WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lobster fishing

svlperry

Reaction score
I'd love to hop on a boat in the next few weeks! ❤️ Nothing better than fresh lobster!!
Call Justin 19517039442 he’s out of Long Beach ask him if he’s got any open party trips it’s only $200 plus tip

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Who does it I’m going with this charter on the 21st. This charter goes live on Facebook about 4 to 5 times a week and he catches limits about 95% of the time
I've done it with traps from Newport out to island... dropping traps .... grilling on barbeque off stern.... hard to beat. have fun. Take plenty of butter and garlic

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Done it a bunch with a buddy that has a boat in San Diego. Every time when we were pulling in we got checked for the size of them.

Bails

Reaction score
I went last night

20240210_223247.jpg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I’ve done the trap thing in Long Beach once and don’t plan on doing it again. What a pain in the ass. Good times with buddies, but a lot of work.

Machally

Reaction score
Been hoop netting San Diego Bay for quite a long time, It’s a lot of fun. We usually do pretty well hitting specific locations. It’s a rush when you pull a trap and feel a nice thump at the end of the line. You never know what you might pull up in a trap, watch out for the sculpin and rays! Have fun, the bounty is worth the effort!
IMG_3747.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Guy who bought my old house use to dive for ‘em in Long Beach….he brought me a couple on the way home. We cooked ‘em up the next night and they were foul…spit out and threw in the trash.

Are these any good to eat or do you guys just like being wet and cold all night?

4Waters

Reaction score
Guy who bought my old house use to dive for ‘em in Long Beach….he brought me a couple on the way home. We cooked ‘em up the next night and they were foul…spit out and threw in the trash.

Are these any good to eat or do you guys just like being wet and cold all night?
I've heard that before. Guys I've talked to say the ones caught in or just outside harbors taste like shit compared to ones caught away from the harbors in open waters.

Machally

Reaction score

I prefer to keep and eat lobsters that aren’t too large and old. A large lobster, in the 7-10 pound range can be 50 years old. It takes a lobster approximately 7 years to be legal size. Lobster will move around quite a bit, depending on age and habitat you can catch some that might taste a little funky. As far as wet and cold, I dress appropriately for the conditions, only my beer is cold.

hallett21

Reaction score

You need to throw them in a cooler with water and a pump to let them purge. So they can get the crappy water out of them.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Funny story. While visiting my brother in Washington, Camano Island north of Seattle one time late spring he wanted to take me lobster fishing off the island. Says him and the father in law go all the time. Mainly to get away from the wife’s & kids, drinks some beers and just bullshit the day away. Sounds great let’s do it I say. Next morning we’re getting ready for the day of brother bonding time he says to me I’ll be outside hooking the boat up. I look at him funny scratching my head and say ok. I’ll be out in a minute after I perform my morning ritual of dropping a couple Cosby kids off at the pool, thinking to myself I don’t remember seeing any boat parked on his property. However he does have 5+ acres, so who knows. I finish up grab the cooler walk out side and he says to me let’s go! I’m like go where? He says lobster fishing. My answer back to him was “no, really, where are we going?” Lobstering was his reply. I told him ain’t no way in hell I’m getting in a 12” aluminum dingy with a 5hp outboard in the middle of the ocean. That bitch don’t start we’re ending up in china or worse! We ended up going golfing and stopping at the store buying lobsters for dinner on the way home. Ahhh the memories 🤣

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Funny story. While visiting my brother in Washington, Camano Island north of Seattle one time late spring he wanted to take me lobster fishing off the island. Says him and the father in law go all the time. Mainly to get away from the wife’s & kids, drinks some beers and just bullshit the day away. Sounds great let’s do it I say. Next morning we’re getting ready for the day of brother bonding time he says to me I’ll be outside hooking the boat up. I look at him funny scratching my head and say ok. I’ll be out in a minute after I perform my morning ritual of dropping a couple Cosby kids off at the pool, thinking to myself I don’t remember seeing any boat parked on his property. However he does have 5+ acres, so who knows. I finish up grab the cooler walk out side and he says to me let’s go! I’m like go where? He says lobster fishing. My answer back to him was “no, really, where are we going?” Lobstering was his reply. I told him ain’t no way in hell I’m getting in a 12” aluminum dingy with a 5hp outboard in the middle of the ocean. That bitch don’t start we’re ending up in china or worse! We ended up going golfing and stopping at the store buying lobsters for dinner on the way home. Ahhh the memories 🤣
lol. I used to know a guy that would chase the Catalina Express across the channel in a 10ft zodiac with a 15hp outboard on it to dive for the day and then run home.

