WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20240214_162825.jpg

Rewired the trailer plug to a 7 pin, so I can add a battery later, and hopefully electric brakes. It was a flat 4 I put on it when I first picked it up...had a round 5. Then, first "test drive". Went 2 miles of rutted or washboard dirt road at 25mph or so...did not take it easy. Then 2 miles on pavement, reaching 50. Compressor moved a little, and the writing tray wiggled out a little. Only about 50lbs in the toolbox, but a little fine tuning and I'll be moving on to liquids storage in the tack area.

Typical romantic Valentines Day here in Monkeyville.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Rolling through this thread and the pic below caught my eye. if you are anything like me, this corner will jump out and grab you when you already pissed off and in a rush. maybe round it off or at least put some door edge moulding around it? not trying to nit pick, just something that caught my eye.

1707956531895.png

4Waters

Reaction score
Rolling through this thread and the pic below caught my eye. if you are anything like me, this corner will jump out and grab you when you already pissed off and in a rush. maybe round it off or at least put some door edge moulding around it? not trying to nit pick, just something that caught my eye.

View attachment 1335238
Good catch, the back of my hand is bleeding just looking at the pic

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
View attachment 1335236
Rewired the trailer plug to a 7 pin, so I can add a battery later, and hopefully electric brakes. It was a flat 4 I put on it when I first picked it up...had a round 5. Then, first "test drive". Went 2 miles of rutted or washboard dirt road at 25mph or so...did not take it easy. Then 2 miles on pavement, reaching 50. Compressor moved a little, and the writing tray wiggled out a little. Only about 50lbs in the toolbox, but a little fine tuning and I'll be moving on to liquids storage in the tack area.

Typical romantic Valentines Day here in Monkeyville.
Looking good Kevin.👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

View attachment 1335238
The lower part of the radius, the open side, is about a half inch from the flat face of the box. I wanted to do a tube cap, cut in half. What I'll have to do though, is cut a piece of tubing to space the cap so the radii will match. What I'll probably do for now is slit a few inches of vacuum line, and run it around the edge. It's not real sharp, but I could see it turning into a mellon baller :oops:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
First thing's first...or "safety third" around here.
20240217_175009.jpg

So, started work on the tack area. Should be able to fit 5 5gl buckets. Figure oils, ATF and hydraulic fluid.
20240217_173055.jpg

Loaded the tool box almost completely...even the fun drawer. Rethreading and EZ-outs. Ever seen one of these? Large thread chaser/repair. Works on spindles and axles.
20240216_191250.jpg

So, it's probably 80% loaded weight wise. So road tested again. Still need to work on brakes, hate surge brakes, but it will keep them for now. Tracks straight at 70, feels pretty decent...just kind of weird.
20240217_182000.jpg

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
First thing's first...or "safety third" around here. View attachment 1336353
So, started work on the tack area. Should be able to fit 5 5gl buckets. Figure oils, ATF and hydraulic fluid. View attachment 1336354
Loaded the tool box almost completely...even the fun drawer. Rethreading and EZ-outs. Ever seen one of these? Large thread chaser/repair. Works on spindles and axles. View attachment 1336356
So, it's probably 80% loaded weight wise. So road tested again. Still need to work on brakes, hate surge brakes, but it will keep them for now. Tracks straight at 70, feels pretty decent...just kind of weird. View attachment 1336358
Most likely because it was never intended to haul the actual limit of weight haha!

A horse and tack for a big Quarter Horse is only around 1500-1700 LBS....Jerry Lee (our old war horse) was 1200-1300, a Percheron Draft Cross that was YUGE (Tri Tone Paint that did Dressage...!)

Anyhooo as usual everything looks bitchin buddy, keep on keepin on! ;)🤘

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Most likely because it was never intended to haul the actual limit of weight haha!

A horse and tack for a big Quarter Horse is only around 1500-1700 LBS....Jerry Lee (our old war horse) was 1200-1300, a Percheron Draft Cross that was YUGE (Tri Tone Paint that did Dressage...!)

Anyhooo as usual everything looks bitchin buddy, keep on keepin on! ;)🤘
That's kind of why I figured this would work out. The horses we had were 11-1200lbs each. Not huge, but not small. This trailer was a bit overkill for them, but was setup with te watertank on the nose, and the rack for bales. It's also 7ft on the inside, pretty tall. Horses have a high center of gravity, so the axles are drop axles. In comparison, I've put the mass pretty low. Never really had a trailer with this narrow of track.

