WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kawasaki Ridge 1/23/2024

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Saw a small teaser. We do know it’s enclosed and with a 4 cylinder and a 4 seater.

Any other teaser?

Reactions: TPC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m doubting 300 HP from the factory

They are going to use the 4 cylinder bike motor. The bike makes 240 supercharged, and 300 in the track only model.

Supposedly the 240 horse spec makes 280 with a tune.

There is a new belt drive shown as well with supports for the shafts. Looks like it takes the Speed design a step further.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Not expecting the Ridge to be a sport machine. Thinking this might be more in the category of the Polaris General & Explorer models.

The Japanese are know for being conservative with devolving new products. Honda did the same thing and released their DCT transmission in the Pioneer a few years before releasing the Talon.

Polaris just released their 3 cylinder in the Ranger category, and will eventually bring the triple to the Sport models once the engine and new steel CVT belt is tested & proven in the Ranger.

I’m thinking Kawasaki might do the same thing. Release a detuned version of the 4 cylinder in a sportier utility vehicle, like the General, then once proven and miles logged. Then they can introduce a higher output in a true sport machine.

I could be way wrong, but that’s the feeling I get with a name like Ridge and this teaser showing rain, windshields and wiper blades.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
It appears that this will be a DCT trans, I think this is the shift in UTVs that will quickly age out the belt cars. I know this a major decision for me and my next UTV purchase.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It appears that this will be a DCT trans, I think this is the shift in UTVs that will quickly age out the belt cars. I know this a major decision for me and my next UTV purchase.

Yea there is actually designs of both out there. Will be interesting to see what it comes with. these DCTs seem great, until they break. But with how heavy some of these machines are getting, The belts are not going to be viable for too much longer. The new 1500CC Rangers already have a CVT chain.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not expecting the Ridge to be a sport machine. Thinking this might be more in the category of the Polaris General & Explorer models.

The Japanese are know for being conservative with devolving new products. Honda did the same thing and released their DCT transmission in the Pioneer a few years before releasing the Talon.

Polaris just released their 3 cylinder in the Ranger category, and will eventually bring the triple to the Sport models once the engine and new steel CVT belt is tested & proven in the Ranger.

I’m thinking Kawasaki might do the same thing. Release a detuned version of the 4 cylinder in a sportier utility vehicle, like the General, then once proven and miles logged. Then they can introduce a higher output in a true sport machine.

I could be way wrong, but that’s the feeling I get with a name like Ridge and this teaser showing rain, windshields and wiper blades.

I agree. If this is a 240 HP enclosed "overland" model, it will still sell very well. At this point that is what people with $50K+ to spend on a UTV want anyway.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The teaser had windshield wipers, enclosed cab and with a name like “Ridge” my guess is this isn’t competing for manufacture race wins but more driven towards the true essence of a Utility Vehicle.

I’m a big fan of the KRX. I think it’s underrated for what it is. Most people think they’re Ricky Racer when in reality they’re better suited for a KRX platform.

Will be interesting what Kawi does. I think it will be well thought out whatever it ends up being.

TBulger

Reaction score
Been to the Moab UTV gathering couple of times, that little Kawi 4 seater was by far the best trail machine out there. Somehow, there was one just ahead of us on several trails, just never seemed to struggle on any obstacle.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Yea. They are well built cars. I have not looked too hard ant the new Polaris 1000 NA, but the KRX had the best suspension geometry and best suspension of all the non turbo cars.
Negative, best suspension geometry of a N/A car is the Arctic Cat XX, then I would say the KRX is second.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Negative, best suspension geometry of a N/A car is the Arctic Cat XX, then I would say the KRX is second.
That is probably accurate, They were a bit of a pogo stick stock, they needed a little suspension work. The KRX out of the box is pretty good all around it seems.

