WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Converting a MCI bus into an RV...

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Question for ya:

Is the sofa mounted to the floor, along with seatbelts? If so, how did you accomplish that?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Question for ya:

Is the sofa mounted to the floor, along with seatbelts? If so, how did you accomplish that?

it will be. In the floor there was an existing rail that is welded to every frame support where the original seats were mounted. I'll be attaching both to those rails, not just bolting to the plywood. I'll also be attaching some lap seat belts I purchased to that rail as well.

You can see the rails here:

c955ce09-d59e-4277-b116-7905ccd71b1d-jpeg.953860

When we toured a few of the high end coaches one of the things I looked at was seating. The majority of them had a similar if not worse passenger seating situation... a poorly built RV couch or wooden dinette mounted to a wooden box that sat on top of a full length subfloor. Also our original bus none of the seats had seatbelts. I'm sure some will chime in with their opinions.

As far as drivers seat I purchased a new one to replace the worn out original seat.

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Starting on the ceiling. We installed our air conditioning, covered hatches in the roof with some aluminum plate. 3m 5200 sealed everything. Mounted the toilet and sprayer. Cranking away!

1A9604E8-5A9B-41D3-A2AE-ABD1CC76D0A8.jpeg

D8D10E55-F947-4D98-8FC3-4560548A8637.jpeg

81CB7E53-FBB4-4F9C-A6AC-45C5F898DA4B.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
This is a big moment in our bus build. It finally has its own lighting. (On one side of one room at least, technically two zones… kitchen and living room). It might sound like something silly but it almost feels “alive” now. Something about working at night on it with flashlights etc and now we can actually see. We will have a total of 48 of these little led lights in the entire bus ceiling along with dimming functionality. It really picked up the spirits tonight while putting in the ceiling.

5F1A3D98-26C8-489C-989A-B20923988825.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wow. Quite the project. Impressed with what you are doing

RichL

Reaction score
I might have missed it but what specifically are you using for the ceiling paneling/planks?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I might have missed it but what specifically are you using for the ceiling paneling/planks?

It’s a grey shiplap material we found at Home Depot. It was one of the first things we bought for the bus actually and we have kinda based all our interior decisions off of it. It sold out pretty quick we ended up going to 3 diff stores back in like January for it. It has a distressed look to it and I think it works great for a ceiling material. Not something you’d want to touch as it’s rough.
A6031759-7663-4F03-9CA2-F484B5F4409E.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Having your arms over your head the whole time sucks…
2BB31094-E7E4-49F8-AA04-9C54DD5E1FE4.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
also snagged one of these little guys
B66B2187-D661-4159-9D1F-435D69A21EA9.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have you thought about adding a roof top vent and prepping it (110v power) for a possible future A/C? Would be MUCH easier to do now and if you don't need or want it, you still have a nice and functional rooftop vent which is really nice for convection ventilation.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
You have built a mansion inside of your Bus,incredible.Really looking forward down the road when we read the thread “Building our new home on a awesome property”.Also,really class the way you constantly use the words “our” &”we”. 👍

fmo24

Reaction score
Are you mounting the individual recliner for a passenger seat up front? Bus is coming along beautifully 👍

Singleton

Reaction score
Are you mounting the individual recliner for a passenger seat up front? Bus is coming along beautifully 👍

Based on this build, I bet you that recliner rotates within a year (After all other other projects are completed).
Also an automated stair covering gets deployed when the bus hits Drive and does over 15mph.

cold_one

Reaction score
Its July now. I guess you didn't get it done for your June trips. How far are you along now? Are you still working on it?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Its July now. I guess you didn't get it done for your June trips. How far are you along now? Are you still working on it?

bus is wired up with power. Plumbed for drains and supplies. Just finishing up some odds and ends here and there. We have a week left. Sorry for the lack of updates moving along at cheetah speed.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Do you think if you had ample time, you could have found them any cheaper?

As with everything these days, I guess this is the norm?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Do you think if you had ample time, you could have found them any cheaper?

As with everything these days, I guess this is the norm?

high load rated highway tires aren’t cheap. Plus there’s fet and I had them mounted and balanced. Sales tax was cheaper. There’s a lot of truck stuff in Albuquerque. Mack, kenworth etc all here.

