WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If the company cannot provide a replacement in the "10-12" weeks, I'm going to have to re-engineer something. While I was under the truck, I think I can get away with a reverse rotation PTO and a direct driveshaft. Also thinking about adding a "whirlaway" to the drive, so if the machine eats something it stops the equipment, instead of snapping the driveshaft.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of the matching on the gear teeth...like putting lifters back on the same cam lobe. The good thing, this particular truck is so noisy, the gear drive isn't heard:oops:

What's "C-Glass"? The gears themselves were hardened...pretty gnarly. I had fun trying to put match marks on them. Is C-Glass like a shot peen material?
Glass bead is graded by size alphabetical, A being the finest. A/B grade is the most common but if you can get C grade it will actually do a light peening of the surface and stress relieve it.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I haven’t done it personally but I have heard of guys running some jewelers rouge through v drives.. it wears in the gears real
Quick..

Then change the bearings and obviously clean the hell out of it and it’s good to go and much quieter
Yep, lapping the gears is helpful. On one micro gear box that we did our final lap was done with toothpaste.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Saga of the Monkey Mover.
20220320_161457.jpg

This little F'r has been a thorn in my side! Obviously, starting with it's high flow cooling system into the exhaust port, but even after. After things were welded up, it went back to the machine shop. He does new guides and seats. The exhaust seat in the repaired area needed to be taller than it was originally. The guy who welds, doesn't do the machining, and vice versa. So, when it was cut to clean surface, it was a metric hair too deep. Has something to do with combustion pressure and not wanting fire creeping behind the seat. So, got one from EPW in Denver, tad taller blank to install and cut.

And then...
Learned something "new"...not really, but felt like an idiot. Had all the mating surfaces cut/decked...didn't think about the cam journals. When I started to assemble the head, cam felt a hair more "snug". It probably would have been fine, but at this point, not taking the chance. Had the machinist basically hone it. Felt much better, and proceeded.
20220320_235554.jpg

Now, let me tell you, the gasket sets they sell for these things SUCK BALLS! They tell you you'll have leftovers. Ok, must fit a few different variations. No, they don't really fit any variations. Some holes line up, some don't...and there are some gaskets that don't come in the package. Joy.
I have a gasket punch set.
I have RightStuff.
Adapt and overcome!

But wait, there's more...
20220321_222351.jpg

This is the tranny mount. It sits like this, and hangs the tranny from the crossmember. It's two steel plates with a rubber block vulcanized between. It hangs. It does not rest on top. It is stupid.
20220321_222355.jpg

Well shit. It had been broken for a long time. When I pulled the motor and trans, it almost fell on me when I unbolted the exhaust. That 6ft pipe had become the rear mount by default. At the time, I had started looking for a mount from the 3 suppliers state side...
As the motor was going together, I looked elsewhere...
I opted not to try and get one from some place that ended in ...stan.
Tape measure and some mods...and an early Chevy tranny mount. Same thickness, probably stronger, and only required adding one new hole.
20220321_231702.jpg

Motor and trans mated together probably weigh 150ish pounds. Not too bad, but awkward as hell. The motor leans, and goes in from the bottom. I had the body up on jackstands as high as my 3 ton jack would lift. Motor and trans were then rolled under on a furniture dolly. I planned on using my tranny jack to do the lifting, but it was too tall with the motor to slide under. I needed to lift the motor, and exchange the dolly for the jack.
20220322_130947.jpg

Sometimes there may be circus music in my head...
After figuring no way to get my hoist attached, I went ghetto. Two ratchet straps as a hoist to the frame. Got the jack under it and got it mounted up.
20220326_225118.jpg

547cc's of raw power...or squealing hamsters...whichever. And yes, I did polish the lettering...only so much you can do to pimp out a Daihatsu.

Coming up later...cutting edge technology.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
She runs! Weather sucked out here today, so no driving...and supposed to rain tomorrow.
Now here's one for you old timey guys:
20220328_231040.jpg

This is a Fox Valley ET686. Matco sold them under their flag in the early to mid 80's. About the most modern thing it can handle is an HEI distributor. The left hand display is a tach, and the right is the test screen. It's a cross between an old Sun machine and a Dwell meter from hell. It can also do cylinder % tests on4, 6 and 8 cylinders no problem...not so much on the little twin here. The little blinking red lights show the cylinder in sequence...if the light doesn't blink consistently, that's your bad contact in the cap, plug or wire. Also noticeable on "burn time" cylinder setting, and you can cycle through one by one.
It's no HPTuners, but for old crap it's freakin handy!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well now, let's just say there has been some absolute fuckery afoot! Ran the little 2 cylinder pain in the ass, got everything to it's happy medium, and started doing the stuff you do, like drive time and heat cycle. It's an aluminum head, a weird one at that, so I was going to re-torque the bolts.

