WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Someone tried to get into the work truck

Socalx09

Reaction score
Robert told me when he got home today that he noticed the handles on his work truck flipped up yesterday. I looked back at the cameras and there was a motion alert for a person at 1:31 am. The guy tried all handles before moving on. If the guy showed up at 2am, he probably would have met Robert since that is when he leaves for work. A few months ago, a neighbors car was stolen in 1 minute on Saturday morning at 8am.

We could lock up the work truck in the backyard. I like knowing that a car is at least parked in the front for part of the night.

Do you guys like to secure all your vehicles if space allows in a garage or backyard. Or do you like something parked out front? Don’t want to deal with stolen catalytic converters either.

Im feeling under the weather and can’t sleep right now so I’ll be watching the cameras tonight incase he shows up again. All I can do is sound the outdoor alarm to scare him off or call the police.. I’m not going to confront anyone about property or even try to get Robert involved because I don’t think it’s worth finding out what some of those guys are capable of.

If someone were to break in, I have two dogs that would alert, plus a few items of protection. I will be terrified if that were to happen, but I have prepared as best as I can to protect myself since I’m alone after 2am most nights.. I am pretty paranoid though. Might put a motion alert when someone crosses a certain area of the property at night. My backyard seems to be most vulnerable as one side of the wall opens up to the street.

I want to look into getting a shotgun soon and some range time wouldn’t hurt if someone were to break in.
IMG_5933.png

Your ad here

Reaction score
Shotguns are dumb for home self defense. The pump noise is a location giveaway, they're to big, and to slow to shoot. If you're gonna shoot at someone you're shooting to kill them, not scare them. A Glock 19 is the best home self defense gun. Just load the thing and pull the trigger. It will fire and there is no safety's or anything on the user end to prevent it from firing.

4Waters

Reaction score
Shotguns are dumb for home self defense. The pump noise is a location giveaway, they're to big, and to slow to shoot. If you're gonna shoot at someone you're shooting to kill them, not scare them. A Glock 19 is the best home self defense gun. Just load the thing and pull the trigger. It will fire and there is no safety's or anything on the user end to prevent it from firing.
Wrong, just the pump action makes people leave, it's a signature sound, a cop friend of mine told me how often he responds to a burglary in progress and when they get there they see where they got in the house but are nowhere to be found because the home owner racked his shotgun, most don't even have ammo, just the sound made them leave. You also have to be pointed in the general direction of the person to hit them unlike a pistol and 00 buck is very unlikely to go through drywall, stucco, across the street and go through stucco and drywall and hit your neighbor. Outside of a slug shotgun rounds typically stay in the house. Unless you are willing to spend thousands on training with a pistol for home defense a shotgun is the way to go, mine is 100% legal and I can stand in my hallway and turn 180° with very little manipulation of the gun.

Socalx09

Reaction score
I didn’t realize shotguns were a bad home defense weapon. For my situation- i have a small home, but large property- if someone were to break into the front area, they have a hallway to get to me and that’s it. I figured I would aim down the hallway and a shotgun would do the job. I’d be terrified, I
but I would have better aim with a shotgun to eliminate the threat. If someone were to break into my bedroom slider, I would hopefully get to my gun in time. I have practice in bed to grab the gun and aim. It is definitely alarming when you just wake up and that is something hard to simulate.

I still need to try a Glock, I have a Beretta 40 cal at the moment.

Edit- it’s a beretta 9mm for my house gun- I have both the 40 and 9 version.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
A pump action shotgun in the hands of someone who is "Moderately well-trained" will be hands down the best home defense platform.....period. Loaded with the proper ammunition, you can do some significant damage with accurate results. I have always been a fan of that platform.....but you HAVE to train with it!!

I'm also a fan of the Glock platform, as it too has its place. Again, the user needs to be well-trained and needs to understand the limitations that type of firearm will have under certain situations.

Regardless of which route you take, please please please do your research and TRAIN with whatever you decide to use.

Backlash

Reaction score
Familiarize yourself with laws pertaining to self-defense and what you are legally able to do in order to defend yourself and your family. And consider what you're willing to lose should things end up in a terrible situation. Sure, you may be found "Not guilty" of committing a crime, and could be free from prosecution. But, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be free and clear of any civil litigation. There is always the chance you could be sued in the event you harm/kill an intruder. Just take the time to read up on case law and speak with attorneys so you know where you stand.

