WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Something really bad in the channel

FCT

Reaction score
Horrible. Idk how parents don’t watch their kids.

I was at a kids swim party last weekend and was one of the only parents watching the kids like a hawk instead of drinking and partying with all the other adults. I had just got in the water to play with my 3 year old and I look over and a 5 year old little girl was under and not coming back up in the deep end. I threw my kid on the deck and dove down and got her. If I was not there she would have drowned with all the other kids in the pool and no kids or parents even noticed. Don’t know the situation in Havasu this weekend but I see it all the time with parents not paying attention to the kids swimming.absolutely insane if you ask me. I hope the little girl pulls through ❤️

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

I was at a kids swim party last weekend and was one of the only parents watching the kids like a hawk instead of drinking and partying with all the other adults. I had just got in the water to play with my 3 year old and I look over and a 5 year old little girl was under and not coming back up in the deep end. I threw my kid on the deck and dove down and got her. If I was not there she would have drowned with all the other kids in the pool and no kids or parents even noticed. Don’t know the situation in Havasu this weekend but I see it all the time with parents not paying attention to the kids swimming.absolutely insane if you ask me. I hope the little girl pulls through ❤️
THIS ^^^^^

Thanks for taking your parental responsibilities seriously. Double thumbs up.

I GIANT component of why I stopped.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score

Great Save! My son when he was in high school was a life guard for hire for parties. Seek out your local high school for kids in the swim or water polo program, there are many that are certified to perform this task for a very reasonable price and they get service hours.

DWC

Reaction score
https://a.co/d/axxt3tx

Put one on your boat, even if you don't know how to use it chances are good that somebody around you will. View attachment 1235471
This and the life jacket post 👍. IMO No one should criticize the parents. Could have happened to 99% of us at some point, especially those with fearless kids.
Keep in mind RDP’s reach is incredible. There’s a really good chance someone on here knows the family..

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Life Vests for kids - PERIOD. By law, when on a boat. By responsible, common sense parents when wading, collecting shells/rocks on the shore or 'swimming'. Today's kid's Vests are light weight, easy to wear and colorful. No way that little girl had a vest on. It would not have allowed her body to lay on the bottom.

Seemed unusual for a near drowning to be life flighted from HRMC. Makes me wonder what medical needs they were unable to provide. Near drownings are far too common here. Whatever capabilities HRMC lacks to properly care for a near drowning, that lack should be corrected.

Warlock1

Reaction score
This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil. Fucking degenerate parents that want to party and do "adult things" and expect someone else to watch their kids. And yes I don't care how good the parents are, they are pieces of shit that behave like this. Not watching their kids around water, letting them ride quads that are way to big or without safety gear, play in or around fire or any other dangerous situation without a designated person(s) watching them. They just roll up with a cooler and tell the kids to be careful or "Hey so and so watch your little brother". When in fact that child is to small and should be watched as well.
I have found myself to be a rescuer many times, mainly for adults because of reckless situations. Which is probably why I now prefer the quiet places away from people so I can relax and not hover and worry about everybody else.
Apologies for the rant and yes I ill always be there to help and coordinate if need be.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Great Save! My son when he was in high school was a life guard for hire for parties. Seek out your local high school for kids in the swim or water polo program, there are many that are certified to perform this task for a very reasonable price and they get service hours.
We did this several times. We used our kids swim instructors. I am not a strong swimmer and if I dove in I would probably belly flop.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Life Vests for kids - PERIOD. By law, when on a boat. By responsible, common sense parents when wading, collecting shells/rocks on the shore or 'swimming'. Today's kid's Vests are light weight, easy to wear and colorful. No way that little girl had a vest on. It would not have allowed her body to lay on the bottom.

Seemed unusual for a near drowning to be life flighted from HRMC. Makes me wonder what medical needs they were unable to provide. Near drownings are far too common here. Whatever capabilities HRMC lacks to properly care for a near drowning, that lack should be corrected.
Probably flown to a children hospital.

gqchris

Reaction score
https://a.co/d/axxt3tx

Put one on your boat, even if you don't know how to use it chances are good that somebody around you will. View attachment 1235471
I keep this and an AED in my boat and cars. My wife thinks I am nuts, but all it takes is needing it ONE time. Also a dechoker is in my jump bags as well. I have personally had a friend save his kid with one.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I keep this and an AED in my boat and cars. My wife thinks I am nuts, but all it takes is needing it ONE time. Also a dechoker is in my jump bags as well. I have personally had a friend save his kid with one.
What is a dechoker?