And that's when that 2 cylinder turned into a vicious ankle biter! It started "smoking"...again! At that very moment, there was the brief idea to nuke my shop. Scorched earth, done...

After the depression boiled down to anger, started "evaluating" the situation. The head itself had been repaired, pressure checked, surfaced and then rechecked. In theory, the head itself is fine. There was obviously coolant entering the the combustion chamber. That was a given. The intake manifold also has coolant passages, one under each intake port. Those were not leaking externally, but could possibly only leak into the intake. I did surface the mating surfaces, but hey, shit happens.

I pressurized the cooling system to 15psi overnight. The next morning, I played doctor. The pressure had dropped to about 13.5...not as much as I'd hoped for. I was hoping for a smoking gun. I pulled the plugs, and the carb, and shoved the borescope in. No droplets anywhere, but maybe a fog in the #2 cylinder. Maybe...
(And yes, by now I'd checked the oil 5 times...perfect, clean, clear.)

By this time, I've decided I knew what it was...head gasket weeping. I checked the torque, and then moved it up to the manual's higher limit. I usually set it mid. I ran it, and it started to smoke when it was hot (195-200). While this was going, I started to look at the mating surface, where the head sandwiches the gasket to the block.

Little tiny bubbles, like the size of fizz in soda. There was never enough to drip. So either a bubble, or small enough droplet to evaporate. Then I was able to really see it. Those bubbles were not coming from the head, nor the block, they were weeping out of the gasket itself. The coolant was seeping from the passage, through the gasket, and both externally where I could see it, and past the fire ring into the chamber.

A few posts back I made mention of the gasket set. Now, I'm new to Daihatsu 2 cylinders, but a head gasket? This ain't my first rodeo. So, I decided to swap the gasket. The original supplier cut the label off, so you can't see who the get it from. Neither Victor or FelPro had a listing. So, took a shot in the dark. Called another supplier. Talked to a gal with a nice voice, schmoozed her into finding out continent their's came from.

So, got a head gasket sent out. Pulled the head, and went round 2. Ran it for an hour or so a couple times now...be road testing in a day or two...
So far, so good!

Found a good keychain to go on the spare keys though...thought it fitting
20220504_001601.jpg

A found a really nice one that wasn't rusty or pitted!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, it's coming down to the wire...stupid checks and rechecks. Tightening bolts and such. Well, remember when I said I'm not a wood worker? Well, there was some redoing of stuff on the table. We won't get into it, but I need to figure out how to weld wood! So, some clamping and screwing was done (literally and figuratively). So some re-clearing and re-polishing was in order...
20220512_233652.jpg

Pay no attention to that '33 sitting there...I'll get rolling on that when the Mover's moved out ;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here's another one of those, odd repairs...
Some of the kids out here aren't too sharp. I guess, in general, teenage boys aren't. I know, I was one. Only two things were in the brain at the time...
What's that old T-shirt? If it has what or tires?
Well, teenage boy was out with friends, girl in the passenger seat, dirt road daredevils. Well, not wanting to be shown up in front of his gal, he tried to be a redneck Robby Gordon.

His Ranger pickup disagreed with his decision. Luckily he landed on the tail, and didn't stuff the nose. More luck than skill.

The stock shock geometry was not intended for such. It pulled the upper bracket off, and shredded the frame in doing so. Luckily, only the vertical, not the top or bottom of the frame channel.
20220422_095757.jpg

I used a jack to lift the rear of the frame, and made a template of the other side to match to. Probably not the best, but at least they are probably bent the same now. I grooved the cracks, and drilled the ends. Welded those up...
20220422_112412.jpg
20220422_112412.jpg

Then made a gusset/fish plate. This got welded on around the perimeter, after rosette welding the two unused holes from the back. New shocks and three grade 8 bolts, and he was on the road!

"Farm fix", but a fix...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well, it's coming down to the wire...stupid checks and rechecks. Tightening bolts and such. Well, remember when I said I'm not a wood worker? Well, there was some redoing of stuff on the table. We won't get into it, but I need to figure out how to weld wood! So, some clamping and screwing was done (literally and figuratively). So some re-clearing and re-polishing was in order... View attachment 1115470
Pay no attention to that '33 sitting there...I'll get rolling on that when the Mover's moved out ;)

Ya ever find a paint shop that is gonna make it look nice? 😍. It’s pretty much a ground up rebuild at this point.. lol

Anyway to clean up the dash and make it presentable? This is gonna be the new real estate vehicle in the fall.. lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ya ever find a paint shop that is gonna make it look nice? 😍. It’s pretty much a ground up rebuild at this point.. lol

Anyway to clean up the dash and make it presentable? This is gonna be the new real estate vehicle in the fall.. lol
No painters here now...the two shops I have dealt with are only doing insurance work now. I was told that with the used car market so high, the insurance companies are pushing up what would have been totaled...lots of quarter panels and core supports. I don't know if that's just adjusters up here or not.