Hell, if this works out, and I can buy a cheap 1ton 4x4, I have an old 6 horse head to head with living quarters. Then I could run a full shop 🤣

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
First thing's first...or "safety third" around here. View attachment 1336353
So, started work on the tack area. Should be able to fit 5 5gl buckets. Figure oils, ATF and hydraulic fluid. View attachment 1336354
Loaded the tool box almost completely...even the fun drawer. Rethreading and EZ-outs. Ever seen one of these? Large thread chaser/repair. Works on spindles and axles. View attachment 1336356
So, it's probably 80% loaded weight wise. So road tested again. Still need to work on brakes, hate surge brakes, but it will keep them for now. Tracks straight at 70, feels pretty decent...just kind of weird. View attachment 1336358

Much better on the open edge of the counter top. I could see it being like a cheese grater as you rush by it. No one wants to see chunks of Kevin on RDP like in the Pit Bull thread. 👍

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That's kind of why I figured this would work out. The horses we had were 11-1200lbs each. Not huge, but not small. This trailer was a bit overkill for them, but was setup with te watertank on the nose, and the rack for bales. It's also 7ft on the inside, pretty tall. Horses have a high center of gravity, so the axles are drop axles. In comparison, I've put the mass pretty low. Never really had a trailer with this narrow of track.

He'll, if this works out, and I can buy a cheap 1ton 4x4, I have an old 6 horse head to head with living quarters. Then I could run a full shop 🤣

If you get the bigger trailer set aside an area to sleep. Do repair calls in the evenings. You cold make bank with the crapping conditions of the 40. The you will need to change your screen name. I’d like to suggest going from @monkeyswrench to “Midnight Monkey Mechanics” or just go by 3M. LOLOlololol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you get the bigger trailer set aside an area to sleep. Do repair calls in the evenings. You cold make bank with the crapping conditions of the 40. The you will need to change your screen name. I’d like to suggest going from @monkeyswrench to “Midnight Monkey Mechanics” or just go by 3M. LOLOlololol
"Midnight Auto Supply" is what we used to call parts from "questionable" individuals. I knew a bunch of said suppliers. The problem with anything other than flat repair or semi truck stuff is the variety of electrical issues in modern cars.

Diagnosis is no problem, getting the parts, or having them, is the issue. Even with the semis now, it could be a problem. It used to be all you needed was some filters, belts and maybe a fan clutch. Now, you need a fairly pricey scanner, to tell you a sensor is bad...and there's a lot of sensors!

One of the other issues is just in appearance. Really, if I owned a 100k vehicle, would I trust someone showing up with a horse trailer and an SUV? I guess it's a step up from a Prius, but a pretty low bar. As it is, some of the work I do now, is usually done by guys with F650 utility trucks, with cranes and welders. Most of those guys charge a lot, or sometimes turn up their nose at some jobs. I don't want to get rich, just want to pay my bills and stay out of debt.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So tinkered a little more, and recycled some more stuff. Shortened some junk shelves and mounted them in one manger, and cut a 2x6 into a wedge and shaped it to locate jackstands. The hose and cord hooks are some random tack hangers I bent to fit. The idea is the rubber will keep the stands from bouncing. Also "mounted" the hi-lift. It can be useful for lots of stuff other than lifting, like pushing or pulling skid mounted equipment, or aligning stuff like hydraulic cylinders or booms.
20240218_172721.jpg
20240218_172833.jpg
20240218_172802.jpg

On a side note, learned something new. Apparently when on BP meds, Dayquil is a no-no. So, wife whipped up some decongestant...I know it had Cayenne, ginger and some other stuff. Makes Tabasco seem mild. Works good, and stops coughing too...but it burns.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Something fun filled and exciting yesterday. Skid steer tracks. I've removed tracks before to replace messed up idlers, bogies and even one tensioner someone managed to screw up...but never put on new tracks.

They suck balls!

The old ones are, apparently, a whole lot easier to work with. They're still heavy as hell, but flexible enough to "roll". All you have to do is straddle the end, grab each side and pull. Pull, step back, pull...repeat until out of the way or in position.
20240227_103630.jpg

In this case, some wood cribbing is under the back. You push the bucket down and pivot the rear down. Same deal on most tracked deals. This one was getting new sprockets as well, because the tracks were of an upgraded design. The rear idlers need to be removed to do that. There are 4 bolts on each idler, and they aren't light. They have a vertical alignment brace, but can move close to ³/⁸the horizontally. This one was in good shape, so it went right back to the witness marks. If it were hammered, you'd have to, or should, mark the position. I found the torque specs online, and they were in Nm (Newton Meters, not New Mexico). Thread locker is required, and then torqued down with my handy-dandy digital beeping wrench...previously used only for tty stuff.