Socalx09

Reaction score
A pump action shotgun in the hands of someone who is "Moderately well-trained" will be hands down the best home defense platform.....period. Loaded with the proper ammunition, you can do some significant damage with accurate results. I have always been a fan of that platform.....but you HAVE to train with it!!

I'm also a fan of the Glock platform, as it too has its place. Again, the user needs to be well-trained and needs to understand the limitations that type of firearm will have under certain situations.

Regardless of which route you take, please please please do your research and TRAIN with whatever you decide to use.
I would 100% need shotgun training. I don’t think I have fired one. I have taken a lot of private classes for my guns that I have. Once I found what I was most comfortable shooting, I trained specifically with that gun. Once I felt more comfortable, he incorporated some stress or situationally trainings for what I was concerned most- home defense. I would dry fire at home and practice around walls, etc. I have a plan in place to protect my dogs and my grandma- she is somewhat losing it and I worry about her wondering. So I somewhat have a plan for each entry point of the house. This could all go out the window of course as stress and panic can set it in- I am a bit paranoid as you can tell, but I would rather plan ahead of time then have no plan at all.

I do need to find a new trainer since the guy I was using left the state I believe.

DLC

Reaction score
I think before you go down that rabbit hole hole ….. get a dog - medium size that will bark!

You don’t need an aggressive dog just a Good size bark! A 30 lb middle aged dog rescue …

also
get spot light cameras so you can ID the fucker ! Seeing a shadow at night doesn’t help

Reactions: DWC

Socalx09

Reaction score
I think before you go down that rabbit hole hole ….. get a dog - medium size that will bark!

You don’t need an aggressive dog just a Good size bark! A 30 lb middle aged dog rescue …

also
get spot light cameras so you can ID the fucker ! Seeing a shadow at night doesn’t help
Well, here’s my squad!..my lab has a solid deep bark, but may lick you to death. I am not sure how he would actually react to a threat. My malitpoo barks at anything and will try to ankle bite. I worry about him acting like the Billy bad ass he thinks he is.

Will add some spotlights. Especially in the backyard. I do wish we went with the ring spot light cameras. They have a good spotlight and siren built in.

IMG_5494.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Well, here’s my squad!..my lab has a solid deep bark, but may lick you to death. I am not sure how he would actually react to a threat. My malitpoo barks at anything and will try to ankle bite. I worry about him acting like the Billy bad ass he thinks he is.

Will add some spotlights. Especially in the backyard. I do wish we went with the ring spot light cameras. They have a good spotlight and siren built in.

View attachment 1338440
As for a home invasion/ break in Those 2 are the best defense….

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I won't speak to the firearms aspect, because it's too hard to figure someone else's comfort and skill level. Car thieves, home invasion types and tweakers checking parked rides tend to be 3 different groups. Different levels of stupidity and aggression I'd think.

A guy I know was just telling me about camera systems for service trucks. Not like the windshield cams, more like Ring doorbell setups. Much better angles and proximity to the idiots in question. I used to keep my service beds or trucks with equipment in the back, behind a gate. If someone really wanted to steal from it, they'd have to work a little. Just that tends to keep the lower level dumbasses out. They want easy money. With the way service trucks are stolen now, probably not a bad idea to park it in back, or blocked in.

The dog team will do more than you think. The little one will wake up the bigger one, ad they know who should be there.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I don’t leave anything out front. I’ve had people stop and steal my landscaping retention blocks.

Fence off as much of your property as possible, including the front yard. 😉

Socalx09

Reaction score
I won't speak to the firearms aspect, because it's too hard to figure someone else's comfort and skill level. Car thieves, home invasion types and tweakers checking parked rides tend to be 3 different groups. Different levels of stupidity and aggression I'd think.

A guy I know was just telling me about camera systems for service trucks. Not like the windshield cams, more like Ring doorbell setups. Much better angles and proximity to the idiots in question. I used to keep my service beds or trucks with equipment in the back, behind a gate. If someone really wanted to steal from it, they'd have to work a little. Just that tends to keep the lower level dumbasses out. They want easy money. With the way service trucks are stolen now, probably not a bad idea to park it in back, or blocked in.