Last edited:

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I bet it feels good and safe with new shoes all around, right?

outboard_256

Reaction score
That sucks to start a vacation with a $4200 tire bill. Hopefully the rest of the trip is smooth sailing.

Reactions: DWC

evantwheeler

Reaction score
How are those Furrion AC units doing keeping you cool? You did two 15.5k units, or three?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I just want to know where you at now? I guess I'm living vicariously thru you?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I just want to know where you at now? I guess I'm living vicariously thru you?

wichita Kansas with family. We had a little get together party with some friends and family here with bus cookies drinks etc andthey all checked it out. It was good because it finally gave me an opportunity to clean it inside and out. We have noticed driving around that all the construction dust is still coming out and I’ve never really washed it before. Just a quick power wash and a rinse. This time I scrubbed all the greasy fingerprints off of the sides and I cleaned all the bays etc.

hallett21

Reaction score
Congrats! Did you upgrade the driver’s seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Congrats! Did you upgrade the driver’s seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a new takeoff seat from a Peter built. But the mount was different had to wait until after the trip.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
If you have time.Hershey Chocolates tour. Kids will never forget the day they toured Hershey Chocolate.If open?

Ol Man

Reaction score
Now that you have been able to enjoy it for a while, can you make comments on:
1. Driveability. Are you happy with the handling. Ride comfort.
2. Passengers while traveling. How is the family enjoying the seating, walking around, etc.
3. Floor plan. Is it working like you hoped.
4. A/C's. How are they doing on the road and at the campground..

From the videos, looks like you guys are having a wonderful time.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So some good questions…

AC on the road:
We chose to keep the two carrier AC units with the belt driven compressor on the motor. They work EXTREMELY well and we’re designed to keep 56 people cool… so for the four of us plus the added insulation it actually works really well. Even in high temps

AC stopped:
Our two furrion 15.5 units do great in areas where we see 80ish temps. Not that great when we were crossing AZ when we saw 120. Then again I don’t think three of them would have helped either. It’s just a large metal roof bus that gets hot in the desert sun. Not a big deal we don’t really care for vacations in 120* heat anyways.

What we still have to do:
When we left we had quite a few unfinished tasks… lighting system wasn’t complete and we had no running water. I never got far enough to even pressure test it. On the road first day I finished the lighting and water. We had a small leak with a bad pex crimp but easily just took off the clamp and redid it. Sealed up solid now 0 leaks. We didn’t have self water. The pump filter etc were all missing a few fittings just ran out of time. First dinner stop I ran into Home Depot and finalized that. We now have full hot water unhooked and hooked. Drains are good. Electrical has been done for a while and tested. We have ran our generator twice. Once at a party when we only had a 15a plug and we needed to run the AC and once for lunch at a park. It’s worked flawlessly and our 8 gal tank still is full.

shower has been great but we have a small leak at the retractable door. I sealed the inside with silicone but when the door closes there is like a self wiping strip and it runs down inside on the other side of the seal and leaks out. Not really a big deal so far I’ll apply silicone on the outside bottom and drill a small hole on the inside so it can drain. I am 100% glad we went with its size it’s been really nice not to have to cram in a tiny shower.

we are rethinking the kids bunk room drawers. They’re 30” deep and when fully open they block the center walkway. So it’s a little awkward to use. We will probably ditch them and go with a flip up bed like ours so we maximize the under bed storage… 77” wide 30” deep, 12” tall on each side. It’s a lot of storage room possible.

we need to finish our pocket doors, closet door, and upper cabinet doors. No biggie.

we need to finish the front drivers area.

kitchen wise everything is good.
Living room everything is good. Recliners have been great.

I want to put a new ac compressor and fan belt. Easy to do. Serp belt looks fine. Oil change obviously.

all in all everything actually has gone quite well. We brought probably too much stuff, that will get better with more trips and experience. It drives good, we avg about 10-11mpg currently. Not too bad. We have put in about $900 in fuel and we are currently in cape cod with a full tank 3000 miles away. Pretty impressive for our first trip.
9C4BFECA-2D7D-466D-BD6D-7859875769DC.jpeg