Now, remember I said new tracks suck? I flopped one off the pallet, thinking I had a chance. That F'r laughed at me! Being fresh vulcanized pieces, they didn't want to "roll". I'm not quite the gorilla I once was, now just a monkey. Luckily the owner had a mini-ex, and knows how to run it. That thing picked up those 600lb tracks like tissue paper. The owner helped me pry them on after using the other tractor to get them lined up.

I've also decided I need bigger prybars. A 48" Snap-on and a 40" Mac barely worked....learning curves.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Something fun filled and exciting yesterday. Skid steer tracks. I've removed tracks before to replace messed up idlers, bogies and even one tensioner someone managed to screw up...but never put on new tracks.

They suck balls!

The old ones are, apparently, a whole lot easier to work with. They're still heavy as hell, but flexible enough to "roll". All you have to do is straddle the end, grab each side and pull. Pull, step back, pull...repeat until out of the way or in position. View attachment 1341429
In this case, some wood cribbing is under the back. You push the bucket down and pivot the rear down. Same deal on most tracked deals. This one was getting new sprockets as well, because the tracks were of an upgraded design. The rear idlers need to be removed to do that. There are 4 bolts on each idler, and they aren't light. They have a vertical alignment brace, but can move close to ³/⁸the horizontally. This one was in good shape, so it went right back to the witness marks. If it were hammered, you'd have to, or should, mark the position. I found the torque specs online, and they were in Nm (Newton Meters, not New Mexico). Thread locker is required, and then torqued down with my handy-dandy digital beeping wrench...previously used only for tty stuff.

Now, remember I said new tracks suck? I flopped one off the pallet, thinking I had a chance. That F'r laughed at me! Being fresh vulcanized pieces, they didn't want to "roll". I'm not quite the gorilla I once was, now just a monkey. Luckily the owner had a mini-ex, and knows how to run it. That thing picked up those 600lb tracks like tissue paper. The owner helped me pry them on after using the other tractor to get them lined up.

I've also decided I need bigger prybars. A 48" Snap-on and a 40" Mac barely worked....learning curves.

Laughing cause I've been there. I use 6' rock bars. Or any thick wall 2.5" pipe and you can kind of roll them in.

Good stuff! 😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Laughing cause I've been there. I use 6' rock bars. Or any thick wall 2.5" pipe and you can kind of roll them in.

Good stuff! 😂
Used some gnarly 2" pipe...compressed the tensioner more and took some slack out of the econo-sized rubber bands. definitely need to put digging bars in the horse trailer when it goes into service. I think I scrapped all my early Ford driveshafts though...a little grinder work and those things are perfect.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Used some gnarly 2" pipe...compressed the tensioner more and took some slack out of the econo-sized rubber bands. definitely need to put digging bars in the horse trailer when it goes into service. I think I scrapped all my early Ford driveshafts though...a little grinder work and those things are perfect.

Old tracks make cool garden beds in front of the shop.

4Waters

Reaction score
Shit, had 2 Model A driveshafts we gave to the scrap guys a few months ago.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Old tracks make cool garden beds in front of the shop.
That's funny! That was my suggestion. Too heavy to throw away, would last forever as planters.

Shit, had 2 Model A driveshafts we gave to the scrap guys a few months ago.
Model A and 1932 drive shafts are probably the best, already tapered on one end.

The Chicken

Reaction score
Crap! We should have gotten pictures of the super-cool redneck track grapple we rigged up!:D
Thanks again! Machine is much happier with new shoes. 👍👍

Just in case there happens to be somebody reading this who owns one of these older Takeuchis, what we got for it is not just new tracks, but a kit from Bridgestone (who was the OEM track manufacturer for the Taks) called a pitch kit. The Taks have a unique and robust track system-but it rides like shit. The pitch kit changes the track pitch to a more common and closer spaced pitch (thus the sprocket change). The result is a machine that is a completely different animal. It's so smooth and quiet now it's like a brand new machine. If you own one of these, I would highly recommend this conversion kit. It will probably pay for itself just from not bouncing stuff off the pallet forks anymore. I'd also highly reccommend Track Hutt www.trackhutt.com whose owner gave solid advice and great service in getting these parts to me at a great price point.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Crap! We should have gotten pictures of the super-cool redneck track grapple we rigged up!:D

