WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOL😂😂, Country music....

Tank

Reaction score
IMG_5927.jpeg

mobldj

Reaction score
new country aint worth a fk.pretty boys and girls.maybe midland comes close.as a dj i will never play that beyonce bullshit.well maybe for a 1000.00 dollar tip

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Been listening to this stuff since the early 70's and have no interest in looking for new stuff. Most of my playlist will make my friends want to jump out of a moving vehicle but I love it. Old country is an acquired taste but when you get it you get it. My favorite stuff is the 60's,70's & 80's.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Been listening to this stuff since the early 70's and have no interest in looking for new stuff. Most of my playlist will make my friends want to jump out of a moving vehicle but I love it. Old country is an acquired taste but when you get it you get it. My favorite stuff is the 60's,70's & 80's.

You would love getting into my record collection. Have stuff I've acquired from my grandmother as well as estate sales going back to the 20's.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
It's funny....when I was 16 (1972) I was a union apprentice for a couple of drywall taping crews. They worked me like a rented mule. Had to load both trucks with all the mud for 10 houses every morning then unload and mix em up at each house. Had hair down to the middle of my back so these guys were not fond of that. They listened to KNIX in Phx. every day and I hated it but ya know .....after about a year of listening to it and knowing the songs and artists you could say I "got it" and started listening to it all the time. I still listen to R&R but you could say I speak both languages fluently! Couldn't live without either one!!

playdeep

Reaction score
First off, I will say I respect her talent immensely but country ain't Beyoncé.
I'm not even a country music fan but good grief, that shit sounds like a hip-hop production with plenty of "Woooo's", "Chooo's" & a pretend country draw on 3 or 4 words.
Is it a wonder country musicians ain't handing out a warm and fuzzy welcome to her?
What's all y'alls take on this?🤪😂
Beyonce's woke revisionist history about not being accepted by country fans cuz she's black kinda falls apart when you go back&look at Real country music's black pioneer.
Charlie Pride was a country icon selling millions of records,had 20 top 10 hits&was a member of the grand Ole Opry.

Thinking it was all because his music didn't suck like Beyonce.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
There’s a ton of newer “old sounding” country out there, but little of it is on the radio. I love the old stuff (Johnny, George, Hank, Waylon, Lefty, Merle), but I find myself listening to newer artists that I can see live. If you like the old sounding stuff, check out these newer guys:

Colter Wall, Whitey Morgan, Jeremy Pinnell, Jesse Daniel, Vince Neil Emerson, Ellis Bullard, Jason James, Tyler Childers, and Sturgill Simpson/Sunday Valley (my personal favorite of all these guys).

I’ve seen most in small venues.

Last edited:

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Great picks. Listen to them quite a bit on Pandora. Along with the following:

Ryan Bingham
Brent Cobb
Zach Bryan
Creed Fisher
Chris Knight
Uncle Lucius
Guy Clark
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Creed has blown up the last couple of years. Nice man, shot the breeze with him before a show in McKinney TX a few months back. Told him I was from SoCal and asked him to play “Don’t California my Texas.” He laughed and shook my hand.

He has a bunch of honky tonk songs that I love.

Mickey Lamantia is super similar musically to Creed, and they’re buddies.

C-2

Reaction score
Here’s my take on it. I wanna embrace new country music, but nothing seems to stick. So, on the train ride home tonight I listened to Cody Jenks, Tyler Childres and Lainey Wilson.

After listening to all 3 it struck me – there’s no creativity in the lyrics.

I thought they all had the great, oldschool country sound, but most of their songs start with “I” and revolve around some life event they had to overcome. They sing the same song, using the same words and cliché’s, but in different order. In most every song. And no, that’s not every country song ever written; there’s a difference.

I don’t get it, why do all the new country stars need to prove themselves through stories of hardship over and over again? It’s boring. That formula may have worked in the 60-80’s, but it’s simply not believable in 2024.

Tyler Childres - I liked his music better. Same as Wilson. But another pet peeve of mine is that labored country twang. Nobody sang like that before Reba splashed on the scene. Dolly talks like that, but she doesn’t sing like that. Tammy, Patsy, and Wynona didn’t do it, either.

Gone from today’s lyrics is simple storytelling. Songs like Jolene, El Paso, Country Bumpkin, City of New Orleans, Don’t Take the Girl, He Stopped Loving Her Today…where are they?

Somebody please send a memo to Nashville that we get it; you’re country and you survived the great recession…you drove a Ford…and you got a ticket for talking on your cell while driving that Ford. But PLEASE, stop singing about it. Branch out and tell some stories.

