WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crows in my tree question

riverroyal

Reaction score
So theress a pine behind my house. About 30 feet. Theres a nest and 2 babies now. How bad will this be?
The noise im expecting, the 2 parents arent bad. They dont caw much.
They may handle the mice and rats behind my lot.
Any crow experts here? Gotta be

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I think crow are cool
I seen them a lot in our area .

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I like crows. They are amazing. But also a nuisance. I dont want 4 years of a nightmare.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Read up on them. They are much smarter birds than we all think.
They have 2 basic life habits. Strong family value during nesting but very community oriented the rest of the time. The huge flocks you see are daily trips to/from feeding grounds.......not something they do year round however.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Maybe i can take one to the lake a set it free.

Reactions: DWC

termiteguy

Reaction score
If you have any hawks around they will go after the babies. I have watched this happen a lot 1 hawkwill start flying around the nest and the crows start chasing it away the hawk will slowly draw them away then a 2nd will come in and steal the babies. Its interesting to watch

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
We have had large groups of babies with two adults watching over them.

traquer

Reaction score
We don't have crows but in the warmer months we see the green parrots. They're loud as hell but beautiful and they only stick around for a little bit. I think they're cool.

If I had crows hanging around all day though (I work from home) I'd get a high powered air rifle.. Just gotta make sure to get them all in one day. Otherwise they'll start harassing you and teach their friends to do their same, true story

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I also have a new nest of crows in my 50' pine in front. I've spent tons of time these last 3 weeks observing them. Fascinating stuff. I'm guessing the eggs haven't hatched just yet. The two adults take turns sitting in nest while one will go off and I assume bring food or just feed themselves. When one returns they tap out and the other takes off returning later. I did see one take a hummingbird from right off my balcony last week, landing on my roof to stab it, then took it up to nest. We've had some extreme winds coming off pacific past three weeks and that nest if built at the very top of this pine and I'm amazed how durable that thing is... it swings way back and forth and the adult crow just rides it out. In my rear yard I have a much larger mature pine and have had 20 years of fantastic Great Blue Heron nestings. Now those big assed birds make some wild noises when they hatch.... starts at 4 am like a Cak Cak really loud cause they're hungry as shit growing like weeds. Darwinism at its finest... I've had a chick fall 40' to the ground presumably pushed out of the nest as they get really agreesive when the adult shows up with a mackerel from the bay.... the chick that doesn't get fed gets weak and pushed out from nest. I had one in my hands years ago. They are frigging prehistoric looking like tridactyls from Jurassic movie. My guess is the crow chicks will be somewhat quiet after hatching as opposed to the larger herons. But I can tell you those herons always return to that larger pine to that big nest and have chicks about every three years so that I'm guessing crows may return to your tree as well. Creatures of habit. Enjoy the bird watching or simply take an air rifle to em if ya choose. Crows are smart as shit.... just a couple shots will drive them away.... but wait to after chicks have grown and left if you have close neighbors. Here at the shore things are tight and there's been some nasty arguments around messing with crows.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Put up a mannequin of Steve Howe from "Yes".

Although a dummy of the "Crypt Keeper" would be equally effective.

stevehowe.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Shoot 1 and if it drops the others will try and carry it off unless you start shooting them also. I dropped one 2 or 3 years ago. Its mate still stops by to squak at me. As soon as I go for the pellet gun it's gone. They are very smart.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
177 air rifle 😎 they kill our chickens trying to get eggs when the coop door is open

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Shoot 1 and if it drops the others will try and carry it off unless you start shooting them also. I dropped one 2 or 3 years ago. Its mate still stops by to squak at me. As soon as I go for the pellet gun it's gone. They are very smart.

Lol... Did this at my dads house when they were getting overrun with a flock. Killed one of them, then the dudes flock stopped by everyday for about a week in the front yard raising hell.

sirbob

Reaction score
This was purchased to address nuisance birds.

96072B71-72A1-4A05-974C-E9924E1481A5.jpeg

08C89DCC-8789-43A5-BAB9-7283B20E2587.jpeg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Have a nest in the pine next door. They don't make much noise.
Probably a better sign than Buzzards. lol

HotRod82

Reaction score
Smart indeed - couple weeks ago a I watched a crow drop a gopher into my swimming pool. He sat on the edge quietly for almost an hour and watched the gopher drown. Plucked it out of the water and proceeds to eat it on my pool deck. I chased him off, threw the gopher down the bank near the pool where he continued to feast.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Also they are Mexico’s state bird and are not to be shot so our sheriff told us she also said 177 😎

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Smart as all get out..... I saw a documentary years ago covering an MIT study that revealed crows have facial recognition abilities. Earlier post on this thread re: they show up to squawk at a guy who acted out against one of their tribe is relevant. That is similar to the way MIT did their case study. Freaky smart flying rats... or is that pigeons, lol.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sorry, could not resist.
During nesting they don't usually congregate in large groups. During community time is when you see them together in the thousands.....that's when having the trees they overnight in sucks ass.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Smart as all get out..... I saw a documentary years ago covering an MIT study that revealed crows have facial recognition abilities. Earlier post on this thread re: they show up to squawk at a guy who acted out against one of their tribe is relevant. That is similar to the way MIT did their case study. Freaky smart flying rats... or is that pigeons, lol.
Smart enough to send scouts ahead of the flock and secure their flight path with sentry birds posted along the way.

endobear

Reaction score
Living in Yorba Linda at about 5 years old I was screwed with by a crow. It chased me off my dirt pile to steal my hot wheels. Take them on the roof of the house.
Repeat.
Freaked me out. Mom came out swinging with a broom.
Then dude shows up. It was his pet crow..
I still hate those flying black chickens.