Just in case there happens to be somebody reading this who owns one of these older Takeuchis, what we got for it is not just new tracks, but a kit from Bridgestone (who was the OEM track manufacturer for the Taks) called a pitch kit. The Taks have a unique and robust track system-but it rides like shit. The pitch kit changes the track pitch to a more common and closer spaced pitch (thus the sprocket change). The result is a machine that is a completely different animal. It's so smooth and quiet now it's like a brand new machine. If you own one of these, I would highly recommend this conversion kit. It will probably pay for itself just from not bouncing stuff off the pallet forks anymore. I'd also highly reccommend Track Hutt www.trackhutt.com whose owner gave solid advice and great service in getting these parts to me at a great price point.
Normally I don't name drop who has what...but if they speak up it's OK. Otherwise you may get those random messages...like asking to borrow car trailers and stuff 🤣

I'm just glad the tracks worked as advertised. If you order a set of boots, you'd be pissed if you got Converse. That's a lot of money and effort for new shoes. Not like the shoe store where you can try them on either.

Did you notice the @dread Pirate 's planter box comment? It may be a universal thing for boondock dwellers;)

wash11

Reaction score

This is exciting, the poor ride characteristics kept me from borrowing your skiddy more often. Please top the fuel off in that bitch for me. ;)

The Chicken

Reaction score
Normally I don't name drop who has what...but if they speak up it's OK. Otherwise you may get those random messages...like asking to borrow car trailers and stuff 🤣

I'm just glad the tracks worked as advertised. If you order a set of boots, you'd be pissed if you got Converse. That's a lot of money and effort for new shoes. Not like the shoe store where you can try them on either.

Did you notice the @dread Pirate 's planter box comment? It may be a universal thing for boondock dwellers;)
I think your no name drop policy is sound unless you've cleared it with the owner.
I just chimed in really to thank you.
And on the really long shot that that track info helps someone else out.
And yes! Saw the planter box comment!! :D

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I think your no name drop policy is sound unless you've cleared it with the owner.
I just chimed in really to thank you.
And on the really long shot that that track info helps someone else out.
And yes! Saw the planter box comment!! :D

Rubber tracks = planters
Metal tracks = fire pits

Or they just sit along the back fence forever,,,,
🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, Friday, headed home from Timbuktu, get a text from the old man at the shop down the way. Wanted to know if I could do a generator service on a Freightliner and an outside door handle on a Topkick Saturday. I stopped by on my way home, and picked up the handle. I figured I'd do that in the yard, and then grab the other truck to do the service.

My first thought was "Hell No", but, I'm mercenary...and we all have to eat ;)

The Topkick is a pile, 2003 with no less than 4 types of self tappers holding te door panel together and to the door. Got that figured, and jumped into the Freightliner. It's a baby M2, with a Detroit 4cyl...2021. Get it to the shop, and shop owner, the son, is a bit annoyed I didn't fire up the genny before driving it over. He seemed to mellow out when I explained I was already driving "out of class"(truck has air brakes and is over 26k) and didn't want to risk drawing attention with a pony motor running. Last thing I needed was to be lit up by DPS...and I'm pretty sure there are legalities on running a motor in the box of a truck that should be running placards:oops:

So, as I'm warming up this Kohler diesel genset, I pull the file on it. Shows that last time in, had a small coolant leak. "Leaking from exhaust, tightened hose clamp." So, I took a look.
20240302_124003.jpg

Hmmm, still has a fresh stain. Shut off the motor, and start draining oil. Take a good look...
20240302_123944.jpg

Hose clamp is tight, that's for sure....but that isn't the issue.
20240302_124147.jpg

The hose itself had tiny cracks that started to sweat coolant. So, drained a couple gallons from the radiator, and made a new hose. Kind of weird, seen this on older stuff, but this thing is only 2-3 years old.

Just another Saturday!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Big day! First trial run with the pony express. Trans service, oil change and spark plugs in a 2014 GMC. Still don't have new tires yet, but this was just a mile past the mail boxes, about 6 miles from home.
20240310_141748.jpg

Actually spent some money on the trailer this week 🤣 I added door holders so the wind won't slam them shut. Still using a clamp for the rear door until I make something better. A 4x4 short bed I think would be a great tow rig, but I can actually snake the little trailer around pretty good with the Excursion....just have to watch the nose, and thinking 4x4 may come in handy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20240312_075746.jpg
Heavy traffic on the way to "work" yesterday...makes you not mind the commute.