hallett3

Reaction score
Hope she pulls through poor little girl. In a positive, hope people reading this will vest up there kids in shallow waters. I’m in my sixties and always had my kids vested up on the boat, shallow waters and even at the beach. People looked at my wife and I like we over board on the vest at the beach. Hell, I even now with all the drownings at lakes when people just jump off the boat really got me thinking. I vest up now. My 30/40 year old kids also vest up now when jumping off the boat. So many things happen and this is just another worry off my mind. We are here to have fun. Hate hearing tragedies like this . Again praying for the little girl . 🙏

4Waters

Reaction score
What is a dechoker?
61Cba9RLhvL.jpg

Deckin Around

Reaction score
What is a dechoker?
Also a dechoker is in my jump bags as well. I have personally had a friend save his kid with one.

they kept showing up in my Instagram feed with all these life-saving stories so I bought 6. 1 went to each set of grandparents, 1 in each primary vehicle, 1 at the riverhouse, 1 at home
3034EC27-4414-4878-BE00-DB99C48808E2.png

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Life jackets, life jackets, life jackets.

You can’t see them when they go under water. It’s not a pool.
When our oldest was about two, we took them to Hawaii and we got private swimming lessons.

The instructor addressed us and told us that anytime there’s swimming involved, you always have to designate an individual adult who’s in charge of watching the kids. If everybody’s watching them, then nobody’s watching them she said.

she went on to say that there’s no flailing or noise like in the movies. She said “it’s a silent tragedy“.

Singleton

Reaction score
This and the life jacket post 👍. IMO No one should criticize the parents. Could have happened to 99% of us at some point, especially those with fearless kids.
Keep in mind RDP’s reach is incredible. There’s a really good chance someone on here knows the family..

Not sure I can agree with that. Articles stated, siblings were told to watch the child while parents socialized.

Accidents occur, but I put watching my kid around water above socialization.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not sure I can agree with that. Articles stated, siblings were told to watch the child while parents socialized.

100 percent either my wife or myself is designated watching our 3 year old when we are on the beach/sandbar/Fox’s. We also have her life vest on and she’s had swim lessons. It only takes a second to turn your back and something can happen.

I’m not judging or pretending to know what happened to this little girl, I’m just saying what our program is. 🤷🏼‍♂️

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Have you ever turned around to grab something or answer a question for 15 seconds while you were on watch? I sure have.

Shit happens. The fact that they found her underwater in 3-4 minutes, rather than hours later, points to someone paying attention.

I know….should have been 30 seconds. I’ve dropped a tool in 5 feet of water and it took me 20 minutes to find it. Apples to oranges, but things aren’t as “simple” as they seem on paper

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Have you ever turned around to grab something or answer a question for 15 seconds while you were on watch? I sure have.

Shit happens. The fact that they found her underwater in 3-4 minutes, rather than hours later, points to someone paying attention.

I know….should have been 30 seconds. I’ve dropped a tool in the 5 feet of water and it took me 20 minutes to find it. Apples to oranges, but things aren’t as “simple” as they seem on paper

I saved a 1yo from drowning at the Nautical Beach in 2006. Parents were bs’ing and not watching the kid. She was face down in the water for an unknown period of time. CPR by my sister saved the kid.

Once you live that, you don’t turn your back ever!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I know….should have been 30 seconds. I’ve dropped a tool in the 5 feet of water and it took me 20 minutes to find it. Apples to oranges, but things aren’t as “simple” as they seem on paper

Agreed..

Shit happens so fast sometime.. I feel terrible for the girl and her whole family.

I have saved several kids in the water over the years..

One in particular was a friend of mine they pulled up in their boat.. everyone got off the boat and went next door.. I was on my deck working on something and I heard a splash down by the boat.. and I knew it was a kid.. he fell between the boat and my dock and was stuck underwater.. I hauled ass grabbed him and pulled him into the tunnel and got him above water and then out the front and up on the dock…. Little shit didn’t even say thank you. Lol. He was about three.. the mom thought someone else had him, same with everyone else.. he was down in the cuddy and nobody noticed he was in there.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If ya want to talk about mind blowing stupidity.. we obviously have a lot of kids bday parties and usually they are pool parties..

In several occasions we have had people drop a kid off, not stick around… and completely fail to mention that their kid has no idea how to swim! 😳😳

I mean this has happened multiple times now over the years.. fucking crazy. We found out one kid didn’t know how to swim when we literally saved him from drowning when he ended up on the deep end at my moms house.

And yes like said above drowning isn’t splashing and screaming it’s eerily quiet and they are kinda just bouncing up and down..

DWC

Reaction score

The whole situation is sucks. My only point was that opinions on how to prevent or help out the situation is useful. Judging them for what happened in the middle of it, not so much. Again, just my opinion. We’ve seen stuff happen on the other side of the country that has a couple degrees of separation to a RDP inmate. Would suck if it’s a friends or family members kid or even worse. Regardless of what has been reported.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I saved a 1yo from drowning at the Nautical Beach in 2006. Parents were bs’ing and not watching the kid. She was face down in the water for an unknown period of time. CPR by my sister saved the kid.