MoreyMcC

Reaction score
Kill one and tie it to the tree they stay in! If that doesn’t work run a trot line through the tree and bait each hook with kernels of corn! That’s some redneck shit but once they see all those crows on a fishhook dead they will leave for sure!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You know why you never see a roadkill crow on the pavement?
(The ones eating mcDs trash)

endobear

Reaction score
My 14lb Min Pin took one down in the yard that had been dicking around with her. Then about 6 of those basturds swormed her wile she had the 1st one down. Nasty noises they made as she fucked them up.
Pretty sure she sensed my hatred for them.

calkid

Reaction score
Its pretty annoying when they start feeding their hatchlings. It sounds like a sceaming child drowning, you'll know it when you here it.

77charger

Reaction score
It’s true kill one the rest of the herd will gather the troops and come back and squak like crazy.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
So theress a pine behind my house. About 30 feet. Theres a nest and 2 babies now. How bad will this be?
The noise im expecting, the 2 parents arent bad. They dont caw much.
They may handle the mice and rats behind my lot.
Any crow experts here? Gotta be

They don't caw much....except at first light in the morning, which is well before 4 AM here in June.
Pricks.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Living in Yorba Linda at about 5 years old I was screwed with by a crow. It chased me off my dirt pile to steal my hot wheels. Take them on the roof of the house.
Repeat.
Freaked me out. Mom came out swinging with a broom.
Then dude shows up. It was his pet crow..
I still hate those flying black chickens.
Not the Hot Wheels.... loved those back in the day.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We had em in a tree for years. Your f-ed get rid of em now. The sound of crows was a constant backbeat to my childhood.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Back in 1970 we would go dove hunting on our bus drivers farm. He had corn fields in the 100's of acres that we would hunt on and the crows were a nuisance as they would destroy much of the corn. He would give us $1 for each crow would kill. Was an easy way to get ammunition $$ back then.

traquer

Reaction score
17HMR works well or if a tree full 12g

If I lived in the country I'd love nothing more than to unload on them with a full-auto AA-12 using 3" nitro turkey shot. Kill the whole lot of the fookers in one clip.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
If I lived in the country I'd love nothing more than to unload on them with a full-auto AA-12 using 3" nitro turkey shot. Kill the whole lot of the fookers in one clip.
M4

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I once watched a crow drop a walnut or almond in the street as he landed on the phone cable crossing over the street. He sat there and watched multiple cars drive by until one finally hit it smashing the shell and exposing the goods. He flew down, ate a couple bites and when more cars came he‘d fly back up to lline And wait. Then he’d repeat, repeat, until he had his fill. Pretty fucking ingenious for a black bird.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
For those intrigued; heard a crow racket today so went to check it out.... a baby chick had fallen out of nest and landed 60' below in grass by a sidewalk. Dog walk types were going by and somebody noticed it at base of tree so stopped to check it out. Man did those parent crows come to its defense. There's a fair amount of foot traffic by this baby chick and the parents come in fast to bark anyone away. I Googled this and the advice is to let it be and parents will feed it and we'll see if it survives. Fascinating stuff. Kind of the talk of the neighborhood here at the shore.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
For those intrigued; heard a crow racket today so went to check it out.... a baby chick had fallen out of nest and landed 60' below in grass by a sidewalk. Dog walk types were going by and somebody noticed it at base of tree so stopped to check it out. Man did those parent crows come to its defense. There's a fair amount of foot traffic by this baby chick and the parents come in fast to bark anyone away. I Googled this and the advice is to let it be and parents will feed it and we'll see if it survives. Fascinating stuff. Kind of the talk of the neighborhood here at the shore.
It’s toast a cat or dog will munch it maybe fire will come out and put it back but most likely see yas

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I once watched a crow drop a walnut or almond in the street as he landed on the phone cable crossing over the street. He sat there and watched multiple cars drive by until one finally hit it smashing the shell and exposing the goods. He flew down, ate a couple bites and when more cars came he‘d fly back up to lline And wait. Then he’d repeat, repeat, until he had his fill. Pretty fucking ingenious for a black bird.
They are smart as hell , we let our chickens out to Rome and as soon as coop is open crows go into steal whole eggs if the hen don’t give up eggs crow kills it , we kill crow

SoCalDave

Reaction score
From Google...
Many types of crow's are solitary, but they will often forage in groups. Others stay in large groups. A group of crow's called a murder. ... Then, the murder of crow's will band together and chase predators in a behavioral manner called mobbing. May 2, 2017

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
From Google...
Many types of crow's are solitary, but they will often forage in groups. Others stay in large groups. A group of crow's called a murder. ... Then, the murder of crow's will band together and chase predators in a behavioral manner called mobbing. May 2, 2017
Doesn't surprise me... the parents were dive bombing anyone who came near the chick yesterday. I saw a documentary from MIT years ago on crow intelligence.... those damn things have actual facial recognition the study showed. Crazy smart birds apparently. I had a great blue heron chick fall from a larger pine years ago so I went out to check on it. Those parents couldn't have cared a less. That chick looked really cool, very dinosaur ish like a Jurassic Park bird.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) found over 200 dead crows on Highway 281 this past week, and there was concern that they may have died from the Coronavirus.
A veterinary epidemiologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The cause of death was actually from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with motorcycles, while only 2% were killed by cars.
TxDOT then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of motorcycle kills versus car kills.
The Ornithological Behaviorist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger.
They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "bike"