Now, the bad part of the day, the POS had an issue. Triangle of Death...the warning light that all is bad. A year and 2 weeks ago I had a rebuilt battery put in. Last night I got home, and looked. Yep, 2/27. It was a fiasco when I had it done. 1st one lasted 1 day, second one lasted 4 and then this one. Well, I look at my txt messages. The 27th was the day of the 1st one. It took 3 days to get the second. Then it took 15 to get the third. Car was down for 18 days total...well,well. The final one went in 3/31.

So I call the prius guru, to see if he'd step up. Nope. Reman battery is 1500. Returning customer and discount, 1250. I paid 1350 last year...

I'm pretty hot. Explained the time issues, and seems mathematically I'm bellow the date when figured downtime. Nope, no joy. He said he can maybe do it Friday, but for sure Monday.

I said I'll take care of it. Going online to look at chargers to balance cells. It doesn't look like rocket science...but I'll find out 🤣

Monkeys Wrench, Hybrid and POS repair coming soon!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Last week I get a call that a foam truck is down...as well as a few others. I kind of laugh, never happened when they had me near full time. I digress...

Truck "has no power". I check, 3p genny is powering everything but compressor. Obviously the problem is there...oh shit.
20240329_163118.jpg

Being just smart enough to be dangerous, I figure the black transformer thing powers the the switch which powers the white thing on the right...well, supposed to. I go online, and yes, it is, but no it's not. Cool, get a transformer coming after checking voltage inbound.

Late in the week, get the transformer, and install it. Same thing...oh shit! Use a lifeline, call @The Chicken . He's a voltage guru. He explains that 220 stuff can be misleading, and to check continuity with things isolated. Shit! Blown fuse was getting voltage on both sides!

He explains that the fuse could pop if the transformer goes bad, and told me how to check the old one. Luckily, it was shorted across the fields...so I didn't throw their money away. Found the one fuse of this type in the area, popped it in and everything works again!

Most importantly, I now know the names of the white thing, what does what and how, and how to troubleshoot it...I may be worth a 5.50 an hour now!

Parts are on order for the POS...stay tuned for more high voltage stupidity...DC edition.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Other fuckery from last week:
Insulation blow truck. Short back story, this truck was placed back in service because their main one died (3 money makers broken) This thing is another pto driven assembly. The sprocket on the left is the input. It runs an external keyway as a fuse basically. Something jams the machine, shears the key.
20240327_111148.jpg

The keyway is loose from being abused, so the high tech fix in a hurry, hose clamps and new key stock. The thing is, this is what is broken, but not the reason, just an effect. I was called about 5pm. By 7, chain drive was reassembled, and test run. Chain hopping, trying to derail. Shut it down, dive into the fluff filled main hopper, and check those tines for debris. None. Check the intermediate chamber, it's clear. One place left, loader assembly. It's a radial deal, loads chambers that get rotated into the blower stream.
20240327_111140.jpg

One of the rubber sweepers had caught a roofing nail. Just enough to catch the lip at the top when it came around.

By the time I'd determined the loader issue, it was 8pm. I was told "okay, we'll get it fixed tomorrow, thanks"...:mad:
I was/am a bit perturbed. Wouldn't have taken long at all to finish it up, and the guys could have had it working the next morning. I think they ended up keeping it majority of the next day. Apparently, I cost too much. Well, that, and the guy running the show now doesn't like me much.

If I didn't need the money, I'd quit answering their calls. It's degrading as hell being treated like a shop bitch. Other people I work for treat me more than respectfully, super nice in fact. This particular shop is just a necessary evil at this point.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
After dinner tonight, got started on resealing a B400LV steering pump. BIG pump off a dump truck. I'd started to redo it on site, but cut a seal. Felt like a damn moron. So, brought it back home, got the mic out and found seals. The kit was chinesium...screw that. Found SKF's, German owned Mexican parts instead 🤣

20240401_121757.jpg

Cleaned all the parts, and found the center bolt missing, was actually broken. Damn. Oh well, just another step. The seals I found for the shaft were half width, so the will ride either side of old wear surface.
20240402_184548.jpg

What screwed me on the last seal, was trying to jump this step without proper gear.
20240402_184647.jpg

So this time I used a seal pusher. These things are great for seals, there very smooth but strong enough persuade things.
20240402_185513.jpg
20240402_185518.jpg

Finished off a few minutes ago, drilled and removed the broken bolt...good time to stop. Tomorrow reseal the reservoir, and maybe checkout the runout and see the if I can lesson the end play.
20240402_190857.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
After dinner tonight, got started on resealing a B400LV steering pump. BIG pump off a dump truck. I'd started to redo it on site, but cut a seal. Felt like a damn moron. So, brought it back home, got the mic out and found seals. The kit was chinesium...screw that. Found SKF's, German owned Mexican parts instead 🤣