Once you live that, you don’t turn your back ever!
You're a better man than me after that. I'm always "on duty"....but I'll admit if I had to be on duty 110%, I probably just wouldn't go.

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
... things aren’t as “simple” as they seem on paper
This is exactly it. No situation is ever text book. My wife and I are excellent swimmers, both former lifeguard types. Our kids were in life vests at the river until they could swim proficiently in chop...like rough water swimming lessons. Still scared the hell out of me.

Life is scarier than shit. Things happen, either by our doing, someone else's or just the circumstances. The parents feel horrible as it is, I'm sure. This place is big, someone has a connection to them. In general, I'm an asshole, but people speaking poorly of the family are being quite disrespectful in my opinion. I'm fairly sure there isn't an immortal among us here, we've all made mistakes or poor choices.

DWC

Reaction score
If ya want to talk about mind blowing stupidity.. we obviously have a lot of kids bday parties and usually they are pool parties..

In several occasions we have had people drop a kid off, not stick around… and completely fail to mention that their kid has no idea how to swim! 😳😳

I mean this has happened multiple times now over the years.. fucking crazy. We found out one kid didn’t know how to swim when we literally saved him from drowning when he ended up on the deep end at my moms house.

And yes like said above drowning isn’t splashing and screaming it’s eerily quiet and they are kinda just bouncing up and down..
My first two were natural swimmers from a crazy young age. My oldest was a sinker. To make it worse he had no fear and would walk straight into the water for any reason. We would let him walk in to try to scare him. Still remember him looking up from under water smiling. SOB. Couldn’t take your eyes off him for a second.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
We have a designated a "Lifeguard Chair" by the pool. If no adult is in the pool watching then an adult is in the chair or kids are out of the pool.
Best part of the chair is it has a designated umbrella shade and even better, since you can't leave without a replacement, if you ask anyone for anything they go get it. Soda, sandwich, snack, ect.
It is that important and adults, especially dads, want to be on duty.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My buddies and I were all good swimmers, or so I thought. One day, by now we’re in Jr Hi, we were horsing around in our pool and my Mom came out. Watched us for a couple minutes, then called me over to the side of the pool and asked, ‘Can Jay swim?’ I said, Ya, of course he can. My Mom simply said, Show me. I yelled to him to swim to the deep end and back. Our pool was about 40’ long. He hadn’t made it 15’ before he was obviously struggling. Fortunately, he made it over to the side without help. My Mom simply yelled out, ‘Jay, outa the pool’! Then she walked back into our house. Many of my buddies went on to be on our HS Swim and Water Polo teams. Not Jay. I don’t know if he ever learned to swim. Lesson learned for me, fortunately without an accident. Some things you just can’t assume. My Mom was a very good swimmer had taught numerous little neighbor kids to swim. Just by watching my teenaged buddy, she could see something didn’t look right.

rrrr

Reaction score
I was at a pool party talking to someone but the entire time watching my three year old kid from a distance of maybe fifteen or twenty feet. He saw his seven year old cousin jump in the deep end, and he followed right after him.

I had seen it coming and was running that way before he hit the water. I dove in and grabbed him before he was halfway to the bottom.

That's watching your kid. Sitting on the beach bullshitting with your friends and occasionally glancing over at your four year old child in the water of a lake isn't.

See the difference?

kurtis500

Reaction score
Its accidents like this that made me force my kids to wear a lifejacket every second they were in the lake. If water was waist deep they had a vest on. Swimmng in the lake....vest, jumping off cliffs/rocks...vest. Riding in the boat...vest. It looks dumb and they hated it when they were teenageres but you float.

Sounds like this whole event is an accident. Nobody intended for anyone to get hurt.

rrrr

Reaction score
Its accidents like this that made me force my kids to wear a lifejacket every second they were in the lake. If water was waist deep they had a vest on. Swimmng in the lake....vest, jumping off cliffs/rocks...vest. Riding in the boat...vest. It looks dumb and they hated it when they were teenageres but you float.
This is the only way to keep small children playing near a lakeshore safe. People don't realize that five seconds after they glance over at their kid, it could trip, head go underwater, swallow a big gulp of water, and almost immediately become immobilized and sink to the bottom.

There's no yelling for help. There's no thrashing in the water. They disappear under the surface, and can't be seen.

And they die as the parent frantically splashes around in the water trying to find their child.

This description is graphic and disturbing. It's supposed to be. It's also accurate.