As for the dash, I may be able to remove the checked overcoat, and shoot it with a different tan and adhesion promoter. I'll look at removal tonight, and go from there.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Hey Monkey...whenever I build something from scratch (tanked and scrubbed clean) I always add the tabs from GM..
GMcoolingsystemtab.jpg

They are like ceramic alumnaseal, seals all the weeps from core plugs, gasket leaks (like your mover) etc when the initial break in is done.

🤘

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Hey Monkey...whenever I build something from scratch (tanked and scrubbed clean) I always add the tabs from GM.. View attachment 1115678

They are like ceramic alumnaseal, seals all the weeps from core plugs, gasket leaks (like your mover) etc when the initial break in is done.

🤘
For a while that "Kit" was a "special service tool/bullion" on Cadillac HT 4100s

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Hey Monkey...whenever I build something from scratch (tanked and scrubbed clean) I always add the tabs from GM.. View attachment 1115678

🤘
I keep a couple of those packs in my tool box. My buddy was a GM tech, and he said every head gasket or even crate motor, they'd pop some in.
I was afraid to on this thing in particular though. The radiator isn't much bigger than a heater core! Dry fill, the whole cooling system is under a gallon :oops:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I keep a couple of those packs in my tool box. My buddy was a GM tech, and he said every head gasket or even crate motor, they'd pop some in.
I was afraid to on this thing in particular though. The radiator isn't much bigger than a heater core! Dry fill, the whole cooling system is under a gallon :oops:
IMO It can never hurt anything, I'd have only used half though because of the limited size of the cooling system.

Honestly, it's saved me from lots of heart ache in the past, so it's something I just put into my procedure.

4Waters

Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Boss Man asked, and so it goes...
20220515_213610.jpg

The dash had been repainted somewhere along the line, probably when the radio was installed, as the face matches. Decided the Sirius radio jack needs to go too.
20220515_224029.jpg

So, open the can of worms. Stereo install was less than stellar. Lots of electrical taped "splices". That will need to be addressed.
20220515_223950.jpg

I'll keep this as a template. It's a piece of acrylic that has been drilled and painted...it covered the defrost and heat controls.
20220515_224202.jpg

It appears there was caulking holding it in place. I'll probably set it up with an aluminum plate, also in a single DIN setup.
Work to be done before painting. Going to go with a desert sand color. I figure it will go with the theme later, but still cooler in direct sun.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Oh, that gear driven machine thing? At week 8, the guy calls up and says, "Hey, my guys blew up the box" 😢 I tell him to bring it by, and I'll figure something out. The supplier has now said 6-8 months!

Truck gets there, I drop under it to check the play in the drive...and it feels good? WTF?! So, I fire up the rig, hit the switches, and my stuff's working fine. I was surprised as hell too! So, follow the power flow and see what's not spinning.
20220428_121459.jpg

Lower middle-left is a shaft supported by pillow blocks. Just out of frame is a big, 4 sheave pulley that has belts running through the floor, to a drive shift on the end of that gear box. Kind of the backbone of this thing, spins the other pumps and stuff.
20220504_111742.jpg

This is another angle, and the other end of that backbone shaft deal. There is a pretty, white box in the center...it's pretty because this is the after pic. That is a 90 degree gear box. It's driven by the big belts, then on the front side spins two hydraulic pumps, and the backside pulley spins a vacuum.

It was dead, drive gear came off. I could have fixed it pretty easy, but the supplier had one on the shelf. What was a real joy was aligning 7 belts along 2 axis and 3 planes...with only one adjustment tensioner. Stupid, but it works.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Oh, that gear driven machine thing? At week 8, the guy calls up and says, "Hey, my guys blew up the box" 😢 I tell him to bring it by, and I'll figure something out. The supplier has now said 6-8 months!

Truck gets there, I drop under it to check the play in the drive...and it feels good? WTF?! So, I fire up the rig, hit the switches, and my stuff's working fine. I was surprised as hell too! So, follow the power flow and see what's not spinning.
View attachment 1116564
Lower middle-left is a shaft supported by pillow blocks. Just out of frame is a big, 4 sheave pulley that has belts running through the floor, to a drive shift on the end of that gear box. Kind of the backbone of this thing, spins the other pumps and stuff. View attachment 1116565
This is another angle, and the other end of that backbone shaft deal. There is a pretty, white box in the center...it's pretty because this is the after pic. That is a 90 degree gear box. It's driven by the big belts, then on the front side spins two hydraulic pumps, and the backside pulley spins a vacuum.