View attachment 1354380
Cleaned all the parts, and found the center bolt missing, was actually broken. Damn. Oh well, just another step. The seals I found for the shaft were half width, so the will ride either side of old wear surface. View attachment 1354382
What screwed me on the last seal, was trying to jump this step without proper gear. View attachment 1354383
So this time I used a seal pusher. These things are great for seals, there very smooth but strong enough persuade things. View attachment 1354384 View attachment 1354385
Finished off a few minutes ago, drilled and removed the broken bolt...good time to stop. Tomorrow reseal the reservoir, and maybe checkout the runout and see the if I can lesson the end play.[room ATTACH type="full"]1354386[/ATTACH]
.., here’s what scares me… I understood everything you said…
… I am thoroughly impressed with your procedure👍

wash11

Reaction score

View attachment 1354380
Cleaned all the parts, and found the center bolt missing, was actually broken. Damn. Oh well, just another step. The seals I found for the shaft were half width, so the will ride either side of old wear surface. View attachment 1354382
What screwed me on the last seal, was trying to jump this step without proper gear. View attachment 1354383
So this time I used a seal pusher. These things are great for seals, there very smooth but strong enough persuade things. View attachment 1354384 View attachment 1354385
Finished off a few minutes ago, drilled and removed the broken bolt...good time to stop. Tomorrow reseal the reservoir, and maybe checkout the runout and see the if I can lesson the end play. View attachment 1354386
I'm pretty excited about this. That pump has puked oil since the day we bought that truck. Over the course of 8 or 9 years, I've dumped a 55 gallon drum of power steering fluid in it! Thanks Kevin

lenmann

Reaction score

View attachment 1354380
Finished off a few minutes ago, drilled and removed the broken bolt...good time to stop. Tomorrow reseal the reservoir, and maybe checkout the runout and see the if I can lesson the end play. View attachment 1354386
Tell us curious students more about this "seal pusher" tool. My quick Google search brings up lots of seal pullers and seal drivers but nada on seal pushers.

BTW, this is one of the better threads here on the ol RDP. I almost always learn something new from the journals of your adventures. Thanks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tell us curious students more about this "seal pusher" tool. My quick Google search brings up lots of seal pullers and seal drivers but nada on seal pushers.

BTW, this is one of the better threads here on the ol RDP. I almost always learn something new from the journals of your adventures. Thanks.
I'll try to find the "official" name. The ones I have are SnapOn. The only reason they are, saw them on the truck and at a time I was fighting with an old vent window seal. I'm sure others make them.

Here they are:
"Soft Grip Seal Removal Tools"
0007121_4pc-soft-grip-seal-remover-set-1299494848.jpeg

They are great for O-rings and stuff, like those on transmissions and injectors, or those lip seals in counter bores. The paddle on the end is flat, smooth and no sharp edges. Sometimes I have to reuse seals, and this won't scar them like a pick might...especially when your hands are slimy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Busy afternoon, older son had a spasm deal, whipped his neck to the back and right...smacking his head into the window sill behind where he was sitting. Took him to be checked out at ER...no sign of concussion or orbital fracture...he hit hard.

So, after dinner I started reassembling the pump. Earlier in the day I'd popped the reservoir off, and found a filter in there! Figured it needed changing.
20240403_190927.jpg
20240403_191018.jpg

The element is gone in places, clogged in others. The housing itself is suffering metal fatigue. Called everywhere, looked online, had Jeff at NAPA search the books...NA. Found a definite maybe, but it was over 100$! Nope. Before reassembly, owner happened to call, and I checked to see if it was ok to install an external one. He's good with that, and it makes it serviceable without pulling the whole thing apart.
20240403_184800.jpg

Here's what's inside. Those are the two studs that hold the cover on, and a bracket when installed. I made new studs, the old ones looked a little rough.
20240403_190301.jpg

It now has 3 bolts again! They came out a little loose, and they weren't shouldered. They had worn thin on the surviving 2. Hopefully 3 with shoulders will help. I also Loctited those as well as the studs into th pump.
20240403_191027.jpg

Got the key back in the shaft, and the pulley back on, right about sundown.

This will go back on next week. I have to get a filter, and this is ready to go.

RichL

Reaction score
Busy afternoon, older son had a spasm deal, whipped his neck to the back and right...smacking his head into the window sill behind where he was sitting. Took him to be checked out at ER...no sign of concussion or orbital fracture...he hit hard.