Some people are a bit more ambitious than the rest of us

Taboma

Reaction score
Been hoop netting San Diego Bay for quite a long time, It’s a lot of fun. We usually do pretty well hitting specific locations. It’s a rush when you pull a trap and feel a nice thump at the end of the line. You never know what you might pull up in a trap, watch out for the sculpin and rays! Have fun, the bounty is worth the effort! View attachment 1333601
You eat marine life from San Diego Bay proper :oops:🤢☠️

Machally

Reaction score
From the mouth of the bay, Jetty area, yes. Commercial guys fish all over the mouth of the bay, outside the channel of course. I would never eat anything deep inside the bay or South Bay Area, although lots of folks do. Been eating them for a long time and haven’t grown a third nipple yet!

Taboma

Reaction score
From the mouth of the bay, Jetty area, yes. Commercial guys fish all over the mouth of the bay, outside the channel of course. I would never eat anything deep inside the bay or South Bay Area, although lots of folks do. Been eating them for a long time and haven’t grown a third nipple yet!
Got it, yup some beautiful clear water around both sides of the Zuniga BW and the lee before you round the tip on the north side.

77charger

Reaction score
Use to dive for them off laguna years ago. Had a couple spots that were pretty good.had many solo night dives for them

But ca marine protection act closed that whole area off and other legal areas to go from shore got limited or a far drive.

Like mentioned the bigger ones ain’t that great eating and areas caught also help too.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We would hoop years ago and a lot of the time around Catalina on our own boat.

Just got too crazy with all the nets especially around the brake wall it was like bobbing around land minds to get out. Too many people letting their 100’ line float in 20’ of water.

Still have all the gear just no blue water boat anymore.

Bails

Reaction score
We would hoop years ago and a lot of the time around Catalina on our own boat.

Just got too crazy with all the nets especially around the brake wall it was like bobbing around land minds to get out. Too many people letting their 100’ line float in 20’ of water.

Still have all the gear just no blue water boat anymore.
If you're interested I have a buddy looking to outfit his boat. He wants to get set up with 10 nets. I told him to wait until the season is over and people start selling.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If you're interested I have a buddy looking to outfit his boat. He wants to get set up with 10 nets. I told him to wait until the season is over and people start selling.
I have all lay flat hoop nets, most people want the conical style as its easier not to loose lobsters if you quit pulling for what ever reason.

Spent a lot of time rigging them up with slip buoys with holes for glow sticks and weights to pull slack line down when fishing in shallower waters.

Still holding on for that blue water boat again, or my father brings his CC out from Florida when they head back....lol

I'm going to hold on them for now, but will keep you mind if anything changes...

Its a lot cheaper to buy them at the store than fish for them....ha ha ha.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Ran out to San Nicolas Island a few years ago and brought the hoops. No need to measure, everything we brought up was 3 lbs and up.

Bails

Reaction score
Ran out to San Nicolas Island a few years ago and brought the hoops. No need to measure, everything we brought up was 3 lbs and up.
San Nicolas, the land of the dinosaur lobster

Taboma

Reaction score

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Somebody would rather eat striped marlin vs lobster :oops: The only marlin I could stomach was smoked, otherwise I thought it sucked, especially the texture. Maybe the Mexicans have perfected some method of preparing it I'm unaware of ??
Maybe they were looking more for quantity than quality. They also wanted the grouper carcass and I guess they make soup out of the heads.
I don't remember how many we caught that day but at least 20. Catch and release but it was my first so we kept.
img_2585_49147658501_o.jpg
img_2599_49147658146_o.jpg
img_2505_49147166578_o.jpg
img_2540_49147658841_o.jpg
img_2717_49147165728_o.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Maybe they were looking more for quantity than quality. They also wanted the grouper carcass and I guess they make soup out of the heads.
I don't remember how many we caught that day but at least 20. Catch and release but it was my first so we kept.
View attachment 1338689 View attachment 1338691 View attachment 1338693 View attachment 1338695 View attachment 1338697
Looks like a great day on the water 👍
In Cabo the locals always wanted the boated Marlin when we got to the docks. I just never inquired how they prepared it, but then for a guy who loved fishing, I was always extremely finicky about the fish I enjoyed eating, namely fish that tasted like fish unless smoked. 🤣