It was dead, drive gear came off. I could have fixed it pretty easy, but the supplier had one on the shelf. What was a real joy was aligning 7 belts along 2 axis and 3 planes...with only one adjustment tensioner. Stupid, but it works.
what a cluster fornication of belts and chains. i would be willing to bet the engineering whiz kid who designed that with one tensioner, never had to and will never have to align one. shit like that drives me nuts.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20220516_163820.jpg

So, here's the new color. Kind of like a Jeep Sahara type thing. Also blew apart the cluster. Cleaned the gauge faces, and buffed majority of the scratches out of the lens assembly. Old plastic that had been dusty and wiped off a bunch, so foggy in the light.
20220516_163804.jpg

More assembly and detail needed, but getting there.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We don’t need to install that radio again.. I don’t care if it’s blank!

Dash is looking amazing!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We don’t need to install that radio again.. I don’t care if it’s blank!

Dash is looking amazing!
I won't put the head back in, but started on the adapter/face plate last night. I'll get a pic of it later...it will look pretty decent, much better than it's current state.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, my first attempt at anything like this. I took a piece of 3/16ths aluminum plate, and traced the old face plate. It looked kind of boring, soooo...
20220517_001351.jpg

I penciled out a couple things. The Monkey Mover logo was too busy, RDSUX may limit the market later...so went with the Daihatsu logo.
20220517_143146.jpg

Not being a machinist, or an artist, I took the Dremel and got to carving...
20220517_225638.jpg

I polished the plate after test fitting and filing. Nothing real fancy, but never seen another one either. Would look decent flat black too, to match the gauges. But here's how it looks for now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ever do something, and then you go, "...well, now I should do..."?
Put the dash back in, but the steering wheel had a wrap on it from the 90's...holes, pleather and plastic lace.
Pulled the wrap, and wheel was still fairly decent. 40+ and plastic, needing some cleaning...
20220525_230345.jpg

Puller holes weren't tapped from the factory! No problem, we have the technology.
20220525_230134.jpg

Started work on the old plastics. From heat and sun, kind of "bleached"...here's one side done. Kind of sketchy, small buffer and by hand, but knowing you aren't going to find another very easy.
20220525_231841.jpg

Took the instrument cluster out, and outlined the gage openings with gloss black. The "rings" were still brown from being masked. Put everything back together...
20220526_000426.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Update on fuckery: been trying to be a half ass homesteader. Lots of time wrapped up in that, and will have two threads covering "chicken coop fabrication" and "solar stupidity" coming soon.

Back to nuts and bolts. This was last night. Guy down the road has a couple large accounts. 2 of them makeup almost 60% of his gross, and his numbers are really good for up here. One of them is the company I did the gear box for. He texted me a bit before dinner time. Different truck, same type of equipment. Electrical driven water pump not working. I head over, multi-meter in hand.

The guys running the truck had tried to "fix" some wiring. Followed the circuit, and got that figured out. Flipped it on, popped the breaker...well, now I know the motor was bad. Have the shop boss text contractor boss. Go home and eat.

While eating, shop boss texted. Contractor needs truck to fulfill contracts and completion dates. I get it, done the same type of stuff. Shop boss doesn't turn wrenches anymore. Two newer guys full time, pretty good with normal stuff...neither wanted the job...even though I'd already found a suitable replacement motor locally. Shop bosses son didn't want to work late...he's 30, and half owner.
I text back : Be there in a few...

At 7:30, I'm heading to shop from Tractor Supply Co. They stock a 1.5hp with the same chassis, dual voltage and right rpm.
20220712_203931.jpg

There is no tension adjustment, and the belt guard is welded to the housing. Turns out, you can pivot the motor on the rt rear bolt, get the belts on and pull the left side to get the bolts aligned. Kind of sucks, the cabinet is small person shoulder width, the motor is about 50lbs and 2 of the bolts are braille only. Wired it up, and ran it. Shoots water almost 100ft through a 3/8" line!

Truck was picked up from the shop before 7 this morning. Out on a jobsite all day. That truck carries a 3 man crew, and they get paid by the sqft. No truck, No money.
I don't think the younger guys at the shop get that. Maybe they do, but don't care. Maybe they feel they don't need to make the extra money? Shop Boss said contractor was good with paying extra to get it done...minimum of doubletime.

Here's the deal, of the guys around that shop, I have the least amount of financial burden. Work ethic kind of sucks these days. I really do believe that sometimes you still need to "work like you're hungry". It keeps you sharp, and let's you know you still can if need be.

In this case, it also helps out the guys running the truck pay their bills.

4Waters

Reaction score
Update on fuckery: been trying to be a half ass homesteader. Lots of time wrapped up in that, and will have two threads covering "chicken coop fabrication" and "solar stupidity" coming soon.

Back to nuts and bolts. This was last night. Guy down the road has a couple large accounts. 2 of them makeup almost 60% of his gross, and his numbers are really good for up here. One of them is the company I did the gear box for. He texted me a bit before dinner time. Different truck, same type of equipment. Electrical driven water pump not working. I head over, multi-meter in hand.