So, after dinner I started reassembling the pump. Earlier in the day I'd popped the reservoir off, and found a filter in there! Figured it needed changing. View attachment 1354834 View attachment 1354835
The element is gone in places, clogged in others. The housing itself is suffering metal fatigue. Called everywhere, looked online, had Jeff at NAPA search the books...NA. Found a definite maybe, but it was over 100$! Nope. Before reassembly, owner happened to call, and I checked to see if it was ok to install an external one. He's good with that, and it makes it serviceable without pulling the whole thing apart.
View attachment 1354836
Here's what's inside. Those are the two studs that hold the cover on, and a bracket when installed. I made new studs, the old ones looked a little rough.
View attachment 1354837
It now has 3 bolts again! They came out a little loose, and they weren't shouldered. They had worn thin on the surviving 2. Hopefully 3 with shoulders will help. I also Loctited those as well as the studs into th pump.
View attachment 1354838
Got the key back in the shaft, and the pulley back on, right about sundown.

This will go back on next week. I have to get a filter, and this is ready to go.
Sorry to hear about your son's situation.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Monkeys and high voltage: A POS Story

Ok, had determined on the scanner that "block 13" was low...about 1.5 volts. That's what kicked the light and put it in limp mode. A 1500cc motor in limp mode is like a 2000lb skateboard.

Ordered 2 "refurb" modules, 2 make a block. They arrived last night.
20240405_100000.jpg

This is the battery unit, sits behind the rear seat.
20240405_100932.jpg

28 modules, paired into 14 blocks. Damn Toyota numbers them right to left. There should be one bolt on each module holding them to the chassis...lower pan. The trusted hippy rebuilder from Phoenix bolted in all of 6 of them. Made it easier to disassemble, but a bitch to put it back together.
20240405_105544.jpg

The little black things are temp sensors, there are three of them, and they clip on the bottom of the battery modules. Before I blew it apart, I checked voltages on all the modules, and wrote them on the tops. I also verifies the bad one. When I reassembled the stack, ditched the bad one, and then matched the highest to lowest all the way down to try and make them as equal as possible as paired into blocks.
20240405_105559.jpg

I put everything back together, and put it back in the car. I then plugged it into a 300v grid charger, it is a 2400ma thing, for 3hrs. Pack voltage went from 214, to 252.

Drove it 25 miles, so far so good. Do it again later. Battery blocks are within a half volt, and higher than they were. Hopefully this fixes it...damn Excursion is killing me. It goes a bit further between fillups, but holds 30 gallons more :oops:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, Monkey is expanding services available 🤣
With the help of another inmate, I got a part time side hustle. To be more accurate, I added another side hustle to go with the ones I had. Some people have careers, I think I may have 15 part time jobs. Anyways, I am now a sub for warranty inspections. Put simply, I document other people's broken stuff at repair facilities. I've broken and fixed stuff all my life, weird to just look at it. I see it as being beneficial in a couple of ways. One, it's a little more coin. Two, seeing stuff that breaks on newer cars. Newer cars will eventually be older cars, and won't have warranties. Expanding my knowledge base, without having to pay for it. Here's one from the other day.
20240409_110215.jpg

This is from a '17 Ford. It has "adaptive steering". The the "steering torque input sensor" is throwing a code. That sensor is part of the wheel itself. Probably not a cheap assembly. Space shuttle stuff! Leave it to Ford to do something like that.

Yesterday the necessary evil shop called me again. Rear leaf spring swap...in a Freightliner. Spring is about 150# and loads of fun. I think this was the fourth one I've done for them.
20240410_154506.jpg

Went to the farm today, and installed the steering pump. Also found an air leak, lubed the PTO controls and freed up the door latch.
20240411_134006.jpg

Dish soap and a spray bottle were loaded this morning. Just like lowrider stuff, but half inch lines. This s the crossover fitting from the "wet tank". Also drained the tanks to dewater them.
20240411_151648.jpg

The one closest to the seat is the PTO lever. That was the more troublesome one. Pulled them apart to lube the cables. Put it back together...and the other one didn't work! Turns out, one of the screws is an eighth inch shorter...sumbitch! That small amount will interfere with the lever travel, it turns out. Easy fix, but pretty stupid, both me and the designer🤣

Been a busy 3 days...I don't remember Monday though...getting older or something I guess🤨

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, started looking at the Prius today...headlamp has been on the fritz for years. HID thing. Turns out, the housing has not only a ballast, but an ecu as well. The bulb lights, but will flicker, ballast buzzes too. Well, the bulb is like 40$ the ballasts and ecu are about 80 each.
Trying out one from the wrecking yard. 22$ for an entire assembly.