The dog team will do more than you think. The little one will wake up the bigger one, ad they know who should be there.
I have learned that some of the service body doors are easily opened with a flat head. This guy hoped something was left unlocked as he didn’t do anything else in the minute he was there. I don’t know if he’ll come back with the right tools or someone else one day might be more prepared. Those cameras sound really cool, I wonder if that’s something the company should look into. The cameras we have barely identify the person and you won’t see a license plate. It will just alert you and most of the time you will sleep through the phone alert.

It is sad about many times you hear about service trucks being stolen. It is someone’s entire livelihood. In my dad’s community, a plumber has a boot on his wheel he puts on daily and multiple locks, etc. He has had it stolen before as well my dad’s van years back. They don’t even want the truck, just the tools inside.
L

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

View attachment 1338440
All they have to do is wake you up in time. That’s it.
No gun in the world will help you if your asleep.

4Waters

Reaction score
The "rack the shotgun" thing always cracked me up. You mean to tell me your primary home defense gun is not chambered and ready to defend your family?
I get it but are you going to call the homeowners bluff? For the record, no bluffing here. I made my wife shoot it, she didn't want to but I told her she needs to that way she won't hesitate if someone is in the house. After she cranked off a few rounds she said she was glad she did because she probably would have hesitated because of the unknown, now she knows what to expect.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

Really? That's your response? I know I'm not the most tactful person, but come on. How about "I don't know if a shotgun is the best choice because of the action noise. . ."

I don't want to shoot anyone if I can avoid it. If I can rack the shotgun and the intruder hears it and leaves, then that's a win for me. I understand your argument, and it's a valid one. But your delivery could use some help.

A Glock 19 is not the best gun for everyone. It may be for you, but it's heavy when full of ammo, and it's big. The best gun for home defense is the one you are comfortable shooting. Period.

These lights are amazing. We had them all over the Reno house and shop. They take 4 D batteries. Every New Year, I change the batteries in everything, whether they need it or not. One year, though, I didn't change out a couple and they lasted over two years. They are extremely easy to install, because I had Jeff install them 🤣 Seriously, though, no wiring. I assume the OP is in CA, but freezing temps in Reno didn't affect the performance.

Mr. Beams Lights — Amazon

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 7.07.07 AM.png

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

View attachment 1338440
Black Dogs Matter, that assault Labador will do what it needs to do when called upon. Listen to Uncle Joe, get a shotgun, and blast away.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Im all for guns and self protection. However it's another thing to actually shoot someone over property. The movies make it look easy and carefree. It is not. I would park everything behind a gate/fence if possible.

Taboma

Reaction score
I find it odd there's been no mention or discussion of a good vehicle alarm system, which would seem like a great investment for a service body packed with tools.
As much as blowing some thief away would gratify, I'm afraid at least in CA and many states, regardless of the outcome, you'd lose everything not just some tools.

Deterrent would seem to be the best strategy.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Before I lost it in an unfortunate boating accident among others, this was my go to for home defense. Simple to use AR platform but not going through walls to the neighbors house, plus you can add tactical light and laser or customize to your liking.

1708612549405.png

Attachments

• 1708612495950.png
    1708612495950.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 19

dezertrider

Reaction score
I had issues like this in 2010ish. These guys are loking for an easy opportunity with unlocked doors. My service body had secondary locks that would electronicly lock from the key fob. Worked great until one night I left everything unlocked and they got away with about $5k in tools. They are persistant little fuckers.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Just get a German Shepard....my girl knows her job....she patrols the exterior of the house when we are not home. at night she sleeps in the house....I can almost guarantee you nobody would make it 3 steps into the house before they were met with some pretty sharp teeth...lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
What state are you in? If in CA, remember you have to be in fear for your life. Someone stealing you truck probably isn’t going to count. In TX they got it right. Fair game to protect property at night as you can’t really tell if they have a gun on them.

Ps a shotgun is great for HD. Get the correct rounds and you’re fine. I’d also suggest a semi auto vs a pump. If you’re pointing a gun at someone it’s time to use it, it’s not for scaring people. In our house, I run the AR and my wife runs the 930spx. I’d suggest an A300 ultima or 1301 instead as the 930. I’ll be switching to the1301 soon.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
What state are you in? If in CA, remember you have to be in fear for your life. Someone stealing you truck probably isn’t going to count. In TX they got it right. Fair game to protect property at night as you can’t really tell if they have a gun on them.