The guys running the truck had tried to "fix" some wiring. Followed the circuit, and got that figured out. Flipped it on, popped the breaker...well, now I know the motor was bad. Have the shop boss text contractor boss. Go home and eat.

While eating, shop boss texted. Contractor needs truck to fulfill contracts and completion dates. I get it, done the same type of stuff. Shop boss doesn't turn wrenches anymore. Two newer guys full time, pretty good with normal stuff...neither wanted the job...even though I'd already found a suitable replacement motor locally. Shop bosses son didn't want to work late...he's 30, and half owner.

At 7:30, I'm heading to shop from Tractor Supply Co. They stock a 1.5hp with the same chassis, dual voltage and right rpm. View attachment 1136087
There is no tension adjustment, and the belt guard is welded to the housing. Turns out, you can pivot the motor on the rt rear bolt, get the belts on and pull the left side to get the bolts aligned. Kind of sucks, the cabinet is small person shoulder width, the motor is about 50lbs and 2 of the bolts are braille only. Wired it up, and ran it. Shoots water almost 100ft through a 3/8" line!

Truck was picked up from the shop before 7 this morning. Out on a jobsite all day. That truck carries a 3 man crew, and they get paid by the sqft. No truck, No money.
I don't think the younger guys at the shop get that. Maybe they do, but don't care. Maybe they feel they don't need to make the extra money? Shop Boss said contractor was good with paying extra to get it done...minimum of doubletime.

Here's the deal, of the guys around that shop, I have the least amount of financial burden. Work ethic kind of sucks these days. I really do believe that sometimes you still need to "work like you're hungry". It keeps you sharp, and let's you know you still can if need be.

Info on said motor and pump, you know, for washing down the decks in the channel 🤣

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Well now, let's just say there has been some absolute fuckery afoot! Ran the little 2 cylinder pain in the ass, got everything to it's happy medium, and started doing the stuff you do, like drive time and heat cycle. It's an aluminum head, a weird one at that, so I was going to re-torque the bolts.

And that's when that 2 cylinder turned into a vicious ankle biter! It started "smoking"...again! At that very moment, there was the brief idea to nuke my shop. Scorched earth, done...

After the depression boiled down to anger, started "evaluating" the situation. The head itself had been repaired, pressure checked, surfaced and then rechecked. In theory, the head itself is fine. There was obviously coolant entering the the combustion chamber. That was a given. The intake manifold also has coolant passages, one under each intake port. Those were not leaking externally, but could possibly only leak into the intake. I did surface the mating surfaces, but hey, shit happens.

I pressurized the cooling system to 15psi overnight. The next morning, I played doctor. The pressure had dropped to about 13.5...not as much as I'd hoped for. I was hoping for a smoking gun. I pulled the plugs, and the carb, and shoved the borescope in. No droplets anywhere, but maybe a fog in the #2 cylinder. Maybe...
(And yes, by now I'd checked the oil 5 times...perfect, clean, clear.)

By this time, I've decided I knew what it was...head gasket weeping. I checked the torque, and then moved it up to the manual's higher limit. I usually set it mid. I ran it, and it started to smoke when it was hot (195-200). While this was going, I started to look at the mating surface, where the head sandwiches the gasket to the block.

Little tiny bubbles, like the size of fizz in soda. There was never enough to drip. So either a bubble, or small enough droplet to evaporate. Then I was able to really see it. Those bubbles were not coming from the head, nor the block, they were weeping out of the gasket itself. The coolant was seeping from the passage, through the gasket, and both externally where I could see it, and past the fire ring into the chamber.

A few posts back I made mention of the gasket set. Now, I'm new to Daihatsu 2 cylinders, but a head gasket? This ain't my first rodeo. So, I decided to swap the gasket. The original supplier cut the label off, so you can't see who the get it from. Neither Victor or FelPro had a listing. So, took a shot in the dark. Called another supplier. Talked to a gal with a nice voice, schmoozed her into finding out continent their's came from.

So, got a head gasket sent out. Pulled the head, and went round 2. Ran it for an hour or so a couple times now...be road testing in a day or two...
So far, so good!

Found a good keychain to go on the spare keys though...thought it fitting
View attachment 1112803
A found a really nice one that wasn't rusty or pitted!
love your write-ups.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

At 7:30, I'm heading to shop from Tractor Supply Co. They stock a 1.5hp with the same chassis, dual voltage and right rpm. View attachment 1136087

I just dont get where this unwillingness to work comes from in my generation.

Ive always wanted more, no matter how much I have/had. Ive always wanted more. I actually have to leave Texas to make myself take breaks from time to time. Its the only way I can stop myself.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I just dont get where this unwillingness to work comes from in my generation.

