WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Moving a Tool Box

Rotten deal

Reaction score
The scissor lift style drop deck trailer is the only way to go as posted above. Done it multiple times. For a long trip I put on packing quilts and wrap a few ratchet straps around to make sure all drawers stay in .so simple.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Don't be this guy...:D

I had an old shop neighbor that i watched do something similar, a fully loaded 15 drawer Snap-On box about that size, Trying to get it up onto a low flat-bed trailer, dumbass didn't lock the drawers or run straps around them. Halfway up the ramp, 1 drawer, 2 drawer, 3 drawer, all drawers boom! Guy was a real dick to me about a month earlier so i laughed at first but then went over and helped him immediately. I was blown away, not a single bit of damage to that box, after dumping on it's face will all the drawers open

I don't even roll the one here at the shop around on flat floors without locking the drawers.

One of those tall costco boxes, i wouldn't even risk it, at least empty the top box and separate them so it's not so top heavy. Gives you an excuse to clean out all the drawers of dust and whatever else has gotten in there over the years. And clean all the tools as well.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Sounds like you don't work on shit very often. :)

LOL...or I'm just careful around my box. ;) Attention to detail man.

I like the yellow, can I have that table? I don't work on anything but I could stack stuff on it :D. I keep my tool box really clean as well.

Fab table works well. 5/8" plate steel top. Doesn't move without some serious effort. :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So, carefully remove the plastic to work on shit, and then carefully put it back on when you are done? Noted. :)

LOL...or I'm just careful around my box. ;) Attention to detail man.

Fab table works well. 5/8" plate steel top. Doesn't move without some serious effort. :)

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've moved mine twice. Smaller box and I have a liftgate. Second time I didnt sweep the bed and now the drawers are gritty when they open and close.
20170704_165733.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Moved my FIL's large Costco stainless from the top of Idaho this spring. The first thing is to split it due to being 6' tall and only 2' wide. Anything else would be just silly. After that, get ratchet straps around the drawers. Then it went into a box trailer with a ramp door. It was not terribly heavy as my BIL raided it and took most of the decent tools. Still 5-700 Lbs. Etrack in the trailer and more straps to the wall. Went 996 miles door to door without a hiccup. Now I just need to clean it up, I think this is possibly the dirtiest tool box I have ever seen. We are talking like chunks of grease and major oil stains and then lots and lots of dust.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I removed all drawers, tools still in them. Stacked with cardboard in between. Wheeled the empty cart up the moving truck ramp.

Large box. 2 guys.
This is how I did it to Oregon from Riverside and again from Oregon to Havasu but in an enclosed 24' car hauler. I screwed chocks into the floor at the wheels to make sure it didn't go anywhere. Both times, PERFECT.

buck35

Reaction score
Lift gate and box truck. Strap it good! The only way to go besides pulling all the drawers. That's how mine came home and its a big heavy mofo.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
So, carefully remove the plastic to work on shit, and then carefully put it back on when you are done? Noted. :)
Ehh, sort of. The plastic only comes up to the top to expose the drawers. All used tools go on top, on top of the plastic until they are cleaned prior to being put away...then the plastic goes back down to cover the front. :) Hope this helps with your box! LOL

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
LOL...!!!

Niiiiice.

All of my (currently 5) boxes all look as good of condition as when I got them, with no plastic, some trade ins, some new.

I guess I don't have that OCD deal goin on, sir. :)

Ive never entered them into a demolition derby, either, I guess. :)

Brian

Ehh, sort of. The plastic only comes up to the top to expose the drawers. All used tools go on top, on top of the plastic until they are cleaned prior to being put away...then the plastic goes back down to cover the front. :) Hope this helps with your box! LOL

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Currently (7), sorry, I did not count boxes at home. My bad. :)

LOL...!!!

Niiiiice.

All of my (currently 5) boxes all look as good of condition as when I got them, with no plastic, some trade ins, some new.

I guess I don't have that OCD deal goin on, sir. :)

Ive never entered them into a demolition derby, either, I guess. :)

Brian

Gripside80

Reaction score
1DB1ACDD-C245-4167-A251-3406CE58C39A.jpeg
Could be an option depending on the length of your box. I have always rented a box truck with a lift gate in the past.