And stop trying to write anthems that will become mega selling hits. Most ginormous anthems are the result of happenstance and did not achieve success thru design.

But to each his own; all good. :)

C-2

Reaction score
There’s a ton of newer “old sounding” country out there, but little of it is on the radio. I love the old stuff (Johnny, George, Hank, Waylon, Lefty, Merle), but I find myself listening to newer artists that I can see live. If you like the old sounding stuff, check out these newer guys:

Colter Wall, Whitey Morgan, Jeremy Pinnell, Jesse Daniel, Vince Neil Emerson, Ellis Bullard, Jason James, Tyler Childers, and Sturgill Simpson/Sunday Valley (my personal favorite of all these guys).

I’ve seen most in small venues.
I'm trying to get to where you're at, too, lol. After all, most of the oldschool artists we enjoy, whether that's country, punk or rock, will no longer be with us within the next 5-10 years, and I too enjpy live music.

I like Sturgill that you posted up and will check out the others. I can't get on the Colter Wall wagon though, his voice to me sounds too gimmicky. Just sing, dude.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I'm trying to get to where you're at, too, lol. After all, most of the oldschool artists we enjoy, whether that's country, punk or rock, will no longer be with us within the next 5-10 years, and I too enjpy live music.

I like Sturgill that you posted up and will check out the others. I can't get on the Colter Wall wagon though, his voice to me sounds too gimmicky. Just sing, dude.
Agree on Colter as far as his early stuff. He said it himself, he forced his voice.

His newer stuff is much better, imo, but more cowboy music than country per say.

Try Ellis Bullard. More outlaw meets honky tonk. Think Waylon, Dwight, with a little Sturgill and Colter mixed in. Only been around a couple of years, and still quite underground.

Also, check out Sturgill’s first band, Sunday Valley. Punked out country and simply incredible stuff.

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Here’s my take on it. I wanna embrace new country music, but nothing seems to stick. So, on the train ride home tonight I listened to Cody Jenks, Tyler Childres and Lainey Wilson.

After listening to all 3 it struck me – there’s no creativity in the lyrics.

I thought they all had the great, oldschool country sound, but most of their songs start with “I” and revolve around some life event they had to overcome. They sing the same song, using the same words and cliché’s, but in different order. In most every song. And no, that’s not every country song ever written; there’s a difference.

I don’t get it, why do all the new country stars need to prove themselves through stories of hardship over and over again? It’s boring. That formula may have worked in the 60-80’s, but it’s simply not believable in 2024.

Tyler Childres - I liked his music better. Same as Wilson. But another pet peeve of mine is that labored country twang. Nobody sang like that before Reba splashed on the scene. Dolly talks like that, but she doesn’t sing like that. Tammy, Patsy, and Wynona didn’t do it, either.

Gone from today’s lyrics is simple storytelling. Songs like Jolene, El Paso, Country Bumpkin, City of New Orleans, Don’t Take the Girl, He Stopped Loving Her Today…where are they?

Somebody please send a memo to Nashville that we get it; you’re country and you survived the great recession…you drove a Ford…and you got a ticket for talking on your cell while driving that Ford. But PLEASE, stop singing about it. Branch out and tell some stories.

And stop trying to write anthems that will become mega selling hits. Most ginormous anthems are the result of happenstance and did not achieve success thru design.

But to each his own; all good. :)
I feel like Midland might be an option for you. They get no play on country radio (at least the one in the inland empire called kfrog) but I think their songwriting is great and they catch the feel of older artists.

Reactions: C-2

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
This is what you get when you don’t go to a local small venue and pay 25 buck to see a real touring artist who doesn’t have a havasu channel song. The main stream music business is basically Facebook/insta for the masses.

C-2

Reaction score
Agree on Colter as far as his early stuff. He said it himself, he forced his voice.

His newer stuff is much better, imo, but more cowboy music than country per say.

Try Ellis Bullard. More outlaw meets honky tonk. Think Waylon, Dwight, with a little Sturgill and Colter mixed in. Only been around a couple of years, and still quite underground.

Also, check out Sturgill’s first band, Sunday Valley. Punked out country and simply incredible stuff.
Thanks, I'll give him another listen, I like his songs.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I've been digging Corb Lund lately, he's a Canadian like Colter Wall, but has some really good old style western stuff.
Try Horse Soldier or Student Visas

2Driver

Reaction score
Marketing 101.…..they all grew up in a small town singing gospel in the local church.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
A couple of my favorite Childers songs are "Feathered Indians" and "I'm all Your'n." I don't think his twang is forced. He's from the same area as Loretta Lynn, who had plenty of twang.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like country music but just can’t handle the lyrics. It’s just brutal. I don't have time to explain, I have to go get some beer for my horses.
Crossing the desert listening to the Country stations it was all dudes & Bakersfield garage bands.
Switched to Willie’s Sirrus station for the hits.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Funny story- when I turned 16 I would drive my grandparents to and from their farm in South Dakota from SoCal. The only station my grandpa would allow on in his brand new 2500 chevy was willies roadhouse. Well, I hated country music at the time and it would drive me nuts.