Ps a shotgun is great for HD. Get the correct rounds and you’re fine. I’d also suggest a semi auto vs a pump. If you’re pointing a gun at someone it’s time to use it, it’s not for scaring people. In our house, I run the AR and my wife runs the 930spx. I’d suggest an A300 ultima or 1301 instead as the 930. I’ll be switching to the1301 soon.

I am pretty sure she didnt say she was going to shoot the guy stealing the truck....she said IF someone were to break into her house, she would like to have some protection.

And I agree...a shotgun is a great home defense gun, especially for someone that is very experienced at shooting...down a hallway, in the dark, scared, a 9mm can easily miss the target....a shotgun in the same scenerio, aim down the hall and pull the trigger....and if you are worried about the pump action being slow....get a semi-auto shotgun...maybe a tactical style with shorter barrel....

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I’ve had my service truck broken into twice and cleaned all my tools out. Snapon Matco etc. very costly but insurance will cover with account of depreciation, better than nothing.

As far as preventing it just making sure it was 100% locked up. The box was a scelzi so it had the round stock style key which unfortunately I think can be made very roughly and will work. Unfortunately I know my stuff was locked up and still got wiped out.

I now have a Douglas which is a regular key style and I have had nothing happen other than the cab broken into. 😑

Imo the lights would be enough or maybe program the camera to say something when it detects motion that late at night if possible. I know some guys have wired the alarm system of the truck to the box doors with small 12v sensors or made there own alarm system. Maybe do like a hot wire system but the whole box? Whenever you touch the handle you get zapped

I’m not too big on cameras as I hate seeing who’s ripping me off because I know the cops won’t do a damn thing about it even though they say they will. Maybe just my luck hopefully.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I love when people make gun recommendations off of what they like as if that matters to anyone else.
Also when people claim that a certain weapon won’t be lethal. lol ok if it’s no big deal let me shoot you and see how easily you shrug it off.

The best answer to crime problems is to move. And when you buy property study the neighborhood for entry and exit points that bad guys could use as well the property layout, fences, bedroom and windows locations for line of sight.

2Driver

Reaction score
You never “kill” someone or “shoot” someone , you “stopped” the threat.

Remember how to say it to police or when calling 911. Simple use of words that make a huge difference when you are being prosecuted or sued in civil court

At the end of the day Id go with bear mace or a stun gun unless it was obvious I needed to use a weapon.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I find it odd there's been no mention or discussion of a good vehicle alarm system, which would seem like a great investment for a service body packed with tools.
As much as blowing some thief away would gratify, I'm afraid at least in CA and many states, regardless of the outcome, you'd lose everything not just some tools.

Deterrent would seem to be the best strategy.
Yep. At the company I retired from every new truck went straight to the alarm company to have all the bins wired for security after a few break ins. All the older trucks got the same. Break ins dont just happen at home. 👍

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You never “kill” someone or “shoot” someone , you “stopped” the threat.

Remember how to say it to police or when calling 911. Simple use of words that make a huge difference when you are being prosecuted or sued in civil court
San Bernardino county police department taught me “ I was afraid for the lives of my family and myself” then STFU period.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
IDGAF......If someone breaks into my residence and I am there a big baseball bat :) is coming out for sure. No hesitation on my end as I will be "fearing for my life" IF they are inside.

Outside concerning property is a completely different situation and needs handled according to local laws in play.

Socalx09

Reaction score
I think I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and we have in SB county, not city territory. Hell my cousins live in Coto behind gated security and they had their car broken into. So it can only appear safe until something happens.

Just preparing for the what ifs. I won’t encounter anyone over property. I won’t go outside. Plus, it’s not worth something happening that insurance could replace. The only thing that I do not like is how California views pets as property.

I think he’s just going to park the truck in the back now. He’s going to mention it to the company and maybe they’ll improve their systems. I actually don’t think an alarm on the truck activates unless the glass breaks or whatever factory alarm it came with. But, with it in the back, it will be harder to access.

We won’t have a car in the front which I hate- but it is what it is. I guess it doesn’t really matter to criminals anymore if the house appears empty or not.

I know the words to say if a threat to my life happens.

