WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prednisone. Any takes?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I’m on it, wife is on it and DuneCat is on it.

5 years ago I was on it for 3 weeks, it was amazing.

Arthritis returned and they put me on a 5 day blast fearing the side effects.
No results second time.

Anyone use it and what were your results? Any adverse side effects?

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
The wife was on it. Made her feel a lot better, but the mood swings about killed me. I think she was taking a pretty high dose for a year or more. She hated the side effects and it ended up taking almost 2 years to ween herself off of it. It fuks with the body to relive the pain, and then causes more pain to come off. Kind of like crack, I guess.

4Waters

Reaction score
Side effects are bad for me, bad insomnia and rage. I quit that shit cold turkey, it was a little rough for a couple hours and then I started to feel better, I was only on it for a few days for respiratory infection when I quit

endobear

Reaction score
Wife's on some steroids for her Addisons disease. I think its prednisone. Been on it for 13 years. My pet name for her is Blade Runner. She gets agro at times. Especially when they increase her dose for fighting infections.
She was just diagnosed with extreme osteoporosis at 47. A side affect of the years if steroids.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I used to get bad sinus infections. I would take a cycle of Prednisone for about 3 weeks. 6 pills for 6 days, 5 for 5, etc.
Felt GREAT when on it, jump right out of bed in the morning, no aches or pops.
Towards the middle of the cycle, 2 hours of sleep was normal and it was like rage was right there just waiting. They would give me different cycles that were not as intense, they were easier.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wife's on some steroids for her Addisons disease. I think its prednisone. Been on it for 13 years. My pet name for her is Blade Runner. She gets agro at times. Especially when they increase her dose for fighting infections.
She was just diagnosed with extreme osteoporosis at 47. A side affect of the years if steroids.
She is sooo going to kick your ass if she reads this 😂

sirbob

Reaction score
I'm a fan

I got prescribed years ago for bad sinus back ups.

Today my doc gives me 20mg tabs 100 at a time. I don't take it often but when I feel my nose getting backed up I break one in half and take 10/5/5 over three days and it clears me up.

You have to wean off them - you should not be taking 10/10/10 then stop

Most of the time docs prescribe it as a Z pack or something like that where they have you take for a week or 2 with gradually lower doses every day.

There were times when my wife was sick before she died they had her taking 80mg a day - while she needed it to manage her disease, that had major side effects with that large a dose.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
i’ve taken it for short bursts in the past and it was amamzing for attacking my back pain.

going through some stuff now that might require longer term usage. docs do not like long term usage so are exhausting all other avenues first.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I've been through a cycle of them 3 different times each for 10 days, always for sinus issues, always did the job.
I do not recall side effects 🙄 but who knows, my wife might have noticed some😂🤣

Reactions: TPC

riverroyal

Reaction score
I was on it for years with my heart issues. I gained weight, would get pissed quick. I tried to wean off for year, anytime I got below 5mg the heart issue came back. They added another med to help get off prednisone. You read that right, take another to get of the other.. After a year I got under 5mg per day. Went to 4, 3,2,1 over a 6 months period.
This is one drug that is 'do the benefits outweigh the side effects?' For me yes, Im not sure I had any other options. Long term its not really unsafe in small doses. Your body already makes a chemical like prednisone. So small amounts help that.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Been prescribed for sinus infections. It works but makes me jittery, I'm not a fan but that's what it usually takes to knock out the infection.

Lotoguy

Reaction score
They put me on it for shoulder pain and it literally made me go crazy. I seriously thought I was having a panic attack everyday for 2 weeks. My blood pressure was through the roof and I only slept about 2 hours per night. I don't know if the dosage was too high or what. Eventually my adrenal gland kicked back in and all of a sudden I felt a calming throughout my whole body and I was back to normal. Never again for me. I'd rather die.

Cousineddy

Reaction score
i take it occasionally for flare ups due to having rheumatoid arthritis, causes gnarly insomnia, It helps with the pain, but almost not worth it to me, because of the lack of sleep.

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm a fan

I got prescribed years ago for bad sinus back ups.

Today my doc gives me 20mg tabs 100 at a time. I don't take it often but when I feel my nose getting backed up I break one in half and take 10/5/5 over three days and it clears me up.