Ive always wanted more, no matter how much I have/had. Ive always wanted more. I actually have to leave Texas to make myself take breaks from time to time. Its the only way I can stop myself.
I wanted more and more, and at some point I realized I was wanting more, but never knew what I wanted. Confusing as hell, but it makes sense in my head. I used to push 70hr weeks. I was just talking with my daughter yesterday about this same thing. She was complaining about working 9 days straight. I explained to her that 10 years ago, in our last house, I remember working 45 days straight. No rain, big bills, keep going.

I'm no Saint now, but my God I was an asshole then!

There needs to be a balance. I'm only 45 now, but some days really hurt. I'm happy I have the time I do now. Some jobs, like you pulling that trans, the next day I'd be near crippled. Some days I'll still hit it like I'm 25. Sometimes just to piss off the youngsters. It seems to be a different world though. The younger guys seem annoyed that I do what I do. It's like they're jealous of the extra pay, but had the same offers. The drive is just not the same.

One of the kids at the above shop was shocked. Last river trip I'd told the owner don't call, I'm out. Kid says "you're taking a boat out?"
"No, it stays out there"
"You pay to store it out there?"
"Kind of, I own a little place out there. It stays in a garage out there"
:oops:

lenmann

Reaction score
I think you nailed it with this: "work like you're hungry"

If you've never been hungry or on the sharp edge of the sword before you just don't get it. Not sure many youngins have been there.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think you nailed it with this: "work like you're hungry"

If you've never been hungry or on the sharp edge of the sword before you just don't get it. Not sure many youngins have been there.
From what I've seen, it's not only the kids. There are lots of guys my age that have been lucky enough to avoid those scenarios. There are some that will boldly, even arrogantly, say things about others' lack of planning or foresight. Those same people have probably never been in situations requiring long term medical treatments, or unexpected costs such as funerals. I'm happy that not everyone has.
Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yesterday was one of those calls where you kind of have to laugh. Cummins motor, leaking profusely. I tell owner he has three valve covers leaking. He responds, laughing, "but it's a 6 cylinder." My response, not laughing, "have you lifted the hood?"
20220714_121828.jpg

So, did a six pack of valve covers...also cleaned them up since they were off.

Today, newer Cummins. Eyes burning, white smoke...dead hole. I run the old scanner on it. 3 low contributing holes, and one that just isn't doing a thing. Tell customer that the injectors are pretty much done, and one is dead.
He "can't afford" to buy new ones. This truck gets flogged, tows stupid heavy. I explain that the bad one can go full blown torch on a piston, and the others can at any time...
He has me replace ONE...
20220715_135236.jpg

Ok, sure, why not? Get it together, and it has a different miss...go figure. I test run it, having never driven it before.
It flat hauls ass.
Not in the sports car way, more like a small block with 14:1 and too much timing. Like a hand grenade. You just know something isn't right, but it's fun...and it rolls coal🧐
Get back, brake clean the hell out of the removed/dead injector. It has a date code of 06/07/20...the truck is an 06...this guy has owned it since early 20.

So, it would appear, owner had someone else install big injectors, and conveniently "forgot". He probably payed big money for those and that job, and is now trying to cheap out:mad:

Well, he has a 5 and 3/4 cylinder Cummins for the time being. Needs new injectors...about 1500$ more of them...and then more labor.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The customer is always right, even when they are wrong.

I just warn them that it's not the correct way to do it, and there will be no warranty. Make them sign the relevant documentation.

Not my problem anymore. If you refuse to take my expert advice, being that you used my expert ability to solve your problem, it's on you at that point.

Love your adventures bud, keeps the never ending stream of broken vehicles I live in boring comparatively! 😁

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
From what I've seen, it's not only the kids. There are lots of guys my age that have been lucky enough to avoid those scenarios. There are some that will boldly, even arrogantly, say things about others' lack of planning or foresight. Those same people have probably never been in situations requiring long term medical treatments, or unexpected costs such as funerals. I'm happy that not everyone has.
Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Consider this.
We are all kind of athletes in our own ways.
There are some who are not athletically adept. Nerds? Gamers?
In any case, even among athletes there are elites like Shaq and Brady who rise and stay on top for a LOOOONG time, defying the dominance of vigorous youth by their will to stay on top.
There are others who burn out young or early or get injured and give up, or those who face mediocre results and still keep it up, even when their personal history might be telling them to quit.
Athletes, all of us, perform much more highly while young, and suffer/thrive from our own choices and attitudes.
No matter what others do, its our own journey to bear, neglect, enjoy, or suffer.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, odd project came my way. Neighbor asked it I want what's left of his kid's dirt bike. It's a KX65, 2006 or so. I asked him what the story was. His son wasn't big on shifting...I don't know the rpms, but pretty high :oops: Bottom end is gone. He and his brother in law were going to fix it. They pulled the motor, and started to tear it down. Well, they got to the stator, and we're stuck...need special tools. That was over a year ago, he wants it out.