NIKAL

Reaction score
I agree. If this is a 240 HP enclosed "overland" model, it will still sell very well. At this point that is what people with $50K+ to spend on a UTV want anyway.
I’m not so sure it will sell well, if they are at the same price point as Polaris & the Expedition models. Polaris has admitted to lack luster and lower than expected sales of the whole Expedition model. They just lowered a dealer tier on the Expedition to give them better pricing to sell them, as they have not sold as expected and dealers are sitting on floor inventory, and already committed dealer orders. If sales don’t pick up on the Expedition models by mid 1st quarter of 24, they might drop to the “value” tier and Polaris might have to offer rebates to move already built floor models.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m not so sure it will sell well, if they are at the same price point as Polaris & the Explorer models. Polaris has admitted to lack luster and lower than expected sales of the whole Explorer model. They just lowered a dealer tier on the Explorer's to give them better pricing to sell them, as they have not sold as expected and dealers are sitting on floor inventory, and already committed dealer orders. If sales don’t pick up on the Explorer models by mid 1st quarter of 24, they might drop to the “value” tier and Polaris might have to offer rebates to move already built floor models.

That thing isn't selling because it has 110 HP and the 4 seater weighs about 3000 lbs dry. If it had a Pro R horsepower (even the new 3 cylinder ranger powertrain with a power bump) it would be doing much better. Their lineup is too fragmented in my opinion. The demand is there, People are starting to dump $70K into closed cab farm implements adding long travel, turbo kits, etc. Then the OEMs come in and make it better from the factory for way less. We have seen this play out several times in the last 15 years.

People don't want to go much faster out there. Now they want more comfort, but they want to at least be able to keep up with their friends or go close to as fast as they did in their Turbo RZR or Can Am X3. They can't with a 3000 lb car with 110 HP.

Its the same reason people ditched their 400 HP deckboats for 800 HP pontoon boats that go the same speed. :)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Hey @LargeOrangeFont look, no high capacity loads in CA 😂

IMG_4620.jpeg

Joe mama

Reaction score

100%

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The teaser had windshield wipers, enclosed cab and with a name like “Ridge” my guess is this isn’t competing for manufacture race wins but more driven towards the true essence of a Utility Vehicle.

Pretty much how I figured it would go lol

Likely a great car and well thought out though. Just the target demographic isn’t this forum.

NIKAL

Reaction score
I find it so funny at how many are shocked and mad at what Kawasaki built. It was obvious to me when they panned by a shock or the tire tread in an early video.

What’s funnier is all the UTV sport guys on YouTube etc.. all hyping up the 4 cylinder turbo and big HP. Now it’s released as a 1000cc 116 hp engine.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Wow Kawasaki really Shit the Bed on this one after the months of marketing hype! This has to be a joke.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Wow Kawasaki really Shit the Bed on this one after the months of marketing hype! This has to be a joke.
I disagree. The utility market is way bigger than the Sport market. Sports SXS is West Coast focused. I don’t remember the exact number, but several years ago Polaris was quoted saying they sell something like 10 to 1 of Ranger utilities vs the RZR platform.

While the Sport guys see this as a flop, the rest of the industry sees this as another quality utility vehicle. But the Japanese are known for being conservative. Honda did it with putting the DCT in the Pioneer to develop before releasing the Talon. When Yamaha got back in the SXS market they released the Wolverine before they released the YXZ sport machine. Only a few years ago did Kawi even get into the sport segment. Dont be surprised if this 4 cylinder does not end up in the KRX in the next model year. Might not be Turbo’ed right out of the gate? Might be a 150 HP N/A at first and then they can expand into the turbo segment, once they have proven it. Also I believe they have a DCT trans in the works. I expected we might have seen it in the Ridge, but was wrong.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I disagree. The utility market is way bigger than the Sport market. Sports SXS is West Coast focused. I don’t remember the exact number, but several years ago Polaris was quoted saying they sell something like 10 to 1 of Ranger utilities vs the RZR platform.

While the Sport guys see this as a flop, the rest of the industry sees this as another quality utility vehicle. But the Japanese are known for being conservative. Honda did it with putting the DCT in the Pioneer to develop before releasing the Talon. When Yamaha got back in the SXS market they released the Wolverine before they released the YXZ sport machine. Only a few years ago did Kawi even get into the sport segment. Dont be surprised if this 4 cylinder does not end up in the KRX in the next model year. Might not be Turbo’ed right out of the gate? Might be a 150 HP N/A at first and then they can expand into the turbo segment, once they have proven it. Also I believe they have a DCT trans in the works. I expected we might have seen it in the Ridge, but was wrong.
It’s a major flop in the utility market. Look at what can am and Polaris are doing. This thing is already 10 years old. 4 cylinder 1000 cc 110 motor. Sorry not impressed