You have to wean off them - you should not be taking 10/10/10 then stop

Most of the time docs prescribe it as a Z pack or something like that where they have you take for a week or 2 with gradually lower doses every day.

There were times when my wife was sick before she died they had her taking 80mg a day - while she needed it to manage her disease that had major side effects with that large a dose.
Have you had your adenoids looked at? Both my kids had large adenoids and had chronic sinus infections, we had them removed and the infections went away. My daughter had hers removed when she was 5 and has had 1 sinus infection since, she is 16 now. My son had his "removed" when he was 5 as well but continued to have sinus infections, we went back to the ENT who discovered that the surgeon only did a reduction so my son had to have surgery again and hasn't had one since and he is 12.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I’m on it, wife is on it and DuneCat is on it.

5 years ago I was on it for 3 weeks, it was amazing.

Arthritis returned and they put me on a 5 day blast fearing the side effects.
No results second time.

Anyone use it and what were your results? Any adverse side effects?
Is it a Medrol pack?

I have to take it a couple of times a year and it works great. It's a 5 pr 6 day deal

The best I have ever felt was after a Toradol shot. Shit was legit

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 over 5 days.
Wife on the same.
Cats got some Veterinary plan version.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My dog has Addisons we’re on year six. He gets 2.5mg a day (16lbs). Percorten every 25-30 days. He doesn’t like to be touched if he comes up to you it’s a it’s a firm maybe… Otherwise he’s a psychotic little asshole who goes crazy for no reason… Much like a woman👀🤣

rightytighty

Reaction score
It’s my go to when I have poison oak flair ups in the spring time.

Been the best part of covid for me.

Last few years Ive been able to get my scrip over the phone with a call in. 🙏

svlperry

Reaction score
I’m on it for a kidney transplant feels normal to me

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s great as long as it’s a very short term dose. I was prescribed it at one point for a year, was horrible to get off of. But I’ve also since done a few 5-7 day doses and that’s not bad at all and helps a lot.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
I got put on it July of 19 for a bad respiratory infection, it is the Devil’s Medicine for me, couldn’t sleep serious anxiety and I can’t take it again. My wife has taken it twice lays her head down and lights out. I the was on the 40mg for 10 days it did work though.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I was a kid, Mom used to call it my "Mean Medicine". Jekyll & Hyde kind of potion.( When I was older, and a full bore asshole, it became one of the reasons I never did steroids lifting weights. I already had a hair trigger temper, figured I'd be dead or in prison.) Told doctors since that I have a "bad reaction" to it, and they've prescribed other things.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have taken it for back issues and more recently for my vaccine injury. I do 11 day cycles starting at 60mg and tapering down to 20mg. Amazing stuff but if you take it for more than a couple of weeks you can have issues. My doc also does not like to prescribe it more than once in a 6 month period. I wish I could stay on it forever.

hman442

Reaction score
My allergy Doc prescribed it to help me get off the Afrin. It was like a two week script. What I noticed, helped my nose, but my shoulder that was painful (since had surgery) didn't hurt at all while on it. I was like Hell Ya, emailed the Doc back for more, he called, and said Hell no, one script per year, tops! That's when I read up on it and agreed with the Doc.

4Waters

Reaction score
My allergy Doc prescribed it to help me get off the Afrin. It was like a two week script. What I noticed, helped my nose, but my shoulder that was painful (since had surgery) didn't hurt at all while on it. I was like Hell Ya, emailed the Doc back for more, he called, and said Hell no, one script per year, tops! That's when I read up on it and agreed with the Doc.
HCQ might help you with that

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Yes but the rage isn't worth it to me. Had to be on a z pack last Aug. Couldn't wait to be done.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I did the 7 day Medrol pack back in September when I had a PMR flare up. Disease snuck up on me and hit all at once. Went from lifting weights and hiking almost everyday to not being able to get out of bed the next morning. Scary shit. After the 7 day pack I was put on Prednisone and have been fighting with the VA Rheumatologist ever since. I have been weaning down from 25mg a day to 20 and now I am at 15. I've been dropping 5mg a week so I can get back into the pain zone so she can "diagnose" me.
I haven't really noticed any mood effects. If anything my mood is more affected more on the pain and stiffness I feel right now. When I am on 25 I freaking feel great. I also think it is way important to take supplements while on this to minimize the adverse effects it can have.