Well, my kids are bigger, but this can be a learning thing. For me as well, as I was never much into 2 stroke bikes. Done top ends and carbs, but never any deeper.
20220725_233359.jpg

I have an abundance of pullers, so popped the stator off, and started splitting the case. Cute little paperweight. Rod is junk, and some heat marks pretty much anywhere touching bearings...and the piston was broken. Ordered a new crank assembly, figuring I'll probably never get this thing true.

Watched videos online on how they go back together. I pressed new bearings in the cases along with new seals. Now, the crank presses into those bearings. Some say you can jig them, and press the crank in. You risk cracking the case, as well as tweaking the crank. A few companies make crank "pullers", and they draw the crank through the bearing. They run about a 100$. I spent money on the crank kit, so cheaping out on tools. I figure in 35 years of wrenching, this hasn't been needed...Ace hardware trip.
20220731_160254.jpg

So, 1" pipe cap with hole drilled, 1" pipe nipple, another 1" cap with a hole drilled and a 5"x3/8th" bolt...my puller assembly. On the right is my pulling fixture. It is a piece of 2 1/2" muffler pipe, with a plate welded at top, and angle iron "feet" to spread over the face.
20220731_160152.jpg

Here is the first cap installed, with the crank nut holding it on. Luckily, this one they had misplaced is RH thread. Metric and I don't get along, so I was surprised when I found this in the Duramax pile.
20220731_160143.jpg

Here's my "puller" on the snout.
20220731_160045.jpg

Here's the whole assembly. I used a coupling nut as the forcing nut, so more than a few threads could be used to spread the force. If I was more skilled, I could machine something much prettier. This worked well though.

I did this side, I'll have my son do the other. I wanted to do this one first, so if it screwed anything up, it would be on me. Quite functional though, I'm pretty pleased!

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
My wife's dad was a mechanic. (he was a corolla prepper for the first 6 or 7 Toyota Grand Prix races in LB)
She likes to tell the story about how when she was 8 or so, she was surprised by finding a engine shaft in the freezer, and seeing a big bearing in the oven. She started learning about mechanics tricks at an early age.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On this episode of broken crap: My Mechanic Says...
My response is always, "Why am I fixing it then?" Usually, said mechanic is too busy, but it usually means it cost too much or they couldn't figure it out.

24v Cummins, stopped running. Mechanic said it needed a lift pump. Well, yes, that is true...but...what else died because of it? Tested lift pump, worked but weak. When they get weak, they don't supply enough to the injection pump. Bad for running, fuel is important. The fuel is also what lubricates and cools the injector pump.
20220816_083859.jpg

A VP44 fuel pump is half-ass electronic. The lines come out the back, but a big plug on top for electronic magic. Well, if you hotwire the pump, knowing which 2 pins to use, you can make the motor run. Not well, but the injection pump will cycle fuel and pressurize. It eliminates any electrical issues and isolates the fuel pump as the problem. Well, it was the problem...well, the other problem. Replaced the lift pump to make sure it was getting adequate volume again. In a bread truck, the pump kind of sucks to do. In a truck, you're looking down on it, and more room in front to pull the gear off the pump. Got it done, they were happy.

Next one: SBC '85 half ton 4x4. New motor, guy says it runs but dies when hot. Fire it up, idles fat, but we'll start looking it over. Oil gage shows 0 when warm :oops: Crap, screw in a mechanical gauge, it's fine. New sending unit put in. Mess with carb, Quadrajet, mixture screws aren't changing much, if at all. Checking for vacuum leaks, and it develops a slight knock...well, this is new. Call owner, he says "Oh yeah, my mechanic says it's the heater lines knocking as it gets to temp."
WTF? Well, now I know why you're here...
20220825_111705.jpg

Tools of the day. Bore scope came out to validate my theory. With a stethoscope, something was angry in the #2 cylinder. Didn't take a pic on the phone, but showed the customer what appeared to be brass or bronze on the piston top...new .030 flat tops. I think a guide came apart. New Chinese aluminum heads...China never built Chevy motors, and shouldn't!
20220825_113407.jpg

Buttoned it back up. Done for now. Engine builder says he'll make it right, and I'll dial it in after the fact...maybe.

Then there was this this week, "My mechanic tried to patch it"
Shoot him...
20220819_113610.jpg

Different bread truck guy, same business...let's say the deliver stuff...in white vans...but they all know each other. Word gets out I guess at the distribution centers.
First off, that's an Ace Hardware fitting. They have their place, but this isn't it. These pumps are something like 2000psi at idle. The line had split from rubbing. It rubbed because a previous "mechanic" was too lazy to put the keepers back on.
20220826_115355.jpg

Six new lines, with keepers. These came from eBay I was told...they sucked. All the bends were there, but not always in the right spot. Some tweaking was required. In the end, it's done and owner is happy.