Probably going to the range this weekend
or next to practice with my 9mm. I just don’t like it a lot which is way I have the beretta since I am most familiar with it. I could probably throw that gun and knock someone out with it. It is pretty heavy.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Yep. At the company I retired from every new truck went straight to the alarm company to have all the bins wired for security after a few break ins. All the older trucks got the same. Break ins dont just happen at home. 👍
I think that may be the thing to do. Years ago we took the standard pin switches, the ones that would ground when open, and wire them up to a horn. The other side of the horn would then be wired to the B+, and interrupted by a toggle switch in the cab. I think many of the new utility beds are already setup with switches like this for lights, shouldn't be hard to tie into. All my trucks were old, and not worth a fraction of what they carried.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the TV and movie scenes (and I'm sure in real life) where the "character" pulls back the slide on a hand gun or "racks a round" , the simple release of a safety is silent 😂

Socalx09

Reaction score
Really? That's your response? I know I'm not the most tactful person, but come on. How about "I don't know if a shotgun is the best choice because of the action noise. . ."

I don't want to shoot anyone if I can avoid it. If I can rack the shotgun and the intruder hears it and leaves, then that's a win for me. I understand your argument, and it's a valid one. But your delivery could use some help.

A Glock 19 is not the best gun for everyone. It may be for you, but it's heavy when full of ammo, and it's big. The best gun for home defense is the one you are comfortable shooting. Period.

These lights are amazing. We had them all over the Reno house and shop. They take 4 D batteries. Every New Year, I change the batteries in everything, whether they need it or not. One year, though, I didn't change out a couple and they lasted over two years. They are extremely easy to install, because I had Jeff install them 🤣 Seriously, though, no wiring. I assume the OP is in CA, but freezing temps in Reno didn't affect the performance.

Mr. Beams Lights — Amazon

View attachment 1338545
Thank you for the light recommendation.

And yes, if I could avoid shooting someone, I’d like to avoid it. So if a shotgun can make someone run out the door before I have to face the threat, that would be the best outcome. I never want to use my firearm unless I’m at the range. And, it seems like that may be the best way to ensure my life and families weren’t going to be taken if a threat were to enter the home.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Wrong, just the pump action makes people leave, it's a signature sound, a cop friend of mine told me how often he responds to a burglary in progress and when they get there they see where they got in the house but are nowhere to be found because the home owner racked his shotgun, most don't even have ammo, just the sound made them leave. You also have to be pointed in the general direction of the person to hit them unlike a pistol and 00 buck is very unlikely to go through drywall, stucco, across the street and go through stucco and drywall and hit your neighbor. Outside of a slug shotgun rounds typically stay in the house. Unless you are willing to spend thousands on training with a pistol for home defense a shotgun is the way to go, mine is 100% legal and I can stand in my hallway and turn 180° with very little manipulation of the gun.
Yep... lol....just that Clickity Clack is an effective deterrent.. and them people are usually familiar with that sound .... maybe not my choice for home protection, but I feel pretty confident with a hand gun and the element of surprise....

Socalx09

Reaction score
Just get a German Shepard....my girl knows her job....she patrols the exterior of the house when we are not home. at night she sleeps in the house....I can almost guarantee you nobody would make it 3 steps into the house before they were met with some pretty sharp teeth...lol
IMG_0421.jpeg

This was Gunny (GS) and hunter. I miss them both. But yes, no one is messing with a German Shepherd. The amount of hair between a lab and German shepherd was another dog.

traquer

Reaction score
Before I lost it in an unfortunate boating accident among others, this was my go to for home defense. Simple to use AR platform but not going through walls to the neighbors house, plus you can add tactical light and laser or customize to your liking.

View attachment 1338565

Be careful if you're relying on that. I bought the smaller version below with home defense in mind also. After shooting it a bit I realized 2 things:

1) with magazine-fed shotguns you can't keep mags loaded with buckshot or anything other than slugs.. Because the shells and the pellets inside compress and the shells become oval-shaped, meaning they won't feed at all, or won't feed reliably after about a week in the 6 round mag. The 10 roudn mag I'm sure is worse.

2) There's a reason magazine-fed shotguns aren't used more by law enforcement and others. They're not bulletproof and jam more than you'd like, as shot shells weren't designed to be magazine fed. Granted my VRF4 very rarely jams on slugs or buckshots (it hates bird shot), I wouldn't trust my life on it. It's back to glock with a flashlight and laser on it for me..

1708621229468.png