most genuine people on this planet 👍

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
View attachment 1320104 View attachment 1320105 View attachment 1320106 View attachment 1320107 View attachment 1320108 View attachment 1320109 View attachment 1320110 QSC speakers for Super Bowl / movie nights etc..

There’s an 18 inch sub as well that Eric is still working on!

QSC are really good speakers. We use those here at the park for remote stuff and for monitors when we have bands. We run Makies for our concert hall. We have 8 of them up on the walls. Too me the Mackies put out a better sound, but are bigger and heavier.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Justin at Bodyline is now prepping it and I think it will have paint before next week! His guys are kick ass! I can’t recommend this shop enough, he has handled all of my paint needs for my truck and other vehicles.. pretty stoked on this and we are getting close!!

IMG_6866.jpeg
IMG_6867.jpeg
IMG_6868.jpeg
IMG_6869.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
@RiverDave

I'm assuming the paint quality Justin is able to get in AZ far exceeds what's available here in CA. Any truth to that??

LuauLounge

Reaction score
@RiverDave

I'm assuming the paint quality Justin is able to get in AZ far exceeds what's available here in CA. Any truth to that??
Cleaner air allows the paint molecules bond to each other rather than the hot air prevalent in California

Riverbottom

Reaction score
@RiverDave

No all the paint is regulated by EPA which is Federal. Paint manufacturers sell the same stuff in all fifty states. South Coast Air Quality in Calif. has some tougher standards on some solvents etc.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Justin is not messing around is he. Stripped out the entire interior too. Is this a color change on the truck?

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Justin at Bodyline is now prepping it and I think it will have paint before next week! His guys are kick ass! I can’t recommend this shop enough, he has handled all of my paint needs for my truck and other vehicles..
Justin did the font cap repair on our RV. I agree, It was a quick turnaround; the work exceeded my expectations, and they seem like nice folks. Thanks, Dave, for the reference.

RichL

Reaction score

Backlash

Reaction score
RD that looks fantastic! You're right it DOES look too good to be a work truck! I pitty the fool that puts the first scratch in it! 😲

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Im pretty sure everybody in town will know where Dave is for a while cause I'm pretty sure he is going to be driving this around town for a bit since he is so impressed with it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Im pretty sure everybody in town will know where Dave is for a while cause I'm pretty sure he is going to be driving this around town for a bit since he is so impressed with it.

Actually Michael the film guy is going to drive it out in the mornings and park it then pick it up in the evenings.

I am very impressed though at the talents both Eric and Justin have and how they took a pretty below average truck and what they are turning it into.