Well one time he was passed out in the passenger seat so I switched it from Willies Roadhouse to the Highway and he woke up instantly yelling “who in the fuck changed the channel”. I was driving and my grandma was in the back seat “sorry grandpa, my finger accidently changed it on the steering wheel.”

My grandpa passed away in 2016 and every once in a while I'll turn on willies roadhouse and remember all the good times we had together on the road.

THIS is country.

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score
Funny

I have heard that song a few times and never knew it was Beyonce. I just thought it was another lame poppy new country song like 95% of country songs that are popular.

This song sums up most of the country today

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Funny what everyone’s opinion of what real country is. Country music originated from black folk music from
slaves and share croppers. Yes everyone wants to embrace this ideology that real country is from guys like Hank, Merle, Willie and DAC. When in reality it’s just one era of country as it’s progressed and changed over the years.

My cousin is a music historian and worked for the Library of Congress and a member of the Grand Old Opry. It’s always interesting at holidays to listen him talk and play music. Our ideas and concept of where country music came from are way off from reality. 🤷🏼‍♂️

C-2

Reaction score
A couple of my favorite Childers songs are "Feathered Indians" and "I'm all Your'n." I don't think his twang is forced. He's from the same area as Loretta Lynn, who had plenty of twang.
She is the exception and I was going to state so in my post, good catch . I only meant the forced twang on Wilson, I wrote it poorly. :)

C-2

Reaction score
Funny what everyone’s opinion of what real country is. Country music originated from black folk music from
slaves and share croppers. Yes everyone wants to embrace this ideology that real country is from guys like Hank, Merle, Willie and DAC. When in reality it’s just one era of country as it’s progressed and changed over the years.

My cousin is a music historian and worked for the Library of Congress and a member of the Grand Old Opry. It’s always interesting at holidays to listen him talk and play music. Our ideas and concept of where country music came from are way off from reality. 🤷🏼‍♂️
So what your saying is Blink182 are the new Dead Kennedy's ?:D:eek:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

I don't know if it's fair to say that it originated solely from black folk music. I've been to the alleged "birthplace of country music" in Bristol, VA and they argue that it's a blend of black folk music and Appalachian folk music. Your cousin doesn't mention the Scots-Irish mountain heritage involved also? That surprises me.

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I don't know if it's fair to say that it originated soley from black folk music. I've been to the alleged "birthplace of country music" in Bristol, VA and they argue that it's a blend of black folk music and Appalachian folk music. Your cousin doesn't mention the Scots-Irish mountain heritage involved also? That surprises me.
Where does "Soul" fit into this equation? I'm far from any expertise on music history. So much so that even though I listened to Reggae a lot I was still surprised to learn Bob Marley was half white.🤪😁

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I don't know if it's fair to say that it originated soley from black folk music. I've been to the alleged "birthplace of country music" in Bristol, VA and they argue that it's a blend of black folk music and Appalachian folk music. Your cousin doesn't mention the Scots-Irish mountain heritage involved also? That surprises me.

Kinda dig that All Walker plays bagpipes on a few of her tracks. 👍

Where does "Soul" fit into this equation? I'm far from any expertise on music history. So much so that even though I listened to Reggae a lot I was still surprised to learn Bob Marley was half white.🤪😁

Bob wasn't the originator of Reggae. Chris Blackwell did a good job making folks think he was though.

The Wailers were a hit in Jamaica, but had no idea they were being marketed as Bob Marley and the Wailers to the rest of the world. Let alone know just how many records were actually being sold. Some corrupt shit went down back then.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

You’re 100 percent correct on the origins. My point was people think real country music came from the 70/80’s. That was just another progression of the music.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
You’re 100 percent correct on the origins. My point was people think real country music came from the 70/80’s. That was just another progression of the music.
Nobody's debating the origin I've never thought it came from the 70's. Just like Led Zeppelin didn't create it but it's definitely rock & roll and in a class all it's own.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Nobody's debating the origin I've never thought it came from the 70's. Just like Led Zeppelin didn't create it but it's definitely rock & roll and in a class all it's own.

I’m sure our grandparents said the same thing about Hank Williams Jr as we are saying about Beyoncé. The younger crowd will probably be blasting that shit from their Surf boats in the channel all summer.