CSmith

Reaction score
Maybe on busy Holidays.....City of Havasu should put a few lifeguards on duty, the swim area in channel and rotary beach. Trade two lifeguards for 1- cops pay,
Havasu fire staffs two additional polaris units with 2 guys on each side of the channel, as well as the fire boat with 4 guys and an additional med unit out of station 5 on weekends like this.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The whole situation is sucks. My only point was that opinions on how to prevent or help out the situation is useful. Judging them for what happened in the middle of it, not so much. Again, just my opinion. We’ve seen stuff happen on the other side of the country that has a couple degrees of separation to a RDP inmate. Would suck if it’s a friends or family members kid or even worse. Regardless of what has been reported.

This.

Why people pass judgment without knowing any details and try to assert themselves as the pinnacles of perfection in these situations is beyond me. These things can happen to anyone regardless of how much you are paying attention (or not).

It’s a horrible situation. This is not the time for lectures as it could be someone we all know. Even if it isn’t, it’s never a good look.

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score

When we had a pool home in La Palma I always told guest it was their responsibility to watch their kids when in the pool...I was always on alert as most were drinking and socializing...made me pissed and nervous as hell at the same time but no one is drowning in my pool, at least when I was there.
Hope she pulls through this with no longterm effects.

Last edited:

FCT

Reaction score
My first two were natural swimmers from a crazy young age. My oldest was a sinker. To make it worse he had no fear and would walk straight into the water for any reason. We would let him walk in to try to scare him. Still remember him looking up from under water smiling. SOB. Couldn’t take your eyes off him for a second.
Yeah my oldest is a fish and my young boy is a sinker like a rock 🤣. I work with him a lot and he just isn’t getting it yet. Like Dave said they are silent and bouncing up and down when struggling and drowning. That’s what the little girl last weekend was doing when I snatched her out of the deep end. Scary stuff.

FCT

Reaction score
When we had a pool home in La Palma I always told quest it was their responsibility to watch their kids when in the pool...I was always on alert as most were drinking and socializing...made me pissed and nervous as hell at the same time but no one is drowning in my pool, at least when I was there.
Hope she pulls through this with no longterm effects.
Yeah it pisses me off too and especially when I was told about 20 times the kids are fine you worry to much. That’s okay I’ll continue to worry. She was fine still trying to get her head above water but not succeeding. Got her in time thank god 🙏

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Sounds like this whole event is an accident. Nobody intended for anyone to get hurt.
See, that’s kinda fucked up too. I didn’t wear a life jacket when I was a kid at the river… woulda made it pretty tough to sneak up behind that one girl…(shoulda put a ring on her finger…but it’s better that I didn’t…thAts for a different thread.)

The best we can do if swim lessons to make our kids strong swimmers, so water is a natural environment to them….once we’re comfortable that they’re comfortable…you gotta let ‘em do their own thing, to a certain extent:

It’s not easy establishing that line between helicopter parent and ignoring the kids…but it’s something that needs to be done, and occasionally we have results that are unfavorable….but nobody’s fault.

If just sucks,

Last edited:

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I almost drowned when I was under 5. Remember it to this day. Riding big wheels around the pool at someone's house and my back wheel caught the edge and in I went. I remember kind of having an out of body experience where I watched myself sinking down to the bottom. Then all I remember is being dried off and wearing train conductor overalls. My aunt pulled me and saved my life. This was early 70s. No pool fences. Shit happens fast.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
I almost drowned when I was under 5. Remember it to this day. Riding big wheels around the pool at someone's house and my back wheel caught the edge and in I went. I remember kind of having an out of body experience where I watched myself sinking down to the bottom. Then all I remember is being dried off and wearing train conductor overalls. My aunt pulled me and saved my life. This was early 70s. No pool fences. Shit happens fast.
Been there myself! About same age. I was at my dads hotel and playing in the pool and so quickly I started sinking, next thing I know I’m being pulled out by my cousin. Never forgot the experience!😎

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

We were at a swim party yesterday and when all the parents decided to relocate to the front yard, we got all the kids out of the pool and my buddy put locks on the gates so none of the kids could go into the pool area while we weren't there.

I had a moment with my son Connor when he was 3 years old. He walked into our friends spa and fell into the center. I was watching him and ran over and pulled him out. If I didn't have eyes on him at that time, it could have been bad. None of the kids in the spa said anything and didn't even realize he was under.

All our kids can swim now except the youngest and he has puddle jumpers or a vest on whenever we are near water.

FCT

Reaction score
We were at a swim party yesterday and when all the parents decided to relocate to the front yard, we got all the kids out of the pool and my buddy put locks on the gates so none of the kids could go into the pool area while we weren't there.

I had a moment with my son Connor when he was 3 years old. He walked into our friends spa and fell into the center. I was watching him and ran over and pulled him out. If I didn't have eyes on him at that time, it could have been bad. None of the kids in the spa said anything and didn't even realize he was under.

All our kids can swim now except the youngest and he has puddle jumpers or a vest on whenever we are near water.
My son is Connor also 🤙