On the way home, passed the Amazon center up here. Struck me odd, an old car in the employee lot. As I got closer, it was the super bitchen, low mile, 37 I worked on! The guy who accused me of stuff, failed to finish paying...yeah, his car. He's a retired union operating engineer from Cali.
Apparently he's made some decisions costing him in other ways...sad really, but at least the car is running good still.

Also, drove through the trailer hood. The kid that gave my son shit in football for not having the best cleats, and not having the funds for a carbon fiber helmet, well, looks like he's moved. The kid's an arrogant prick, and one of the main reasons my son has decided not to play football. His parents are really to blame, they are a special breed. I feel bad for the kid, even though he treated my boy poorly...on the other hand, my boy did pick him up and throw him out of the weight room a few weeks ago.

Karma's a bitch. I know first hand...she'll knock you upside the head. I'm going to go out and tinker with my 20yo POS now. Weird days we're starting to see around here.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, the POS isn't winking anymore ;) Next on the list is the cracked windshield, but that'll wait.

Today went to a property to work on yard equipment. Little old lady, she was a nurse, career Navy. She's also a widow. Apparently her husband was a bit her senior, career pilot, Air Force. He passed away a few years back.

A couple of little projects. One was get a riding mower back together. The husband had pulled the deck off, and it sat. It also needed brakes. Cleaned the carb and figured out the belts and deck. Ran great, just didn't stop! That was a fun test drive. She then said "oh yeah, the brakes don't work, can you fix them?" Sure thing. (Never done mower brakes before, not bad at all)
20240415_161153.jpg

A tiny little 4"disc and 2 friction. It's gear reduced, like a pinion brake. Works surprisingly well.

The other was an old Yanmar 3cyl tractor. Runs great, just had to use a screwdriver to jump the solenoid. Solenoid worked, switch worked, just had to run a new wire. Apparently the one in the harness had a break in it. Took care of that, put the engine covers back on that had been sitting out back for years and adjusted the brakes some. Cute little tractor.
20240415_162844.jpg

Furthest the horse trailers been. We went 20 miles! Still need tires:oops:
Was nice to have a bit of everything though. A torch to shrink-wrap, spare wire and stuff. Pretty handy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tales from the necessary evil shop: they needed help...
Get a call, can I do an injector on a Freightliner. Yes, yes I can. I go over, and the truck is in the yard. I ask if I can bring it in to bay 4....only bay big enough. Nope, no go. They don't want to tie up that bay, I guess I may take too long.
20240416_152748.jpg

About an hour later, new #6 injector going back in. By hour 3 it was running again. The crank case breather bolts to the valve cove with 8-10 bolts. Apparently, their Crack maintenance staff over tightened them, spinning out all the inserts.
20240416_185314.jpg

For now, one bolt will do.scanned, cleared codes, and put away tools. Of course, that's when I see bay 4 is still empty:mad:
20240416_190144.jpg

Oh well. Made some money, truck runs...guess all is well!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
… Well, no… All is not well… Bay 4 is still empty and the company is probably gonna go broke… but shit does happen🤷🏽‍♀️
Yep. The son is running it downhill pretty quick. He likes supervising, but going to be wrenching real soon. His two main guys are out pretty soon. One put in notice he's leaving the state in 5 weeks...he told them a while ago. The other put in his 2 weeks last Friday.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Yep. The son is running it downhill pretty quick. He likes supervising, but going to be wrenching real soon. His two main guys are out pretty soon. One put in notice he's leaving the state in 5 weeks...he told them a while ago. The other put in his 2 weeks last Friday.

I'd tell him to call me when bay 4 is available. Until then, I'm unavailable...

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'd tell him to call me when bay 4 is available. Until then, I'm unavailable...

Dan'l
He got hit with a distance surcharge...it took me an additional hour to clean up and scan. It also took nearly twice as long to reassemble as it did to tear down.

The sad thing, the injector is a shotgun. They can't figure out why rail pressure drops occasionally, and throws it in limp. 2 or three weeks ago, they had me check it out...I think it's the fuel pump. They are afraid to do it. The injector had had misfire codes for 3-4 years, but only 2 or 3 every month or so...I don't think it suddenly went out, and still reading the same. They also never shut down the cylinder to check...just bought one and had me swap it.

This being an ISB, and not a pickup, the pump is in back, under the intake ledge and above the air compressor. That's why they won't do it. I did the compressor in this truck 5 years ago...it wasn't fun.