dave29

Reaction score
I was on it for three months. 120mg per day which is huge. Immunotherapy gave me colitis, pseudo gout and rheumatoid arthritis. Took another few months to taper off.
Slept about three hours a day. Started baking which I never did before and ate a lot. Went from 210 pounds to 152 then back up to 190.. The drug really helped me. The colitis was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Slept in the bathroom some nights so I could get to the throne quickly. Was on Methotrexate at the same time for the RA. Metho is a kidney killer and I only have one kidney. Sometimes it seems that the cure is worse than the disease.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Long term is just isn’t good for you. I have been on doses as high at 150mg daily to attempt to control my disease. My rage was really bad at doses over 80mg daily. I am normally very patient and don’t yell. My mood swings were out of control. I hated who I was. I would bruise easily, my bones became weaker and I could feel all the aches as I walked a short distance. It also caused stomach lining issues, bone density problems, etc. I gained over 40lbs and my face became very round and puffy. When the doctors switched me up to infusions, I had to start the tapering down process. Since I was on high doses, it would take some time-more then a year to get me down to 10 mg. During that, I suffered shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, teeth sensitivity issues, bad dreams, my heart would flutter, etc. I would have to go down 5mg every two weeks and when it was time for the next taper, I would suffer for a few days. The lower you go, the slower the taper.

It helped control my disease mildly when the doctors were trying to figure out a treatment plan for me so I’m thankful for that , but I have hated it entirely and am still on it.

Last edited:

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I was on it for several years due to constant sinus issues. I had no sense of taste or smell for the bulk of those years unless I was on the prednisone. I never had the rage issue but I gained 50 lbs. and as others have said it can really mess with your sleep. It also changed the shape of my face.

I had sinus surgery about 5 years ago and was able to get off the prednisone. I didn’t notice any adverse effects getting off of it.

My sinus polyps came back a little over a year ago and my doc said I’ll need to do a short cycle every 6 months or so. I also have to do a cycle from time to time when my asthma starts acting up.

It works well for short cycles but I don’t want to ever go on it long term again.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I was on it for several years due to constant sinus issues. I had no sense of taste or smell for the bulk of those years unless I was on the prednisone. I never had the rage issue but I gained 50 lbs. and as others have said it can really mess with your sleep. It also changed the shape of my face.

I had sinus surgery about 5 years ago and was able to get off the prednisone. I didn’t notice any adverse effects getting off of it.

My sinus polyps came back a little over a year ago and my doc said I’ll need to do a short cycle every 6 months or so. I also have to do a cycle from time to time when my asthma starts acting up.

It works well for short cycles but I don’t want to ever go on it long term again.
I had bad sinus infections with polyps as well. After the last surgery, my ENT put me on Dupixent. I give myself a shot every 2 weeks. I’ve been on it for almost 2 years and barely even take allergy medicine anymore. Huge difference. Might be worth a conversation with your Dr.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I only get it for poison oak, rash. a week supply.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Amazing applications.
I had no clue it’s so versatile.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I read from someone that while on Prednisone, one should be taking a D3/K2 supplement to help minimize issues that it can have on you. I just ordered some of that to help prevent any further issues.

emf

Reaction score
I have been on prednisone for 11yrs , have rheumatoid arthritis, and mussel inflammation, I’m at 10 mg daily , my body dose not produce enough naturally , no real side effects for me

Socalx09

Reaction score
I read from someone that while on Prednisone, one should be taking a D3/K2 supplement to help minimize issues that it can have on you. I just ordered some of that to help prevent any further issues.
My doctor recommended those to me as well. Costco has a good deal on a two pack.

Other medications to try to reduce long term damage of prednisone are alendronate once weekly if the daily dosage is over 30mg to help protect the bones. Bactrim to help reduce PJP which is a serious pneumonia. These were added to my regime because of my high dosage and I kept getting infections from my immune system being on prednisone for a while. I’m no longer on those now.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I was on a megadose of it years ago when I was first diagnosed with asthma. Doctor told me one of the major side effects is cataracts. I had that surgery earlier this year.