This fits under the mercenary part. There are guys that usually do the general stuff, but apparently I get the stuff others don't want. It's all the same to me, just nuts and bolts. I'd rather do this than brakes and oil changes, that gets boring to me.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
On this episode of broken crap: My Mechanic Says...
My response is always, "Why am I fixing it then?" Usually, said mechanic is too busy, but it usually means it cost too much or they couldn't figure it out.

24v Cummins, stopped running. Mechanic said it needed a lift pump. Well, yes, that is true...but...what else died because of it? Tested lift pump, worked but weak. When they get weak, they don't supply enough to the injection pump. Bad for running, fuel is important. The fuel is also what lubricates and cools the injector pump.
View attachment 1149746
A VP44 fuel pump is half-ass electronic. The lines come out the back, but a big plug on top for electronic magic. Well, if you hotwire the pump, knowing which 2 pins to use, you can make the motor run. Not well, but the injection pump will cycle fuel and pressurize. It eliminates any electrical issues and isolates the fuel pump as the problem. Well, it was the problem...well, the other problem. Replaced the lift pump to make sure it was getting adequate volume again. In a bread truck, the pump kind of sucks to do. In a truck, you're looking down on it, and more room in front to pull the gear off the pump. Got it done, they were happy.

Next one: SBC '85 half ton 4x4. New motor, guy says it runs but dies when hot. Fire it up, idles fat, but we'll start looking it over. Oil gage shows 0 when warm :oops: Crap, screw in a mechanical gauge, it's fine. New sending unit put in. Mess with carb, Quadrajet, mixture screws aren't changing much, if at all. Checking for vacuum leaks, and it develops a slight knock...well, this is new. Call owner, he says "Oh yeah, my mechanic says it's the heater lines knocking as it gets to temp."
WTF? Well, now I know why you're here...
View attachment 1149749
Tools of the day. Bore scope came out to validate my theory. With a stethoscope, something was angry in the #2 cylinder. Didn't take a pic on the phone, but showed the customer what appeared to be brass or bronze on the piston top...new .030 flat tops. I think a guide came apart. New Chinese aluminum heads...China never built Chevy motors, and shouldn't! View attachment 1149751
Buttoned it back up. Done for now. Engine builder says he'll make it right, and I'll dial it in after the fact...maybe.

Then there was this this week, "My mechanic tried to patch it"
Shoot him...
View attachment 1149752
Different bread truck guy, same business...let's say the deliver stuff...in white vans...but they all know each other. Word gets out I guess at the distribution centers.
First off, that's an Ace Hardware fitting. They have their place, but this isn't it. These pumps are something like 2000psi at idle. The line had split from rubbing. It rubbed because a previous "mechanic" was too lazy to put the keepers back on.
View attachment 1149753
Six new lines, with keepers. These came from eBay I was told...they sucked. All the bends were there, but not always in the right spot. Some tweaking was required. In the end, it's done and owner is happy.

This fits under the mercenary part. There are guys that usually do the general stuff, but apparently I get the stuff others don't want. It's all the same to me, just nuts and bolts. I'd rather do this than brakes and oil changes, that gets boring to me.

I have a sliding scale. If someone else worked on it before, 2x rate.

If your buddy and a website claim it's easy to do and I'm over charging from my estimate, 3x rate.

😆

You sir, are a great boon to your circle of clients, and I hope they recognize how lucky they are to have you!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Jeezus, 24v Cummins trucks coming out my ears! A guy's 99 Dodge dash was lit up like a Christmas tree...idling rough, then occasionally rolling up to 1700rpm, while in park! Scanned it, crank position sensor. Luckily, 99 had the crank sensor behind the starter. In 00 or so they went to a cam sensor. Same deal, but the cam one makes you play twister, it's kind of under and behind the injector pump. The crank sensor is more work, but less frustrating, and I think less time. Swapped out, runs like a top again!

Got a call, bread truck down. Hiccups, coughed and died. Restarted hard, made it to the next stop, and that was it.
20220830_133804.jpg

Some of these trucks have this idiot light. Cycle the lift pump, should go off for a second or so. Well, it didn't. When cranking. Flashed, but no joy. 3 nuts, 2 fittings and a plug. Down the road, with light off.

When asked, the owner had no clue about the light. No idea what it was, or how long it was on...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@SBMech , sliding scale shifting gears in a few minutes. Guy sent pics of a broken belt, on a compressor, on a jobsite. Another foam spraying POS. I tell him I'll get back to him, I need to find a belt.

His response: "I don't have time, I need an answer NOW!"

Yessir, "I'll be there in an hour."
Honey and vinegar...his attitude was quite a bit more piss and vinegar.
Should have popped for new belts the past three services, but didn't want to.

Lack of planning on your part does not become an emergency on mine.
Time to hit NAPA for an A-60, and Maverick for a soda...